Apple may delay support for AirPrint through Macs and Windows PCs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mattcline;

I'm using the GM and AirPrint works fine for me with an HP printer shared from my Windows 7 box. This is a newer HP all-in-one, but it does NOT support ePrint.

So I think this is either overblown, or completely false.

Reporting around here is gone like that lately.
  • Reply 22 of 63
    If you really need printing that badly, there's a dozen apps that do it already. And they do a much better job than AirPrint because they support ALL printers.
  • Reply 23 of 63
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

If you really need printing that badly, there's a dozen apps that do it already. And they do a much better job than AirPrint because they support ALL printers.

Tongue in cheek: Grab them before they're yanked.
  • Reply 24 of 63
    I'd just like a Print To PDF option on my iPhone and iPad. I can email myself the PDF for printing.
  • Reply 25 of 63
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    While I really have no urgent need for that feature... it seems strange that the cancellation of such a highly advertised feature would be communicated by developer support to a single developer.

Especially since some application developers have already submitted apps including that function (some are live already) and the GM of 4.2 not having been revoked. I can't really see how this adds up at all. If developer support would be authorized to make such statements, a general alert to all developers should have been sent out.

If there really is some truth to this story, I assume it must be related to something severe that popped up last minute, like a grave security issue or a reasonable patent claim.
  • Reply 26 of 63
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    This could be the reason why Apple hasn't given us the official release date for iOS 4.2.
  • Reply 27 of 63
    I call BS on this since implementing it isn't incredibly difficult. This kind of thing is why CUPS exists.
  • Reply 28 of 63
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    I don't have either of the above listed printers, in fact, I had an older HP Photosmart and airplay works just fine with 10.6.5. I can confirm AirPrint is working in 4.2 GM.

• Reply 29 of 63
    WTF....

So now we aren't even looking at alleged emails from Steve Jobs to make conclusions regarding the future direction of Apple products, but are looking at alleged emails from Apple customer care to developers who post about these alleged emails anonymously on a forum?

Seriously, wtf, is wrong with Apple rumor mongering these days...
  • Reply 30 of 63
    Wow. What a heaping pile of angst over a rumor. Good heavens my word. Why don't we just wait a few more days and see what the reality is on release? Just pondering the wonder of it all...

PS: did anyone notice that the contributor is the anonymous AppleInsider Staff. No one is going to hang their moniker on this little gem I guess...
  • Reply 31 of 63
    Using 4.2GM on iPhone 3GS and iPad, air printing works perfectly with a Canon pro9000, Brother Laser Printer, and an old HP Photosmart 7900 printer. These of course are shared from my MacBookPro with OSX10.6.5.

Whoever accepted this story and reported it without checking the validity of the statement should be taken out the back, castrated, hung, drawn and quartered. Then taught how to be a reporter.
  • Reply 32 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KT Walrus View Post

I'd just like a Print To PDF option on my iPhone and iPad. I can email myself the PDF for printing.

This is why I am surprised at the delay.

All the iPad has to do is send a PDF to the Mac - and get the Mac to print it.

How hard can that be?

C.
  • Reply 33 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarklarMarklar View Post

Using 4.2GM on iPhone 3GS and iPad, air printing works perfectly with a Canon pro9000, Brother Laser Printer, and an old HP Photosmart 7900 printer. These of course are shared from my MacBookPro with OSX10.6.5.

Whoever accepted this story and reported it without checking the validity of the statement should be taken out the back, castrated, hung, drawn and quartered. Then taught how to be a reporter.

I guess anything controversial is good for advertising clicks, especially on a slow news day.

Time will tell.
  • Reply 34 of 63
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

This whole AirPrint thing has me confused. Do I need OSX 10.6.5, iTunes 10.1, and iOS 4.2 for it to work with a shared printer?

I'm currently running iOS 4.2, 10.6.4, and the latest iTunes 10.1 beta and my iPhone 4 can't see either one of my shared printers.

Yes, you need 10.6.5.
  • Reply 35 of 63
    It surprises me that you guys would report this without checking the details of the story first. If you rad their story, and follow the links in it, what they say isn't true. They claim that Apple removed all references for AirPrint from their websites entirely. But if you follow the links, that just isn't true. Last night when I looked, it seemed as if Apple replaced the old AirPrint promotional material with new info on their site. Maybe MacStories caught it between updates. For example, on their software update page (http://www.apple.com/ipad/software-update), they still display AirPrint prominently when MacStories says it's been removed.
  • Reply 36 of 63
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarklarMarklar View Post

Thank you for this info. It is rather strange that one unverified report (that could easily have been true but incorrect) is being held up as plausible when all beta testers report as you have.
  • Reply 37 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matthewmspace View Post

The guy in charge of iOS Software (vice president) development is Scott Forstall.

I looked it up. I'm thinking of Tim Cook. Execution has slipped big time as of late. Apple has looked foolish over and over again.
  • Reply 38 of 63
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It works fine from iMac to aTV just not from iPad

What works fine? People have been doing this ^ since 2006???
  • Reply 39 of 63
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

I looked it up. I'm thinking of Tim Cook. Execution has slipped big time as of late. Apple has looked foolish over and over again.

I'm sorry what part of this makes Apple look "foolish"?

Releasing a feature at is not ready, would in fact, be foolish.
  • Reply 40 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I'm sorry what part of this makes Apple look "foolish"?

Releasing a feature at is not ready, would in fact, be foolish.

They look foolish when they announce stuff and then can't come through. Like the white iphone.

They look foolish when they ship products with design defects, like the iPhone 4 with an external antenna.