Apple, RIM rivalry heating up over apps, business

Comments

• Reply 41 of 83
    if RIM wants to survive, they need to tighten their strangle hold on enterprise... they've already lost in the consumer space. my company issues Blackberries to management, but all of the ones i am close to say if they had the choice, they would use an iPhone.

as for 7" tablets, Jobs was so right. At 7" you may as well be using a smartphone or iPod touch... it's netbooks all over again. They started out with 7" screens, but eventually all migrated to 11".

7" is good for e-readers, but not tablets.
  • Reply 42 of 83
    I think that as long as Apple refuse to entertain the thought of a phone with no physical keyboard (which appears to be forever) RIM will have lots of users. Their mail is miles ahead of Apple and every other. When you get 100+ mails a day a nice "mail opening" animation gets tired really quickly, you just want to see the information and reply to it.

There are loads of people I know changing handsets because of that. I did. I go out for an early XMAS drink with the same 10 lads every year, three years ago I was the only one with an iphone, two years ago it was 5/10, last year 4/10, and this year only 1/10. Five people had either a Bold 9000 (including me) or a 9700. One guy had a Nokia n900 and one a Nokia e72. The other two had HTC Desires.

Some people just don't like tapping away at unresponsive glass, not for long mails or replies. It's just far slower.
  • Reply 43 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scaramanga89 View Post

I think that as long as Apple refuse to entertain the thought of a phone with no physical keyboard (which appears to be forever) RIM will have lots of users. Their mail is miles ahead of Apple and every other. When you get 100+ mails a day a nice "mail opening" animation gets tired really quickly, you just want to see the information and reply to it.

There are loads of people I know changing handsets because of that. I did. I go out for an early XMAS drink with the same 10 lads every year, three years ago I was the only one with an iphone, two years ago it was 5/10, last year 4/10, and this year only 1/10. Five people had either a Bold 9000 (including me) or a 9700. One guy had a Nokia n900 and one a Nokia e72. The other two had HTC Desires.

Some people just don't like tapping away at unresponsive glass, not for long mails or replies. It's just far slower.

Thats nice, but I think Apple is selling more iPhones than Blackberry is selling their own smart phones.
  • Reply 44 of 83
    Quote:

I don't understand how it could possibly be slower... I find it very difficult to type on a blackberry. the keys are too small and too close together. maybe it's just my fat thumbs.

But really, i think it's just what you are used to.
  • Reply 45 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Thats nice, but I think Apple is selling more iPhones than Blackberry is selling their own smart phones.

I'm not saying that it's hurting Apples sales, just pointing out that many users prefer a real KB over the virtual one, so no matter how secure Apple make it, many will still choose a RIM product.

As for speed, I had an iPhone for two years, I was pretty used to it, but I would say I am least twice as fast with a BB. Turn off the error correction (which does my head in as I want to use words that Apple haven't gotten in the dictionary) and it's also highly inaccurate. I wouldn't say I'm alone in that statement, except on here of course. I mean in the real world.
  • Reply 46 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

I don't understand how it could possibly be slower... I find it very difficult to type on a blackberry. the keys are too small and too close together. maybe it's just my fat thumbs.

But really, i think it's just what you are used to.

How can the keys be too small and too close together when the iphone is smaller in all dimensions, hence its portrait KB is small and closer together?

If you read the article you will see I use a BB Bold 9000 for that very reason, (although the 9700 is still much bigger than the iphone qwerty) no one could accuse that KB of bring too small.
  • Reply 47 of 83
    Quote:

Turn off the error correction (which does my head in as I want to use words that Apple haven't gotten in the dictionary)

There's a reason LOL, OMG, u, 2nite, et. al. aren't in the dictionary.

Quote:

and it's also highly inaccurate.

No, but I've only been using it for three years, so I wouldn't know.

Quote:

I wouldn't say I'm alone in that statement, except on here of course. I mean in the real world.

So don't say it at all if you're going to completely ignore a valid demographic.
  • Reply 48 of 83
    [QUOTE=Tallest Skil;1754757]There's a reason LOL, OMG, u, 2nite, et. al. aren't in the dictionary.

The likelihood of someone using those terms on a BB versus an iphone are pretty slender mate, much more likely on an iphone so I don't see the point. I'm nearly 40 and an English teacher, I don't use them out of principal.

Which valid demographic? The tech press who all acknowledge the BB keyboard to be the best keyboard available on ANY mobile device or the myopic pro-Apple brigade on here?

Who's ignoring the facts?
  • Reply 49 of 83
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crimguy View Post

I'm not sure what all of you do for a living, but in my office of attorneys, all sole practitioners, 1/2 still have opted for a blackberry. There are 3 of them, 2 iphones, one android, and one flip phone.

So, I really don't think they're circling the bowl just yet. And if any of the speed claims of that video turn out to be true, there will be many people who will line up for a 7" tablet.

Also, in the business world there are a lot of people who just hate Apple.

Spoken like a true clueless attorney. In the business world there are a lot of people who just hate attorneys.
  • Reply 50 of 83
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 51 of 83
    Has anyone confirmed that the PlayBook shown in the video has anything else running on it? For example, the OS?
  • Reply 52 of 83
    [QUOTE=Scaramanga89;. I'm nearly 40 and an English teacher, I don't use them out of principal.[/QUOTE]

As a teacher of English, don't you think that correct spelling would be, in principle, quite important?
  • Reply 53 of 83
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NextTechnocrati View Post

They are floating around Sun Life Insurance as an early subscriber? Too predictable, being a Canadian company. Who else will patronize RIM if Canadians will not?

More than just a Canadian company, their Canadian HQ in Waterloo is about 5 minutes from RIM HQ.
  • Reply 54 of 83
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Spoken like a true clueless attorney. In the business world there are a lot of people who just hate attorneys.

Really, grossly unfair. Lawyers were one of the first groups to really embrace smart phones and they happen to embrace BB more than others. It is telling that Apple is making major inroads into this established BB market. And his comment about some business people hating Apple isn't off the mark. There has been historical resistance to Apple in the corporate world forever, it's a simple fact. Recognizing it doesn't make him clueless.
  • Reply 55 of 83
    sambansamban Posts: 171member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Here is a little video of PlayBook that isn?t an ad from RiM. It seems responsive and fluid in this short demo. This is a good thing. OF course, that is only one small aspect one would need to measure if they are interested in buying. Still, so far so good for RiM and I?m very glad they?ve realized the limitations of their BB OS moving forward.

Have they released the SDK yet. That will decide how much time developers get to create apps if, RIM is is really interested in that (but from comments it doesn't seem to be the case).
  • Reply 56 of 83
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samban View Post

Have they released the SDK yet. That will decide how much time developers get to create apps if, RIM is is really interested in that (but from comments it doesn't seem to be the case).

I haven?t read about a specific SDK for the PlayBook, but the UI is Adobe AIR, so wouldn?t that mean they already have a decent sized developer body built-in?
  • Reply 57 of 83
    sambansamban Posts: 171member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

It is interesting that you mentioned this. Wired had an article awhile back about the death of the web, which was ridiculed here.

However, Apple and RIM have two different visions.

With Apple's app approach, the web is dead (not the internet, but the web). The idea of the web is one of a set of interconnected sites, where you can jump from one site to another. So you go the NYT site, and then jump somewhere else.

However, with apps, this is not really the case. You open an app to go to a site for a specific set of information. Or you open the youtube app. With the app approach, things are more discrete and disconnected. So, with this approach, you need lots of apps to do "discrete" events, and you need lots of developers.

For RIM, the idea is fewer apps, and use the web and the browser to do things. Hence, you do not need as large an app store or as many developers.

We shall see what happens.

Using this approach Linux should have been the main desktop OS & not Windows.

It's all about the primary App.

Apple --> ipod app

Windows --> Office

Andriod --> Maps

RIM --> Mail/ BB messenger (The problem is it uses Windows Exchange for mail and MSFT doesn't like this)
  • Reply 58 of 83
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Something that RIM far exceeds Apple in is easily enterprise encryption. I am sure many top companies or government contractors value that. However if Apple can match that level, provided they care to, then RIM is muerto.

I wonder if Canadian laws regarding exporting encryption significantly differs from the US...I've always wondered why neither Apple nor MS has really stepped up to the plate to kill RIM's one trick pony advantage.

It's not a technical constraint...both companies are well able to build the same kind of encryption infrastructure as RIM.
  • Reply 59 of 83
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I haven?t read about a specific SDK for the PlayBook, but the UI is Adobe AIR, so wouldn?t that mean they already have a decent sized developer body built-in?

Yes. There should be a reasonable number of AIR devs already. Mmmm...good luck with that.
  • Reply 60 of 83
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samban View Post

Using this approach Linux should have been the main desktop OS & not Windows.

It's all about the primary App.

Apple --> ipod app

Windows --> Office

Andriod --> Maps

RIM --> Mail/ BB messenger (The problem is it uses Windows Exchange for mail and MSFT doesn't like this)

You missed the point, as it has nothing to do with the desktop OS.

It is about one's conception of going online - is the online experience a Web of interconnected sites accessed via the browser or is the online experience a set of discrete events accessed by different apps.