Apple, RIM rivalry heating up over apps, business

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NextTechnocrati View Post

They are floating around Sun Life Insurance as an early subscriber? Too predictable, being a Canadian company. Who else will patronize RIM if Canadians will not?

Sun Life's Financial HQ are located in Waterloo, Ontario, where RIM is located, so not surprising.
  • Reply 82 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

Again the demo was running a HD video in the background and he was using his thumb to do the swipe --- not the best digit to do the job.

1) Part of the demo was run with n HD video supposedly running in the background.

2) A multitasking OS should suspend a bg task, if necessary, and give priority to the UI (I'O).

3) The delays were still present after all background tasks were terminated,

4) The thumb is an excellent digit for mutlitouch -- large area for touch detection. Look at the musical keyboards (piano, guitar, bagpipe, accordian), games (pinball, shooter games, etc.), pinch zoom.

5) The thumb was likely used because finger taps, often, needed to be repeated (not detected or ignored).

I guess you are saying that the Rim co-CEO doesn't understand how to use or demonstrate his product -- or the product is not robust enough to properly perform the basic function of detecting and handling multitouch events.

Yeah, now tell me, again, about the features of QNX OS and AIR UI -- the benefits, not so much!

• Reply 83 of 83
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

1) Part of the demo was run with n HD video supposedly running in the background.

2) A multitasking OS should suspend a bg task, if necessary, and give priority to the UI (I'O).

3) The delays were still present after all background tasks were terminated,

4) The thumb is an excellent digit for mutlitouch -- large area for touch detection. Look at the musical keyboards (piano, guitar, bagpipe, accordian), games (pinball, shooter games, etc.), pinch zoom.

5) The thumb was likely used because finger taps, often, needed to be repeated (not detected or ignored).

I guess you are saying that the Rim co-CEO doesn't understand how to use or demonstrate his product -- or the product is not robust enough to properly perform the basic function of detecting and handling multitouch events.

Yeah, now tell me, again, about the features of QNX OS and AIR UI -- the benefits, not so much!

Go and look at the Apple ads --- have any one of those ads use the thumb. Apple supposed spent zillions of dollars on UI studies.

It is demo-ware, it is not that hard to just add a couple of lines of codes to suspend the video if they want to the final code. But it makes a great demo to illustrate the power of their hardware and OS.