Mobiles, iPod touch killing off Nintendo DS, Sony PSP

Comments

• Reply 61 of 92
    irontedironted Posts: 129member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

So far he is wrong about Win7 (changed the goal post on later articles) and on Kinect.

The jury is out on the CDMA iphone and the Win7 phone.

Usually right, but has yet to admit about Kinect.

I want the Win7 phone to be a success as much as Daniel does; we are both sick of the Android vs. iOS arguments.

You sound like a Microsoft fanboy. Are you sure you're not a troll? By the way, are you still a virgin?

Why would anyone in his right mind want BGM(Bill Gates' Monster) to be successful?
  • Reply 62 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

If the article is correct and people prefer to use their mobile phones for games over any other device, does that mean that the iPhone will eventually kill off the iPod Touch?

I don't want my young son to have a phone, but he sure loves his iPod touch. The youth market for the iPod touches is huge as many parents don't want their kids to have full fledged smart phones.
  • Reply 63 of 92
    My nephew (12 years old) has owned 3 DS's and got a PSP last year for Christmas. This year he's dying to have an iPod Touch because he loves me and my wife's iPhones. What's funny is that these DS's and PSP are so underpowered compared to the newest generations of iDevices even though they're much larger, bulkier. They also look like childs toys.
  • Reply 64 of 92
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The top titles for Nintendo's DS are primarily first party games created by Nintendo. If the market for standalone handheld game hardware collapses at the foot of smartphones and the iPod touch, Nintendo may find itself in the position of Sega after the failure of the Dreamcast console.

I have been expecting this for a while now. It would be a shame to see a giant like nintendo fall but the last year or two has seen them rely entirely on riding a wave of old school gamer nostalgia, with most of the innovation originating from a single man: shigeru miyamoto.

The virtual console is a great concept it's just poorly executed with a horrible user interface. I'll trudge through it to get to the gold but I don't know that your average gamer will.
  • Reply 65 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Drummertist View Post

My nephew (12 years old) has owned 3 DS's and got a PSP last year for Christmas. This year he's dying to have an iPod Touch because he loves me and my wife's iPhones. What's funny is that these DS's and PSP are so underpowered compared to the newest generations of iDevices even though they're much larger, bulkier. They also look like childs toys.

Yeah, it's weird how devices 5 and 6 years old are outdated compared to modern technology, huh?

As for "bulkier"--that's not really a negative considering, the DS at least, is several times more durable than an iPhone. It's designed with the expectation of it being dropped.
  • Reply 66 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IronTed View Post

You sound like a Microsoft fanboy. Are you sure you're not a troll? By the way, are you still a virgin?

Why would anyone in his right mind want BGM(Bill Gates' Monster) to be successful?

Wow, calling someone a fanboy and a virgin at 5am in the morning...you need to look in the mirror and you will find your troll staring right back at you.
  • Reply 67 of 92
    irontedironted Posts: 129member
    Quote:

Wow, calling someone a fanboy and a virgin at 5am in the morning...you need to look in the mirror and you will find your troll staring right back at you.

Just as Steve Jobs has extreme distaste for any IBM type and ask whether he is virgin, I also have extreme distaste for any Microsoft type. I despise Bill Gates and the fact he betrayed Apple. Just like how Eric Schmidt, Sergey Brin, Larry Page betrayed Jobs' mentorship by giving him Android in return. So any of you Microsoft fanboys should run as fast as you could before I catch you.
  • Reply 68 of 92
    Quote:

Just as Steve Jobs has extreme distaste for any IBM type and ask whether he is virgin, I also have extreme distaste for any Microsoft type. I despise Bill Gates and the fact he betrayed Apple. Just like how Eric Schmidt, Sergey Brin, Larry Page betrayed Jobs' mentorship by giving him Android in return. So any of you Microsoft fanboys should run as fast as you could before I catch you.

Ok Artie MacStrawman.
  • Reply 69 of 92
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by redbarchetta View Post

Yeah, it's weird how devices 5 and 6 years old are outdated compared to modern technology, huh?

As for "bulkier"--that's not really a negative considering, the DS at least, is several times more durable than an iPhone. It's designed with the expectation of it being dropped.

Maybe that's part of the problem, though-- the refresh rate of moblie gaming hardware is glacial compared to that of cell phones.

Even if the next Nintendo or PSP jump ahead, are they going to be updated once or twice a year? Or will it just a brief respite followed by inevitable eclipse?

These devices had never had to compete in a world full of extremely capable smartphones or tablets which advance at a rapid pace. The old console milk it for all its worth strategy can't work anymore. Can Nintendo or Sony keep up?
  • Reply 70 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Maybe that's part of the problem, though-- the refresh rate of moblie gaming hardware is glacial compared to that of cell phones.

Even if the next Nintendo or PSP jump ahead, are they going to be updated once or twice a year? Or will it just a brief respite followed by inevitable eclipse?

These devices had never had to compete in a world full of extremely capable smartphones or tablets which advance at a rapid pace. The old console milk it for all its worth strategy can't work anymore. Can Nintendo or Sony keep up?

They have updated it, just not so much the hardware. I can't look it up right now to see the major differences, but as with all consoles, it has to do with making sure all games work well and flawlessly, and in this regard, comparatively speaking, the iOS platform is severely fragmented.
  • Reply 71 of 92
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

They have updated it, just not so much the hardware. I can't look it up right now to see the major differences, but as with all consoles, it has to do with making sure all games work well and flawlessly, and in this regard, comparatively speaking, the iOS platform is severely fragmented.

Yeah, that must be why it's so hard to sell an app into that fragmented iOS market. Better to update your hardware every five years to ensure continuity.

Look, that worked when there wasn't any competition (or rather all of the competition was doing the same thing). But it doesn't work anymore. Anyone trying to cling to that model is screwed, if they aren't screwed already.
  • Reply 72 of 92
    Quote:

Yeah, that must be why it's so hard to sell an app into that fragmented iOS market. Better to update your hardware every five years to ensure continuity.

Look, that worked when there wasn't any competition (or rather all of the competition was doing the same thing). But it doesn't work anymore. Anyone trying to cling to that model is screwed, if they aren't screwed already.

Different resolutions, different CPUs with different ARM versions, different GPUs included and different CPU clock speeds don't make for a consistent gaming experience.

Why would I want to upgrade an ipod touch from the original to the 3GS equiv to the newest version each year just to play updated games? That's retarded.

Well, to each his own. I find playing with a touchscreen and moving via a gyro to be most imprecise, but that's just me.

On another note, I also don't remember Pocket PCs, Palm devices and the like killing the gaming market that was back then either. Then again, they didn't sell as well as apple stuff does.
  • Reply 73 of 92
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,586member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

He did allude that, you are just ignoring that. If that is what you want to do fine, I don't really care.

He didn't allude to it at all. He just stated the facts, which are correct. And you DO care, or you wouldn't have bothered to post several posts on this to me.

Quote:

And iOS isn't a major platform for Sega, it is one of the platforms for Sega. And he didn't say anything about the size the iOS market for Sega in the article, so I think it may be you that is claiming he said stuff he didn't.

It's large enough.

Quote:

No, I can only interupt what he wrote, I don't, and can't assume he meant something else, if he did, he would have written that.

Yes, that's it. It's your interpretation.
  • Reply 74 of 92
    Quote:

Ok, enough now!
  • Reply 75 of 92
    Quote:

Not quite the same thing. With consoles and mobile gaming devices, the software is very expensive. My daughter has bought games that cost $79! Nuts! And you rarely get updates. So to have a new console every 5, or now maybe at least 6 years, is understandable. And mobile versions come out every 2 years or so. Given that those handhelds are not updatable, fragmentation is much worse there. iOS games are very cheap, and when Apple updates the hardware and OS once a year, we get FREE updates, and even free upgrades to the games. Since we don't have dozens of models floating around every year as we see with Android phones, fragmentation is very little, and not a real problem.
  • Reply 76 of 92
    I read this sight pretty religiously as I believe that Apple makes some pretty cool products even if their marketing tends towards hyperbole (iPad is magical?... like unicorns magical?)...

What's really striking is how nasty the comment tone gets on articles written by Daniel Erin Dilger. There is a lot of name-calling of MS-fanboys vs Apple fanboys. I've paid a lot of attention and it seems to happen worse in articles penned by Mr. Dilger compared to other authors.

My personal opinion why is because Mr. Dilger's articles are so Apple-slanted that they hardly seem credible. Consider this thread about mobile phones eating into dedicated gaming systems like the DS and PSP. Of course, they are... It's very obvious, but Mr. Dilger would have you believe this is solely due to Apple and iOS devices. If you read the actual report and others that predated this, the industry analysts have been predicting for years that mobile devices and gaming devices would converge. Apple is certainly driving some of this as is Android as will Windows Phone 7. But based on the article information it would seem that Apple is at the absolute center of the universe.

Sadly, Mr. Dilger reads like a shill for Apple and not a journalist trying to report facts. There are, however, other writers on this site including Josh Ong who do seem to strive to present facts vs. fanboy opinion. Hopefully, Apple Insider will choose to use more credible authors for their articles in the future.
  • Reply 77 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Owen Meaney View Post

I read this sight pretty religiously as I believe that Apple makes some pretty cool products even if their marketing tends towards hyperbole (iPad is magical?... like unicorns magical?)...

What's really striking is how nasty the comment tone gets on articles written by Daniel Erin Dilger. There is a lot of name-calling of MS-fanboys vs Apple fanboys. I've paid a lot of attention and it seems to happen worse in articles penned by Mr. Dilger compared to other authors.

My personal opinion why is because Mr. Dilger's articles are so Apple-slanted that they hardly seem credible. Consider this thread about mobile phones eating into dedicated gaming systems like the DS and PSP. Of course, they are... It's very obvious, but Mr. Dilger would have you believe this is solely due to Apple and iOS devices. If you read the actual report and others that predated this, the industry analysts have been predicting for years that mobile devices and gaming devices would converge. Apple is certainly driving some of this as is Android as will Windows Phone 7. But based on the article information it would seem that Apple is at the absolute center of the universe.

Sadly, Mr. Dilger reads like a shill for Apple and not a journalist trying to report facts. There are, however, other writers on this site including Josh Ong who do seem to strive to present facts vs. fanboy opinion. Hopefully, Apple Insider will choose to use more credible authors for their articles in the future.

The reason why this is said about Apple, and it's said in many places, mainly, is because it's leading that charge. You need to see the sales of apps and games on iOS vs that on other platforms such as Android. Well over a billion on iOS and just tens of millions on Android. Perhaps Android will catch at some point. But as of now, they're trailing drastically. There's no one else in sight.

This article, and it's hard to find anything relevant in this area, gives some idea of what we're talking about. Games sales and other apps sales seem to track closely.

http://blog.jwegener.com/2010/05/12/...nload-compare/

Here's one from Larva labs, mentioned in the last article.

http://larvalabs.com/blog/android/an...app-stores-1b/

This is an interesting take.

http://www.fonehome.co.uk/2010/10/26...ndroid-gaming/
  • Reply 78 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Ok, as if that actually changes things.

It does if your name is John Carmack
  • Reply 79 of 92
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

I believe it is also their advantage, it is nice that you can buy a PSP3000 today and still play the games from release date, and an original PSP will still play the new release games.
  • Reply 80 of 92
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

He didn't allude to it at all. He just stated the facts, which are correct. And you DO care, or you wouldn't have bothered to post several posts on this to me.

And yet again you won't let it go.

Quote:

It's large enough.

Excellent, do you have a copy of Segas financials by platform? Could you share them for all of us?