T-Mobile US ad parodies Apple, shows iPhone 4 saddled by AT&T

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    iq78iq78 Posts: 256member
    .... Slams AT&T.

Not only does the commercial NOT dog Apple, it actually compliments them.

Apple is represented by a good looking (sexy) dude. Nah, I'm not gay (but it was confirmed by my wife) who is saddled with a out of shape ugly dude. They wouldn't put the contrast there if they didn't mean it.

I think they understand that they don't want to dog Apple in fear of future deals with them. Steve Jobs is known for sticking to his guns when it comes to backing up threats. He might have told all the carriers if they want to have a chance to carry the iPhone, they better not blast it. So, my guess is you'll only see other phone makers blasting the iPhone, and the carriers will stick with just blasting each other.

-GP

(Damn, I just realized you could read my 3rd sentence to mean I'm an out of shape ugly dude!) For the record, I was talking about the guy representing the iPhone (not me.)

But I do happen to be an out of shape ugly dude, who my good looking wife is obviously saddled with.
  • Reply 62 of 66
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

I worked in advertising for a couple of years and I have to admit that I never liked the concept of mentioning someone else's product in your ads. No matter how pretty a picture you paint of yourself, you are giving them free publicity at your expense.

However, I did like the recent Amazon Kindle commercial that showed glare on a reader device (iPad) but didn't actually mention the device by name.

That being said, I do use my jailbroken iPhone on T-Mobile because AT&T sucks.

Well apparently your concept doesn't agree with the folks that awarded Apple the campaign of the decade, in which they consistently call out the competition... to great effect, according to the market share gains that the Mac OS has seen.

Thompson
  • Reply 63 of 66
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbyrd View Post

Because it isn't there. Unless you suggest it's Apple's limitation, in which case it is Apple's fault.

As the earlier poster said, FaceTime works over 3G on a jail broken iPhone, suggesting that there are no technical obstacles to overcome. The capability is basically being blocked until AT&T and Apple come to an understanding about its use on the AT&T network. The issue is most likely a combination of (1) what kind of bandwidth increase on AT&T's already struggling networks will this cause when it goes massively "live", and (2) can AT&T somehow monetize it?

In other words, the issue is politics, $$$, and resources. That's the way of the world we live in, so you can't just blame Apple for that.

Thompson
  • Reply 64 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

And they come out swinging! I just checked and their 4G map isn't as embarrassing as I thought.

*Puts on Capt Obvious hat*

PS: She's hot.

*Takes off hat*

Agreed. She's really hot.
  • Reply 65 of 66
    bwinskibwinski Posts: 164member
    Ads banging on ATT because of iPhone - you got a better idea, also ran??? Gonna put some iPhone on that renamed 3g slush pit you got t-mumble to add some speed..???

T-Mobile stores selling iPhone stuff because of European customers coming into a T-Mumble store to get a cable for their iPhone..Really??? NOT...

IF you want to share in the iPhone movement, then instead of trying to side-swipe the carrier and the consumers knowledge, just ask Apple to give you a cut?? WHY won't you clowns just come out and say to Steve - Hey, we want some too??? Is that real hard?? Or is that just too damned easy??
  • Reply 66 of 66
    Just couldn't pass it up as a marketing writer that sees fraudulence when it so vagrantly waves itself in your face. The commercial is not really brilliant at all. Someone got paid more than anyone on here (just a guess) to NOT do anything. Gets my goat. They found a couple of dopey stand ins and stole Apple's format. Come on!

Stupid T Mobile isn't original enough to come up with their own commercial format. If they're too lazy to think of their own campaign then why should I believe their service is worth my spit?

And no I don't think that vapid person in a red dress is cute. Even SHE isn't original. T Mobile rips off the ad campaign and then casts a Liv Tyler (and an Owen Wilson) wannabe. There's NOTHING original about the commercial. Not even the "talent"-less.

And IMHO Liv Tyler is the only one for me - not T Mobiles personality-less half-wit.