Leaked videos show Sony 'PlayStation Phone' in action

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Several videos of prototypes of Sony Ericsson's 'PlayStation Phone' have emerged, giving viewers an early look at Sony's answer to the increasing popularity of gaming on the iPhone.

Leaked photos of the 'PlayStation Phone' were published by Engadget in October, but hands-on videos posted to YouTube this week are the best evidence for the phone's existence so far.

The device, which is listed as the "Zeus" model number in the video, has slide-out physical controls similar to the Sony PSP Go handheld gaming device, in addition to a touchscreen, which reportedly measures 4 inches. The slide-out controls appear to have the rumored multi-touch touchpad.

The video also corroborates rumors that the smartphone runs Google's "Gingerbread" Android 2.3. Earlier reports indicated that the phone has a 1GHz Qualcomm chip, 512MB of RAM, a 5 megapixel camera and 1GB of internal storage.

In a second video, the user selects the "PlayStation" icon to verify the smartphone's PlayStation functionality, though the device lacks any "content items" to display.

Further evidence of the Zeus PlayStation phone

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    Certainly not for me, but there could be one or two people interested in getting one of these.
  • Reply 2 of 66
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    1GB internal storage? I dont get it
  • Reply 3 of 66
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    They should have seen this coming so many years ago, made their portable gaming devices into great portable media players back in the iPod heyday and been ready for the inevitable combining of cellphones into pocketable devices. Too little, too late I’m afraid.
  • Reply 4 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They should have seen this coming so many years ago, made their portable gaming devices into great portable media players back in the iPod heyday and been ready for the inevitable combining of cellphones into pocketable devices. Too little, too late I?m afraid.

This is not a bad time.... the controls do allow for more advanced gameplay (in general!) than just a touch screen alone.

i do agree it could have come sooner, and probably should have, but its a fine device )from what i saw)
  • Reply 5 of 66
    It'll be interesting to see how well it integrates into the Playstation world. The PSP itself has great integration into full PS3 games and I can see Sony doing a great many things with a Playstation Phone. Use it as a PS Move controller perhaps?

Hopefully they can slim it down a bit before they show it off officially at CES.
  • Reply 6 of 66
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    I actually think this could be massive for Sony and for Android. Portable gaming is huge. The iPhone/iPod touch are good, but touch screens are not suitable for many genres of games. You really need buttons.
  • Reply 7 of 66
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nicolbolas View Post

This is not a bad time.... the controls do allow for more advanced gameplay (in general!) than just a touch screen alone.

i do agree it could have come sooner, and probably should have, but its a fine device )from what i saw)

Yeah, physically it does look nice. I wasn?t judging that aspect of it, I just hate when companies get lazy and miss opportunities that open up for them.

I also think Apple should have released gaming APIs for the iOS SDK and a signaling code for physical controller accessory makers. This would allow game designers to include physical controller options in the SW that would be the same across the board, and allow 3rd-party accessory designers to make D-pads and other such accessories, all whilst working independently of each other.
  • Reply 8 of 66
    That thing is huge, I don't think I'd enjoy walking around with that in my pocket all day. But maybe they can slim it down a bit before release
  • Reply 9 of 66
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Oooo. Ahhh.

(sorry I'm not excited by this in the least)
  • Reply 10 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Since the PlayStation Network offers games, movies, TV series and a social network, Sony may be going after more than just the gaming market with a PlayStation-branded phone. With access to media through the PSN, the Zeus could pose a serious threat to Apple's dominant iPhone/iTunes combo.

I wouldn't count on Sony posing a serious threat to anybody at this point, much less Apple.
  • Reply 11 of 66
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    "There are no content items."
  • Reply 12 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

I actually think this could be massive for Sony and for Android. Portable gaming is huge. The iPhone/iPod touch are good, but touch screens are not suitable for many genres of games. You really need buttons.

I'm with you 100%. I think this is the first thing I've seen an Android Device do that differentiates it 100% from the iPhone, rather than just copying what it does and adding some bullet point feature here or there that only the nerds care about. This is a whole new, unique functionality.

4G? Bigger screen? Flash? Better processor and camera specs? A lot of people look at that stuff and say who cares. Its still basically a lot like the Apple model of combining iPod with phone and adding web browsing and apps, only doing a poorer job of it. But when you add in basically a whole new device, like a Playstation or PSP, that's a game changer. Apple should have added game pad API a long time ago, but its not too late just yet.
  • Reply 13 of 66
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

1GB internal storage? I dont get it

Most phones like these have internal storage as well as SD card support. If SE is betting that 1GB is enough for just your phone apps (not games) then i think its a fairly safe bet to make.

I doubt this is something Sony Ericsson could have made a year or two ago, as the mobile processors for phones werent great, the Snapdragon was around though, but this one is using the one with Adreno 205 apparently. All the while SE was testing the waters this time last year with the PSP-Go digital only distribution...didnt work well, but on a cell phone it could be a different story.

Anyways i'm very excited about this, if it has the full Playstation and PSP catalog and has the same sync capabilities as a PSP to PS3 i just might be sold already, just waiting to see if the Nexus S does indeed have a dual core or not.

This device could be a smash hit for SE, considering the value. For a subsidized price of 199 you'd have a top tier smartphone that does web, apps, music AND a gaming device with some of the best games on the market from the best developers.

If SE could pull numbers like Samsung is with the Galaxy S, i'd say that would be a marvelous boost to the PSP platform and SE's bottom line.
  • Reply 14 of 66
    Hmm... Interesting. As a (former) PSP fan, I think they can sell it if they can port some well-made titles to the platform. Relying on physical D-pad and buttons seems so 2000 and makes the thing kinda bulky. As far as I can tell, it's probably a new platform, with no ties to the original PSP...they must be desperate.
  • Reply 15 of 66
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Sales of the PSP Go were not "disappointing" - they have been a disaster. the Go is a total flop. the old PSP2 outsells it! because it's cheap and the old games work - and you can still find them cheap now too.

for Sony to switch to Android is a desperate "hail Mary." Nintendo at least is trying to salvage its DSI franchise with new technology - 3D. probably won't work either. but being one more Android "me too" commodity product is certain death for Sony's PSP franchise. "the Zeus could pose a serious threat to Apple's dominant iPhone/iTunes combo"? wow, what you smokin'? no one cares about Sony anymore, dude.

the PSP is going the way of the Walkman.
  • Reply 16 of 66
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Does anyone know how they implemented the PSP side into the phone? Does this mean that PSP now runs in Dalvik VM or does this mean that PSP OS is launched when you press the button (I know it's not the latter, but still)?
  • Reply 17 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

Sales of the PSP Go were not "disappointing" - they have been a disaster. the Go is a total flop. the old PSP2 outsells it! because it's cheap and the old games work - and you can still find them cheap now too.

for Sony to switch to Android is a desperate "hail Mary." Nintendo at least is trying to salvage its DSI franchise with new technology - 3D. probably won't work either. but being one more Android "me too" commodity product is certain death for Sony's PSP franchise. "the Zeus could pose a serious threat to Apple's dominant iPhone/iTunes combo"? wow, what you smokin'? no one cares about Sony anymore, dude.

the PSP is going the way of the Walkman.

Umm... Last I read, PSP sales in hardware and games are still going strong. iOS and Android are only just recently capable of pushing PSP-level graphics. Because of this, it'll be a while before the game producers for portable gaming systems (PSP, DS) shift over in force to smartphones.
  • Reply 18 of 66
    It's obvious from those videos that when it comes to Sony, Apple has absolutely nothing to worry about.
  • Reply 19 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Does anyone know how they implemented the PSP side into the phone? Does this mean that PSP now runs in Dalvik VM or does this mean that PSP OS is launched when you press the button (I know it's not the latter, but still)?

Goodbye battery life.
  • Reply 20 of 66
    I wonder if Sony will come out with a "PSP2" product, and if it will be android based.

They should have this phone version, then an almost identical one that is essentially an Android tablet.

Obviously this prototype has space for 2 analog sticks, but they aren't installed (in the middle, the two holes).

If this thing is real, and there's a wifi-only version, it could finally be the perfect Playstation handheld.