RIM demonstrates PlayBook with faster Web browsing than Apple's iPad

1679111214

Comments

  • Reply 161 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post


    so iOS 4.2 is vaporware? it is no more real than the Playbook, nor is it shipping, and its innovation is unknown, as it is not publicly available (only in the friendly hands of Apple engineers and beta testers). So by your definition it is vaporware, or does Apple get a special pass?



    iOS 4.2 has been in the hands of developers since September 15 -- more than 2 months. I have been using it since that time on 2 iPads and 3 iPhones and it is very reliable with only minor problems.



    http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8



    AFAICT, the PlayBook is only in the hands of RIMM and Adobe people and no one outside those companies has touched one.



    I have responded to similar posts of yours in other threads. Yet you continue to pretend that iOS 4.2 is vaporware.



    When someone makes statements that are so easily disproved -- they are blind, naive, stupid or have an agenda. Your posts indicate that you are not blind or stupid...



    .
  • Reply 162 of 273
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post


    Have you actually look at the iphone teardowns (and compare it with other smartphones)?



    Apple buys components on the cheap --- from companies like infineon with single digit market shares. That's why you see the iphone teardowns so mess up and why the other smartphone teardowns are so clean.



    You can’t be serious. Because Apple buys components from other vendors it means there designed are “mess[sic] up” and other vendors are “clean”? Have you actually compared teardowns before? Apple has more vendor specific components than any other vendor I’ve seen within a market segment.
  • Reply 163 of 273
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    You can?t be serious. Because Apple buys components from other vendors it means there designed are ?mess[sic] up? and other vendors are ?clean?? Have you actually compared teardowns before? Apple has more vendor specific components than any other vendor I?ve seen within a market segment.



    No, I am saying that if you look at an iphone teardown --- there are daughter boards and daughter boards and daughter boards.



    Most of the Android phone teardowns --- highly integrated Qualcomm chipset solutions. It's pricier, but you see 4-5 chips on the motherboard and that's it.
  • Reply 164 of 273
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,662member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post


    But we are talking about embedded systems. QNX has the the OS and the expertise to optimize it. Apple is trying to shoehorn a desktop OS into a phone.



    Trying?



    Quote:

    What QNX is doing --- is what they have been doing for the last 30 years. They make sure the UI doesn't interfere with the software that runs the nuclear reactor.



    And this is an advantage for a phone or tablet because?



    Apple has had no problem adapting OSX, despite the criticisms of OSX, for mobile devices. Indeed, there are no other companies matching them for size, weight and battery life. Nevermind matching them on price. That may change with RIMs offering - we don't know as it's not shipping yet with final pricing, and there are no real world reviews of battery life.



    But don't let those pesky facts get in front of a good straw man :



    Having said that, I think the tethering with an existing users Blackberry for data is brilliant and something really lacking with the iPhone/iPad on AT&T.
  • Reply 165 of 273
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,662member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TNSF View Post


    Unfortunately for RIM, they've taken so long to bring out the Playbook that competing against the iPad isn't what matters. The Playbook will need to compete against iPad 2. I wonder if they are up to that challenge.



    Bingo. It's MS's challenge with Windows Phone 7...
  • Reply 166 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post


    An Emperor who cares for nothing but his wardrobe hires two fanboys who promise him the finest suit of clothes from a fabric invisible to anyone who is unfit for his position or "just hopelessly stupid". The Emperor cannot see the cloth himself, but pretends that he can for fear of appearing unfit for his position or stupid; his fanboys do the same. When the fanboys report that the suit is finished, they dress him in mime and the Emperor then marches in procession before his subjects. A child in the crowd calls out that the Emperor is wearing nothing at all and the cry is taken up by others. The Emperor cringes, suspecting the assertion is true, but holds himself up proudly and continues the procession.



    Remind you of anyone?



    Yes... Rumplebumpkin.



    .
  • Reply 167 of 273
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,662member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Note, I do hope I?m completely wrong and that we get some super high resolution display for the next iPad that puts this one to shame.



    I'm hoping Apple is planning to use some of that cash horde to address some of these supply issues.
  • Reply 168 of 273
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post


    No, I am saying that if you look at an iphone teardown --- there are daughter boards and daughter boards and daughter boards.



    Most of the Android phone teardowns --- highly integrated Qualcomm chipset solutions. It's pricier, but you see 4-5 chips on the motherboard and that's it.



    I don’t see these daughter boards you speak of. The only one I recall was the original iPhone having the cellular chips on a board distinctly separate from the main board.



    This is the iPhone 4 and I still have yet to see a design as sophisticated as this from any CE. But I expect that from Apple because they do sell an excessive number of these devices built off of one design while still being able to make a good profit on each so it behooves them to use that advantage to push those boundries further. By comparison the AppleTV design is much simpler and easier to engineer and produce.
  • Reply 169 of 273
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post


    Apple has had no problem adapting OSX, despite the criticisms of OSX, for mobile devices. Indeed, there are no other companies matching them for size, weight and battery life.



    But look at the competition though, webos and android are based on a server OS.



    This is going to be the first time you see a real RTOS as a competition to the iphone.
  • Reply 170 of 273
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,662member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post


    Have you actually look at the iphone teardowns (and compare it with other smartphones)?



    Apple buys components on the cheap --- from companies like infineon with single digit market shares. That's why you see the iphone teardowns so mess up and why the other smartphone teardowns are so clean.



    Huh? Motherboards for Apple devices are a fraction of the size of their competitors. That, along with design decisions like integrated batteries results in their amazing form factors. Not sure which tear downs you are looking at, or that it's clear you understand what you are seeing. And if you are trying to imply Apple quality is substandard because of their part suppliers, you might want to check out the reliability stats released recently bt SquareTrade where multiple iPhone models come out on top, with the iPhone4 leading the list, for reliability amongst devices they provide warranty support for.



    Speaking of batteries, I'm amused at the lack of comments from the non-removable battery crowd. Maybe they are finally piping down along with the matte display crowd (one can hope).
  • Reply 171 of 273
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,662member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post


    No, I am saying that if you look at an iphone teardown --- there are daughter boards and daughter boards and daughter boards.



    Daughterboards is your argument?



    A design decision based on space considerations?



    Seriously?



    Quote:

    Most of the Android phone teardowns --- highly integrated Qualcomm chipset solutions. It's pricier, but you see 4-5 chips on the motherboard and that's it.



    And yet they are still physically larger with worse battery life and reliability (according to third parties like SquareTrade)



    That's not theoretical, those are real world results. Talk is cheap and Apple is delivering.
  • Reply 172 of 273
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,662member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post


    But look at the competition though, webos and android are based on a server OS.



    Are you referring to Java? Java is not a server OS, it's a runtime environment!



    Quote:

    This is going to be the first time you see a real RTOS as a competition to the iphone.



    Ok, but do I care? Why do I need an RTOS? iOS has already demonstrated it's perfectly functional. Heck, so have WebOS an Android for that matter.



    While it may not hurt, an RTOS in and of itself is hardly compelling. It's what RIM does with it that will ultimately matter.
  • Reply 173 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post


    Again, for all of the "mental midgets" that still don't "get it" .... Rim represents one phone company .... Apple represents one phone company .... Android represents a multitude of phone companies.




    Huh?



    I'm confused... doesn't RIM, as a company, have multiple devices running on different networks? Same as Android?



    Apple, yes, technically has one type of phone running on one network (in the USA). RIM and Android have multiple devices running on multiple networks. As you know in Canada, Apple is on the Big 3 telcos' networks.



    And yes before you reply, it's remarkable that Apple is gaining market share on RIM which should have an advantage due to having multiple devices and being entrenched in the enterprise market.
  • Reply 174 of 273
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ronster View Post


    Huh?



    I'm confused... doesn't RIM, as a company, have multiple devices running on different networks? Same as Android?



    Apple, yes, technically has one type of phone running on one network (in the USA). RIM and Android have multiple devices running on multiple networks. As you know in Canada, Apple is on the Big 3 telcos' networks.



    And yes before you reply, it's remarkable that Apple is gaining market share on RIM which should have an advantage due to having multiple devices and being entrenched in the enterprise market.



    He isn?t saying they are a company (ie: vendor) with one phone, he?s saying they are a single company, thus one phone company supporting their mobile OS, just like Apple. Android-based handsets make up dozens and dozens of phone companys.
  • Reply 175 of 273
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post




    AFAICT, the PlayBook is only in the hands of RIMM and Adobe people and no one outside those companies has touched one.



    .



    Hi Dick. First, I was responding to the OP who claimed that the Playbook was vaporware because it had not shipped. I was simply irritated with a poster who apparently had one standard of vaporware for RIM, and another for Apple.



    Second, endgadget has a video posted of them playing with the Playbook, so others have "touched it" (puns intended).
  • Reply 176 of 273
    .



    One of the problems of this thread is that we are comparing a known product, the iPad, with an unknown product, the PlayBook.



    Maybe we can level the playing field a bit.



    1) Assume the PlayBook is released, as planned, in 1Q 2011



    2) Assume the iPad 2 is at a similar stage of development as the PlayBook



    3) Assume the iPad 2 is released about the same time as the PlayBook, in 1Q 2011





    By June 1, 2011, which Tablet will have the larger sales rate:



    -- the PlayBook



    -- the iPad 2



    -- the Galaxy Tab



    -- the HP Slate



    -- some other tablet under the radar





    As an investor, I am risking my $ on the iPad 2!



    .
  • Reply 177 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post


    Given that RIM sold nearly 12 million handsets last quarter (I believe a record for them), I do not think they are in any danger of folding up.



    To forstall the inevitable "but they lost market share" argument, Apple also lost market share to Android, and I doubt you are going to claim Apple is in any danger of packing up their bags.



    Well the difference is that Apple sells their phones for good margins and all their phones are high end. RIMM gives away a lot of low end and some high end phones for free to maintain its market share.



    Even with the "Give away phones" Apple still beat them last quarter.



    They may not fold in the next few quarters but make no mistake, if this tablet does not do well next year, they will be in trouble just like Palm. They don't have many other products to fall back on. The phone and tablet market competition is about to get very fierce with companies like Microsoft and HP coming into the market. Not to mention the Chinese "copy cats" chewing up the global low end market.



    Time will tell.
  • Reply 178 of 273
    Playbook has much faster Hardware, yet in the first videos scrolling appears to be horribly laggy. Also, they still have the "swipe gesture left - wait for computer to interpret gesture - move content to the left" problem.
  • Reply 179 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post


    Hi Dick. First, I was responding to the OP who claimed that the Playbook was vaporware because it had not shipped. I was simply irritated with a poster who apparently had one standard of vaporware for RIM, and another for Apple.



    Second, endgadget has a video posted of them playing with the Playbook, so others have "touched it" (puns intended).



    Yes...



    The Moving Finger writes, and having writ,

    Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit

    Shall lure it back to cancel half a line,

    Nor all your tears wash out a Word of it.



    .
  • Reply 180 of 273
    I would hope for RIM's sake that a latest tablet using a brand-new bleeding edge dual-core ARM(?) CPU + whatever GPU is inside using latest webkit engine running at unknown core clock-speed (irrispective of their battery life which doesn't matter right now due to no real specs / prices / release date) is MUCH faster than a 7 month old iPad using a 1Ghz ARM A8



    If their brand new product wasn't faster i'd find it hilarious ... what i did see in the video was the Adidas flash site was STILL sluggish on this new high-power tablet.... i just don't want flash ... just shows still how bad flash is.



    If the Playbook isn't out until say February / March '11 then its highly likely that Apple will have announced or be ready to release iPad2 which could render this test moot



    Nice of RIM to show it and it does show potential though
Sign In or Register to comment.