Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jeff Gagne View Post

Does anyone know what time it will be?

Before 10:00 AM PST.
  • Reply 42 of 217
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

No, it's not really something that needs to be exposed to the user. As pointed out, the whole point is that the user doesn't need to be aware of what's going on in "the background". It would be way more confusing to most users if some apps showed up in this list and others didn't.

I disagree. Background apps do things like playing sound. That's why it needs to be exposed. They need to know who is making that sound and how to stop it.
  • Reply 43 of 217
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I understand all this, but I'm with ascii, this is a bad design for what it is IMO.

The purpose of the double-click is to expose an "app switcher." As long as most apps don't support multi-tasking (and the vast majority don't even though the functionality has been available to developers for ages), then an app that is completely stopped shouldn't really show up in that list. The operator uses the list to find a recently running application to "switch" to. If the app has to be started all over again like many do, then there is no reason for it to show up in that lis. It's also annoying to go to the list and have it be forty or fifty applications long, when in fact only the first couple can really be "switched to."

I'd like to see it display either only running apps, or failing that, only apps that can be resuscitated when switched to. I have several apps from big name companies that have never been updated to be multi-tasking aware and likely won't ever be at this stage.

With iOS 4 apps don't actually run in the background but certain processes do. The reason it shows recent apps is because all apps compiled using iOS SDK 4.x should be able to take advantage of at least one form of multitasking. The simplest one is "Saved State" feature, which requires no coding by the developer whatsoever. Beside, the recent app dock main function is to make it faster to move between apps without the need to go back to the Home screen.
  • Reply 44 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pomme View Post

Jailbreakers are pirates.

Yar, Matey! Off the plank with ye! Arrrgggh!
  • Reply 45 of 217
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I disagree. Background apps do things like playing sound. That's why it needs to be exposed. They need to know who is making that sound and how to stop it.

There are dedicated sound controls in the recent apps dock that show you which app is currently playing music and let you control it. There is also an indicator for GPS activity in the status bar. These are the only multitasking features that can run indefinitely until they the service is turned off, the app is forced to shutdown, or the device is restarted.

However, I used to have problem with Skype and Fring. Once you open them they keep you logged in and receiving calls. In recent updates they offered and option to log out after certain period of time of when the app is closed.
  • Reply 46 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Not all of us are pirates. Grow up.

Quote:

All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares.
  • Reply 47 of 217
    While iOS 4.1 fixed most of the problems 3G users were having since the 4.0 update, there are still times when my 3G hangs when attempting to enter text or open an app; likewise apps are still occasionally crashy. Hopefully, 4.2 will take care of these remaining niggling issues.
  • Reply 48 of 217
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Quote:

I don't pirate any apps at all, I have bought a few apps through Cydia though. Don't tar everyone with the same brush.

I've got a shaved head too but am not a facist for instance....
  • Reply 49 of 217
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jeff Gagne View Post

Does anyone know what time it will be?

Hammer time.

p.s. iOS Multitasking isn't all it's cracked up to be. Most of my apps end up getting automatically closed. As someone stated above, they end up in what is essentially a "recently used" app list. When I go back to the app i.e. a video game, the state is lost and I have to restart a level again or something like that. It's not TRUE multi-tasking.
  • Reply 50 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacDevil View Post

Find My iPhone is now free? What the heck am still I paying that $100 to MobileMe for?

You are paying for everything that is not find my thing. If you don't like the email account, the gallery and storage space etc, don't renew it. You'll still be able to use your Apple ID for find my thing. And it is possible they will let you keep that email address/password simply as a log in so if you set it up with that you won't have to change anything. We will soon know

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

That's "cue"

Cue or Queue works.

Cue as in signal to begin

Queue as in line up, which is what we will get. A line up of folks telling us how much 4.2 sucks and what crap it is etc. Just like they say about all things Apple.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lav1daloca View Post

The iPhone is great, but it has some serious shortcomings that sometimes makes me want to throw it out the window. SOMEBODY WITH SOME SERIOUS PULL AT APPLE BETTER TELL JOBS THAT HIS IPHONE IS STILL LACKING!!!

That is your opinion and you are welcome to it. But your opinion doesn't dictate what Jobs and Apple will do or even should do. No matter how much you yell it. Or how many other companies are doing it (Lord knows that Apple doesn't do things just cause everyone else does. In any of their product)

Particularly when literally millions of folks disagree and are buying the phones anyway. A fair number being upgraders from previous iphones that couldn't do all those things either.
  • Reply 51 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

As pointed out, a background app playing audio is indicated there and can be controlled, the rest of the apps are just recent apps that you can switch to, that's all there is to it. It's not complicated, and there's no reason Apple ought to make it complicated. You're simply over-thinking it with old-school assumptions about how a computer works.
  • Reply 52 of 217
    Might want to wait to download this software and see how buggy it is. No sense downloading it and having to wait for updates to fix whats wrong. Remember there's no way to go back to 4.1
  • Reply 53 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

That's "cue"

Fixed. Thanks.
  • Reply 54 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I see iOS 6.0 as the unifying OS for iOS and OSX. Lion is the last release of OSX as you cannot top a Lion in the cat world.

Doesn't a "liger" top a mere lion?
  • Reply 55 of 217
    It's 1:00pm Eastern time. Still no update.
  • Reply 56 of 217
    The good people at Apple said 4.2 available now. Define now.
  • Reply 57 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

... Lion is the last release of OSX as you cannot top a Lion in the cat world. ...

Actually, a tiger is probably much more powerful than a lion, and certainly more so than a leopard, so there really isn't any relationship between the specific cat and where the OS is going. Also, Apple isn't locked into cat names for Mac OS releases, so even if there were no more cats, they can just switch the code name to something else.

(Re-)Unification of Mac OS and iOS is not imminent.
  • Reply 58 of 217
    It's now available to download
  • Reply 59 of 217
    iPhone 4 - 624.3 MB It went from 8 to 33 min. ;-)

Now my iPad is only a 7 min wait for 551.4mb.
  • Reply 60 of 217
    Not available in Canada yet...