RIM's PlayBook will take on Apple's iPad with a price under $500

Comments

• Reply 81 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

If you're going to go bigger than a phone, you might as well keep going until you get some real usability, instead of hanging out in the uncanny valley of too big to pocket, too small to get much done. I would say 7" is almost exactly the perfect awkward size, giving you the worst of both worlds.

Rim would say that their tablet fits perfectly in their typical customer's inside jacket poket, or in a lab coat pocket, like what a doctor would wear in the office or on the hospital.

So much for the iPad being a Portable Device? You seem to write it off.
  • Reply 82 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Geez, you really try everything to twist reality?

"Nope"
  • Reply 83 of 132
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I don't see anything remarkable in that video -- horizontal scrolling seems a bit laggy.

It is only laggy because it was playing a HD video and running numerous other apps in the background.
  • Reply 84 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

The Playbook has little chance of dethroning the iPad.

They don't have the HW specs (9.7" screen) nor the SW ecosystem. HDMI ports and cameras are more CE type of features that are unlikely to hold sway with people looking at Tablets IMO.

A user-facing camera makes sense for video conferencing. A rear-facing camera makes little sense for a tablet. It would mean that you'd have to hold the tablet up in order to photograph your subject. Feasible for a "smartphone" form factor. Not feasible for a tablet form factor.

I agree that HDMI also doesn't make sense for a tablet that positioned for the "professional" business market. Unless projectors of the future will all have HDMI only for video input, which is highly doubtful.

The video promo was interesting, because it looks like they're targeting hip, cool consumers, rather than stuffy, uptight business "suits"*. They definitely want their business customers to think of themselves as hipster managers who wear cargo pants and "think outside the box!"

* Having women sing "We're the Blackberry Boys" in your ad?FAIL.
  • Reply 85 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

The video promo was interesting, because it looks like they're targeting hip, cool consumers, rather than stuffy, uptight business "suits"*. They definitely want their business customers to think of themselves as hipster managers who wear cargo pants and "think outside the box!"

* Having women sing "We're the Blackberry Boys" in your ad?FAIL.

That video came from Vodafone's ad campaign in India --- nothing to do with RIM.
  • Reply 86 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

That video came from Vodafone's ad campaign in India --- nothing to do with RIM.

Well, being that it mentions the name Blackberry, RIM is necessarily connected with the ad, even if it has a Vodafone tag at the end. RIM can't rightly claim, "hey, we had nothing to do with it!!" But Indian ads are horribly sexist in general, so it's not much of a surprise, though still disappointing.

But, sexism aside, I posted the link to demonstrate the overall campaign to reposition Blackberry as hip & cool rather than uptight and stuffy.
  • Reply 87 of 132
    Quote:

But, sexism aside, I posted the link to demonstrate the overall campaign to reposition Blackberry as hip & cool rather than uptight and stuffy.

What overall campaign? You are basing your argument on a carrier ad campaign --- in a third world country.
  • Reply 88 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

Wedgies. Where did you get that for a name?

Because it splits the distance between an iPod and and iPad -- it's wedged in between them...

... and I'm a little crazy

• Reply 89 of 132
    Quote:

It is only laggy because it was playing a HD video and running numerous other apps in the background.

They weren't always playing HD video and it was still laggy. As someone called it "a proper OS" for the device -- Shouldn't that OS be able to manage system resources and suspend/terminate background apps (saving state) when critical functions like the UI are degraded?

Oddly, the iPad, running iOS 4.2 with much less hardware resources and lack of a "proper OS" does this quite well...

...go figure!

• Reply 90 of 132
    Quote:

They weren't always playing HD video and it was still laggy. As someone called it "a proper OS" for the device -- Shouldn't that OS be able to manage system resources and suspend/terminate background apps (saving state) when critical functions like the UI are degraded?

Oddly, the iPad, running iOS 4.2 with much less hardware resources and lack of a "proper OS" does this quite well...

...go figure!

At precisely which point was the demo UI laggy?
  • Reply 91 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kuttysark View Post

1. Here is a video of the playbook actually running. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7hoAzojQh0

2. With the same resolution as the IPAD, you have a better looking Playbook screen since it will be more pixel dense. And if you say it's not, your full of crap since it's the same premise for the Iphone 4 Retina display.

3. The IPad is to big and clumsy in my opinion (Yes I OWN a non 3g Ipad). Not pocketable, and the 4:3 ratio screen, I mean c'mon, really.

4. As for developing for the playbook, I develop with Adobe Air, and I've already started making apps and it was a breeze. And with the "Get a Free Playbook with a approved App before launch" I'm sure plenty of people will jump on it.

5. I need enterprise level security for my medical apps. And out of box Blackberry delivers.

6. If you watched the live video I posted of the device running, you will actually see it playing the HD video while running in multitask mode.

7. USB, and HDMI ports, and dual HD Cams, oh thats right, not on the Ipad.

8. Playbook has EXPANDABLE MEMORY which is my #1 complaint about the ipad.

You Fanboys best get your heads out your nether regions and recognize a credible threat.

first off those 2 wizards of GEEK on stage have 0 personality factor going for them, thats right out the box and since they're oozing so much of that 'COOL' factor I couldn't resist to comment here but come on man did you NOT SEE how hard he had to press on the screen to get it to do something??? and who cares about simple pie charts (thats so 1980's) i wanna puke and throw up now-- and why do you think they didn't allow the press or anybody but these awkward lQQkin dudes to present this CRAP... can't wait until consumer reports gets this junk to review and so what the 1st gen iPad doesn't have CAM or HDMI or whatever you are complaining about- I NEVER buy 1st generation aNYTHING, i went for rev 2 to get the bells and whistles and iPad 2 will have dual cams and HDMI and USB and green EXORCIST SPIT for u clowns who H8 the BEST TECH in the WORLD!!!!! haterrrrrrrrrzzzzz
  • Reply 92 of 132
    Quote:

What overall campaign? You are basing your argument on a carrier ad campaign --- in a third world country.

1. Don't get defensive. I wasn't criticizing Blackberry/RIM for wanting to position themselves as hip & cool. At the very least, RIM gave passive support to the ad by allowing their product to be written into the chorus of the jingle. I'm pretty sure that if RIM had any objection to the tone, message or content of the ad?even though it's a Vodafone ad?they would have voiced their objections, and it would not have gotten any airplay.

2. I happen to live in that "third world country", so I would appreciate it if you not use a pejorative/dismissive tone in reference to it. Thank you.
  • Reply 93 of 132
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

I'll take no3

No way! I called dibs on Jessica Alba when she was in Idle Hands.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

In fact, the Touch is so small, you can fit it in a shirt pocket. Which is exactly the tradeoff that makes the size worth it. Anything much larger-- too big to put in a shirt pocket-- means you lose the big advantage of that size, and just get the disadvantages of not big enough.

Maybe the solution is bigger pockets.

Quote:

It appears as if the LG Prada emerged few months before the iPhone. But by then, after years of development the iPhone design and specs were cast in concrete -- no time to copy anyone!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_Prada_(KE850)

It was mid December 2006 (or about 3.5 weeks before the iPhone was demoed) with many months of rampant iPhone rumours with made most of use feel it was a certainty. It was also pretty basic in HW and SW.

The device GSM(GPRS/EDGE)-only like the original iPhone. Remember, the lack of ‘3G’ that would doom the iPhone in the US? Note that LG Prada was released in Europe where UMTS '3G’ was rampant, but wasn’t well covered by AT&T or well used by Americans at that point.It was also about $175 more the iPhone. Remember the iPhone’s other feature, t’s $600 unsubsidized price point? Finally, to keep this brief, it wasn’t multi-touch. It was a single capacitance touchscreen, but that simply wasn’t possible then with a Symbian OS (as I recall) and a Flash Lite UI, not too dissimilar to the Blackpad with its Adobe Air UI.

Based on the short time frame between the announcement (or was it a leak?) and the iPhone’s official announcement with an exhaustive demo, combined with the rampant rumours of an Apple smartphone with a well know MacWorld date coming up, I have to wonder if LG was simply trying not to have it’s Prada drown in a see of Apple media, which is what inevitably happened for the reasons mentioned above.
  • Reply 94 of 132
    Quote:

... and I'm a little crazy

Crazy is far more interesting than "normal", so bravo!!!
  • Reply 95 of 132
    Quote:

1. Don't get defensive. I wasn't criticizing Blackberry/RIM for wanting to position themselves as hip & cool. At the very least, RIM gave passive support to the ad by allowing their product to be written into the chorus of the jingle. I'm pretty sure that if RIM had any objection to the tone, message or content of the ad?even though it's a Vodafone ad?they would have voiced their objections, and it would not have gotten any airplay.

2. I happen to live in that "third world country", so I would appreciate it if you not use a pejorative/dismissive tone in reference to it. Thank you.

If you scour the whole planet, you can probably find some idiotic Apple ad campaign from local Apple distributors as well. I fail to see it has any significance at all.
  • Reply 96 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Maybe the solution is bigger pockets.

Yes. By this time next year, we'll be able to download "Pocket Expansion Kits" to accommodate all those 7" tablets that will be out in the wild.
  • Reply 97 of 132
    Quote:

At precisely which point was the demo UI laggy?

2:35 scrolling through tasks

2:55 SAP Drill-down

3:50 Chat Drill-down

He "says" all these things are "running" in the background -- I think he doesn't understand that they are suspended. When he taps on a suspended app it comes to life and updates.

4:00 He says a "PowerPoint preso is running live" in the background-- What does he think the preso is doing in the background? Creating slides dynamically?

4:47 He shows HD video running on 1/10 of the small screen in the background. First, once loaded and started, likely the video is played using the GPU and/or the other core -- no big deal. Second, while a nice demo -- what is the objective of running video in the background? Run down the battery? Isn't the OS and/or the "system video player" app intelligent enough to suspend when deactivated?

5:00-5:05 Some flicks with noticeable delays.

On the iPad, the flick is instantaneous. On the iPad you can drag your finger, quickly, back and forth and the content moves along with your finger - not a fraction of a second later, then catch up to your finger.

On the iPad it's as if you are actually moving the content. In the movie, with the PlayBook, it appeared he was pointing to where the content is to move and which direction -- the move starts at the end of the gesture instead of at the beginning!

Subtle, but that's what makes it magical!

5:53- 6:11 load and start YT video -- 18 seconds

It's anecdotal but I was able to bring the same video up over WiFi in 9-15 seconds -- and play it in YouTube HD at full screen. That's with a single-core A8 processor, 256 MB of RAM and an "improper OS" -- as opposed to the PlayBook's dual-core A9, 1GB RAM and a"proper OS" at 1/2 (of a smaller) screen.

• Reply 98 of 132
    Quote:

If you scour the whole planet, you can probably find some idiotic Apple ad campaign from local Apple distributors as well. I fail to see it has any significance at all.

The Vodafone/Blackberry campaign was a national ad campaign in India, not some "idiotic ad campaign from a local distributor". And, to be clear, my only criticism of the ad was its sexism, which is pervasive in India. Saying that they want to position themselves as hip & cool was an observation, not a criticism.

I would love to be able to position myself as hip & cool. Maybe someday. A guy can dream, can't he? Sigh.
  • Reply 99 of 132
    So which one of those many, flashy content demos was actual size? Sure, bus-stop wind screens that show moving ads are great but that's not really this product is it?
  • Reply 100 of 132
    Quote:

2:35 scrolling through tasks

2:55 SAP Drill-down

3:50 Chat Drill-down

He "says" all these things are "running" in the background -- I think he doesn't understand that they are suspended. When he taps on a suspended app it comes to life and updates.

4:00 He says a "PowerPoint preso is running live" in the background-- What does he think the preso is doing in the background? Creating slides dynamically?

5:00-5:05 Some flicks with noticeable delays.

On the iPad, the flick is instantaneous. On the iPad you can drag your finger, quickly, back and forth and the content moves along with your finger - not a fraction of a second later, then catch up to your finger.

On the iPad it's as if you are actually moving the content. In the movie, with the PlayBook, it appeared he was pointing to where the content is to move and which direction -- the move starts at the end of the gesture instead of at the beginning!

Subtle, but that's what makes it magical!

5:53- 6:11 load and start YT video -- 18 seconds

It's anecdotal but I was able to bring the same video up over WiFi in 9-15 seconds -- and play it in YouTube HD at full screen. That's with a single-core A8 processor, 256 MB of RAM and an "improper OS" -- as opposed to the PlayBook's dual-core A9, 1GB RAM and a"proper OS" at 1/2 (of a smaller) screen.

The apps are running live, not suspended. What you see is a "live view" of what the app is doing at that very second, not a screen capture.

There were 6 apps running (not including the HD video player) --- photo app, web browser, SAP cockpit, SAP, salesforce chatter app, powerpoint app.

"Subtle" on a pre-release alpha software --- that's pretty good. And it's not native apps yet.

It is a wifi connection in a public setting --- remember even Steve Jobs tell people to stop using the wifi when he demo'ed.