Apple discontinues compact wired keyboard, Hulu Plus claims strong start

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple has quietly discontinued its compact wired keyboard, and only offers the full-size wired option on its store. Also, Hulu Plus, the recently launched $7.99-per-month TV service for iPad, iPhone and other devices, has "exceeded expectations" in attracting subscribers.

Apple no longer sells compact wired keyboard

Apple has silently removed the compact wired keyboard from its online store. The product is no longer available for purchase, and it cannot be selected as an option when configuring a new Mac.

The keyboard with part number MB869LL/A is officially discontinued, though some resellers still have stock available.

Apple introduced the compact wired keyboard in 2009 alongside a refreshed iMac line. It had a similar appearance to its wireless counterpart, as it lacked a numeric keypad.

While the wired compact keyboard is no longer available from Apple's store, it can still be purchased through Amazon for $46.99.

Apple still sells its full-size wired keyboard with numeric keypad for $49. It also sells the wireless keyboard, without a numeric keypad, for $69.

Hulu Plus 'exceeding expectations,' but no numbers given

Hulu Chief Executive Jason Kilar told Media Memo that his company's recently launched $7.99-per-month Hulu Plus plan is "exceeding expectations," and has already hit its year-end subscriber goals. The company has not, however, revealed how many subscribers it has.

However, while Hulu Plus allows iPad and iPhone users to watch the website's content on their mobile device, most of the success for the subscription plan has come through big-screen TV watching through the PlayStation 3 videogame console. The early data could suggest that users are not as interested in watching full-length TV shows on a smaller screen.

Hulu Plus formally launched in November at a lower price than the $9.99-per-month cost it had during a trial period. Subscribers can stream network TV content through the free Hulu application for the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch over both Wi-Fi and 3G.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    The compact wired keyboard never made sense to me. Anyone on a desktop is going to need/want those extra function keys and numeric keypad on the full-size version.

I imagine there probably is some demand out there for a full-size wireless keyboard as well, such as someone in an accounting firm who wishes to take the iPad to client meetings (hint hint, apple).
  • Reply 2 of 61
    need hulu plus on apple tv. stat.
  • Reply 3 of 61
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    For a mere US 7.99 a month, HuLu Plus is a very good value, and the viewing flexibility it affords is a serious win - IMO.
  • Reply 4 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

The compact wired keyboard never made sense to me. Anyone on a desktop is going to need/want those extra function keys and numeric keypad on the full-size version.

I imagine there probably is some demand out there for a full-size wireless keyboard as well, such as someone in an accounting firm who wishes to take the iPad to client meetings (hint hint, apple).

Count me in as part of the demand for a full-size wireless keyboard... I have a super-old one that I still use. I'd love to have one of the chicklet-style ones.
  • Reply 5 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 3M TA3 View Post

Completely agree. Hulu Plus and Netflix on Apple TV would sway me to cancel Verizon Fios.
  • Reply 6 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kwoot27 View Post

Completely agree. Hulu Plus and Netflix on Apple TV would sway me to cancel Verizon Fios.

I have been toying with this myself since my PS3 does indeed have both Netflix and Hulu Plus, but the one thing I can't get around is the sports. Other than local channels and ESPN3.com, I just don't know how I'd be able to watch my teams. My college teams either aren't regional to where I live or are not national powers (ie. not on the major networks a lot), and my pro teams are not local either. If anyone has an idea, please let me know, because I would love to eliminate that bill.
  • Reply 7 of 61
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 3M TA3 View Post

Agreed.
  • Reply 8 of 61
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has silently removed the compact wireless keyboard from its online store. .

So which is it?
  • Reply 9 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kwoot27 View Post

Verizon FiOS to me is not of use just because it's TV, but for it's bandwidth to run a company presence.
  • Reply 10 of 61
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    It will be interesting to see how competition develops between Hulu and Netflix.

Netflix recently changed their pricing structure and offer an "unlimited streaming only" plan for the same price as Hulu Plus. For $2 more you can get unlimited Blu-Ray/DVDs 1-at-a-time via snail mail in addition to unlimited streaming.

Netflix plans to shift the focus from the disc-by-mail service and try to secure more licenses and agreements to provide a larger selection of content over their streaming service.

I use Netflix and love it. And I would probably never use their disc-by-mail service if they had all the content I wanted on the streaming service.
  • Reply 11 of 61
    Because the little keyboard was stupid...
  • Reply 12 of 61
    Quote:

Apple has silently removed the compact wired keyboard from its online store.

Why the word 'silently'? Implies AI was expecting a media event announcing this move.
  • Reply 13 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

It will be interesting to see how competition develops between Hulu and Netflix.

Different audiences innit? Hulu has current and library tv shows and a small selection of library films. Netflix has library and new-release (but not current) tv shows and movies.
  • Reply 14 of 61
    grubgrub Posts: 24member
    Quote:

I got one of those keyboard included with my latest iMac. Immediately paired it with my iPad and use it there for typing-heavy sessions. Plugged my ever-awesome MS Ergonomic into the iMac.
  • Reply 15 of 61
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Apple has silently removed the compact wireless keyboard from its online store. .

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

So which is it?

Where did you get the second line?
  • Reply 16 of 61
    tedktedk Posts: 16member
    So, while we can get Hulu Plus on our iPads, we can't then stream the shows to our TV via Apple TV using AirPlay? It's blocked?
  • Reply 17 of 61
    Quote:

I disagree. My iMac is on a setup that is ladder shelves, and a special shelf for a computer. It fits my 20" iMac perfectly. I have the Magic Mouse, and the wired full size keyboard. My mousepad is, sadly, in front of my keyboard due to space issues. I have been waiting until I get an Apple gift card for Christmas to purchase, but seeing this, I guess I will be going to my local Apple Store today or tomorrow to pick one up.
  • Reply 18 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Verizon FiOS to me is not of use just because it's TV, but for it's bandwidth to run a company presence.

Did you intend to say "Verizon FiOS is, to me, of use not just because . . ."?
  • Reply 19 of 61
    I still miss the old white mac keyboards.
  • Reply 20 of 61
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TedK View Post

So, while we can get Hulu Plus on our iPads, we can't then stream the shows to our TV via Apple TV using AirPlay? It's blocked?

I don?t think 3rd-party apps have AirPlay support. I would expect it to come, but I?d wager that support will come as an optional API. Frankly, I don?t see why Hulu would ignore this feature, but they?ve blocked access to their regular, ad supported site on Google TV, so who knows.