Apple's first retail store is pilgrimage site for fans

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    Xxxxxx
  • Reply 22 of 62
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JamesJpn View Post

I live in Seattle and you'd be surprised to see the throngs of people day after day, month after month, snapping photos outside the original Starbucks at the Pike Place Market. Every brand has their fans.

Apple is unusual in this respect. Most corporate executives would sell their daughters into slavery for the kind of brand loyalty that appears to come so easily to Apple. People who dislike or are ambivalent about Apple may find it anathema that someone could be so devoted and loyal to a publicly owned corporation in business to make money but no one can deny that Apple is different from other companies. So making jokes about Apple fans' loyalty really speaks more about the joker than the fans.
  • Reply 23 of 62
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Do they also position their Macs to face Cupertino when on their computers?
  • Reply 24 of 62
    It takes a special kind of nerd...
  • Reply 25 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That was just GREAT!
  • Reply 26 of 62
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Apple is unusual in this respect. Most corporate executives would sell their daughters into slavery for the kind of brand loyalty that appears to come so easily to Apple.

Ain't that the truth. Apple has worked long and hard at sticking to their philosophy, in spite of the usual "consensus of opinion" that they don't listen to what everyone wants and are therefore "doomed to fail" at their latest venture. It always amazes me that so many companies can criticize "before" their success and see no hypocrisy at all in copying them after their success. Perhaps if they developed their own "philosophy" instead of waving in the wind and having as a philosophy ..."just make money" .... they'd be better off.
  • Reply 27 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There's an app for that.
  • Reply 28 of 62
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Glendale Galleria is a dump.. The Apple Store looks really out of place in that mall.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

So much for the theory that Apple only goes to Class A shopping centers.

When the Apple store opened in Glendale, we couldn't believe that they would choose this most uncool of all L.A. neighborhoods (it's not a suburb -- more like a separate but adjoined city, like everywhere else in L.A.) But they were crazy like a fox to choose Glendale, because it was easier than almost anywhere else to get (i.e., drive) to, and the tone of the 25-year-old Galleria had slipped to about A- or B+, so there was always parking. Haven't been there in a while, but I'm sure the store stands in greater contrast to those around it these days. Glendale got a huge new retail development, Americana, just a few blocks away, where Apple would probably consider putting a store today if it weren't for Store #1. So the Galleria must be in obvious decline these days. It wasn't so bad when the store first opened.

All you cynics who sneer at the level of cultish behavior of Apple fans might consider the historical signifcance of what Apple has accomplished in retail, starting with this forsaken but courageous first outpost. I remember thinking they were maybe crazy to go into retail when they did, with the tech bubble busting, the forces of darkness in ascent and all.

I think I'll go back to it just for old times . . .
  • Reply 29 of 62
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ssquirrel View Post

well it is a giant cube

+1
  • Reply 30 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Apple is unusual in this respect. Most corporate executives would sell their daughters into slavery for the kind of brand loyalty that appears to come so easily to Apple. People who dislike or are ambivalent about Apple may find it anathema that someone could be so devoted and loyal to a publicly owned corporation in business to make money but no one can deny that Apple is different from other companies. So making jokes about Apple fans' loyalty really speaks more about the joker than the fans.

I was not making jokes. I was pointing out, as I clearly stated, that each brand has their fans. And you have now pointed out that each brand also has their own douche bags.
  • Reply 31 of 62
    I'm plenty sure that the store in question is actualy not the origional though it may have the listing of being #1.

I believe because I go to this mall often enough that the current store is actualy new.

Apple opened the origional store in this mall yes but some time later they got some space that was larger and closed the origional store opening a much larger store in the same mall.

So mecca would be a store by a diffrent name as it was rented to another vendor. HA HA HA.

Correct me if im wrong but I think thats what went down.
  • Reply 32 of 62
    Glendale is also right next to Burbank, with its heavy concentration of television / media companies who are always in need of Apple products.

The thing I always liked best about the Glendale Apple Store was the fact that the LEGO Store was right next door. Talk about convenience!
  • Reply 33 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by silverwess View Post

I'm plenty sure that the store in question is actualy not the origional though it may have the listing of being #1.

I believe because I go to this mall often enough that the current store is actualy new.

Apple opened the origional store in this mall yes but some time later they got some space that was larger and closed the origional store opening a much larger store in the same mall.

So mecca would be a store by a diffrent name as it was rented to another vendor. HA HA HA.

OK so i was sorta wrong.

this store is indeed the first but there was a second Apple store in the same mall while the origional Store was going through a Re-model. Well at least I was sorta right.
  • Reply 34 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JamesJpn View Post

I was not making jokes. I was pointing out, as I clearly stated, that each brand has their fans. And you have now pointed out that each brand also has their own douche bags.

Ouch. My guess though is that Krupp was referring to the other jokers in this thread, not you, who was merely pointing out the power of brand fandom, which I for one appreciated that you posted. But I think it's debatable whether Apple is more pilgrimage-worthy than Starbucks.

I will say that it would have been a much darker decade without the expansion of these two engines of cultural progress. Before I get flamed for being pro-Starbucks, note that there is a store about every hour on the 101 between Ventura and San Jose, and nary a Peet's that I know of. It used to be as late as the 90s you couldn't get a decent cup of coffee between L.A. and San Francisco.
  • Reply 35 of 62
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pocket3d View Post

Before I get flamed for being pro-Starbucks, note that there is a store about every hour on the 101 between Ventura and San Jose, and nary a Peet's that I know of. It used to be as late as the 90s you couldn't get a decent cup of coffee between L.A. and San Francisco.

That would imply that there are such things as decent cups of coffee, when coffee is icky Long since realized that many people don't agree w/me tho.
  • Reply 36 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by silverwess View Post

Hah, have to check that out. But anyway, it's the ecosystem around the store that's important.
  • Reply 37 of 62
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    If you want a real adventure go to the location of the first Gateway store. Seriously! They put those stores in areas that were less than ideal so you’re likely to get mugged, stabbed or worse... given a Gateway computer.
  • Reply 38 of 62
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Undo Redo View Post

I've never understood people who are into collectibles and such things.

I've never understood people who AREN'T into collectibles and such things!

(seriously, it's very deeply ingrained, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a genetic influence)
  • Reply 39 of 62
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pocket3d View Post

Before I get flamed for being pro-Starbucks, note that there is a store about every hour on the 101 between Ventura and San Jose, and nary a Peet's that I know of. It used to be as late as the 90s you couldn't get a decent cup of coffee between L.A. and San Francisco.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

That would imply that there are such things as decent cups of coffee, when coffee is icky Long since realized that many people don't agree w/me tho.

Thank goodness there are others around with good taste. Coffee is shit-gross tasting. For people who are truly being honest, the vast majority (I'd guess close to 90%) had to acquire the taste for coffee. That doesn't mean it tastes good, that means that it's a combination of social acceptance and eventually mild addiction. Kinda sad when you think about it.

Just thought I'd comment so you know you're not alone. And yes, we're definitely in the minority. Nothing wrong with that though!
  • Reply 40 of 62
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

Thank goodness there are others around with good taste. Coffee is shit-gross tasting. For people who are truly being honest, the vast majority (I'd guess close to 90%) had to acquire the taste for coffee. That doesn't mean it tastes good, that means that it's a combination of social acceptance and eventually mild addiction. Kinda sad when you think about it.

Just thought I'd comment so you know you're not alone. And yes, we're definitely in the minority. Nothing wrong with that though!

If you guys want to get back on topic: most drugs are bitter (as alkaloids) and so HAVE to be an acquired taste. Apple is the only addictive drug I know of that isn't contrary to good taste. Oh, and some kinds of collecting, as you say.