34% of non-AT&T smartphone buyers wish they could buy Apple's iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new survey has found that more than a third of U.S. smartphone buyers on carriers other than AT&T wish they could have bought the iPhone, expressing buyer's remorse.



ChangeWave on Friday released the results of a new survey which polled consumers on their new smartphone purchase. As has been shown numerous times before, customers who bought Apple's iPhone were happier than those who invested in handsets from any other manufacturer, with 77 percent of all iPhone buyers in the last six months saying they are "very satisfied."



The 1,212 U.S. respondents were also asked what phone they would have bought if it was available from their wireless carrier. 46 percent said they would have stuck with their current smartphone, but a whopping 34 percent of those surveyed who aren't on AT&T said they would have bought an iPhone.



The survey also found that Motorola fares the worst on this question, as 39 percent of Motorola smartphone buyers would stick with their new purchase, and a very close 37 percent would have preferred an iPhone.



The survey also reiterated the fact that customers are even happier with the iPhone 4 than they were with the iPhone 3GS. A total of 84 percent of those who bought the 32GB iPhone 4 said they were "very satisfied," while 78 percent of those who bought the 16GB model chose the same.







For comparison, the recently released Samsung Galaxy S, an Android-based handset available on all four major U.S. carriers, has a "very satisfied" rating of 55 percent. That's still better than the 28 percent "very satisfied" rating given by customers of all other Samsung models.







Earlier this month, ChangeWave found that netbook interest is waning as more customers are eyeing Apple's iPad. Among those who said they are looking to buy a tablet, 80 percent said they are most likely to purchase an iPad.



In September, ChangeWave also revealed that the total sum of handsets running Google Android were just as popular with consumers as the iPhone. Of 4,000 respondents polled, 37 percent said they would prefer an Android phone, while 38 percent chose the iPhone.
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 55
    So if 34% would have bought an iPhone vs what they have, which is more than likely an Android OS type device, could we just do the quick math and multiply by 34% how many Android phones have been sold to date in favor to Apple's iPhone. Once that is done, would that change who the leader is regarding actual phone sales above Android? Noticed I said 'actual phone sales'... none of this BOGO crap to boost units released out in the wild! Hmmmmm...
  • Reply 2 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    A new survey has found that more than a third of U.S. smartphone buyers on carriers other than AT&T wish they could have bought the iPhone, expressing buyer's remorse.



    ]



    1/3 sounds like a lot, but it is only 1/3 of smartphone owners, and further, it is only recent buyers of smartphones.



    I wonder what the number would be if all the total phone owners were included. Certainly less than 33 percent. Given that smartphone owners are less than half of total phone owners, ISTM that we are talking about less than 17 percent.



    Anybody know what percentage of the market is made up of smartphones? 25%?
  • Reply 3 of 55
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post


    So if 34% would have bought an iPhone vs what they have, which is more than likely an Android OS type device, could we just do the quick math and multiply by 34% how many Android phones have been sold to date in favor to Apple's iPhone. Once that is done, would that change who the leader is regarding actual phone sales above Android? Noticed I said 'actual phone sales'... none of this BOGO crap to boost units released out in the wild! Hmmmmm...



    BOGO is nothing. Outside the US, many iphone carriers offer zero dollar iphones on contract.



    All the changewave surveys are garbage --- quarter after quarter they will put out a press release saying x% of verizon subscribers would go to at&t because of the iphone. But it never happens because Verizon has been beating at&t in postpaid net adds quarter after quarter.
  • Reply 4 of 55
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I think the "Very Satisfied" rating is much more significant than people saying they are somewhat satisfied. Not everyone will admit to buyer's remorse.



    I don't quite get the passive statement at the end which says:



    "Of 4,000 respondents polled, 37 percent said they would prefer an Android phone, while 38 percent chose the iPhone."



    Edit: went back and discovered it means people planning to purchase a smartphone in the next 90 days.
  • Reply 5 of 55
    99.9% of iPhone owners wish that they could escape AT&T (the other 0.9% have jailbroken iphones).
  • Reply 6 of 55
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,538member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post


    BOGO is nothing. Outside the US, many iphone carriers offer zero dollar iphones on contract.



    All the changewave surveys are garbage --- quarter after quarter they will put out a press release saying x% of verizon subscribers would go to at&t because of the iphone. But it never happens because Verizon has been beating at&t in postpaid net adds quarter after quarter.



    You're wrong about all of this.



    First, it doesn't matter what's done out of the US because we're talking about the US, where that doesn't happen. Don't mix things that don't mix.



    Secondly, I'm willing to bet that what they say is far more accurate than what you're saying. I know a lot of people here who want an iPhone, but they can't get one because of the carrier for various reasons.



    And since we're talking about smartphones, not feature phones, or other cheap phones, that's all that matters. The smartphone segment is growing several times as fast as cell phone growth overall. I think it grew about 90% last quarter.



    And AT&T's growth has been better than that of Verizon for a while now, because of the iPhone. This is important, because no phone company prefers prepaid users to those on contract, and iPhone users have been willing to pay for more expensive contracts, both here, and in other areas of the world.
  • Reply 7 of 55
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    The survey also reiterated the fact that customers are even happier with the iPhone 4 than they were with the iPhone 3GS. A total of 84 percent of those who bought the 32GB iPhone 4 said they were "very satisfied," while 78 percent of those who bought the 16GB model chose the same



    I know these are good numbers but assuming your iPhone is working with no major problems - how can you NOT be very satisfied? We all know it is awesome. Maybe if I traded mine in for an android variety I would prefer that, but that doesn't change the fact that the iPhone is amazing. I wonder what 24% of iPhone 4 16 gb user find to their dissatisfaction. And why are people who own 32gb versions happier? I may be unhappy about my decision to by 16 instead of 32 gb but how does that change the phone?
  • Reply 8 of 55
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Of 4,000 respondents polled, 37 percent said they would prefer an Android phone, while 38 percent chose the iPhone.



    ... and 98% of the respondents don't know why ...
  • Reply 9 of 55
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    I know a lot of people here who want an iPhone, but they can't get one because of the carrier for various reasons.



    because of the carrier for various reasons.



    what are the various reasons? various? you either have at&t as your carrier and can get an iphone or you don't. (or you get one and jailbreak it, but that's something else.) lord.
  • Reply 10 of 55
    bull



    if they want an iphone they would just change their carrier. All carriers are equally crappy.
  • Reply 11 of 55
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    You're wrong about all of this.



    First, it doesn't matter what's done out of the US because we're talking about the US, where that doesn't happen. Don't mix things that don't mix.



    Secondly, I'm willing to bet that what they say is far more accurate than what you're saying. I know a lot of people here who want an iPhone, but they can't get one because of the carrier for various reasons.



    And since we're talking about smartphones, not feature phones, or other cheap phones, that's all that matters. The smartphone segment is growing several times as fast as cell phone growth overall. I think it grew about 90% last quarter.



    And AT&T's growth has been better than that of Verizon for a while now, because of the iPhone. This is important, because no phone company prefers prepaid users to those on contract, and iPhone users have been willing to pay for more expensive contracts, both here, and in other areas of the world.



    You need to have the numbers to back up your statements.



    Verizon never had to announce any warning in SEC filings for BOGO's vs. AT&T had to for the iphone subsidies. So objectively, it is AT&T that is juicing up their sales, not Verizon.



    AT&T Wireless is growing slower than Verizon Wireless --- once you take out Tracfone's numbers. And Tracfone is cheap prepaid feature phone.
  • Reply 12 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post


    ... Verizon never had to announce any warning in SEC filings for BOGO's vs. AT&T had to for the iphone subsidies. So objectively, it is AT&T that is juicing up their sales, not Verizon. ...



    It's always amusing to watch you shamelessly sling bullshit.
  • Reply 13 of 55
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,538member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post


    because of the carrier for various reasons.



    what are the various reasons? various? you either have at&t as your carrier and can get an iphone or you don't. (or you get one and jailbreak it, but that's something else.) lord.



    A lot of people have their carrier because of their business, so they're stuck on that. Others don't want AT&T, so they're not going there. Others only get coverage from one carrier where they are. And still others are on a family plan, and other members don't want to switch.



    You apparently don't know this, but most people don't want to jailbreak their phones.
  • Reply 14 of 55
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,538member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post


    You need to have the numbers to back up your statements.



    Verizon never had to announce any warning in SEC filings for BOGO's vs. AT&T had to for the iphone subsidies. So objectively, it is AT&T that is juicing up their sales, not Verizon.



    AT&T Wireless is growing slower than Verizon Wireless --- once you take out Tracfone's numbers. And Tracfone is cheap prepaid feature phone.



    The numbers are in several surveys. You can read them yourself. You make statements that have no agreement from anything that's been done in this are by the various companies that do this work.



    Just because the numbers don't agree with what YOU want them to be, doesn't mean they're not correct.



    however, you have nothing at all to back up anything you say.



    The way this works, is that whomever disagrees with something said or shown is the one who needs to show proof of their disagreement. That means the ball is in your court.



    AT&T had a big upfront cost because of the large numbers of iPhone buyers, but they more than make up for that during the time of the two year contract. You should understand that. I hope you do.



    As far as growth goes, Verizon was ahead by 6 or more million right after it bought Allitel, but now:



    http://www.electronista.com/articles...iphone.effect/



    I had a chart, but I can't find it now.
  • Reply 15 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bill-G View Post


    1/3 sounds like a lot, but it is only 1/3 of smartphone owners, and further, it is only recent buyers of smartphones.



    I wonder what the number would be if all the total phone owners were included. Certainly less than 33 percent. Given that smartphone owners are less than half of total phone owners, ISTM that we are talking about less than 17 percent.



    Anybody know what percentage of the market is made up of smartphones? 25%?



    ...what difference does this point make? In fact what point are you making here? What is the actual number of smartphone owners? Any ideas?



    Let me help you: as of June 2010 in the US (only) - 61.2 million smartphones and wireless-enabled PDAs or 20.9% of the total 292.8 million wireless subscriber connections -- according to a report to CTIA-The Wireless Association.



    So, while 61.2 million is "only" 20.9% of the total wireless market for the US (292.8million) it is still 61.2 MILLION devices. Does that number seem small to you? Or does the use of percentages legitimize dismissal of the actual numbers as being inconsequential? The US for example has (according to the Census Bureau) over 310,742,138 in population, but that is a "paltry" 4% of the world's population (6,882,586,644).



    Moreover, any idea what the profit margin on a feature phone is (judging from recent financials from the handset makers not much apparently)?
  • Reply 16 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post


    ...what difference does this point make? In fact what point are you making here? What is the actual number of smartphone owners? Any ideas? ...



    Don't bother. Bill-G is the troll formerly known as Steve-J, aka any number of other aliases, probably including the infamous tekstud.
  • Reply 17 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post


    So, while 61.2 million is "only" 20.9% of the total wireless market for the US (292.8million) it is still 61.2 MILLION devices. Does that number seem small to you?



    I was trying to figure out how this data fit into the overall market.



    1/3 of 1/5 is very much smaller than 1/3 of the customer base.



    We're talking about 7% of the market.
  • Reply 18 of 55
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,538member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bill-G View Post


    I was trying to figure out how this data fit into the overall market.



    1/3 of 1/5 is very much smaller than 1/3 of the customer base.



    We're talking about 7% of the market.



    7% of what market?
  • Reply 19 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bill-G View Post


    I was trying to figure out how this data fit into the overall market.



    1/3 of 1/5 is very much smaller than 1/3 of the customer base.



    We're talking about 7% of the market.



    I'm trying to figure out if you're intentionally throwing numbers in a blender, pulling out small bits and pretending they're significant or if you're really that bad at objectively looking at a situation.
  • Reply 20 of 55
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,070member
    what about the % of people who haven't even purchased an iphone because of its exclusivity on at&t and would purchase if/when it comes to another carrier?
Sign In or Register to comment.