iPhone music vanishes with Apple's iOS 4.2, hackers release 'jailbreak'

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Some users have found that updating their iPhone to the latest software version, iOS 4.2, has made their iPhone music disappear, though a quick fix is available. Also, hackers have quickly released a "jailbreak" for the new mobile operating system update.

Quick fix for vanishing iPhone music in iOS 4.2.1

Since the release of iOS 4.2 on Monday, some users have experienced disappearing music on their iPhone. A thread on the Apple Discussions forums has found that the music was not erased, but needs to be re-synced.

Some who posted on Apple's forum have found a fix for the issue that seems to work. User "slouchsock8" recommended the following method:

Connect iPhone to iTunes via USB

Play a song on the iPhone itself from iTunes

Click the "Sync" button to re-sync the iPhone

Open the iPod application on the iPhone to rebuild the music library

The latest software update was released as iOS 4.2, but is technically iOS 4.2.1. iOS 4.2 was released to developers as a beta earlier this month, but issues with Wi-Fi connectivity forced Apple to build a second golden master with fixes before public release.

"Tethered jailbreak" for iOS 4.2 released

Hackers quickly released a software "jailbreak" for iOS 4.2 after the update was made public Monday. Jailbreaking is a practice that allows users to run code not approved by Apple on their mobile device.

A group of hackers known as the iPhone Dev-Team released the latest update of their hack, dubbed "redsn0w," with version 0.9.6b4. It is available for both Mac OS X and Windows.

For recent devices -- the iPhone 4, newer iPhone 3GS models, latest-generation iPod touch, and the iPad -- the jailbreak, for now, is "tethered," meaning users must reconnect their device to a computer via USB to re-jailbreak if they need to restart it. Users of the iPhone 3G, older iPhone 3GS models and second-generation iPod touch (models numbers that don't start with MC) can have an untethered jailbreak.

Apple and the hacking community have been engaged in a cat-and-mouse game for years, as Apple looks to plug security holes and hackers find ways to exploit them. Jailbreaking allows users to do things with their iPhone Apple and its carrier partners do not allow, such as custom themes and icons, "true" multitasking with applications running in the background, Wi-Fi tethering, and FaceTime over 3G.

Apple has primarily expressed concern that jailbreaking allows users to steal software from the App Store. The Cupertino, Calif., company has also cautioned that the jailbreaking process, while legal, can make iOS devices less secure.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    This happened to me too. Not only did music not show up but movies and podcasts as well were absent. Well, not absent, the files are there on the phone. But for some reason, the phone doesn't think they are there. I solved it by asking iTunes to remove the 4 movies I had on the device and then syncing. Then I put the movies back on and synced again. That solved all my problems (music, movies and podcasts). Given the solution offered in the article, the updating of any of the media files seems to fix the problem so the simplest way to do it is tickle one of the music files by playing it on your Mac/PC.

BTW, this problem has happened before to me with a previous major updates, and fixing it was pretty much the same as I described above.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    The vanishing music issue is at least now consistent with the vanishing video bug that the iPad has suffered from for months, where videos are copied across but sometimes don't show, requiring a re-sync.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    Lost my music and solved it with a re-sync.

Contacts and calendars were not updating as well so I deleted my MobileMe account from the phone, selected yes to delete data on the phone and then set up the MobileMe account again.

Now... on to figure this AirPrint thing!
  • Reply 4 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobStar View Post

Lost my music and solved it with a re-sync.

Yeah, just a simple resync. Don't need to do the "Play a song on the iPhone itself from iTunes" voodoo.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    Power off/on worked for me.

Didn't anyone at Apple test this before they released it?
  • Reply 6 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Some users have found that updating their iPhone to the latest software version, iOS 4.2, has made their iPhone music disappear, though a quick fix is available. Also, hackers have quickly released a "jailbreak" for the new mobile operating system update.

Apple has primarily expressed concern that jailbreaking allows users to steal software from the App Store. The Cupertino, Calif., company has also cautioned that the jailbreaking process, while legal, can make iOS devices less secure.

I lost my phone while upgrading to 4.2.1 - it bricked.

I had to replace it at the Apple Store. They were very very nice and accommodating and even though there was no genius appointment available they helped me out.

What happened (according to the genius) was that the communication with the Apple servers was lost while the firmware was being upgraded and that caused the phone to brick. Why is this communication required is beyond my understanding.

Needless to say I am happy to have new working phone again.

In a way though I am also a little upset with Apple. I pay premium prices for a premium experience. This was not one of those moments. I hope they are going the Microshit way!!!!!!!
  • Reply 7 of 38
    Well this stupid update forced me to upgrade to iTunes 10.1, and now OS X runs slow as hell...
  • Reply 8 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdsonice View Post

I had to replace it at the Apple Store. They were very very nice and accommodating and even though there was no genius appointment available they helped me out.

What happened (according to the genius) was that the communication with the Apple servers was lost while the firmware was being upgraded and that caused the phone to brick. Why is this communication required is beyond my understanding.

In a way though I am also a little upset with Apple. I pay premium prices for a premium experience. This was not one of those moments. I hope they are going the Microshit way!!!!!!!

I'm sorry you had troubles with your upgrade process. Whatever the device (computer, iPhone, etc), we always want (and hope for) a smooth experience.

But being mad at Apple for not providing a 'premium' experience is a bit unrealistic. That's like buying a $100,000 Mercedes or BMW, and expecting it not to suffer the same mechanical issues inherent to any car. In the end, it's still a car, and things can go wrong with it. And the iPhone is a computer, that can suffer corruption like any other computer.

The premium experience is that you were able to take it to an Apple Store and have it swapped out painlessly. Try doing that at Best Buy or anywhere else...
  • Reply 9 of 38
    I also have had this problem a few times. I find that simply transferring one more song onto the phone seems to work pretty well...

now to figure out what my apple login is...
  • Reply 10 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

I also have had this problem a few times. I find that simply transferring one more song onto the phone seems to work pretty well...

now to figure out what my apple login is...

Not to go on a tangent but YES - the apple login system is wacky. It requires an email format name but using one's email address doesn't work (nor does using one's apple ID). I think integrating apple IDs and mobileme is being done a little more quickly than it should be - at a minimum, you would think they would post instructions about how to associate an email address with an existing apple id.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    yes. simple re-sync (took about 10 seconds as there was no new information to sync - I don't use dynamic/random playlists).
  • Reply 12 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

I think not as we had the no media problem with two iphones and an ipad. Was scared for a few minutes until I resynced and everything came back in several seconds.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    Quote:

Just out of curiosity, is the computer you were updating from a Mac or Windows machine?

On Windows, ZoneAlarm (and possibly other firewall/AV software) is a frequent cause of problems, particularly with OS updates.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    When I updated my iPhone my Music was missing and a simple re-sync did fix it.

However my wife's phone updated perfectly with no hiccups at all!

I am unsure of what the differences are, other than I had some podcasts and she has none.
  • Reply 15 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Since the release of iOS 4.2 on Monday, some users have experienced disappearing music on their iPhone. A thread on the Apple Discussions forums has found that the music was not erased, but needs to be re-synced.

Does anybody see a nexus between these two stories? "some users" have a problem. Jailbreakers. Jailbreakers steal software. Apple tries to protect its developers. Spple doesn't like criminals mucking around inside their devices. "Some users" have an experience with an Apple product which is different from the Apple User Experience.

Who are these people who claim problems? Jailbreakers? Criminals? Jailbreaking allows users to steal software from the App Store. Jailbreaking makes Apple's iPhones less secure. Apple tries its level best to protect the Apple User Experience for the average user.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Exactly. But simply turning off/on didn't work, will have to sync later after work.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _Rick_V_ View Post

I'm sorry you had troubles with your upgrade process. Whatever the device (computer, iPhone, etc), we always want (and hope for) a smooth experience.

But being mad at Apple for not providing a 'premium' experience is a bit unrealistic. That's like buying a $100,000 Mercedes or BMW, and expecting it not to suffer the same mechanical issues inherent to any car. In the end, it's still a car, and things can go wrong with it. And the iPhone is a computer, that can suffer corruption like any other computer.

The premium experience is that you were able to take it to an Apple Store and have it swapped out painlessly. Try doing that at Best Buy or anywhere else...

Wait a second... The genius told him communications between servers and his phone were dropped while updating the firmware. This is pretty strange!

He must be talking about downloading the update file, not the process of applying the update. If the file was corrupt by a little, it may still be able to run, but this is why you see installations say things like "validating files" before running, which the apple update should have done and eventually caught the error in the file.

If a connection to the internet is required to APPLY the update, that in itself is bizarre as well.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Just out of curiosity, is the computer you were updating from a Mac or Windows machine?

On Windows, ZoneAlarm (and possibly other firewall/AV software) is a frequent cause of problems, particularly with OS updates.

what a PITA \
  • Reply 19 of 38
    Quote:

I bet it could have been fixed with a simple dfu mode reboot
  • Reply 20 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pomme View Post

Does anybody see a nexus between these two stories? "some users" have a problem. Jailbreakers. Jailbreakers steal software. Apple tries to protect its developers. Spple doesn't like criminals mucking around inside their devices. "Some users" have an experience with an Apple product which is different from the Apple User Experience.

Who are these people who claim problems? Jailbreakers? Criminals? Jailbreaking allows users to steal software from the App Store. Jailbreaking makes Apple's iPhones less secure. Apple tries its level best to protect the Apple User Experience for the average user.

Interesting thoughts.