New Windows 7 ad criticizes Apple's lack of Blu-ray support on Mac

11516171820

Comments

  • Reply 381 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TNSF View Post


    eeepcs offer an inferior experience. They do not do anything well. They can hardly even run their OS let alone offer a pleasurable viewing experience.



    Stop focusing on bizarre and useless technical specifications and realize that an iPad or MacBook owner is look for more than just paper dreams. We enjoy a superior experience, which Apple delivers.



    eeepcs are ghetto and I'm offended that you think I might want one.





    Same with all netbooks. They don't do anything better.



    The iPad is better than a cellphone and better than a laptop, but a netbook is not better at anything.
  • Reply 382 of 410
    nhtnht Posts: 4,494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    It's my info; he's fighting against it, so you're not going to get any help from him.



    It's not "your" info unless you're caveman, the original author. I'm not fighting against it, I'm just saying this is a huge assed hack and not the equivalent of putting in disc and hitting play as you imply. It isn't.



    Quote:

    Really what you need to do is just rip the disks and make them MP4 files to throw in iTunes. It's what I do, and it's far better quality than the crap available for purchase on iTunes.



    Ripping the disc is about the only sane option on the mac at the moment. Of course it takes a long time to do. For you this may be simple. For others it's a royal pain in the ass.
  • Reply 383 of 410
    nhtnht Posts: 4,494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gatortpk View Post


    Thanks nht for the info on how to play Blu-ray directly, I've seen seamless branching Blu-ray Discs (do you mean many separate .m2ts files for a single title?). I've only seen MakeMKV v1.6.2, that's what I've been using and it puts together these separate files into one title, sometimes two big titles, one regular and one with the extra video pane of added info into the movie itself. So, would this method work with MakeMKV v1.6.2 directly for multiple .m2ts files?



    Actually, I'd use Mac BluRayRipper Pro except that it seems to have key issues from time to time. I don't know if it will handle the seamless branching discs that MakeMKV had issues with.



    Right now I use a standalone Blu-Ray player and tend to buy Blu-Ray discs with digital copy and/or DVD included and rip the dvd/load the dc since 90% of the time it ends up being played back on an iPhone/iPod/iPad anyway. This is a lot faster than ripping the Blu-Ray then running it through Handbrake.



    I used to do all that stuff with HTPCs but nowadays I just want a simple solution that my wife can make work. Maybe if I buy a mini with HDMI out I might try plex again.
  • Reply 384 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bill-G View Post


    Same with all netbooks. They don't do anything better.



    The iPad is better than a cellphone and better than a laptop, but a netbook is not better at anything.



    you provide no points to prove your statement, sorry but whatever you just said is worthless, you didnt negate any of the points i made earlier.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bill-G View Post


    Nobody cares about specs. The iPad is the best way to watch videos.



    nobody cares about specs? yeah maybe the people that are ignorant to the entire computing industry wouldnt care.



    websites are garbage on the ipad, they load slower than almost all netbooks especially ones with an N270CPU and higher, they have no flash making a ton of websites unusable



    hell i cant even load mazda.ca your saying not being able to load half the websites is the best expirience? let me guess "just avoid going to those websites" lol



    the ipad can only hold 64GB maximum, thats 1 bluray quality movie, totally useless





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TNSF View Post


    Because they're cheap. Those people have since realized they made a bad decision. The netbook market is drying up. A year from now there will be no such thing as a netbook.



    Eeepcs are ghetto. Nobody wants one. If given a choice they would pick a real computer or a tablet every time.



    IPad for the win, again.



    your going to say that the 80,000 people on http://forum.eeeuser.com/ have all told you personally they hate their laptop, WTF is that website even open still? you make the stupidest points next to bill-g.



    ill believe it when i see some hard evidence.



    propriatary 30pin to VGA = Ghetto

    propriatary 30pin to SD Reader = Ghetto

    propriatary 30pin to USB = Ghetto

    NO HDMI= Ghetto

    NO Ethernet= Ghetto

    NO bluetooth obex = Ghetto

    NO Upgradable storage = Ghetto

    No Upgradable RAM = = Ghetto

    Slow CPU = Ghetto



    the ipad seems like a childs toy in functionality, seriously how many dongles do you want to carry arround? you obviously dont get any real work done
  • Reply 385 of 410
    tnsftnsf Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ASplayer View Post


    your going to say that the 80,000 people on http://forum.eeeuser.com/ have all told you personally they hate their laptop, WTF is that website even open still? you make the stupidest points next to bill-g.



    Did they personally tell you that they love their eeepc and wouldn't take an iPad if offered one? I didn't think so.



    Quote:

    the ipad seems like a childs toy in functionality, seriously how many dongles do you want to carry arround? you obviously dont get any real work done



    Real work? Tell me, what device is it that all the CIO's and CEO's are walking around with these days? Is it an eeepc? No, its an iPad, and they get plenty of real work done with it.
  • Reply 386 of 410
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CIM View Post


    Discs are dead.



    As files get bigger, even burning dual-layer DVDs for people when moving stuff around is becoming limiting. If for nothing else than removable storage they are a good idea. Although, with SD cards getting so cheap and the SD reader built into Macs now...that could be another possible avenue for Sneakernet.
  • Reply 387 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ASplayer View Post


    the ipad can only hold 64GB maximum, thats 1 bluray quality movie, totally useless



    You have absolutely no knowledge of which you speak. Stop now before you make an even bigger fool of yourself.



    A 1080p movie is 4 gigabytes. If you think it actually takes 50 gigs to make a Blu-ray movie look that good, you need to be committed.



    Quote:

    USB to VGA = Standard means of output

    USB to SD Reader = Standard means of input

    USB to USB = Obviously.

    NO HDMI= It doesn't do 1080 anyway.

    NO Ethernet= IT'S A TABLET, GENIUS.

    NO MORE INTELLIGENT POINTS TO MAKE= Nonsense

    NO Upgradable storage = IT'S A TABLET.

    No Upgradable RAM = IT'S A TABLET.

    Fast CPU = Nice



    Fixed.



    Quote:

    the ipad seems like a childs toy in functionality, seriously how many dongles do you want to carry arround? you obviously dont get any real work done



    "And I've been trollin' trollin' trollin' trollin' trollin' and trollin' trollin' trollin'..."



    Sorry, I don't keep up on the idiotic music of my generation.
  • Reply 388 of 410
    tnsftnsf Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post


    As files get bigger, even burning dual-layer DVDs for people when moving stuff around is becoming limiting. If for nothing else than removable storage they are a good idea. Although, with SD cards getting so cheap and the SD reader built into Macs now...that could be another possible avenue for Sneakernet.



    Most problems have two solutions. Data storage is a great example. Its not just about making storage bigger, its also about making the content smaller.



    As devices limited to solid state memory gain in popularity the market will react to storage limitations and produce ways to either shrink content or store it remotely. "Nature finds a way."
  • Reply 389 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TNSF View Post


    Did they personally tell you that they love their eeepc and wouldn't take an iPad if offered one? I didn't think so.



    read the comments on that site, alot of them indicated they got a new EEEPC instead of an ipad simply becuase of the usb ports and hdmi ports



    also im pretty sure if a laptop, tablet, or anything +$500 was offered for free, people would take it,



    Quote:

    Real work? Tell me, what device is it that all the CIO's and CEO's are walking around with these days? Is it an eeepc? No, its an iPad, and they get plenty of real work done with it.



    the ceo of the company im currently with carries a fujitsu multi touch 12" tablet,

    it has all the standard ports of a laptop as well as hdmi, he also has a dock so he can drive a 30" monitor and connect to a bluetooth mouse and KB. the ipad sure as hell cant do any of that, whats important in the corporate world is Exchange/outlook, sharepoint and office.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    You have absolutely no knowledge of which you speak. Stop now before you make an even bigger fool of yourself.



    A 1080p movie is 4 gigabytes. If you think it actually takes 50 gigs to make a Blu-ray movie look that good, you need to be committed.



    you seriously think a 3mbps 1080p video is the same quality as a 45mbit 1080p BD? you obviously have no knowledge of what you speak, and btw a good quality BD RIP is 13-15GB (both avatar and terminator rips are 13+ GB and there are still artifacts and blurs in dark scenes becuase of the compression)



    a 4GB rip sure as hell aint going to be better





    Quote:

    Fixed.



    USB >> VGA, SD, USB



    does the ipad have a usb port without an adapter? thats the point i was making



    tablets dont have ethernet? cant upgrade the storage? cant upgrade ram?



    do you have a clue about any other tablets out there fanboy? the t1005m, T1125n, asus t101mt, lenovo s310 and t91m can upgrade all aspects of hdd and ram and they all have an ethernet port



    doesnt do 1080p? the archos 101 has hdmi out and has the exact same cpu, apple crippled the ipad and the ATV but they can both do 720p (the samsung humming bird can do 1080p on paper)



    the ATV has HDMI but the ipad doesnt. explain that.



    you seriously think the samsung 1ghz cpu is fast? do you realize how slow it is compared to a dual core atom N550 1.5GHz or an Atom D525 1.8GHz? that peice of crap doesnt even support 64bit instructions its a cell phone cpu, the Samsung wave has the exact same cpu and it costs $300 without a contract.



    Quote:

    "And I've been trollin' trollin' trollin' trollin' trollin' and trollin' trollin' trollin'..."



    Sorry, I don't keep up on the idiotic music of my generation\\



    you offer no evidence that the ipad isnt slow, over priced, underpowered and worthless in functionality when compared with anythign in the price category



    ive provided links and hard numbers, its obvious that fanboys are incapable of this.



    maybe reading isnt your strong suite. heres a picture



  • Reply 390 of 410
    anyways, getting back to the topic



    PC's have the bluray option and can last more than long enough on batteries to complete a 3 hour movie. (acer timelines with BDs can last 4 hours playing 1080p videos)



    pc's also have every option that macs have including itunes and netflix streaming



    neither Pc's nor android are restricted in anyway on what formats it can play.



    sorry apple isnt the winner here.
  • Reply 391 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TNSF View Post


    Most problems have two solutions. Data storage is a great example. Its not just about making storage bigger, its also about making the content smaller.



    As devices limited to solid state memory gain in popularity the market will react to storage limitations and produce ways to either shrink content or store it remotely. "Nature finds a way."



    whats a stupid response, since when the hell has video's SHRUNK in size?



    VCD/SVCD (650MB/700MB) > DVD (4.3-9GB) > BD (25-50GB)



    streaming videos over a 3G connection is also ridiculous, a 3G connection will never be fast enough to handle BD quality, maybe the last revision of 4G can do it but thats not until 2015
  • Reply 392 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ASplayer View Post


    you offer no evidence that the ipad isnt slow, over priced, underpowered and worthless in functionality when compared with anythign in the price category



    So show us benchmarks of the iPad compared to the other tablets available.



    Quote:

    maybe reading isnt your strong suite. heres a picture



    Of course it's faster than phones and slower than a netbook. Compare it with some other products to which it can actually be compared.
  • Reply 393 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    So show us benchmarks of the iPad compared to the other tablets available.



    Of course it's faster than phones and slower than a netbook. Compare it with some other products to which it can actually be compared.



    the eeepc pictured costs $349 Canadian

    the cheapest possible ipad is $529 Canadian



    the eeepc pictured shouldnt even be compared, the 1215N with a dual core is closer but still cheaper in price



    Jobs said "netbooks are slow", im sorry but the ipad is even worse.
  • Reply 394 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ASplayer View Post


    the eeepc pictured costs $349 Canadian

    the cheapest possible ipad is $529 Canadian



    the eeepc pictured shouldnt even be compared, the 1215N with a dual core is closer but still cheaper in price



    Jobs said "netbooks are slow", im sorry but the ipad is even worse.



    You misunderstand. The EeePC cannot be compared to the iPad. It isn't a tablet. Choosing which of my words to read isn't any better than ignoring information. Either provide reliable tests between other tablet computers and the iPad or simply stop whining and don't buy an iPad.
  • Reply 395 of 410
    nhtnht Posts: 4,494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ASplayer View Post


    the ceo of the company im currently with carries a fujitsu multi touch 12" tablet,

    it has all the standard ports of a laptop as well as hdmi, he also has a dock so he can drive a 30" monitor and connect to a bluetooth mouse and KB. the ipad sure as hell cant do any of that, whats important in the corporate world is Exchange/outlook, sharepoint and office.



    You work for fujitsu? Nice. Kidding, I almost bought one of these but after 3 other window slates and convertibles I said forget it.



    Quote:

    you offer no evidence that the ipad isnt slow, over priced, underpowered and worthless in functionality when compared with anythign in the price category



    ive provided links and hard numbers, its obvious that fanboys are incapable of this.



    maybe reading isnt your strong suite. heres a picture







    [/quote]



    And yet no link for this metric. I assume it's anand. interesting that the reviewer's final conclusions differ:



    Although it doesn't replace any of your existing devices, there are some things the iPad does much better than anything you might own today. Web browsing, photo viewing, reading email, any passive usage scenarios where you're primarily clicking on things and getting feedback, the iPad excels at. You do lose Flash support so if that's an issue to you stop now. But personally, I don't find the lack of Flash a problem assuming that companies like Hulu are working on HTML5 versions of their web portals.



    http://www.anandtech.com/show/3640/a...tech-review/22



    Presumably "anything you might own today" includes the eee pc netbook it was compared against.



    Here's a cnet comparison of the ipad vs eee pc 1001P.



    http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-31747_7-20002130-243.html



    Yep the 1001 is faster at computation but boot times were faster for the ipad. in the Anand review the ipad had better battery life. For 720p H.264 video playback the iPad lasted 13.6 hours and the Eee PC 5.3 hours. 5.3 hrs doesn't bode well for the run time for blu-ray. Yah, you can get through one movie. Probably.



    I'd rather get an ultraportable laptop than a netbook. Yes the atom is slow compared to even the Core 2 Duo in the MBA.
  • Reply 396 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post


    You work for fujitsu? Nice. Kidding, I almost bought one of these but after 3 other window slates and convertibles I said forget it.




    lol yeah becuase only the ceo of fujitsu has a fujitsu tablet, infact i hate fujitsu, their HDd's are pure garbage.

    Quote:



    And yet no link for this metric. I assume it's anand. interesting that the reviewer's final conclusions differ:



    that graph was to proove the ipad cpu is slow becuase its just a regular cell phone cpu (exact same cpu used in the samsung wave that costs $300 without a contract





    Quote:

    Yep the 1001 is faster at computation but boot times were faster for the ipad. in the Anand review the ipad had better battery life. For 720p H.264 video playback the iPad lasted 13.6 hours and the Eee PC 5.3 hours. 5.3 hrs doesn't bode well for the run time for blu-ray. Yah, you can get through one movie. Probably



    yeah whatever retard made that article wanted to test a bottom end eeepc thats half the price of an ipad, the 1001 is the SLOWEST eeepc you can buy right now, it only $309 for the basemodel without bluetooth (but still has the N450 cpu)



    complaining the eeepc is slow? $300 + $200 SSD (128GB Sandforce SSD) it will boot even faster than this eeepc with a shitty intel SSD



    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS3eA7Dss_4



    compare $499 with $499



    Quote:

    I'd rather get an ultraportable laptop than a netbook. Yes the atom is slow compared to even the Core 2 Duo in the MBA.



    the atom D525 (asus 1215n) is about the same speed as the SU9400 used in the MBA 11.6



    they both get ~700- 900 passmarks, while a $999 laptop with a quad core i7 gets 3500 marks, you see the performance diffrence? 3500 vs <1000?



    but anyways, back on topic, bluray rips, you want to watch 1080p 12GB mkv files? sure as hell aint going to be easy on the ipad, however for both the Archos 101 and Viewsonic G pad, its drag drop and play.
  • Reply 397 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    You misunderstand. The EeePC cannot be compared to the iPad. It isn't a tablet. Choosing which of my words to read isn't any better than ignoring information. Either provide reliable tests between other tablet computers and the iPad or simply stop whining and don't buy an iPad.



    sure then



    viewsonic G pad



    $379 from sears (out of all places lol)



    dual core 1GHz tegra2 (slaughters the ipad's cpu)

    512MB ram (double the ipad)

    32GB expandable via MicroSD (40GB+ total for $479)

    front facing camera (ipad has none)

    USB Slave (ipad needs a propriatary cable)

    USB Host (ipad needs a dongle)

    HDMI out (ipad cant do hdmi)

    1080p (ipad cant even play mkv without hacks and voiding your warranty)
  • Reply 398 of 410
    tnsftnsf Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ASplayer View Post


    whats a stupid response, since when the hell has video's SHRUNK in size?



    VCD/SVCD (650MB/700MB) > DVD (4.3-9GB) > BD (25-50GB)



    streaming videos over a 3G connection is also ridiculous, a 3G connection will never be fast enough to handle BD quality, maybe the last revision of 4G can do it but thats not until 2015



    First, you're wrong. Video compression has improved greatly over time and the space needed for a video of equal size and quality has decreased over time.



    Second, you missed my point. Until now the quality of video content and the bloat that goes along with it has been permitted to increase because storage mediums were also able to increase at the same rate. We are now reaching a transition point there the need to increase quality and bloat is gone and the focus will shift to improving efficiency and saving space and resources. Nature finds a way. Whether it be streaming, compression, or other methods the content will change and adapt to the storage options available on mobile or connected devices.
  • Reply 399 of 410
    nhtnht Posts: 4,494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ASplayer View Post


    that graph was to proove the ipad cpu is slow becuase its just a regular cell phone cpu (exact same cpu used in the samsung wave that costs $300 without a contract



    Proves very little actually given it also depends on workload/efficiency as folks have point out again and again.



    Quote:

    yeah whatever retard made that article wanted to test a bottom end eeepc thats half the price of an ipad, the 1001 is the SLOWEST eeepc you can buy right now, it only $309 for the basemodel without bluetooth (but still has the N450 cpu)



    It's the one in your chart.



    Quote:

    the atom D525 (asus 1215n) is about the same speed as the SU9400 used in the MBA 11.6



    they both get ~700- 900 passmarks, while a $999 laptop with a quad core i7 gets 3500 marks, you see the performance diffrence? 3500 vs <1000?



    The SU9400 clocks in below the Core i5 520UM and the Core i3 380UM. The D525 is slower than the Inteo Core Solo T1300 and the Intel Mobile Pentium 4 532.



    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-...=1&wprime_32=1
  • Reply 400 of 410
    I actually like Blu-Ray. so... i am conflicted about buying a new Macbook Pro to replace my current one.



    i dont know why so many people are anti the tech when it doesn't hurt anyone by giving the option on pro models and more.



    this is a good tech, millions of people like it. like USB 3. apple needs to adopt it.



    and for those people griping about battery life on BD playback. bah! use a power cord. and there are plenty of models with better batter life also
Sign In or Register to comment.