22 months after announcement, Google Latitude app comes to Apple's iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    They'd better give iOS users their free Google Navigation app instead of this "social" crapware.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    I love this app, actually. My friends all have android phones, and on the weekends I can see who's where and decide where I want to go.

It really boggles the mind that this would take so long to get to iphone. Trust me, if you and your friends use it, you won't need to be calling them asking where they are at, and you can show up at the pool hall or bar they're at and surprise them, or they will even surprise you.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    This app is going to end some relationships, that's for sure. LOL

Wife has iPhone. Hubby has iPhone. Wife says she is going to run some errands. Hubby has been a little insecure about relationship because of gut feeling. Wifey is actually at boyfriend-on-the-sides's house having a little extracurricular fun. Hubby checks her on Latitude. Wonders why that errand happens to be at the location of a hotel in the next town over. Hubby makes a quick drive to identified hotel. Puts ear up to door of room that seems to house his wife...and he hears heavy breathing and moaning. Yea...this is going to be interesting. Stories should start surfacing in about a year when the media starts to see a patter between infidelity and the use of location tracking apps.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

No, but you let Google access your location. Seems to me that you should be thinking about limiting private information to people you trust BEFORE you turn over all your private information to Google so that they can sell it to the highest bidder.

It's hard to get away from it these days, unfortunately. Even when you call into like Pizza Hut, and they ask for your phone number, they bind that to your address, and sell your information.

Someone explained to me once that privacy laws are more of a state thing, not a federal thing, so there are loopholes.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    Thanks to Google, Dell can earn some money!

Latitude is a Dell's trademark.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    Already installed it on the GF's cell

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Let the new digital age of "STALKING" begin!

• Reply 27 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacFinder View Post

Thanks to Google, Dell can earn some money!

Latitude is a Dell's trademark.

Dell uses the mark for hardware, annd so I don't know if they have a strong claim to it as identifying their software to consumers.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by igxqrrl View Post

Latitude does not let random people know when you are not at home. Latitude lets select people that you presumably trust know approximately where you are. You can choose to publish a precise location or a city-level location.

I think it makes perfect sense to let my wife know exactly where I am. I obviously won't allow acquaintances whom I do not trust any access to my location.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

No, but you let Google access your location. Seems to me that you should be thinking about limiting private information to people you trust BEFORE you turn over all your private information to Google so that they can sell it to the highest bidder.

jragosta has it right.

People, don't be stupid. When you use these services, you ARE giving up some of your most personal data (where and when you are in real-time) to a whole bunch of people you don't know -- inside Google (or Foursquare or whoever). And there is little in the way of protection if (more like when) they decide to start milking the value out of that data. Actually, they already are, but I mean via sharing or selling certain portions of that data. By that time many of you will have passed along enough information so your trends are well known in addition to real-time data. With this kind of data Google has enough smarts and CPU to better know where you are likely to be next Thursday at 2pm than you do yourself! And you can never, ever, ever, ever take that data back.

In addition to these companies ability to analyze, milk profits from, and eventually SHARE your data in the future, they are perfect targets for the government (hopefully just the U.S.) to snag all that data as well. Personally, I believe our feds are the only organization that has any business at all with this kind of data, but I know many people who believe the government should not have this data, and yet they freely pass it along to Google and their ilk. Where do you think the agencies will get this data from?!?!

Stupid, stupid sheeple. All for a little coolness/convenience.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

Already installed it on the GF's cell

Hope you're joking, but if not, I can see this relationship is built on trust...
  • Reply 30 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

It's hard to get away from it these days, unfortunately. Even when you call into like Pizza Hut, and they ask for your phone number, they bind that to your address, and sell your information.

Hahahaha! You give your real phone # to pizza joints?? How quaint and naive.

Yes, you're right, most of them package up this info and sell to others, including marketing firms. You are under no obligation to give them that data.

Two pieces of advice, for those who care:

1) Do NOT give these clowns a real phone #. Most places never call it back to verify, it's only used as a unique identifier. Try it in advance of ordering something critical though, like a SuperBowl party, just to be sure.

2) Do NOT use your real name. Use something that you can identify with the pizza (or whatever product) company, so you can track if/when they've sold your personal data.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

Hahahaha! You give your real phone # to pizza joints?? How quaint and naive.

Yes, you're right, most of them package up this info and sell to others, including marketing firms. You are under no obligation to give them that data.

Two pieces of advice, for those who care:

1) Do NOT give these clowns a real phone #. Most places never call it back to verify, it's only used as a unique identifier. Try it in advance of ordering something critical though, like a SuperBowl party, just to be sure.

2) Do NOT use your real name. Use something that you can identify with the pizza (or whatever product) company, so you can track if/when they've sold your personal data.

"I got three passports, couple of visas

don't even know my real name

High on a hillside, trucks are loading

everything's ready to roll

I sleep in the daytime, I work in the nightime

I might not ever get home"

-David Byrne (Life During Wartime)
  • Reply 32 of 43
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I love this app, actually. My friends all have android phones, and on the weekends I can see who's where and decide where I want to go.

It really boggles the mind that this would take so long to get to iphone. Trust me, if you and your friends use it, you won't need to be calling them asking where they are at, and you can show up at the pool hall or bar they're at and surprise them, or they will even surprise you.

Where's the surprise, you know they are there, they know you are coming, like I said BORING.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    Quote:

jragosta has it right.

People, don't be stupid. When you use these services, you ARE giving up some of your most personal data (where and when you are in real-time) to a whole bunch of people you don't know -- inside Google (or Foursquare or whoever). And there is little in the way of protection if (more like when) they decide to start milking the value out of that data. Actually, they already are, but I mean via sharing or selling certain portions of that data. By that time many of you will have passed along enough information so your trends are well known in addition to real-time data. With this kind of data Google has enough smarts and CPU to better know where you are likely to be next Thursday at 2pm than you do yourself! And you can never, ever, ever, ever take that data back.

In addition to these companies ability to analyze, milk profits from, and eventually SHARE your data in the future, they are perfect targets for the government (hopefully just the U.S.) to snag all that data as well. Personally, I believe our feds are the only organization that has any business at all with this kind of data, but I know many people who believe the government should not have this data, and yet they freely pass it along to Google and their ilk. Where do you think the agencies will get this data from?!?!

Stupid, stupid sheeple. All for a little coolness/convenience.

If you were to google 'google latitude privacy policy', here's what you would see:

Quote:

Google stores only the most recent automatic update or location selection you manually entered on our servers. If you hide in Latitude, we don't store your location.

I am one of those who believe that the government has no business knowing where I am. It boggles my mind that someone would feel otherwise. On the other hand if I decide, of my own volition, that I am willing to trade a small piece of personal information in exchange for a useful service, that seems like a reasonable deal to me.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enohpI View Post

Dell uses the mark for hardware, annd so I don't know if they have a strong claim to it as identifying their software to consumers.

But it might "create user confusion" with people who have Dell Latitudes and use Google Latitude.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:

I am one of those who believe that the government has no business knowing where I am. It boggles my mind that someone would feel otherwise.

So you should ask yourself this: If you were working in a gov't agency and wanted to get your hands on real-time location data for millions of people, how would you do it? This is not a rhetorical question. Private companies are pulling together massive amounts of personal data right now because people are willingly handing it over without considering what will happen to it over time. That's just foolish. Some of the most public-facing data can be found here: http://www.google.com/transparencyreport/faq.html , but there's a lot going on that is not public, and while Google is a semi-good player right now, policies/management/laws change all the time. And if you think this particular location data is not being gathered and saved by anyone else, well, hahaha. I'll shut my mouth before I get in trouble.

Quote:

On the other hand if I decide, of my own volition, that I am willing to trade a small piece of personal information in exchange for a useful service, that seems like a reasonable deal to me.

Of course it's your call. Perhaps you don't have any care about who all knows your whereabouts in real-time (but it seems by your comment that you do), however, many people are totally naive and/or don't understand the significance and "opportunity" this type of data presents. Especially when the benefit is merely a little coolness or convenience. Many governments and organizations would have performed atrocities in the past to get this data, now they can just sniff it out and/or extract it by force whenever they feel the need. Oh, and don't forget, your location data gets married with your search profile (google), your web surfing profile (via adsense), and any other "service-related" data you provide, either explicitly or implicitly. These services are not free!

Do whatever you want, just don't be naive, and don't mislead others by pulling them along. All personal data you provide is ultimately up for grabs.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

"I got three passports, couple of visas

don't even know my real name

High on a hillside, trucks are loading

everything's ready to roll

I sleep in the daytime, I work in the nightime

I might not ever get home"

-David Byrne (Life During Wartime)

Massive, massive win!
  • Reply 37 of 43
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

Private companies are pulling together massive amounts of personal data right now because people are willingly handing it over without considering what will happen to it over time.

Isn't Apple one of these companies?

Quote:

Do whatever you want, just don't be naive, and don't mislead others by pulling them along. All personal data you provide is ultimately up for grabs.

What's really naive is believing that Apple is completely innocent of all the things we accuse other companies of doing with personal data.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:

At least with this app it is voluntary to let others get at your info, unlike what the NSA does with everything we do on the Internet. Narus STA 6400 is all I'm saying.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Why don't you just use Apple's own Find My iPhone app? It's native and kicks ass. My wife and I use it all the time. Sharing doesn't expire either.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Isn't Apple one of these companies? What's really naive is believing that Apple is completely innocent of all the things we accuse other companies of doing with personal data.

Of course they are! The difference in this case is that I can easily avoid Apple's location tracking by simply not owning an iPhone. I do not own one, and will not until I can, as a user block that type of data.

On the other hand, merely surfing the net normally gives google plenty of info unless you know a great deal about how to customize your computer and take extreme care about how you surf. Even then it's very difficult, plus other people pass personal info about you and/or your family to google (via gmail, etc).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

At least with this app it is voluntary to let others get at your info, unlike what the NSA does with everything we do on the Internet. Narus STA 6400 is all I'm saying.

Hey, you said it, I didn't! ;-)

Practically everything you do on the net can be monitored. Just like this post.

But as I mentioned above, I might not like being monitored at all, but at least the NSA and their ilk can make a case for why they should have access to that kind of data. And they are very careful with it, and very, very unlikely to ever sell or share that data for mere commercial gain. On the other hand, companies like Google, Facebook, and yes, Apple as well, are not regulated nor supervised, and yet they are in control of massive amounts of very personal data about millions of users. Far more information that most people understand.

Some of these companies are relatively "good guys" right now, like Apple. Google isn't too bad, but they are the scariest due to the incredible amount of data they control. Others, like Facebook are just pure evil. Their existence is predicated on tricking or forcing people to reveal more information about themselves than they intended. Or at the very least, goading everyone into revealing as much as possible about themselves and others.

But none of these companies will have the same management in a few years. What happens then? They OWN your data, and there's nothing you can do about it! Think of the worst thing that could happen with your most personal data, and it will probably happen in the next few years. My hope is merely that people get a clue about the situation and not make stupid comments like "no one cares about me, I'm not important", or "uh-huh-uh, nice tin hat", because they're very short sighted.