Apple to release iOS 4.2 for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch today

15678911»

Comments

• Reply 201 of 217
    Sounds like a few people had problems updating to the new iOS. It took me close to 3 hours to complete an upgrade, which included downloading new versions of iWork. I had to actually use the Restore function to get my iPad up and running properly. The best advice I can give once you start the upgrade process is to "let the system sit" for as long as needed. It will appear the computer and the iPad are hung. From reading posts in the Apple Support area, this seems to be a common occurrence. Don't get too impatient. Also, if you are using a laptop, make sure your power adapter is plugged in. You don't want your computer to die in mid-update process.
  • Reply 202 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I'm sure Jobs said during iOS4.x demo that you'll be able to search a webpage for content, just like pressing Command+F in Safari on a Mac. Did anyone figure out how to do that yet?

The feature works on iPad and iPhone. With a web page already open, tap the search field to the right of the url field. Type something. A list will pop up showing suggestions and below it (you may have to scroll down) appears another list that says something like "on this page (3 matches)." If you select the page matches text, you will see a little action down at the bottom of your screen that will be obvious in its workings (here at the bottom, the iPad includes a search field while the iPhone only next and done buttons, due to screen real estate restrictions, I imagine). Works a treat and very apple like. Enjoy!
  • Reply 203 of 217
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Considering the number of people updating all at the same time, some people with jailbroken devices, some people who are too impatient to let the update process complete, I'm actually surprised there aren't more problems. The only apparent real problem seems to be with Exchange servers, and there is a workaround. Seems like a pretty good update process, comparatively.

It's not the update process - that went very smoothly.

My iPhone 4 has crashed twice since updating - both times whilst using built in Apps - Safari and Prefs. That's as many times as it has reset since I first bought it over three months back.
  • Reply 204 of 217
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

As pointed out, a background app playing audio is indicated there and can be controlled, the rest of the apps are just recent apps that you can switch to, that's all there is to it. It's not complicated, and there's no reason Apple ought to make it complicated. You're simply over-thinking it with old-school assumptions about how a computer works.

I don't think I have old fashioned assumptions. I love having my assumptions challenged and my old ideas blown away, but that's not what's needed here. This list is largely useless and is confusing people (not just me, check Apple's discussion forums). Double-tapping the home button should go straight to the audio controls.
  • Reply 205 of 217
    Just updated to 4.2.1. All went well.

AirPlay is tremendous and now I can really use skype and pandora while getting other work done!

I have an Infiniti G37x which didn't work with the iPad until this update. Now, it works great.

Thanks Apple!
  • Reply 206 of 217
    There's always exceptions. My experience was just fine and makes the iPad a lot more useful.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by deanbar View Post

Just out of interest I went to Apple support forums to see any feedbacks on 4.2 before I update. Guess what - bugs galore. Have a look, no end of problems. What is happening to Apple these days that they keep issuing buggy software, or bricking devices? Not enough testing before release.

Just seems too much aggravation nowadays to jump in too quick with the updates. Best to wait awhile for the fixes, but annoying just the same. Come on Apple, you can do better than this. My iPhone 3G a case in point

• Reply 207 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

The feature works on iPad and iPhone. With a web page already open, tap the search field to the right of the url field. Type something. A list will pop up showing suggestions and below it (you may have to scroll down) appears another list that says something like "on this page (3 matches)." If you select the page matches text, you will see a little action down at the bottom of your screen that will be obvious in its workings (here at the bottom, the iPad includes a search field while the iPhone only next and done buttons, due to screen real estate restrictions, I imagine). Works a treat and very apple like. Enjoy!

Cool, Thanx!!!
  • Reply 208 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by burtonman View Post

There's always exceptions. My experience was just fine and makes the iPad a lot more useful.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by burtonman View Post

Just updated to 4.2.1. All went well.

AirPlay is tremendous and now I can really use skype and pandora while getting other work done!

I have an Infiniti G37x which didn't work with the iPad until this update. Now, it works great.

Thanks Apple!

Update smooth here too. Mine was a jail broken 3.2.1 iPad.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

Sweet.
  • Reply 209 of 217
    I used the Netputing Hactivate AirPrint program for 10.6.5 and was able to print to my HP Deskjet D2660 which couldn't before. A bit raw though, in Safari no way to set page width or something.

Ah well, give 'em time, I'm liking 4.2.1 so far. Just hope they release a stable jailbreak in 2 weeks time. I need that display mirroring. Absolutely crucial.

Multitasking and Unified Mailbox finallyyyy
  • Reply 210 of 217
    Anyone with any comments on battery life after installing 4.2 on the iPad? I can't see any changes in the rate of drainage so far with casual use on my first full chrge since installing the update.
  • Reply 211 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by simtub View Post

Anyone with any comments on battery life after installing 4.2 on the iPad? I can't see any changes in the rate of drainage so far with casual use on my first full chrge since installing the update.

Battery life acceptable to me so far. Trying out Rage HD soon.

And you guys really gotta try out Atomic Web Browser. Once you get the hang of it, can't imagine browsing any other way.
  • Reply 212 of 217
    No Airprint unless I buy an HP Printer? That is ridiculous. I can't print via any of our Mac's and I have to say this is extremely disappointing.

Should rename it Noprint
  • Reply 213 of 217
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    An Italian site did some testing of the RAM usage between iOS for iPad versions and found that Apple made some significant tweeks.
    Unfortunately for me, and surely others, Safari is still likely to reload pages between page switches in Safari.
  • Reply 214 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

An Italian site did some testing of the RAM usage between iOS for iPad versions and found that Apple made some significant tweeks.
    Unfortunately for me, and surely others, Safari is still likely to reload pages between page switches in Safari.

Use Atomic Web. Can handle 5 tabs at least without significant refresh/ recaching.
  • Reply 215 of 217
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Use Atomic Web. Can handle 5 tabs at least without significant refresh/ recaching.

I have that, but i think the damage is done. I already have little interest in using the iPad for web surfing over my iPhone or Mac. However, I also prefer my iPhone or Mac for using Mail so maybe it’s just a preference issue. I do like the tab options in Atomic over the pages option in Safari on the iPad.

PS: Happy "harvest feast” if the country you reside has one. If not then, well, enjoy your next meal.
  • Reply 216 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I have that, but i think the damage is done. I already have little interest in using the iPad for web surfing over my iPhone or Mac. However, I also prefer my iPhone or Mac for using Mail so maybe it’s just a preference issue. I do like the tab options in Atomic over the pages option in Safari on the iPad.

PS: Happy "harvest feast” if the country you reside has one. If not then, well, enjoy your next meal.

Heh. Thanks dude, no harvest feast here, though I will enjoy my Subway sandwich this dinnertime.

Tried some WiFi connectivity for 4.2.1 iPad at some cafes here, somewhat flakey. Iphone4 was okay. It will be an issue for some people. Using my 3G/Edge, much more convenient than hunting for WiFi that who knows whether the router is working properly or not. Could not connect at all to the Starbucks one I tried. I guess, tech nowadays... I know what I like and what works for me, but there will always be frustration for many. I'm sure Apple has to take some blame but some of these routers are complete garbage, my home PC, when doing a file transfer it maxes out the router and it subsequently crashes. Does not happen with Macs in my house. Router brand is LevelOne.

But I think something is definitely funky with the iPad WiFi even on 4.2.1. Starbucks had that "colubris" login thingy which worked fine on iPhone4 but not my iPad.
  • Reply 217 of 217
    Yes. Running Jailbreaked 4.2.1 now. DisplayOut is updated. Now I have full mirroring out of iPad display. Awesomeness. My 4.2 experience is ready to take off! I want to do some TV Rentals too as well. The WiFi issues tend to linger here and there at times though.