Apple's first retail store is pilgrimage site for fans

Comments

• Reply 41 of 62
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JamesJpn View Post

I was not making jokes. I was pointing out, as I clearly stated, that each brand has their fans. And you have now pointed out that each brand also has their own douche bags.

Your post happened to be the one I clicked to respond to. My comment was not directed at you. My apologies for not being more careful and making it a quick reply instead. As you can see, however, the snarkey, sarcastic jokes and rude comments continue to pile up, made by the usual suspects in this forum.
  • Reply 42 of 62
    enohpienohpi Posts: 103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Some visitors return home and brag online about purchasing gear at the Glendale branch, part of a vigorous game of one-upsmanship about the number and quality of the Apple stores they have visited," author Sarah McBride wrote.

Are any of those folks not virgins?
  • Reply 43 of 62
    That's seriously fucking sad. If you are one of the clowns going on "pilgrimages", get a life, quick.
  • Reply 44 of 62
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

Thank goodness there are others around with good taste. Coffee is shit-gross tasting. For people who are truly being honest, the vast majority (I'd guess close to 90%) had to acquire the taste for coffee. That doesn't mean it tastes good, that means that it's a combination of social acceptance and eventually mild addiction. Kinda sad when you think about it.

Just thought I'd comment so you know you're not alone. And yes, we're definitely in the minority. Nothing wrong with that though!

Isn't Apple's customer base typically the minority of the computer world anyway? Yeah, my wife LOVES coffee and I just see it as bad tasting and way too expensive. Just give me a pop.
  • Reply 45 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ratay1 View Post

had always heard that tyson's corner in mclean was the first store...guess it's technically store #2?

I really don't understand how a store (Tysons) that opened three hours earlier than another store (Glendale) could be considered the second store to open.
  • Reply 46 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimTh View Post

I really don't understand how a store (Tysons) that opened three hours earlier than another store (Glendale) could be considered the second store to open.

I think unlike the East Coast bias you see in news and sports reporting, the tech industry suffers from a West Coast bias. I'm still surprised, though, that Apple's first West Coast store wasn't in the Bay Area.

I've only been to the Tyson's store twice -- I live in DC, but don't have a car, so Tyson's Corner is quite an excursion for me. My first time there was to pick up my free copy of OS X 10.1. I had just moved to the city and was living waaay out in the Maryland burbs, so on a weekend it took me practically all day to get there and back. Fun times. Thank God they eventually opened the Pentagon City store.
  • Reply 47 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

but no one can deny that Apple is different from other companies. So making jokes about Apple fans' loyalty really speaks more about the joker than the fans.

Those Andorid fanboys are WAY worse!
  • Reply 48 of 62
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I'm taking the family there for Christmas. Grandma is in bad shape, and the doctors say she should be moved, but dangit, she needs to see this before she dies, even if she begs and pleads with me not to bring her.

I hear if you drink the bottled water there it can make the lame walk cure leprosy and even dandruff.

Seriously I love all things Apple but I draw the line at pilgrimages to anywhere but Steve's home.
  • Reply 49 of 62
    Quote:

Coffee is shit-gross tasting.

Most coffee is badly sourced, badly roasted, stale and prepared improperly.

Good coffee is delicious.

Most coffee is like badly made jug wine that has been stored in the furnace room for too long. Good coffee is like fine vintage wine. But instead of being extremely expensive, it is cheap enough to drink anytime.

It is a pleasure, and it is as cheap and easy as you want, or as complex and interesting as your interest in geography, culture, botany, chemistry and microclimates will allow.
  • Reply 50 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

So much for the theory that Apple only goes to Class A shopping centers.

Didn't know it was store #1, but as for the idea that Glendale Gallery is ghetto... time to stop believing the bullsh@t bumper stickers on your Prius and pull your head of that shallow strip of real estate known as the Hollywood/West Hollywood/Beverly Hills/Santa Monica corridor. You want ghetto? Try walking Melrose Ave. You might have stars in your eyes, but I've got a newly rebuilt G5 that was 6 yearrs outta warranty, a new iPhone, 2 macbook pros with new logic boards, and seen several acquaintances' repaired devices thanks to Glendale.

It's actually the only mall worth shopping at in the area. If the store you need is in that mall, go there instead of anywhere else. Its also a less congested freeway corridor along the 134 than the 101/10/405 nonsense. However it's not the preferred mall for 'hanging out' at, which is always an impediment to speedy commerce... especially at this time of year.

Its also got the most capable Genius Bar staff in the area. In LA, most of the other stores are in hipster malls, with feeble hipsters working because they are close to the trendier areas. They tend to be overrun with teens & trophy wives who sat on their iPhones.

I've taken machines in for service and gotten the run-around (sometimes on 2nd & 3rd visits) at the Sherman Oaks, Grove, Santa Monica & Beverley Center Locations. Started going to Glendale exclusively because they would take the same machine with no hassle.
  • Reply 51 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

If not your own, there are a lot of wives and mothers that could explain it to you.

So true
  • Reply 52 of 62
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    i don't do pilgrimages and such, but there are some nice apple stores.

i was recently in covent garden in london when someone asked me if i knew where the new apple store. (i didn't even know there was a new store.) i whipped out my iphone and looked it up ... it was "right over there" (about 250 feet). so i followed the folks in to have a look.

it's an apple store: apple employees, apple products, and apple customers. but the space is über-nice. it's an old building and the restoration included restoring all the original brick and iron work, including removing a lot of the bricks, hand washing them, and putting them back. very nice space. all 20,000 sq feet of it.

but i doubt i'd make a trip to see just it. i mean, now we have the intertubes for stuff like that.
  • Reply 53 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Well it IS a giant cube

It should have been a Monolith with Also Sprach Zarathustra playing every half hour.
  • Reply 54 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Your post happened to be the one I clicked to respond to. My comment was not directed at you. My apologies for not being more careful and making it a quick reply instead. As you can see, however, the snarkey, sarcastic jokes and rude comments continue to pile up, made by the usual suspects in this forum.

I wouldn't have read your second posting (and rather unnecessary apology) here if I hadn't felt like a jackass and come back to delete my douche bag comment to you. Enjoy your weekend.
  • Reply 55 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

When the Apple store opened in Glendale, we couldn't believe that they would choose this most uncool of all L.A. neighborhoods (it's not a suburb -- more like a separate but adjoined city, like everywhere else in L.A.) But they were crazy like a fox to choose Glendale, because it was easier than almost anywhere else to get (i.e., drive) to, and the tone of the 25-year-old Galleria had slipped to about A- or B+, so there was always parking. Haven't been there in a while, but I'm sure the store stands in greater contrast to those around it these days. Glendale got a huge new retail development, Americana, just a few blocks away, where Apple would probably consider putting a store today if it weren't for Store #1. So the Galleria must be in obvious decline these days. It wasn't so bad when the store first opened.

All you cynics who sneer at the level of cultish behavior of Apple fans might consider the historical signifcance of what Apple has accomplished in retail, starting with this forsaken but courageous first outpost. I remember thinking they were maybe crazy to go into retail when they did, with the tech bubble busting, the forces of darkness in ascent and all.

I think I'll go back to it just for old times . . .

I live only 2 miles from the Galleria and watched it as a kid being built in the mid-70's. It's been in decline for sometime but the opening of the Americana across the street has spurred more foot traffic to it. They were also forced to spiffy up the place because of their rival. Now the developers of The Americana have put a bid to buy the Galleria. If they're successful, it can become just as posh as the Americana's cousin The Grove. Then the Apple Store might actually feel right at home. BTW, The Apple Store just underwent a face-lift this past Spring. The original exterior walls used to be black.
  • Reply 56 of 62
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SOLSTICE1221 View Post

I live only 2 miles from the Galleria and watched it as a kid being built in the mid-70's. It's been in decline for sometime but the opening of the Americana across the street has spurred more foot traffic to it. They were also forced to spiffy up the place because of their rival. Now the developers of The Americana have put a bid to buy the Galleria. If they're successful, it can become just as posh as the Americana's cousin The Grove. Then the Apple Store might actually feel right at home. BTW, The Apple Store just underwent a face-lift this past Spring. The original exterior walls used to be black.

Good news, thanks for the report. Now I *will* go back to check it out. OxygenHose also gives us a good reason to go to this store, in his hilarious rundown of the West Side alternatives.

So it's not a pilgrimage, you sneering cynics. It's Retail Research, of the loftiest sort. I'm only half kidding. Apple's retail story is as big as their software, hardware, design, and online marketing story, and you know it. Altogether it is the cultural/biz story of the century. Y'all would do well to drop the whole fanboy meme and recover your sense of marvel that any company or CEO could pull this off it these dreariest of times -- I mean since the curtain came down in 1968 with the election of you-know-who, and then you know who else, etc., etc.

I think it is a good sign culturally that people go to see that stupid little first store, because it means they are responding to maybe the only really positive Big Thing that America has produced in the last 50 years. Okay, maybe Boeing, but what else?

End of rant.
  • Reply 57 of 62
    Quote:

Thank goodness there are others around with good taste. Coffee is shit-gross tasting. For people who are truly being honest, the vast majority (I'd guess close to 90%) had to acquire the taste for coffee. That doesn't mean it tastes good, that means that it's a combination of social acceptance and eventually mild addiction. Kinda sad when you think about it.

Just thought I'd comment so you know you're not alone. And yes, we're definitely in the minority. Nothing wrong with that though!

Yep, count me in too. I can't stand coffee. The smell, the taste, yeech.

I never understood the mass adoption of it and I've never been afraid to do my own thing.

Getting back on topic, next time I'm in Australia I will check out the newer Apple stores over there. We only have third party retailers here :-(
  • Reply 58 of 62
    I have made many purchased there but I had no idea

It was the first store. Fortunately a closer

Store opened and I go there.

There was a guy who had a website once

Where he was going to report on every

Denny's restaurant in America. Another

Guy tried to visit every Stsrbucks.

Apple stores seem muchore doable.
  • Reply 59 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

So much for the theory that Apple only goes to Class A shopping centers.

Well at least here in LA, the centers were pretty upscale when the stores were built, but aside from The Grove, the centers went to crap.

As for Glendale, I hate going there. About a year ago they got a new manger and she is a real beeyotch. And acts like that is supercool and she is real hip. I was shocked to hear her call a male staff member 'Boo' without any regard for the fact that that term can be takeN to mean someone you are having sex with. And the rest of the managers are all snots, along with much of their staff.

I will order something online and wait the extra days rather than go to that store
  • Reply 60 of 62
    I live in between the Glendale and Pasadena Apple stores. The Glendale Galleria is no longer one of the premier malls in SoCal like the Grove or Fashion Island, but it's certainly an upscale mall. For example, there's a Nordstrom right around the corner from the Apple store, hardly ghetto. The original article mentions a "run-of-the mill" escalator -- seriously? Other than the curved escalators at the Nordstrom in downtown SF, that sounds like pretty much *every* escalator I've ever seen. That mall has a lot of traffic, too, year round. In fact at Christmas parking is a real problem.

The Americana, right next door (not a few blocks, but adjoining), is quite a showplace but except for Barnes & Noble and the theatres there is no reason to go there. The stores are almost always empty, and the restaurants are cool looking but overpriced and with generally humdrum food. There are lots of people promenading around the central park and fountain, though.

As for the Apple Store, it is definitely in the original spot but had a makeover a couple of years ago. For about six months they had a tiny "pocket sized" store, which kind of sucked, but they now have a regular updated store. I actually liked the old format better -- they had a nice bathroom if you knew which unlabeled door to open! Other than that it doesn't seem any better or worse than any other Apple store (I've been to 15 or so), but then again I've never visited a Genius at any Apple store.