Mac OS X 10.6.5, iTunes 10.1 to arrive Wednesday, iOS 4.2 Friday - rumor

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why? [filler]

Just because I think people are moving more to a "pay-per-view" model as opposed to a "free" model that has the incessant commercials. Very much like how people have moved away from land line telephones towards only having a cell phone.

If I watch "free" TV, then yes, I should be expected to "watch" inane commercials...

But if I'm paying ~$60/month for cable then I shouldn't have to watch the inane commercials as well.

Isn't it obvious with all the crap that's on television? I cancelled my cable, I watch Fareed Zakaria, GPS on CNN via a free video Podcast, same with This Week with Christiana Amanpour I do miss Formula One...but really that's about it. As an example, I'm one to think that we would all be better served if we didn't watch Fox News or MSNBC!

Best
  • Reply 22 of 44
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Yeah, I think it can only work with a) printers that have direct support, and b) "print servers" that have the appropriate driver installed.

In regards to capacity to hold the drivers, the TimeCapsule could easily swing it but I don?t think the AirPort Extreme or AirPort Express have the requisite space. This makes me wonder Apple would add an extra GB or two for printer drivers to allow the AEBS (and possibly the AE), and future TimeCapsules could get AirPrint as standard. It would appear to me that this could help with their sales with little effort on their part.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The software update will bring folders and multitasking to the iPad, along with other features iPhone and iPod touch users have enjoyed since the launch of iOS 4 this past summer. iPhone owners will also gain the ability to have custom text message tones with the latest version of iOS.

I have 4.2GM and don't see an option for Custom Text Message tones, however I do see the new ones. Artice needs to be corrected or I need to be educated. If it is latter, please let me know asap as I would love to have my own SMS tone.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by initiator View Post

I don't like the iTunes 10 UI and have no desire to upgrade until they restore some color. Why on earth is it required to upgrade the firmware in my iPhone to iOS 4.2? Seems strange.

I have to laugh at the reasons people give for things.

Give up printing, airplay, folders, multi-tasking because you want pretty colors in iTunes?

The other one that cracks me up is forgoing 4.2 because it takes away the physical orientation lock.

LOL.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

PSS. My Apple ecosystem is getting more and more simple. An iPhone 4, a 3Gs iPad, AppleTV, NetFlix, no internet cable provider, no cable TV company, no desktop, no external HD backup, no DVD player, no music player and no cables! just the cloud, baby!

On one BIG HONKIN' monthly bill for your access to that cloud.
  • Reply 26 of 44
    Quote:

I don't like the iTunes 10 UI and have no desire to upgrade until they restore some color.

It's always about color isn't it?
  • Reply 27 of 44
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

... The other one that cracks me up is forgoing 4.2 because it takes away the physical orientation lock.

I was initially unhappy about losing the physical orientation lock, but after thinking about it for a while, it's actually kind of difficult to use with the Apple case on the iPad, so I think the software lock will actually work better for me. I don't think I've ever wanted to mute, so I don't care that it isn't easy to flip for that.
  • Reply 28 of 44
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

Give up printing, airplay, folders, multi-tasking because you want pretty colors in iTunes?

Particularly since it is fairly easy to restore the colour in iTunes 10.x.
  • Reply 29 of 44
    Quote:

The other one that cracks me up is forgoing 4.2 because it takes away the physical orientation lock.

LOL.

I thought apple fans liked things to be beautiful. Didn't steve make a point if it in the leopard keynote? "look at our utilities in coverflow! They're beautiful"

I held off upgrading iTunes, but I had to when I got my apple tv. Of all the things people were clamoring for in the new iTunes, I don't think gray icons were one of them.

I hope the upgrade brings back the color.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    Quote:

Brought back in two weeks by 4.2.1.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I was initially unhappy about losing the physical orientation lock, but after thinking about it for a while, it's actually kind of difficult to use with the Apple case on the iPad, so I think the software lock will actually work better for me. I don't think I've ever wanted to mute, so I don't care that it isn't easy to flip for that.

Hate it. Running the 4.2 GM and that's the only thing I hate about the software. This is absolute nonsense.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hate it. Running the 4.2 GM and that's the only thing I hate about the software. This is absolute nonsense.

Ditto.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    Quote:

I don't like the iTunes 10 UI and have no desire to upgrade until they restore some color. Why on earth is it required to upgrade the firmware in my iPhone to iOS 4.2? Seems strange.

Now that is a real deal breaker. Now moving on to something important...like a burp or a yawn.
  • Reply 33 of 44
    4.2 coming and expext some surprises that Apple has not bothered to mention intentionally in order to keep the competition at bay.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Eventually, yes!

lol, that is funny. because it will never happen.

i pay for Sirius radio and am listening to commercials RIGHT NOW as i type this.....

i pay for cable TV, i pay extra for HD channels, i pay extra for the box that makes the HD channels i pay for viewable....... and wait for it...... there are commercials on those channels.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

4.2 coming and expext some surprises that Apple has not bothered to mention intentionally in order to keep the competition at bay.

Hmm, nope. GM seed has been out a while. No surprises, as expected.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

LOL.

Both are non issues, proliferated by people with nothing better to criticize.

iTunes UI? Who cares. Looks fine to me. Still works. (maybe better)

Lock Switch? Who cares. Now it's the same on all iOS devices. Makes sense. End of discussion really.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

I wonder if they will have graphic drivers for Snow Leopard finally?

Still an army of us stuck in Leopard... waiting... hoping...

you do realize that the graphics drivers for 10.6 are much better than anything 10.5 has... yes? Sure they had some minor issues when they came out for many GPUs, but that was fixed a long time ago.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    Still not here in UK
  • Reply 39 of 44
    ..tick...tick tick...tick tick...

Could be this rumor was genrated by the Dallas Cowboys front office? They are so impeccable in their management.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Makes sense. End of discussion really.

Well played, sir!