Google nearly ready to challenge Apple, Amazon with e-bookstore

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjw View Post

... If anything google is a company that promotes freedom. More people have access to more of human knowledge than ever before thanks to google.

Well, the feds probably got some of that information on you from Google.

Google is a company that not only undermines privacy, but exists only by conducting a relentless assault on it. Privacy is a necessary condition for freedom. Google does nothing to promote freedom, but undermines it at every turn. The destruction of privacy, in which Google is the leading player, is an attack on democracy and a free society. And, there's still a lot more human knowledge in libraries that you can find on the Internet. Although, Google is doing it's best to steal and control that.
  • Reply 62 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

The problem with iBooks is not the number of devices it runs on, it is the pathetic selection of books in the store.

Actually the problem with iBooks is the pathetic publishers who refuse to sell me content.

I live in New Zealand and the only content I can access is the Gutenburg Project stuff.

GIVE ME BOOKS I CAN BUY.

That goes for the TV douches as well. Still can't buy TV shows legitmately. Guess where I get them from?

You only have yourselves to blame you non-business-savvy idiots.
  • Reply 63 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Serious reading of digital books is for eReaders and Tablets. More comfortable and almost as natural as reading a hard copy book than reading on a browser of a desktop or laptop screen.

Nah! They're going to force you to read books on GoogleTV on the HDTV screen...

... makes about as much sense as surfing...

Google: "We know, What you are reading, Where you are reading it, When you are reading it, Why you are reading it... and we will send a black maria spy van over to see Who you are reading it to!

... if you don't want Google to know what you are doing, perhaps you shouldn't be doing it!

• Reply 64 of 73
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

actually the problem with ibooks is the pathetic publishers who refuse to sell me content.

I live in new zealand and the only content i can access is the gutenburg project stuff.

Give me books i can buy.

That goes for the tv douches as well. Still can't buy tv shows legitmately. Guess where i get them from?

You only have yourselves to blame you non-business-savvy idiots.

+1 ...
  • Reply 65 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rabbit_coach View Post

i can sympathize with you about "idiotic publishers" in switzerland we still get only the gutenberg collection for the ibook application. So to read ebooks i have to use the kindle app which i find is not quite as nice as the ibook app. I really hope, that apple may achieve deals with many publishers.

+1

Also... you know where the next big market is in e-reading? Chinese language books and publications.
  • Reply 66 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

You can load it up with a bunch of books, sit it on the shelf for weeks unused and it will still power up so yes battery life is great. It is also easier on the eyes and can be read in sunlight. It's priced low enough, under $100 would be even better, that people will buy it even if they have an ipad or other tablet/notebook computer.

I don't think technology has yet reaced the point where one device will do it all. In the mean time I am planning on having both.

Why is your username very similar to established user "tjw"?
  • Reply 67 of 73
    Google's tentacles permeate the entire internet, they are simply to big and to omnipotent for comfort, for the love of choice apple, PLEASE create a competitive search engine.
  • Reply 68 of 73
    tjwtjw Posts: 216member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, the feds probably got some of that information on you from Google.

Google is a company that not only undermines privacy, but exists only by conducting a relentless assault on it. Privacy is a necessary condition for freedom. Google does nothing to promote freedom, but undermines it at every turn. The destruction of privacy, in which Google is the leading player, is an attack on democracy and a free society. And, there's still a lot more human knowledge in libraries that you can find on the Internet. Although, Google is doing it's best to steal and control that.

So you are suggesting the intelligence services wander over to google and ask them every time they need some information. So before google I guess they knew nothing? Do you know how ridiculous that sounds. Yes I am sure google have to provide information if asked but so would any company. They could just as easily ask apple to locate you through your iPhone if they wanted to. Not that they would because there are much easier channels to go down.

The intelligence agency have access to all phone records/calls you make, all traffic through your isp, multiple surveillance cameras, when your credit card is used and at what location. Do you really think that google knowing what websites you have been on through google analytics really adds anything that they don't already know?

Again I reiterate. A core part of freedom is access to information. Google is the biggest revolution in access to information people in the western world have ever had.
  • Reply 69 of 73
    Quote:

...Again I reiterate. A core part of freedom is access to information. Google is the biggest revolution in access to information people in the western world have ever had.

Not *just* the western world.

I'm still deciding whether Google is evil or not.

For the first time in human civilisation we are approaching a singular source of virtually all humanity's knowledge, stories, emotions, technology, etc. And Google is one of the main doors to this source.
  • Reply 70 of 73
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,854member
    Quote:

So you are suggesting the intelligence services wander over to google and ask them every time they need some information. So before google I guess they knew nothing? Do you know how ridiculous that sounds. Yes I am sure google have to provide information if asked but so would any company. They could just as easily ask apple to locate you through your iPhone if they wanted to. Not that they would because there are much easier channels to go down.

The intelligence agency have access to all phone records/calls you make, all traffic through your isp, multiple surveillance cameras, when your credit card is used and at what location. Do you really think that google knowing what websites you have been on through google analytics really adds anything that they don't already know?

Again I reiterate. A core part of freedom is access to information. Google is the biggest revolution in access to information people in the western world have ever had.

While it's known that Google and the NSA work together, the real point is that allowing a private company to collect information on people that it would be illegal for the government to collect themselves is a dangerous thing. We ended the TIA program, but Google is now collecting probably more detailed information than TIA would have.

Clearly there's the potential for abuse by Google and Google employees, but having this kind of surveillance information collected in one place creates the potential for for one stop shopping for governments to gather information on individuals that they would not legally be able to collect themselves. Please stop pretending that Google is only tracking web site hits. Google is the closet thing to the surveillance society of 1984 the world has yet seen.

Apart from the fact that it's simply dangerous to allow anyone, government or private company, to collect this amount of data on anyone, let alone everyone, the potential and likelihood of abuse being so great, there is the classic "chilling effect" that the mere fact of data collection has on people's behavior. Just because you don't want it known what you are doing, doesn't mean you are doing anything wrong. Privacy is valuable in and of itself.

For information access, Google presents another problem. Clearly one of their goals is to control access to information, taking away the freedom to access it, without going through them. A gatekeeper to information is not freedom at all, and that is what Google has become and wants to be. It's known that they manipulate search results to promote their own services, but it isn't clear the full extent to which they are or are willing to manipulate other searches. Bottom line, Google does not promote freedom of access to information, they interfere with it, yet another evil they do every day.
  • Reply 71 of 73
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Why is your username very similar to established user "tjw"?

It is a coincidence. It is made up of letters from my name and I have used it for years on the CNC forum. It confused me too when I read measages from tjw that I hadn't posted.
  • Reply 72 of 73
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mknopp View Post

Nope. But if you want to listen to a song while reading Mark Twain or surf the internet looking up a reference from that text then you are going to need another device. The real question is just how much extra you are willing to pay for that eInk screen and week long battery life. Because, in the end, that is what a dedicated eReader like the Kindle is compared to a multifunction device that can read eBooks along with all of the other stuff it can do, just an extra.

I wouldn't want to listen to a song nor watch TV nor surf the internet while reading- a book? No real reader would!

FYI: Kindles have the ability to play music and Kindles have a built in dictionary too. Have you ever tried a Kindle? Or are you just not interested because you're not a real reader?
  • Reply 73 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

It is a coincidence. It is made up of letters from my name and I have used it for years on the CNC forum. It confused me too when I read measages from tjw that I hadn't posted.

OK no worries. There is a recurrent disruptive poster who has been spoofing usernames each time he gets banned and comes back... Apologies.