T-Mobile US mysteriously begins selling Apple iPhone USB cable

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
T-Mobile has reportedly begun selling its own branded "Charge & Sync USB Cable" licensed for Apple's iPhone, fueling speculation that the handset could soon become available on the American carrier.

A photo of the product, also licensed for use with Apple's line of iPods, was provided by an anonymous source to Engadget on Friday. The source indicated that T-Mobile's corporate stores in the U.S. will now carry the cables, leading to speculation that their stocking could be in preparation for an iPhone launch.

Since the device debuted in 2007, the iPhone has been exclusive to AT&T in the U.S.

The USB cable could also be seen as evidence that T-Mobile will begin selling the iPad. Apple recently partnered with Verizon -- another carrier that does not sell the iPhone -- to sell its touchscreen tablet last month. However, T-Mobile's retail box makes no mention of the iPad.

The apparent availability of the product comes as a T-Mobile executive this week blamed the company's poor performance on the fact that it does not sell the iPhone in the U.S. The carrier has 33.76 million customers, making it the smallest of the four major wireless carriers in America.

T-Mobile this week also released a new advertisement parodying Apple's "Get a Mac" commercials, and suggesting that the iPhone 4 is held back by AT&T's network. The carrier is advertising its expanding HSPA+ network as "America's Largest 4G Network."

T-Mobile has long been rumored to be a potential home for the iPhone, should Apple's exclusive agreement with AT&T end. However, most rumors of late have focused on Verizon, with numerous major media outlets reporting that it will offer a CDMA version of the iPhone in January 2011.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    They might just be overwelmed with people who come in requiring service/support that already utilize the tmobile network with jailbroken iphones? Prolly a stretch but who knows. But... if their customers are using iphones it only makes sense to offer accessories...
  • Reply 2 of 29
    [QUOTE=AppleInsider;1747306]T-Mobile has reportedly begun selling its own branded "Charge & Sync USB Cable" licensed for Apple's iPhone, fueling speculation that the handset could soon become available on the American carrier.

This could also mean that Apple is trying to get T-mumble to sell this inventory for them so T-Mumble can start selling the old, Nokia handsets - probably 5-10 million of them before Nokia buys T-Mumble!!! So T-Mumble is becoming kinda like the e-bay of old telephony tech...hummm... warehouse prices for old parts with rust!! Come get a thousand today!!!

Looks like T-MUMBLE is about to crater.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    Um, no. Apple doesn't have warehouses full of black charging cables. For that matter, why would T-Mobile bother to put their own brand on it? You make no sense, Bwinski.

On the other hand, as an unlocked iPhone user on T-Mobile, it would be great for them to start carrying it... unless it meant I could no longer keep my ultra-low, no-data voice plan that I use right now with this iPhone 2G.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by josephwinters View Post

If their customers are using iphones it only makes sense to offer accessories...

That was my thought, too. Last time I visited a T-Mobile store the employees didn't try to hide the fact that iPhones worked on their network.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    There is really no story (nor conspiracy) here. T-Mobile has been actively helping iPhone users unlock their phones since 2007, and they gladly support and welcome the iPhone on their network. If you call up T-Mobile and tell them you have an iPhone, they will be more than happy to transfer you to their iPhone team to help you unlock your phone and get whatever support you need. This cable is probably just to help out their existing customers.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    iPad.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arlomedia View Post

That was my thought, too. Last time I visited a T-Mobile store the employees didn't try to hide the fact that iPhones worked on their network.

I got the same story and an offer to upgrade my service to accommodate the iPhone (without the at&t bells and whistles, of course).
  • Reply 8 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

iPad.

hmm if I can get an already subsidized iPhone from ATT to put on my network for a customer, even if it works on 2G.... its a cash cow for me as a carrier. I bet there are a few iPhones on Tmo's network
  • Reply 9 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

iPad.

There ya go. Nothing more to see here, folks, move along.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    If true, this certainly shines a new light on their latest television campaign. The ads are clearly designed to cast AT&T as the villain...not iPhone.

If Apple intends to try to keep up with Android, they are going to have to expand the number of networks they are available on. Maybe we're seeing the first signs that the AT&T stranglehold is about to be broken.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donnst View Post

Um, no. Apple doesn't have warehouses full of black charging cables. For that matter, why would T-Mobile bother to put their own brand on it? You make no sense, Bwinski.

On the other hand, as an unlocked iPhone user on T-Mobile, it would be great for them to start carrying it... unless it meant I could no longer keep my ultra-low, no-data voice plan that I use right now with this iPhone 2G.

I have the same setup and it wouldn't surprise me that T-Mobile offers this cable as a result.

Also, jailbreaking is legal (I am so happy I avoided a double negative in that statement) and T-Mobile in my area is 10x better than AT&T, so why not?

If T-Mobile offered the iPhone 3GS I would probably get one.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    There is no way T-Mobile is paying Apple the required license fee if it isn't going to carry the iPhone. Rock on. T-Mobile beats Verizon in terms of pricing and customer service any day. I also have better reception in the Ann Arbor Michigan area then many of my friends on AT&T.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by josephwinters View Post

They might just be overwelmed with people who come in requiring service/support that already utilize the tmobile network with jailbroken iphones? Prolly a stretch but who knows. But... if their customers are using iphones it only makes sense to offer accessories...

• Reply 13 of 29
    T-Mobile does support iPhones and they don't hide it. Why not sell accessories?
  • Reply 14 of 29
    envirogenvirog Posts: 188member
    I hope T-Mobile gets the iPhone by the release of the 5th gen iPhone next year. Either way I'll be getting one as I have no interest in any android phone. Which means I'll likely be switching carriers next summer. Come on T-Mobile...I want to stay with you guys-beg Apple!
  • Reply 15 of 29
    [QUOTE=Bwinski;1747327]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

T-Mobile has reportedly begun selling its own branded "Charge & Sync USB Cable" licensed for Apple's iPhone, fueling speculation that the handset could soon become available on the American carrier.

This could also mean that Apple is trying to get T-mumble to sell this inventory for them so T-Mumble can start selling the old, Nokia handsets - probably 5-10 million of them before Nokia buys T-Mumble!!! So T-Mumble is becoming kinda like the e-bay of old telephony tech...hummm... warehouse prices for old parts with rust!! Come get a thousand today!!!

Looks like T-MUMBLE is about to crater.

it's tmobile branded WITH the made for ipod "sticker" they had to pay apple to license it. You can't sell dock connectors unless you pay for licensing. seems that a company "about to crater" wouldn't spend money on licensing for a piece of wire.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    b1937b1937 Posts: 11member
    Could Apple be wanting to go into the mobile phone provider bus. with some of that cash they are sitting on? MMmmmm.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mactoid View Post

If true, this certainly shines a new light on their latest television campaign. The ads are clearly designed to cast AT&T as the villain...not iPhone.

If Apple intends to try to keep up with Android, they are going to have to expand the number of networks they are available on. Maybe we're seeing the first signs that the AT&T stranglehold is about to be broken.

Yeah, it would be awesome if iPhone ran over T-Mobile's so-called 4G network.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    unicronunicron Posts: 154member
    Well, we all know the profit margins on cables are ridiculous. So T-Mobile wants to sell a cable for the some of the most popular gadgets on the market (iPod/Phone/Pad). Their cost is minimal and the return on investment is substantial. I wouldn't read any more into it than that.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    [QUOTE=Bwinski;1747327]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

OK, now that might be the strangest, most unmotivated, theory I've read on here in a long time.

Thompson
  • Reply 20 of 29
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    I don't get it. Supposedly the iPhone is not capable of working with T-Mobile because the frequency is not in the phones chip. What do the Jailbreakers or T-Mobile do to make them work?