Comments

• Reply 41 of 105
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Double Post
  • Reply 42 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Actually, the main offense is speakers of British English assuming that their dialect is the Mother Tongue and everything else is merely a derivation. If that's the case, then we'd all better apologize to the Germans, since English is derived from their root language, according to linguists.

But perhaps you're the more cunning linguist.

While English is heavily derived from Germanic origins, unlike US English it is a separate language and not, for lack of a better phrase: a seperate dialect of the same language.
  • Reply 43 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mnb View Post

And for the last time... there is no extra i in aluminum!

Unlike most British I agree with you on that point as the discoverer of aluminum did in fact name it as such.
  • Reply 44 of 105
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You only speak English because of the English.

And the British would be speaking German if it wasn't for the Americans.
  • Reply 45 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Wow. My comment made the whole thread go waaaay off topic I see \

What I meant by my comment was not to insult anyone but simply to point out that "British English" is a double positive, and that "English" being used to refer to the US variant of English is somewhat incorrect and that the system used in iOS 3.x (which used "English (UK)" and "English (US)") was, in my opinion, more politically correct as UK English came before US English.

Apple is somewhat inconsistent in their use of conventions. In OSX, the variants for setting the dictionary are U.S. English, U.K. English and Australian English. Linguistically this is correct. Politically correct, I don't care about.
  • Reply 46 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I understand American Spanish, but who in the world speaks "American French"?

As for the wording, British English is "English," so it's definitely not insulting to refer to English as "English" and American as "US English." The US version is after all a variant that came much later, almost like a dialect of the original language.

It's the same situation as "Canadian French." It's a later variant (and quite different in spelling and pronunciation), than the original, thus the name. At the same time, you don't expect the French to rename their language "French French." That would be offensive. So saying that English folks should start referring to their language as "British English" is actually a reasonably insulting thing to do.

However, practically speaking, "US English" and "UK English" are generally non-offensive and totally sensible terms and people don't get upset by their use.

The main offence is really caused when people (Americans) just assume that everyone prefers the American variant (they actually don't, most English speakers around the world use original English spellings). I personally was also a little offended, (and I know others were too), by the world-wide release of a device for writing (the iPad), that didn't contain a simple English dictionary.

Since that's apparently being fixed with 4.2.1 though maybe we should all just chill and forget about it.

That's the silliest thing I've ever heard. Why would the default English for an American designed product not be the American dialect? And, the British should not take offense that English is broken up into dialects. Their dialect is as far removed from the original English as Australian, Canadian, or any other dialect. Languages evolve and change both in the country of origin and outside of it. It is pompous and arrogant to assume the English own the English language. When they invent a product, I fully accept colour, aluminium and all other spellings from the British dialect to be apart of it. Get over yourselves and choose the British English keyboard settings. It should not be an insult to have to choose that. Don't act like you invented the language yourself.
  • Reply 47 of 105
    Quote:

While English is heavily derived from Germanic origins, unlike US English it is a separate language and not, for lack of a better phrase: a seperate dialect of the same language.

English is not heavily derived from German, it is classified linguistically as a Germanic language. You could look it up. But I only mention this as a counterpoint to all the silly cultural chauvinism that always seems to crop up in discussions about language. But there I go speaking French again.
  • Reply 48 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Was pondering this while smoking a fag,

Smoking a fag? I've always heard "blowing a fag".

Might be Kiwi English, though.
  • Reply 49 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

So,

Is the wireless issue on the iPad's FIXED ??

I can confirm that the 2nd gold master of 4.2 for iPad fixed the WiFi issue. It was very evident in the first build, but the second completely cleared it up. i'm downloading 4.2.1 now to see if there are any new developments.
  • Reply 50 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

some of us would rather that than speak US English, lol.

if you want to bring politics and war into it, maybe the imbecilic brit politicians wouldn't recently have been complicit with their equally idiotic american counterparts in the murder of thousands of innocents - if it wasn't for certain war mongering self obsessed and falsely self-righteous american politicians. oh and maybe the americans should have started fighting terrorists a few decades earlier instead of funding them in ireland.

get off your high horses people, of course English is English, of course US English is a derivative much like a regional accent, but language evolves and changes - English not only has it's roots in german and french but also danish etc. innit. hell, drop a scouser, brummie or geordie in london and most brits won't understand half of what he says without him having to repeat himself slowly. we are not robots. why not embrace change? - maybe we should abolish all dictionaries...
  • Reply 51 of 105
    Quote:

I don't have access to the gold masters, thus my question. The iPad currently has British keyboards, but no English dictionaries. Just 'Murican'.

So when you are writing, you not only get squigglies under a bunch of words, the auto-correct tries to 'correct' them all the time which is very annoying.

Of course the iPad has an English dictionary
  • Reply 52 of 105
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Model A1181 View Post

We in America spell "Brisith" differently. I didn't realize that this was due to confusion.

Thomas Jefferson wrote about out "Brittish Bretheren" (sic).
  • Reply 53 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BadPhysics View Post

This assertion would be more compelling with the word "only" relocated two words to the right.

HAAAAAA. Nice.
  • Reply 54 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

And the Americans would be speaking British English if it weren't for the French.
  • Reply 55 of 105
    Quote:

Set the language to "British English" (That doesn't even make sense, ITS JUST "ENGLISH" DAMNIT YOU IGNORANT AMERICANS! )

But yeah.. Set the language to "British English".

Pure elitism. Sorry, but there's two distinct versions of English that share the name. It's a simple fact that many use for a sense of superiority.

As for the fact that Apple calls it English and British English. Sorry. It's an American company.
  • Reply 56 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

I can confirm that the 2nd gold master of 4.2 for iPad fixed the WiFi issue. It was very evident in the first build, but the second completely cleared it up. i'm downloading 4.2.1 now to see if there are any new developments.

Great !!

Looking forward to your update.

Maybe we can get this back on Topic instead of the useless ignorant chit chat.
  • Reply 57 of 105
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Model A1181 View Post

We in America spell "Brisith" differently. I didn't realize that this was due to confusion.

Haha!
  • Reply 58 of 105
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BadPhysics View Post

This assertion would be more compelling with the word "only" relocated two words to the right.

Yoda is me.
  • Reply 59 of 105
    Quote:

I understand American Spanish, but who in the world speaks "American French"?

As for the wording, British English is "English," so it's definitely not insulting to refer to English as "English" and American as "US English." The US version is after all a variant that came much later, almost like a dialect of the original language.

It's the same situation as "Canadian French." It's a later variant (and quite different in spelling and pronunciation), than the original, thus the name. At the same time, you don't expect the French to rename their language "French French." That would be offensive. So saying that English folks should start referring to their language as "British English" is actually a reasonably insulting thing to do.

However, practically speaking, "US English" and "UK English" are generally non-offensive and totally sensible terms and people don't get upset by their use.

The main offence is really caused when people (Americans) just assume that everyone prefers the American variant (they actually don't, most English speakers around the world use original English spellings). I personally was also a little offended, (and I know others were too), by the world-wide release of a device for writing (the iPad), that didn't contain a simple English dictionary.

Since that's apparently being fixed with 4.2.1 though maybe we should all just chill and forget about it.

In pracice, if we, Americans, are misunderstood when speaking French French -- we just repeat ourselves... speaking louder.

Edit: "The French don't care what you do, actually -- as long as you pronounce it properly! (Rex Harrison as Professor Dolittle in My Fair Lady)

• Reply 60 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Actually, the main offense is speakers of British English assuming that their dialect is the Mother Tongue and everything else is merely a derivation. If that's the case, then we'd all better apologize to the Germans, since English is derived from their root language, according to linguists.

But perhaps you're the more cunning linguist.

Was ist das?

Das ist Scheiße!