T-Mobile US ad parodies Apple, shows iPhone 4 saddled by AT&T

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbyrd View Post

Truth hurts, eh? There is no reason in the world that face time shouldn't work on 3G...

This should be good. Tell us how Apple is at fault that the open FaceTime protocols may have disallowed by carriers? By your reckoning, Skype was half baked for only working on PCs at first. :rollseyes:
  • Reply 22 of 66
    I worked in advertising for a couple of years and I have to admit that I never liked the concept of mentioning someone else's product in your ads. No matter how pretty a picture you paint of yourself, you are giving them free publicity at your expense.

However, I did like the recent Amazon Kindle commercial that showed glare on a reader device (iPad) but didn't actually mention the device by name.

That being said, I do use my jailbroken iPhone on T-Mobile because AT&T sucks.
  • Reply 23 of 66
    Pretty funny.
  • Reply 24 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Try clicking the Flash box on front page of this post (I assume you are running ClicktoFlash and missed it).

Yeah, thanks. I love ClickToGetYourEyesRapedByFlashAds. I've just grown accustomed to ignoring it on ad-supported sites.

She's hot, but not enough to sell me on a myGrope 4G.
  • Reply 25 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Now that you mention it, I can?t recall it beating up the iPhone, expect indirectly for the carrier it?s on.

I wonder if it is T-Mobile's way of getting a subliminal message to Apple, that if indeed they are ending exclusivity with AT&T and have gone so far as to break their mold of one standard phone (with various memories), and are now creating a phone to compliment CDMA technology used by Verizon and China or whoever else, that T-Mobile is saying 'Look at us, too!'... "T-Mobile is pitching its wireless network as the largest "4G" network. While technically built on "3G" technology, the carrier's HSPA+ network operates at "today's 4G speeds,"
  • Reply 26 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Steve Jobs acknowledged that they need to "work a bit" with cellular providers to enable video chat over 3G.

IOW, "we have not been able to secure any partners yet, but we will announce this shite like it is some kind of a breakthrough that is new and exclusive".
  • Reply 27 of 66
    T-Mumble WILL leave their current '4G' customers using the 1700 mhz band because their new boss - Nokia - will tell them to. I just find it hard to believe that these two haven't gotten married yet?? Other, than the fact that T-Mumble has got some handset manufacturers contracts to work out - usually pretty simple, and Nokia has a bizzillon old , very old, and ancient handsets they have to dump somewhere before they get 'reborn'.....HA!
  • Reply 28 of 66
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

It's a pretty effective commercial. I like it.

I tend to put ads like this in the same category as recent political ads. There's some truth to the claims but it's mostly smoke and mirrors, spin, and misdirection. The time is coming, however, when we'll see if the proof is in the pudding. At&t's exclusive agreement is running out. The iPhone will be available on other networks. Then and only then will we see if the anti-at&t raging is valid or not. We will see if Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile networks can handle the iPhone. Most analysts seem to think that iPhone users suck up much more bandwidth than Android users. Why that is I don't know but it appears to be factual.

So sit back and wait. We'll know soon enough.
  • Reply 29 of 66
    Yesterday, T-Mobile referred to their network as 3G. Today, they call it a 4G based on speed comparisons. (Does that mean Verizon should really be called a 2G?)

These are all marketing gimmicks.
  • Reply 30 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Yesterday, T-Mobile referred to their network as 3G. Today, they call it a 4G based on speed comparisons. (Does that mean Verizon should really be called a 2G?)

These are all marketing gimmicks.

They are and it?s great. I hope they all start marketing higher ?G?s until this marketing tactic becomes common knowledge and they finally fall back to terminology that is defined and useful.
  • Reply 31 of 66
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,213member
    Sprint's use of the higher 1700 MHz frequency restricts its penetration.

Penetration of building infrastructure of course.

In many cases, 4G will not go all the way.

Thus making Sprint the Christine O'Donnell of the cell phone industry.
  • Reply 32 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This should be good. Tell us how Apple is at fault that the open FaceTime protocols may have disallowed by carriers? By your reckoning, Skype was half baked for only working on PCs at first. :rollseyes:

Apple is at fault for not being multi carrier after three going on four years. When you have competition, you get innovation instead of stubbornness.

Apparently T-Mobile can make it work on their network without crashing. Why can't ATT? :crosses eyes:

Frankly I don't really care what everyone's excuses are. Apple, just make it work. That's your job.
  • Reply 33 of 66
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,787member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Yeah, thanks. I love ClickToGetYourEyesRapedByFlashAds. I've just grown accustomed to ignoring it on ad-supported sites.

YVW. Is it just me ... but it seems something not quite right about AI posting a Flash version and not even having the HTML 5 version to load when running ClicktoFlash ...
  • Reply 34 of 66
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,787member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

It's not a witch too?
  • Reply 35 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

LOL... That could mean one of 2 things:

1. Both are witches

2. Both are not very good at "penetration"

• Reply 36 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbyrd View Post

Apple is at fault for not being multi carrier after three going on four years. When you have competition, you get innovation instead of stubbornness.

Apparently T-Mobile can make it work on their network without crashing. Why can't ATT? :crosses eyes:

Frankly I don't really care what everyone's excuses are. Apple, just make it work. That's your job.

1) Who said AT&T can’t make it work? You’re assuming because Apple didn’t add that feature immediately out of the gate that it doesn’t work for AT&T. The fact is that it does work on AT&T as jailbroken iPhone 4s have clearly shown.

2) You suggest Apple should be multi-carrier in the US simply because you want them to, but you haven’t addressed any contractual obligations Apple may still have with AT&T. You’ve also ignored the fact that all high-profile devices have carrier lock-ins and haven’t even begun to address why a handset vendor would want a carrier lock-in in the first place or why Apple might agree to a 3 or 5 or x-year deal with a carrier in order to do get leeway in trying some game changing tactics that could pull power from the carriers and into the handset vendors. Do you deny that Apple has done with in the handset market?
  • Reply 37 of 66
    Dumb.
  • Reply 38 of 66
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    I don't know. "Really?" I kinda think they did a better job than Microsoft. "Really?"

Kinda understood the message a little bit better. "Really?"

At least it didn't hurt my eyes. "Really?"
  • Reply 39 of 66
    She's Hot!!

Is it me or does that guy getting a piggy back look like Ballmer?
  • Reply 40 of 66
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    It would be great if Apple and the big 4 could get along here. Once that new Verizon compatible phone becomes a reality, it shouldn't be to hard for Apple to be useable in all 4 carriers.

They have to start somewhere, if they really plan on making this a truly Universal one size fits all phone.

One thing about FaceTime. You figure if it ever becomes 3G or 4G capable. Somebody will have to pay for all those minutes you use it that way.

I think that will defeat the purpose in why Apple made it available thru WiFi first. They are trying too push the Carriers to accept all the calling to be Data wise.

I am sure the Carriers don't want to accept that position because that would cut down their lucrative cell and text charges.

We will have to wait to see who blinks first. Apple does have some things going their way though.

That White Space provision should start showing up in 2011. Also that WiFi direct thing might be a little bit bigger than what many give them credit for. Oh Well. Just have to wait and see.