RIM demonstrates PlayBook with faster Web browsing than Apple's iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 273
    the fact of the matter isthat the RIM product is kicking my iPad's ass. It looks like a legit test to me. The million dollar question is battery. Frankly my ipad has never come close to running out of battery. Also, what is flash doing to the performance of that unreleased product. There are many unanswered questions here, but the demo is impressive so far.
  • Reply 22 of 273
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

It is a shame 4.2 wasn't the big announcement today.

This video would have been rendered moot.

*bump*

and the PlayBook won't even be available for months to come.
  • Reply 23 of 273
    I always thought that a playbook is a bad thing. In training camp, if the coach asks to see you and bring your playbook, you're off the team.
  • Reply 24 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

the fact of the matter isthat the RIM product is kicking my iPad's ass. It looks like a legit test to me.

you're right. you should go buy one right now.
  • Reply 25 of 273
    Took him a little longer to type on that small keyboard though!
  • Reply 26 of 273
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

That's why I said:

Same applies to the js demos. Obviously these are all handpicked sites. Without independent testing, it's pretty meaningless.

Sorry. I was speaking in the global sense.
  • Reply 27 of 273
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

So that's it, eh? THAT is what makes one tablet superior to its competitor? Web browsing speed? Are we supposed to forget comparative screen size (45%?), the device's OS, its track record for stability and reliability, its behind-the-scenes infrastructure (iTunes), etc., etc., etc.?

For my money, I'll take Apple and its proven quality/reliability/customer service record over RIM any day of the week.

Oh, and did I neglect to mention . . . THE PLAYBOOK IS VAPORWARE! Got it? V-A-P-O-R-W-A-R-E! It doesn't exist, except in the minds and friendly hands of the RIM engineers and obsequious sales staff! Just wait until grandma and grandchild get ahold of this thing! Just wait. THEN we'll see how fast it runs, IF it runs, WHEN it runs, HOW it runs, and the like.

Damn, but I get tired of Courier Tabs, Slates, Pink Projects, Zune HDs, and more too numerous to mention. Let REAL, SHIPPING, INNOVATIVE PRODUCTS speak for themselves . . . not VAPORWARE!

so iOS 4.2 is vaporware? it is no more real than the Playbook, nor is it shipping, and its innovation is unknown, as it is not publicly available (only in the friendly hands of Apple engineers and beta testers). So by your definition it is vaporware, or does Apple get a special pass?
  • Reply 28 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I always thought that a playbook is a bad thing. In training camp, if the coach asks to see you and bring your playbook, you're off the team.

But the coaching staff also has a playbook.
  • Reply 29 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macadam212 View Post

Took him a little longer to type on that small keyboard though!

i thought so too. He doesn't look particularly versed at using tablet computers. after using the ipad for a couple weeks, i'm able to type very close to normal. he doesn't even attempt that; i'm curious to see how well one could type on a 7in screen...it's barely manageable for me for the ipad in portrait mode, so i can't imagine a 7in product in landscape would have major improvements
  • Reply 30 of 273
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djmikeo View Post

I'm a big Apple fan, but I am actually glad that RIM "appears" to have a nice product getting ready to be released and that they have some apparently quick browser features compared to the current iPad. I always like competition. If Android was not around, we still would probably be missing multi-tasking and copy and paste. Healthy competition will insure that Apple will continue to improve their products to be the best in class. This is how a competitive market should work. Be thankful of competition. The tablet market will be huge and will probably be larger than desktop/laptops in a matter of just a few years, and there will be plenty of room for several Os versions. The best ones will survive and we, the buyers will be the judges with our wallets.

OMG! Can we please have a ban on:

"good thing other people are making products so that Apple has competition so it will make better products"...
  • Reply 31 of 273
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

"good thing other people are making products so that Apple has competition so it will make better products"...

It really is faint praise and a poor attempt at appearing 'impartial'.
  • Reply 32 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

so iOS 4.2 is vaporware? it is no more real than the Playbook, nor is it shipping, and its innovation is unknown, as it is not publicly available (only in the friendly hands of Apple engineers and beta testers). So by your definition it is vaporware, or does Apple get a special pass?

The fact that a gold master is in the hands of developers would be a significant difference.

Beyond that, the marketing philosophy behind the playbook borrows from the concepts that created vaporware. Announce a product long before anybody can get a hands on demo (their introduction video didn't even show the real product, it showed renderings) in an attempt to keep people from buying from the competitor.
  • Reply 33 of 273
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:

omg! Can we please have a ban on:

"good thing other people are making products so that apple has competition so it will make better products"...

• Reply 34 of 273
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halfyearsun View Post

The fact that a gold master is in the hands of developers would be a significant difference.

it ain't "gold" yet because they kept on making changes to it.
  • Reply 35 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

But the coaching staff also has a playbook.

And for my cowboys and texans, it isn't working.
  • Reply 36 of 273
    Quote:

agreed. the rallying cry of the mediocre, the fence sitters, and those too afraid to have an opinion.

really not a problem though. there's no money in that perspective, since they'll be too afraid to buy stock in any tech company.
  • Reply 37 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

it ain't "gold" yet because they kept on making changes to it.

i would question whether that really disqualifies it as a gold master. but regardless, it's irrelevant, because the basic argument is unchanged by the nomenclature.
  • Reply 38 of 273
    I am going to laugh so amazingly hard when, on the day this thing ships, Apple announces iPad 2.

And now that The Beatles are available, that leaves Tool as the biggest iTunes omission.
  • Reply 39 of 273
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 40 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

And for my cowboys and texans, it isn't working.

I know, it is sad. I lived in FW for many years.