Review roundup: Samsung's Galaxy Tab, the iPad's first "real" competitor

Comments

• Reply 21 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjw View Post

Here we go again, every topic gets turned into a bloody debate about flash. If flash isn't ready for mobile then please explain why the latest android phones can load a full web page complete with flash faster than the iPhone 4 can without loading the flash.

This is a problem with the galaxy tab.

The very fact that the skyfire browser has grossed over a million dollars in its first week is proof that people want to use flash on their mobile devices.

That's a problem with Flash implementation too. If a colossal manufacturer like Samsung can't get Flash right, who can? Something is amiss in Flash-Android-land.
  • Reply 22 of 187
    Quote:

To be honest a netbook with good build quality (which is what is rumoured for the first chrome OS google branded netbook available later this month) appeals to me a lot more than an ipad. This is because I am a content producer more than a consumer. Also I find it frustrating and too slow to browse the web on an iPad because of lack of a keyboard. Sure the iPad looks great but for me the novelty wears off too quickly and all it performs really well at is mobile video.

The netbook market is still growing too and it will continue to. Not everyone, especially those not in the western world, can buy an iPad instead of a netbook.

The MacBook Air 11" is really impressive, even with just the 1.4ghz processor. Friends and I tested one out with Parallels Windows 7, playing back movies on OS X (at the same time), and the Flash performance is surprisingly acceptable. Definitely the one to get if not an iPad.
  • Reply 23 of 187
    So what are we going to call this new mini tablet category........NetPads, NetTablets, NetSlates?

Well best of luck with it, hope it doesn't go the way of the NetBook!
  • Reply 24 of 187
    Why Buy a Tab when you can buy "the real thing". This question dates to 1963, well actually 1969. Although Coca-Cola introduced Tab in 1963, we were not told that Coke was the real thing until 1969.

Sings jingle: iPad, it's the real thing.

I tried Tab in 1964 and it would gag a vulture!
  • Reply 25 of 187
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    So, 3 years after announcing that Adobe were working on a mobile version of flash for the iPhone and future devices, they are still unable to get it working properly on an mobile device.

Maybe in the next 10 years when mobile CPU technology reaches the power of todays desktops, maybe, just maybe, they will have it working?!?
  • Reply 26 of 187
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Model A1181 View Post

Why Buy a Tab when you can buy "the real thing". This question dates to 1963, well actually 1969. Although Coca-Cola introduced Tab in 1963, we were not told that Coke was the real thing until 1969.

Hey! - I remember Tab - sigh \
  • Reply 27 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

So, 3 years after announcing that Adobe were working on a mobile version of flash for the iPhone and future devices, they are still unable to get it working properly on an mobile device.

Maybe in the next 10 years when mobile CPU technology reaches the power of todays desktops, maybe, just maybe, they will have it working?!?

• Reply 28 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Model A1181 View Post

Wow. They decided Coke was the real thing even before I was born. That no doubt set me on the straight and narrow growing up.
  • Reply 29 of 187
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Hey! - I remember Tab - sigh \

tab

http://don-has-that.amazonwebstore.c...source=froogle
  • Reply 30 of 187
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Had a play with this thing last weekend and I wasn't that impressed. It's thicker and heavier than you think and I found it slow and unresponsive compared to the iPad. It's better than the other 7" tablets I've seen but the iPad is so much better. At the price points here in the UK I can't see it selling too well. If this is the best of the competition then Apple is going to have a stellar Christmas.
  • Reply 31 of 187
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gxcad View Post

Can anyone confirm that the Samsung Galaxy Tab now has no "Samsung" logo on the front!? This makes a huge difference for me in the aesthetics of the device! This may seem small, but its a big deal to me!

If Samsung decided to remove their logo from the front, they get a great BIG thumbs up from me!

Perhaps they don't want their brand name to be tarnished by this 'thing'.
  • Reply 32 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Yes and you'd think they would have gone all out to make a version for Android that was awesome by now just to prove SJ wrong wouldn't you?
  • Reply 33 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by csimmons View Post

I was recently in my local electronics store and was able to compare the Galaxy Tab and the iPad side by side (the Tab has been out in Europe for a few weeks now). Seriously, there is NO comparison; the iPad runs rings around the Tab. The Tab's 7-inch screen and its ability to play Flash are its two biggest weak spots.

Every single person I observed comparing the two devices side by side - EVERY SINGLE PERSON - preferred the iPad. Given that the Tab is (here in Germany) ?200 more expensive than the iPad it it's base configuration, I believe the Tab is indeed DOA, at least here in Europe.

Being Flash enabled resulting as a 'weakness' is truly ironic.
  • Reply 34 of 187
    There is nothing worth to be proud of till SAMSAMG can make its os .
  • Reply 35 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

The MacBook Air 11" is really impressive, even with just the 1.4ghz processor. Friends and I tested one out with Parallels Windows 7, playing back movies on OS X (at the same time), and the Flash performance is surprisingly acceptable. Definitely the one to get if not an iPad.

I used one in the Apple store. I loaded up pure Flash sites on an 11 inch MacBook Mini. They all played just fine. I don't quite understand why people complain so much.

Are the new Minis better at Flash than regular Macs?
  • Reply 36 of 187
    Quote:

Here we go again, every topic gets turned into a bloody debate about flash. If flash isn't ready for mobile then please explain why the latest android phones can load a full web page complete with flash faster than the iPhone 4 can without loading the flash.

This is a problem with the galaxy tab.

The very fact that the skyfire browser has grossed over a million dollars in its first week is proof that people want to use flash on their mobile devices.

I agree. No one seems to get html5 has it's share of problems, as shown by many examples, and I think that will rear it's ugly head as it becomes more standardized. People will begin to wonder why they were so reverently praying for it.

I played with a tab, and while I think it's a matter of personal taste, and I couldn't predict how sales will go, but I can say I had no trouble with any flash, and I was running a super intense 3d flash site. No crashes, or slowdowns I was aware of. YMMWV I suppose.

I think Apple was very right to bar flash from iOS from the start, where it goes from here, is unclear, the new plugin has vastly improved, but I sense a shift away from using a plugin to view content like flash. SOme interesting developments happening these days.
  • Reply 37 of 187
    Google basically shot themselves in the foot by choosing JAVA as a development platform for their phones and tablets!

Baaad decision!
  • Reply 38 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Google basically shot themselves in the foot by choosing JAVA as a development platform for their phones and tablets!

Baaad decision!

why exactly is this a baaaad decision? Pretty massive java development community out there. And, wile it may not be popular here, it also allows adobe air.
  • Reply 39 of 187
    So all these new tabs coming out were labeled iPad killers, all of a sudden they're not competing with the iPad? I find that odd, especially since their first release has far more significant issues than the iPad.
  • Reply 40 of 187
    What does this do that iPad doesn't? Flash doesn't work properly. What's the draw.? What's the killer app? What's the killer feature?