Sony adopts, then drops, Cocoa-like GNUStep plans to rival Apple iOS

Comments

• Reply 41 of 102
    Outside of the Columbia Pictures vault, what technology or product does Sony have that sets it apart from other competing companies?
  • Reply 42 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rivertrip View Post

Get rid of products, but keep people? You don't know much about corporate mergers.

Then just shut it down completely. That makes more sense.

The products are worthless to Apple. I was trying to save what might have had some worth.
  • Reply 43 of 102
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasein View Post

Outside of the Columbia Pictures vault, what technology or product does Sony have that sets it apart from other competing companies?

One thing (as I just said in a previous post) is this division: http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/home.do
  • Reply 44 of 102
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

I would love to know how that will turn out if it does happen.

sony world wide media content is great for apple

and sony could use some hot cocoa

so why not a limited partnership

• Reply 45 of 102
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

In all the negatives about Sony I see no mention of the Sony Professional Division. They have been one of, if not the mainstay of TV production for decades.

This is where I get my toys that are not Apple

I don't think they have the market share they once had back in the Betacam days. I switched to Canon several years ago. If you watch professional sports you might get a glimpse of the cameras and you'll see most are not Sony anymore. I don't know what boards they are using in the truck but I see Sony losing ground in this division as well.
  • Reply 46 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by z3r0 View Post

... I can also see Nokia going with their own OS (they will scrap Symbian) ...

Isn't Symbian actually Nokia's own OS already? And didn't they just finish pushing all the open source goons out of the club in preparation for some serious in house development?

It seems more likely to me, that rather than dropping Symbian, Nokia is preparing to run with it as their main OS and modernise it for smart-phones.
  • Reply 47 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't think they have the market share they once had back in the Betacam days. I switched to Canon several years ago. If you watch professional sports you might get a glimpse of the cameras and you'll see most are not Sony anymore. I don't know what boards they are using in the truck but I see Sony losing ground in this division as well.

That's kind of sad. I loved all the pro Sony gear during my TV production days. I only sold my BetacamSP deck a couple of years ago ... or so i seems
  • Reply 48 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

...Apple TV lacks a compelling from the sofa value proposition.

Bullshit. The Apple TV, at just $99, is a fantastic value for anyone who has an extensive iTunes-based media collection. It also is the best living room player for Youtube and the best living room player for streaming NetFlix. What it IS NOT... is a DVR or a kitchen sink media player. If that's what you need and you don't need the Apple TV for what it is, then the Apple TV is not for you. But to say it's a poor value device in general is just plain stupid.
  • Reply 49 of 102
    Look, I hate Sony as much as the next schlub, especially after they broke the original PS3's optical drive motor with a firmware release and then decided with another firmware release to kill my Linux partition. Yes, Sony hates their customers. Yes, they stick to overpricing proprietary formats that no one else will license, and yet why all this hate? You would think they were partnering with Google or something
  • Reply 50 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Bullshit. The Apple TV, at just $99, is a fantastic value for anyone who has an extensive iTunes-based media collection. It also is the best living room player for Youtube and the best living room player for streaming NetFlix. What it IS NOT... is a DVR or a kitchen sink media player. If that's what you need and you don't need the Apple TV for what it is, then the Apple TV is not for you. But to say it's a poor value device in general is just plain stupid.

I agree 100%. BTW Anyone know how to rename an ATV so my old one and new one don't show up with same name in multiple speaker dialog?
  • Reply 51 of 102
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

BTW Anyone know how to rename an ATV so my old one and new one don't show up with same name in multiple speaker dialog?

Can?t you just click the name in iTunes and rename it?
  • Reply 52 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Can?t you just click the name in iTunes and rename it?

Neither of mine show up anymore in the Device section, I assumed this was due to using Home Sharing but that was a guess, I was surprised when they were not there. They both stream perfectly.
  • Reply 53 of 102
    VERY interesting also...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I wonder why the article didn't mention that (after the $23M in seed money put in by Steve Jobs), Sony was the first investor in NeXT Computer, Inc. (with $600M).

• Reply 54 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

My only gripe (and this may be me missing something of course) is that home sharing isn't allowed by all members of a family MobileMe at same time. As it is only one account can be used to home share at any one time and with multiple ATVs it would be nice to allow all.
  • Reply 55 of 102
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Neither of mine show up anymore in the Device section, I assumed this was due to using Home Sharing but that was a guess, I was surprised when they were not there. They both stream perfectly.

Ah. In the AppleTV go to Settings » General » Name.
  • Reply 56 of 102
    Just like Motorola, who has always been bad in software development. MOT (and Sony) missed out on not buying Palm -- HP made a smart move, now both MOT and Sony are without their own smartphone OS that is up to task with iOS...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Perhaps. But Sony has no footprint in developing programming APIs. I just don't see them writing software.

• Reply 57 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

If Nokia goes with Win7, I will be encouraged to keep my Apple stock. :-)

They might be a better purchase - lots of IP

???
  • Reply 58 of 102
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Look, I hate Sony as much as the next schlub, especially after they broke the original PS3's optical drive motor with a firmware release and then decided with another firmware release to kill my Linux partition. Yes, Sony hates their customers. Yes, they stick to overpricing proprietary formats that no one else will license, and yet why all this hate? You would think they were partnering with Google or something

Sony's a horribly run company that squandered their position as a great CE company by becoming undisciplined and unfocused. It's not hate to see them as a bad acquisition candidate, or to belittle them for their hubris.

Anyone who's been buying electronics for any length of time looks at Sony and just shakes their head. The customer hating and proprietary formats are just icing on the cake, although again, for anyone who's dealt with them for more than a few years, it puts a little edge into one's perception.
  • Reply 59 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Just noticed this little jewel:

Included in a bundle with lots of goodies -- only $58,000 per...

http://www.electronista.com/articles...ot.the.hobbit/
  • Reply 60 of 102
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Red has been making some impressive advancements on the art at unprecedented price points.

But they have to swim upstream against several factors-- the motion picture industry is extremely conservative when it comes to technology, camera vendors have relationships with production people and rental houses going back many years, and there are lots of bits that have to work together (the ecosystem) that favor the incumbents. Red is also seen as a bit of a cowboy outfit, and people on set just want predictability, reliability and on call service with instant turn around.

So that for instance the Arri Alexa, while in some ways not as technologically advanced as the newest Epic cameras from Red, will probably enjoy better uptake through the industry, because of name recognition and a seamless transition.

OTOH, if Red can ever stop making tweaks and improvements and start shipping product, the Epic does bode to be a pretty major game changer, and I believe there are more A list directors than in the past that are ready, willing and able to use the latest tech to achieve their vision. So we'll see.

Personally, I'm more interested in the lower cost Scarlet line, which was originally intended to be price competitive with some of the Prosumer HD camcorders out there, while delivering vastly better quality-- like getting a high end DSLR for point and shoot money. However, that project too has been subject to endless revisions and price creep. If Red can sell a fixed lens, 2/3" sensor 3K camera for around $8,000, ready to shoot (so including battery, display, etc.) then that's a pretty big deal. Not as big as the original "3K for 3K" idea, but big nevertheless.