Women want Apple's iPhone, men prefer Google Android, Nielsen finds

Comments

• Reply 61 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by God of Biscuits View Post

The other bit of data they fail to mention is that on the Android side of things, this includes ALL Android devices vs iPhones-only.

Granted, there are so very few available Android-OS-based devices that aren't smartphones, but still, they seem to be including those devices in the total sales numbers while they're ignoring 50million iPod touches and ten+ million iPads in the total sales numbers.

Add in iPod touches and iPads and Android isn't anywhere close to outselling iOS devices just yet.

And why would they include the iPod and iPad when it's clear they were doing a smartphone only survey? Last I checked, neither the iPod nor iPad were technically smartphones.
  • Reply 62 of 91
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranger_one View Post

Of all my programmer/engineer/scientist friends who use Android, none of them seem to do anything with the phone that they can't do with the iPhone (I've asked).

So none of your apparently technically oriented friends use desktop widgets like the Facebook widget? They don't use Google Maps Navigation, Gesture Search, Google Voice commands or Skype (if they've got an Android 2.2 phone)? Or wonderful push apps like Google Scoreboard (works well with the window blind notifications of Android)?

If that's the case, then you're right. They should be using iPhones.
  • Reply 63 of 91
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    "32.6 percent of male respondents said they wanted an Android smartphone"

No accounting for stupidity!
  • Reply 64 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

"32.6 percent of male respondents said they wanted an Android smartphone"

No accounting for stupidity!

Right back at you and your 28.6%!
  • Reply 65 of 91
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Many men feel the need to compensate for something and Apple doesn't provide phones with screen sizes in excess of 4 inches.
  • Reply 66 of 91
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Right back at you and your 28.6%!

Yes, it should have been much higher, were it not for the stupidity among boys.
  • Reply 67 of 91
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

So none of your apparently technically oriented friends use desktop widgets like the Facebook widget? They don't use Google Maps Navigation, Gesture Search, Google Voice commands or Skype (if they've got an Android 2.2 phone)? Or wonderful push apps like Google Scoreboard (works well with the window blind notifications of Android)?

If that's the case, then you're right. They should be using iPhones.

"So none of your apparently technically oriented friends use desktop widgets like the Facebook widget? They don't use Google Maps Navigation, Gesture Search, Google Voice commands or Skype (if they've got an Android 2.2 phone)? Or wonderful push apps like Google Scoreboard (works well with the window blind notifications of Android)?" Hmm, neither am I. Have my own set of useful apps I'm content with because I should be using the iPhone! Huh...
  • Reply 68 of 91
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I laughed at the title. I thought for sure this was Leslie Neilsen's final joke.

Surely, you can't be serious!!!
  • Reply 69 of 91
    timontimon Posts: 152member
    Maybe this is true before men start using an Android but I bet you'll find more switching after. I have an Android Droid so I speak from experience.

To me the Android is about where the iPhone used to be early on. Sure it has many of the features but it's buggy and many of the apps will make it either unstable or flat out slow. There is no polish to it at all. The way that Android does multi-tasking is over rated and is one of the reasons it becomes so unstable.

To me about the only real thing it has over the iPhone is that you can load programs outside of the Market Place and Googles turn-by-turn navigation, which by the way doesn't even know where you can or can't makes legal turns.

So as I said I have an Droid but when the iPhone comes to Verizon I'm switching.
  • Reply 70 of 91
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue.
  • Reply 71 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by God of Biscuits View Post

What was the margin of error?

100%

Again... polling is a marketing service not science. If you've got tens of thousands of dollars, you can buy a poll from any of the major "respected" polling services right now. Though the political polls cost substantially more.

Why would a polling company just pay people to go out and ask questions about iPhones?

You want an accurate way to measure purchasing demographics for iPhones? Here you go.

Looks like a lot of sausage to me. Takes a bit of $ from an Android manufacturer to try and say otherwise at the start of the holiday shopping season.

Don't be a sheep, be a shark.
  • Reply 72 of 91
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

They're making me question my ManHood.

Don't feel bad - I have always questioned the manhood of iPhone users.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

Woman prefer iPhones. So does that mean that Women prefer men with iPhones?

I'll try and break this to you gently - no, it means they prefer other women with iPhones.
  • Reply 73 of 91
    z3r0z3r0 Posts: 238member
    So in other words if you want to attract more women buy an iPhone!
  • Reply 74 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

You don't think it has something to do with the Terminator-esk advertising Droid has saturated our living rooms with, do you?

Everytime I see a Droid commercial I cringe because of how many suckers I know believe the phones really will turn your arms into robot hands!

Advertising is such a crock, people who let commercials determine what product they buy deserve what they waste their money on. Use your brain & do some research, don't buy into hype. Don't get me wrong, not saying dumb people buy Android phones, just saying people often buy phones not based on what is right for them but on what gets them excited. I know a lot of people who have bought iPhones who really shouldn't have, just cause your friends say it's the coolest doesn't mean it is. I know a lot of Droid users who keep sayin, "If I can just wait for the next android update I know it will lay golden eggs this time, that's what they promised!" Boy I could smack people sometimes.

1) Make a list of what features are important to you.

2) Research professional reviews online for feature highlights

3) Research user reviews for stability & battery performance

4) Buy the phone that is highest rated for the functions you actually need and care about.

For me that was an iPhone, for one of my friends that was an HTC Hero, for another a Blackberry Bold. All 3 of us are very happy with what we got & none of us got what we have just cause it was cool or cause of some ad on TV.
  • Reply 75 of 91
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    I always love these threads. The denial is so tremendous you could power an entire continent off of it. Same responses over and over again, questioning the polls and statistics when they are the most accurate to date. We all know Android devices outsold iPhone devices, and we all know Android is not the current leader in market share in total OS, but is poised to be with the pace they are selling devices.

Also, is it at all surprising men are gravitating toward Android devices? They work just as good as an iPhone and pack some incredibly high powered cutting edge hardware and features. HDMI? DLNA? Super AMOLED? 4" Screens? 1 Ghz Processors? Oh, and it just works, go figure.
  • Reply 76 of 91
    I'm not a statistician, but I can spot bad analysis. It's misleading to say that women prefer the iPhone more than men do because the percentage of women who want an iphone is almost identical to the percentage of men who want an iphone. The only real difference is between people who know what they want and those who don't.

A better conclusion would be to say "where men and women may both be unsure which smart phone they would prefer, men are more likely to eventually choose an Android phone."

Infographics are great, but there is a real danger to misread them.
  • Reply 77 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

I always love these threads. The denial is so tremendous you could power an entire continent off of it. Same responses over and over again, questioning the polls and statistics when they are the most accurate to date. We all know Android devices outsold iPhone devices, and we all know Android is not the current leader in market share in total OS, but is poised to be with the pace they are selling devices.

Also, is it at all surprising men are gravitating toward Android devices? They work just as good as an iPhone and pack some incredibly high powered cutting edge hardware and features. HDMI? DLNA? Super AMOLED? 4" Screens? 1 Ghz Processors? Oh, and it just works, go figure.

Some Androids "just work" but definitely not all. An iPhone is an iPhone but not all Androids are equal. Trust me I know, I have to support many different mobile platforms & Android is often a buggy mess on many brands. HTC is about the only brand I think that really rocks, Droid from Verizon being one of the worst.

By the way, KIA sold about 10x the number of cars this year than porsche did, doesn't make a KIA better than a porsche.

There's always a ton of posts just like yours on these threads. iPhone repeatedly wins 1st in screen quality tests among mobile phones and as for HDMI, who the heck cares (as if any of us are plugging our iPhones into the TV to watch HD). As for DLNA, yeah I'm sure you're running into the possibility to use that a lot. Course if that's a feature you kinda like you can also do AirPlay with iPhone. Screen size is really a preference thing & has nothing to do with how good a phone is, personally I don't want a huge phone in my pocket, so sue me. Hardware specs also don't mean much and beefier parts often suck the battery right out of a phone. It's a shame that there are still people that don't understand it isn't about raw CPU power but about system optimization & software. If you think faster CPU & memory always equals better than you understand nothing about technology and should stop embarrassing yourself.

I must commend you though, at least you are honest about your bias...ifail.
  • Reply 78 of 91
    So... does this mean Lady Gaga has both? \
  • Reply 79 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

ONe survey i can call BS on. IN my country iPhone is a hit and men and women want to have it.

iPhone 4 is super hit in china... in my city, i've seen many people who bought iPhones and i'm yet to see a single android phone... i've never seen or played with android phone yet.
  • Reply 80 of 91
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue.

I?m glad someone ran with it.