Mobiles, iPod touch killing off Nintendo DS, Sony PSP

Comments

• Reply 41 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I would imagine that as the iPhone gets on more carriers here, and in the rest of the world, it will eat into the Touch sales more. A lot of people buy the Touch because they can't get an iPhone on their carrier. Once that's no longer the case....

Some people don't want to pay for a smartphone data plan.

I know several people who use the iPod touch as a "smartphone" sans the phone.

There's also another demographic. My 6 & 8 year olds each have an iPod touch.

No DS or PSP. And no reason for a phone yet. Especially a current smartphone plan.
  • Reply 42 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

He's usually right. Re-read his articles, and maybe you'll get it.

So far he is wrong about Win7 (changed the goal post on later articles) and on Kinect.

The jury is out on the CDMA iphone and the Win7 phone.

Usually right, but has yet to admit about Kinect.

I want the Win7 phone to be a success as much as Daniel does; we are both sick of the Android vs. iOS arguments.
  • Reply 43 of 92
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

So far he is wrong about Win7 (changed the goal post on later articles) and on Kinect.

The jury is out on the CDMA iphone and the Win7 phone.

Usually right, but has yet to admit about Kinect.

I want the Win7 phone to be a success as much as Daniel does; we are both sick of the Android vs. iOS arguments.

Fair enough, but the article at hand is a mixture of statements of fact and reporting on other analysis. Surely Daniel's field of wrongness doesn't extend to rendering facts and other people's analysis nonsensical?

I mean, predicting the success or failure of new products is one thing; giving some context to what is indisputably happening in the handheld gaming market is another.
  • Reply 44 of 92
    archosarchos Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

The point he was making is that all of these reports are highly flexible, and often wrong. So, Daniel predicted that the Kinect was going to be a complete and utter flop, based on his research. Turns out it sold exceptionally well.

I did a Google search of RoughlyDrafted.com and couldn't find any mention of Kinect. I did see a half dozen references of Project Natal, the code name of Kinect. Nowhere did Daniel "predict" that this would be a "complete and utter flop based on his research." Are you intentionally lying, or does it come natural?

In one article, he describes MS' Xbox division as "a home entertainment business that has rarely made any money despite billions in investment. Its brightest star is an imitative effort to copy the interactive controller that Nintendo debuted for the Wii back in 2006. When you hear vaporware incantations of ?Project Natal,? it means you?ve stumbled into a seance of the faithful trying to reanimate Microsoft?s relevance as the god of imitations."

So rather than calling Kinect a "flop," he called it Microsoft's' "brightest star," albeit an imitative effort to copy the Wii controller.

Also, a year ago, he said of pundits: "It also gets tedious to try to string along a pretense of excitement about such duds as Surface and the vaporware dreams of a year or two out: Project Natal, Windows 7 SP1, and Windows ?we?re getting serious now? Mobile 7, while still maintaining a straight face."

Calling Natal "vaporware of a year or two out" was certainly accurate to do a year ago.

Shortly before that, he wrote "Microsoft is also well known for advertising bullshit it can?t deliver. Bill Gates talked up OS/2, floated a vision of Cairo that never materialized, falsely proclaimed himself the Moses of tablet computing, and blew so much vaporware at competitors (Bob, ActiveMovie, DirectMovie, Surround Video, Chromeffects, WinFS, SPOT, Mira, PlaysForSure, Advanced Streaming Format, Soapbox, Longhorn, Surface, Natal, Courier) that it wouldn?t exactly be a surprise if the company decided that the best way to compete with bad news was to generate some distracting good news that just never seemed to materialize after people?s attention spans moved on."

Project Natal was certainly "vaporware aimed at competitors," even it if eventually materialized in what must be a nearly profitless product more than a year later. The company has managed to sell it to a tiny fraction of the Xbox 360 installed base (2 million of about 45 million Xbox 360s).

But since Daniel never referred to Kinect as being a "complete and utter flop," you should certainly stop repeating the lie that he once did.
  • Reply 45 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archos View Post

When you hear vaporware incantations of “Project Natal,”...

But since Daniel never referred to Kinect as being a "complete and utter flop," you should certainly stop repeating the lie that he once did.

Vaporware: Def per m-w ": a computer-related product that has been widely advertised but has not and may never become available"

In other words, Daniel said it would never come out. That's like saying it would flop before it was ever sold.

You need to read more articles. I was convinced as well because as he reasoned, the table computer was vaporware (you can find it at like the microsoft store but come on, I agree on that), courier is vaporware (obviously correct), and that the Natal was just more Microsoft tech that would never work or see the light of day.

In this case, he was wrong.
  • Reply 46 of 92
    I don't t think the "research" takes into account the demographics that each device targets. Did anyone consider that the reason the DS has slowed has more to do with the market being saturated AND the DS 3D coming out next year? In regards to Sony, while the iOS devices are neat and can do many things, they don't do gaming as well as a Sony (or Nintendo) device. Sony should have already gotten their PSP2 out, but (as Sony often does) they are milking the market for as much as they can. Just because their is a correlation doesn't mean their is a causation.
  • Reply 47 of 92
    If IPHONE & mobiles are killing off Nintendo & Sony PSP. then what's going to happen when Apple goes full blast with their Gamimg center??
  • Reply 48 of 92
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Vaporware: Def per m-w ": a computer-related product that has been widely advertised but has not and may never become available"

In other words, Daniel said it would never come out. That's like saying it would flop before it was ever sold.

You need to read more articles. I was convinced as well because as he reasoned, the table computer was vaporware (you can find it at like the microsoft store but come on, I agree on that), courier is vaporware (obviously correct), and that the Natal was just more Microsoft tech that would never work or see the light of day.

In this case, he was wrong.

Gee, you actually bolded the whole "may" part, then immediately render that as "never"?

It's in the nature of vaporware that the the manufacturer might throw a change up and actually release a product at some point. Given that, the term can never be applied with complete authority, since technically there's always the possibility that something will emerge at some point.

With its track record of flashy tech demos that never see the light of day and the prolonged gestation period of Natal I don't think it's entirely outrageous to have referred to it as vapor. It subsequently has proven to be the real deal, but then so could Courier.
  • Reply 49 of 92
    This is where I think the Playstation phone fits in. Provides the advantages of physical buttons for games that benefit from them, but doesn't require you to carry two separate devices.
  • Reply 50 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Gee, you actually bolded the whole "may" part, then immediately render that as "never"?

It's in the nature of vaporware that the the manufacturer might throw a change up and actually release a product at some point. Given that, the term can never be applied with complete authority, since technically there's always the possibility that something will emerge at some point.

With its track record of flashy tech demos that never see the light of day and the prolonged gestation period of Natal I don't think it's entirely outrageous to have referred to it as vapor. It subsequently has proven to be the real deal, but then so could Courier.

That's because to Daniel, vaporware means "never" see the light of retail day. It's his writing style - he, in a mild satire/negative/cynical sorta way, trashes others. Wait, I know the term now, polarizing, as if btw apple and the rest of the world is all black and white, when it rarely is.
  • Reply 51 of 92
    Quote:

Why is it trash? Facts are facts.

Fact: "Jon Carmack" spells his first name "John" not "Jon"
  • Reply 52 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

They wouldn't be giving it away -- they'd be selling the games (likely lower price, higher volume, and greater net profit).

Here's the deal:

-- You can buy an iPod Touch or a hand-me-down iPhone for the same price as a dedicated mobile game player

-- There are thousands of games to choose from

-- You can buy 10-30 good games for the same price as a single mobile player game

-- You can put these on 5 devices concurrently

Each year, as I replaced an iPhone, I offered a grandkid either a (then popular) mobile game player and 3 games ($100); or the old iPhone and 30 games (<$60).

Each of my 3 grandkids opted for the iPhone -- they have hundreds of games and thousands of choices.

Hey Dick...can I be a grand kid? I promise I do not act a day over 12.
  • Reply 53 of 92
    The Japanese market has had mobile gaming for quite a while. Also their phones do pretty much everything. However the DS and the Advance before it have had strong sales. Part of the reasons are that a dedicated game pad layout is necessary for certain game types.

In fact I tried playing tetris on an iPhone, didn't work out so well. Myst on the other hand and that gyroscope racing game do manage to shine on an iPhone.

But the 3DS will sell, I think the current numbers are due to market saturation and the economy. I don't think given that buttons + screen it would be too small... the iPhone being anything but a phone that happens to have games.

The iPad however I can see being gamer friendly, but also possibly a little-bit overkill for long term gaming.

People seem to think that everyone will do everything with one cellphone, I still have an iPod for music, and a DS and a PSP. You really think if I'm going on a long trip I'm gonna spend 8 hrs using a phone instead of a PSP to watch movies?

The iPad/iPhone are in a different market than the DS and PSP.

Now what sony really needs to do is allow easy syncing between the PSP and PS3, its very convient to play a PS1 title (You can get them on PSN) on the PS3 and copy it to the PSP and play it on the go, and then copy back to PS3.
  • Reply 54 of 92
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

Why is it trash? Facts are facts.

Well the section where Daniel is trying to allude that Apple was behind Sega dropping the hardware business is trash, especially since Sega made the announcement six years before the iPhone/iPod Touch came out.
  • Reply 55 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Here's the deal:

-- You can buy an iPod Touch or a hand-me-down iPhone for the same price as a dedicated mobile game player

No, they are a different price, especially since you can change the storage on an iPod touch.

PSP (expandable storage) - NZ$300

iPod Touch 64GB (non expandable storage) - NZ$663

iPod Touch 32GB (non expandable storage) - NZ$500

iPod Touch 8GB (non expandable storage) - NZ$387
  • Reply 56 of 92
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,586member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Fact: "Jon Carmack" spells his first name "John" not "Jon"

Ok, as if that actually changes things.
  • Reply 57 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Well the section where Daniel is trying to allude that Apple was behind Sega dropping the hardware business is trash, especially since Sega made the announcement six years before the iPhone/iPod Touch came out.

I didn't get that he was saying that.
  • Reply 58 of 92
    Quote:

I didn't get that he was saying that.

He said

Quote:

Sega gave up on building hardware and began creating games for existing platforms, including some of the first games for Apple's iOS.

He says they began creating games for existing platfores, including some of the first games for Apple's iOS.

It wasn't including iOS, there were no iOS devices around when Sega "gave up" on the hardware
  • Reply 59 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

He said

He says they began creating games for existing platfores, including some of the first games for Apple's iOS.

It wasn't including iOS, there were no iOS devices around when Sega "gave up" on the hardware

So? I remember that very well. Sega's platform failed, and they began doing games for others. A major platform for them today is iOS. So what did he say that was wrong? You are the one saying that he said something he didn't say. He never said or alluded to the idea that Apple was somehow behind Sega's demise as a platform, or anything like that. You said that. What he did say is correct.

So maybe, he should have added one more word to make you happy, that word would be "later". I think we all know what he means.
  • Reply 60 of 92
    Quote:

So? I remember that very well. Sega's platform failed, and they began doing games for others. A major platform for them today is iOS. So what did he say that was wrong? You are the one saying that he said something he didn't say. He never said or alluded to the idea that Apple was somehow behind Sega's demise as a platform, or anything like that. You said that. What he did say is correct.

He did allude that, you are just ignoring that. If that is what you want to do fine, I don't really care.

And iOS isn't a major platform for Sega, it is one of the platforms for Sega. And he didn't say anything about the size the iOS market for Sega in the article, so I think it may be you that is claiming he said stuff he didn't.

Quote:

So maybe, he should have added one more word to make you happy, that word would be "later". I think we all know what he means.

No, I can only interupt what he wrote, I don't, and can't assume he meant something else, if he did, he would have written that.