Google nearly ready to challenge Apple, Amazon with e-bookstore

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjw View Post

OK dinosaur

That's right dude... I'd rather be pwning n00bs than this "reading" stuff.

On a side note the California government's recent initiative, "Call of Duty: Modern Literature"

was an abject failure.

• Reply 22 of 73
    I'm nearly ready to create a perpetual motion machine...

Tell me when it happens.
  • Reply 23 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

You can read it on iPhone or iPad using Safari but I see where you're coming from.

EDIT: I think Google got tbeir strategy right. Convenience will win. Average user will not care. Apple & Amazon should watch out.

Google could potentially include books in searches and allow users to buy the books or even pay a smaller amount for limited access to books. If I'm reading up on, say, the 1980 election, I might be willing to pay $1.49 to read a chapter of a campaign aide's memoir even if I don't want to pay for or read the whole book.

I love iBooks, but an open system has a lot more possibilities than a closed one like iBooks that is only available on my Apple devices.
  • Reply 24 of 73
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

So no internet connection no book?

How is that going to work when I go on holiday with my WiFi iPad and I have no internet connection (or a very expensive one). What is the point of a book reader that needs to be connected to the internet, there is no customer benefit, just a benefit to Google to feed you ads. Fail!

Who wants to use up 3G data allowances reading books on their phone?

I'm sure extensions like Read It Later will take care of that.
  • Reply 25 of 73
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

Google could potentially include books in searches and allow users to buy the books or even pay a smaller amount for limited access to books. If I'm reading up on, say, the 1980 election, I might be willing to pay $1.49 to read a chapter of a campaign aide's memoir even if I don't want to pay for or read the whole book.

I love iBooks, but an open system has a lot more possibilities than a closed one like iBooks that is only available on my Apple devices.

Yeah, so many possibilities there. I'm still using iBook mainly though. I'm not a fast reader anyway.
  • Reply 26 of 73
    tjwtjw Posts: 216member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

That's right dude... I'd rather be pwning n00bs than this "reading" stuff.

On a side note the California government's recent initiative, "Call of Duty: Modern Literature"

was an abject failure.

Ha. I was referring to the user I quoted and their idea that cloud computing, apps based in the browser is a 'dumb thing'. He prefers to sync all his stuff (via a cable I expect) with iTunes.

Anyone that can't see the benefit of a cloud computing future is a dinosaur.
  • Reply 27 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Google Editions, the search giant's entry into the e-book market, is in the "final stages," and is set to debut by the end of the year, posing a threat to Apple's new iBookstore, according to a new report.

This will only pose a threat to iBook Store if it is available to iOS devices with the same simplicity and ease of purchase.

Failing that, it will be no threat to iBooks at all.
  • Reply 28 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtrader88 View Post

Google is trying to get into everything in this world. I totally hate to use anything that is Google. They are trying to push Web base system, where everything is base on the Browser. I think that is very dumb.

I much prefer the iPad experience of reading on a tablet & syncing all my book in one place with a backup copy in iTunes.

yes, google thought the browser was the way and i thought so too until Jobs gave new life to the old app idea with the iphone and app store.

and i always turn my wifi off to conserve battery when i am doing a lot of reading so this browser crap won't sell me. will stick with amazon kindle reader....
  • Reply 29 of 73
    Who goes back to their computer to read the book they purchased on the iPad?

Google is hoping their FUD against apple being "closed" is going to pay off. "Oh Noes you can't read your book on XXX obscure device!" Like users actually care about that?
  • Reply 30 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

Who goes back to their computer to read the book they purchased on the iPad?

Google is hoping their FUD against apple being "closed" is going to pay off. "Oh Noes you can't read your book on XXX obscure device!" Like users actually care about that?

i do. i read technical books on my desktop at work and i move from ipad, to windows to mac to linux and use kindle reader for all of them.
  • Reply 31 of 73
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

EDIT: I think Google got tbeir strategy right. Convenience will win. Average user will not care. Apple & Amazon should watch out.

Apple is the loser here. Unless Apple comes out with their own dedicated 7" e-reader, only iPad users will buy iBooks. You can only read an iBook on an iPhone or iPad- what good is that? Amazon still has all the platforms covered and at a cheaper price. Even Barnes and Noble followed Amazon's model. And remember Amazon had their app out loong before iPad was announced. As an iPhone user I can buy a Kindle book and read it on my iPhone Mac- no problem.
  • Reply 32 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Don't take me too seriously. I like my iPad 32GB WiFi 3G. But the only thing I read is the Zinio samples and I've only bought one or two simple iPad/iPhone "tips" books from the iBookStore. I don't watch much movies nowadays, PC gaming has enough good, cinematic storylines going for it (Starcraft 2, Crysis Warhead, Mass Effect 2 are the notable recent completions).

BTW I don't know what the hold up is but these publishers are idiots if they continue to ignore the iBookStore for whatever reason (they'll probably blame Apple as usual).

The education market is primed to explode with books on iPad. Whether it will come to full fruition, we shall see... Many, many more millions of iPads to be made and sold in 2011. Publishers will either be on-board with a better selection, or maybe they'll be off to suckle at the teat of Google only to realise they're the ones being bled dry hmm?

BTW these idiotic publishers still have some very, very ridiculous geographic restrictions on iBookStore. I've said it before, PEOPLE ARE ALREADY READING LESS AND NOT BUYING YOUR PHYSICAL BOOK... AND YOU DON'T WANT TO SELL IT MORE WIDELY AROUND THE WORLD?

My sister-in-law was working with Penguin etc. in the UK and in mid-2008 they were trying to do a big e-Book push with Sony's e-Readers and what not. Talk about not having a clue. To be fair, the iPad was nowhere to be seen at the time, it only existed as sparkles of interweb thistles. This kind of things with Penguin UK are some of the reason the country's screwed... Among many other things.

I can sympathize with you about "idiotic publishers" in switzerland we still get only the Gutenberg collection for the iBook application. So to read eBooks I have to use the Kindle app which I find is not quite as nice as the iBook app. I really hope, that apple may achieve deals with many publishers.
  • Reply 33 of 73
    mknoppmknopp Posts: 257member
    Quote:

Spot the obvious loser here:

Amazon kindle store, available on all platforms.

Apple iBooks store, available on iOS devices.

Google Editions, available on anything with a web browser.

The sad thing is apple are unlikely to expand to other platforms.

LOL!

It still amazes me that some people still don't get it. Apple is a hardware company. The software and stores are there to help sell their hardware.

So, let's look at your example from another angle.

Amazon kindle, can only read books from Amazon bookstore.

Apple iPad can read books from Amazon, B&N, Borders, iBookstore, and soon Google Editions.

Google doesn't sell hardware, but will presumably make money from sells of Android, which can read books from Amazon, B&N, Borders, and Google Editions.

The sad thing is that Amazon is unlikely to expand the Kindle to read books from other stores.

See how narrow minded and just flat out wrong that is?

Sure Amazon wants the Kindle to do well, but if it doesn't, it is no big deal because they are primarily a retailer who makes their money from sales of books, not hardware. Sure Apple wants the iBookstore to do well but if it doesn't, it is not big deal because they are primarily a hardware company who makes their money from sales of hardware, not eBooks.

As for Google Editions, it is a little too early for its own good. Sure, it would work fine while I am sitting at home. However, how about when I am on a four hour flight? Or how well will it work when I don't have 3G and no hot spot access at a restaurant? The majority of people still do not have ubiquitous access to the internet at all times, thus, there will be a strong desire for locally stored books to read. Perhaps in another decade or two the total cloud model will work out, but that isn't today or even tomorrow.

Besides, everyone seems to be overlooking the biggest monkey wrench in any eBook scheme the evil publishing houses. Just how on board are they to Google's plans? How many big publishing houses and which ones have signed up? These details seem to be conspicuously lacking at this time. To me this just sounds like another Google TV, where before its release everyone was touting that it was going to be a huge game changer, but once released the networks neutered it where it stood by taking away the content.

I wouldn't count your chickens before they are hatched with Google. They fail more often than they succeed with stuff other than search.
  • Reply 34 of 73
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    This isn't off topic IMHO as it is as much about Google's expansion of services as it is a about specifics:

It is about time Apple moved again into some of Google's territory (iAds being the first I can think of). I wonder if Apple is considering its own Apple Maps any time soon? They purchased a couple of companies that were involved in this a while back. I suspect Search isn't something Apple would want to get into but I may be wrong given they also purchased Siri, maybe a new approach to search. Apple have a way of reproaching what others have done before and reinventing it.
  • Reply 35 of 73
    tjwtjw Posts: 216member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mknopp View Post

LOL!

It still amazes me that some people still don't get it. Apple is a hardware company. The software and stores are there to help sell their hardware.

So, let's look at your example from another angle.

Amazon kindle, can only read books from Amazon bookstore.

Apple iPad can read books from Amazon, B&N, Borders, iBookstore, and soon Google Editions.

Google doesn't sell hardware, but will presumably make money from sells of Android, which can read books from Amazon, B&N, Borders, and Google Editions.

The sad thing is that Amazon is unlikely to expand the Kindle to read books from other stores.

See how narrow minded and just flat out wrong that is?

Sure Amazon wants the Kindle to do well, but if it doesn't, it is no big deal because they are primarily a retailer who makes their money from sales of books, not hardware. Sure Apple wants the iBookstore to do well but if it doesn't, it is not big deal because they are primarily a hardware company who makes their money from sales of hardware, not eBooks.

As for Google Editions, it is a little too early for its own good. Sure, it would work fine while I am sitting at home. However, how about when I am on a four hour flight? Or how well will it work when I don't have 3G and no hot spot access at a restaurant? The majority of people still do not have ubiquitous access to the internet at all times, thus, there will be a strong desire for locally stored books to read. Perhaps in another decade or two the total cloud model will work out, but that isn't today or even tomorrow.

Besides, everyone seems to be overlooking the biggest monkey wrench in any eBook scheme the evil publishing houses. Just how on board are they to Google's plans? How many big publishing houses and which ones have signed up? These details seem to be conspicuously lacking at this time. To me this just sounds like another Google TV, where before its release everyone was touting that it was going to be a huge game changer, but once released the networks neutered it where it stood by taking away the content.

I wouldn't count your chickens before they are hatched with Google. They fail more often than they succeed with stuff other than search.

This article is about ebook stores, in that arena the kindle store is and always will be more dominant than the iBooks store.

The thing with google is that they can afford to fail on things. The whole company is like a collection of start up companies. Sooner or later they are going to hit a home run.
  • Reply 36 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

i do. i read technical books on my desktop at work and i move from ipad, to windows to mac to linux and use kindle reader for all of them.

iBooks on the iPad can read ePub or PDF format, so I don't see why that's an issue. There's also a Kindle app for iPad if that is an issue.

iBookstore flaws aside (ePub+DRM format that can only be read on iPad), the iPad is still the most flexible device. I would say the problem is more with whatever author is making your technical books, and what format they choose to sell their books in.

DRM sucks regardless of what platform or device you are talking about.
  • Reply 37 of 73
    Quote:

This article is about ebook stores, in that arena the kindle store is and always will be more dominant than the iBooks store.

The thing with google is that they can afford to fail on things. The whole company is like a collection of start up companies. Sooner or later they are going to hit a home run.

Sort of like the home runs that Apple hits on a consistent basis...

Kindle always more dominant? Please tell us more.
  • Reply 38 of 73
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

Free with ads will ALWAYS win. ...

via Daring Fireball:

Quote:

It turns out that there is something that can compete with free: easy.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/pa...032903,00.html

Anyone who deals with Google any more than they absolutely can't avoid is a fool. Although there are many things I don't agree with Richard Stallman on, he's right that "the cloud" is a trap. Google's services, all of them, are a trap. Google's cloud is really a fog hiding a rocky lee shore, and Google's services are like the wreckers who put out false lights to lure ships onto those rocks so they can plunder them.
  • Reply 39 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

What's funny is I edit those books and they don't pay me squat!! I want a pay raise google if you succeed (I work in the dept that scans and edits these books lol) plus not to mention it will prob be available soon as I've been lumped into a expedited group and we've been told that the books are "high priority" bs pay me more before I have to work harder for my 10$ an hour

You should see the scanning crew with the OCR equipment! Looks like a sweat shop almost

You're an editor? Have you actually read your own post?

I weep for the future of the English language. Nice knowin' you!
  • Reply 40 of 73
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Sort of like the home runs that Apple hits on a consistent basis...

Kindle always more dominant? Please tell us more.

battery life, battery life, battery life