Apple promises an unforgettable iTunes announcement coming Tuesday

Comments

• Reply 121 of 261
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mobycat View Post

I disagree. A Beatles announcement would be huge. Granted, anyone who wants them on their hard drive already has them - having the access on iTunes wouldn't mean much as far as obtaining them. But the mere fact that the Beatles finally are available online... that's huge.

While the Beatles occupy an undeniably important place in the history of music, not to mention a place in my heart, they also account for a decreasing percentage of people who care. The majority of people under age 35 (or so) would probably consider that a completely forgettable day. (Apologies to folks my age and older that I had to point that out.) But since we know that Steve DOES, in fact, care, I guess it's still a possibility.

And the relationship to Paul McCartney's song "Another Day" is somewhat compelling.

Thompson
  • Reply 122 of 261
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobrik View Post

This international clock choice could maybe hints for international expansion of the music and/or movie store? The announcement is made at 07.00 a.m. Cupertino time, quite unusual (usually it is 09 or 10 am). How much I wish the music and movie store could finally come here to the Czech Republic!

Why not just open an account on the US store ? It's pretty straightforward to do wherever you live, and Apple obviously aren't too concerned about people doing it.
  • Reply 123 of 261
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

The fact that these times appear in the announcement suggest that it is relevant to all of these markets.

Our company often has global conferences in these exact locations and we always start them at 6:30 am Los Angeles time. Most unfortunate for those in Japan but it is the best time for a global announcement. If you go to timeanddate.com and use their meeting planner you will be able to see the available time slots are quite slim.
  • Reply 124 of 261
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Perhaps you speak English 'different' from me?

Some good comments here, I know it was just a slogan , I was kidding around. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Think_Different

Most people don't realize how that phrase was intended. If, as most people assume, the word "different" was intended as an adverb, so that they were telling us HOW to think, then the correct word to use would be "differently".

But Apple wasn't telling us HOW to think, they were telling us WHAT to think, as in the phrase: "Think Big.", "Think Red.", etc. In that case, "Think Different" is fine... especially if they had put quotations around the word "Different".

Thompson
  • Reply 125 of 261
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cla98 View Post

Don't think we get a choice on it...

http://www.t3.com/news/bbc-iplayer-t...rollout?=50747

Oh i don't mind them paying for it.
  • Reply 126 of 261
    I hope it's something like the books option from ilife.

I could take my favorite cd bought on i-tune and they would burn-it for me and deliver in a nice plastic case with a nice paper booklet.

• Reply 127 of 261
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iTuomas View Post

Haha, that's hilarious

I hope they'll make it possible to completely disable and hide that useless thing called Ping...

And replace it with Bing.

Ping + bing = BING!!!!!! something along those lines.
  • Reply 128 of 261
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Bealtes. Yawn.

The Bealtes would be a yawn.

The Beatles on the other hand....
  • Reply 129 of 261
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

I think the web-based iTunes model is much too big a deal not to have a press conference or keynote involved. Perhaps Gruber's guesses are the most accurate. He thinks it could be as simple as 4.2 announcement. He admits he is totally speculating. His point is similar to mine ?What could Apple announce without a media event to explain and demo it??.

Well i, like i'm sure many others do, rely on Apple Video tutorials. When i watch keynotes i never really pay attention to the detail. I just want to know what's new.
  • Reply 130 of 261
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

If it's something familiar to most users, like iTunes, then Apple may feel a press conference would be a waste of time. Besides it gives people time to leak information. Have you noticed how flat Apple's keynotes have been, in terms of audience response lately?

As it's iTunes related i tend to agree with Solipsism and think it'll be a web-based iTunes model.

It's dominating the homepage of most of the Apple sites worldwide so it must be fairly big, as that's a lot of advertising space to give up for something trivial.

I think the Beetles release will be the thing now. It's not a huge deal requiring a press conference or media event. Some people are linking to the help album where the beatles hands appear to be pointing out clock times. Not the same times as these, but times none-the-less. There are 4 clocks. New York and London are among them. If intrade had this up, I would go with beetles release. Speculation subject to change without notice
  • Reply 131 of 261
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    To me this means tomorrow I won't be able to access iTunes.
  • Reply 132 of 261
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Just Another Day. Beatles. Makes sense that they'd use a Paul song for the tag line, since he's around to negotiate with. Although the announcement could include improved codecs/streaming/something else tied to the introduction of the Beatles catalog-- possibly something Yoko/assorted rights holders were wanting before they allowed it?

I think maybe people are underestimating the continued appeal of the Beatles. I work in a high school and the kids know and love the entire catalog.
  • Reply 133 of 261
    I wonder what's up with the punctuation: "Tomorrow is just another day. That you'll never forget."

A lot of blogs are interpreting this as "Tomorrow is just another day that you'll never forget." But that's not exactly how it's written.
  • Reply 134 of 261
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Yoko died?

Ouch. Harsh much?
  • Reply 135 of 261
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    I still don't see how iTunes finally getting the Beatles library would be an event "that you'll never forget". I would think it a bit presumptuous to classify that event as unforgettable. Don't get me wrong, I like the Beatles as much as the next person, but not so much that I'd never forget the day their music became available on the iTunes store.
  • Reply 136 of 261
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Most people don't realize how that phrase was intended. If, as most people assume, the word "different" was intended as an adverb, so that they were telling us HOW to think, then the correct word to use would be "differently".

But Apple wasn't telling us HOW to think, they were telling us WHAT to think, as in the phrase: "Think Big.", "Think Red.", etc. In that case, "Think Different" is fine... especially if they had put quotations around the word "Different".

Thompson

My point exactly as the link showed. Thanks for repeating it though.
  • Reply 137 of 261
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Yes, it is a pipe dream, as MP3 has not ruined the hearing of a generation. And I find it amusing that you placed Apple Lossless with MP3. Apple Lossless is lossless, just like FLAC or WAV. Apple Lossless sounds exactly the same as FLAC or WAV.

Lossless is lossy relative to analog.
  • Reply 138 of 261
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Ouch. Harsh much?

Sorry, .

But if it is the Beatles I assume she is missing?
  • Reply 139 of 261
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Lossless is lossy relative to analog.

I gave up on any of these discussion after seeing the graphs of my actual hearing frequency range. It's pretty depressing passed 40 for most humans. Now I say, I like the 'look' of my very high end speakers and expensive audio gear
  • Reply 140 of 261
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I still don't see how iTunes finally getting the Beatles library would be an event "that you'll never forget". I would think it a bit presumptuous to classify that event as unforgettable. Don't get me wrong, I like the Beatles as much as the next person, but not so much that I'd never forget the day their music became available on the iTunes store.

This is Apple. They are not adverse to hyperbole. Plus, if they wish, they can make damn well sure that you never do forget it, by running an aggressive ad campaign.