Verizon rumored to launch LTE 4G capable Apple iPhone after Christmas

Comments

• Reply 61 of 94
    Not being American, I have no interest at all in the age old rumour that Verizon will be getting the iPhone. However, it is interesting that a lot of networks - including o2 in the UK who launched the iPhone and had exclusivity for some time - are rushing to get their 4G networks ready for 2011.

I can't see Apple releasing any new iPhone outside their normal annual schedule, but I'm willing to bet the iPhone 5's hot feature for summer will be 4G - what better way for the carriers to advertise their shiny new 4G network than with a brand new iPhone?
  • Reply 62 of 94
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markbriton View Post

Not being American, I have no interest at all in the age old rumour that Verizon will be getting the iPhone. However, it is interesting that a lot of networks - including o2 in the UK who launched the iPhone and had exclusivity for some time - are rushing to get their 4G networks ready for 2011.

I can't see Apple releasing any new iPhone outside their normal annual schedule, but I'm willing to bet the iPhone 5's hot feature for summer will be 4G - what better way for the carriers to advertise their shiny new 4G network than with a brand new iPhone?

except that 4G is years away. all the "4G" being hyped now is just marketing hype and a later version of 3G tech
  • Reply 63 of 94
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

except that 4G is years away. all the "4G" being hyped now is just marketing hype and a later version of 3G tech

You?re referring to the ITU?s definition of ?4G?, which Verizon doesn?t have to adhere to. From their PoV it?s their ?4G? network since CDMA is their ?2G? and CDMA2000 is their ?4G?.
  • Reply 64 of 94
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I've bought options. I've done holds and puts, and all the rest of that.

Maybe you meant calls and puts. Also, if you only buy options and never sell them short, you are limiting the strategies you can pursue, which could partially explain your lack of success.

Quote:

I've found that over the long run, if you've done your homework, you can do better by just buying and selling.

Speak for yourself, kemosabe.

Quote:

I leave the rest to those who are interested in making micro profits on a regular basis, usually large firms who can get in and out in a millisecond, or who are using Forox systems. The rest is as much guessing as anything else. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. When do you buy the option for, and for how much? That can be much more difficult than just buying and holding - if you've got the right stock.

You should have stopped when someone might have still believed you know something about it.

Quote:

My last major buy in was in mid 2004. I bought some more when it dropped to $80, which made my wife frantic, as she was sure we would lose everything. But i've got enough stock that a ten point error could cost a lot. It's just better to hold if you've got the confidence. If you don't, then maybe it's a bad all around.

If you are seriously concerned about a short term 5% move in a stock you own, then I would have to question if your confidence is real.

Quote:

In the short term, the market is irrational. But in the long term, no.

Always end with a platitude.
  • Reply 65 of 94
    This is absurd.

Historically, Apple builds handsets that work on the prevailing network standards worldwide. That's why the original iPhone was a 2.5G GSM/EDGE handset. The world was still building out 3G UTMS/HSPA networks at the time.

There is only one big market that is actively deploying LTE: the USA. While many other countries/regions (Europe, Asia) have committed to LTE, those buildouts will occur in 2012. Everyone right now is focused on HSPA+ deployment. An LTE handset at this time would only work in one market and based on Apple's history, it seems more likely that Apple would release HSPA+ handsets for two years before perhaps releasing an LTE handset in 2013.

Verizon themselves claim that there will be no LTE-compatible handsets until the middle of next year. It's probable that the first LTE chipsets will be very power hungry and therefore mostly useful as notebook USB modems.

And, the LTE spec isn't even complete.

Nothing here adds up.
  • Reply 66 of 94
    iriairia Posts: 10member
    I don't see it, esp. since AT&T has a 30 day return window. They couldn't announce right after Christmas without risking returns, and if there was an "ATT demand" to maximize sales, it makes no sense.
  • Reply 67 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Iria View Post

I don't see it, esp. since AT&T has a 30 day return window. They couldn't announce right after Christmas without risking returns, and if there was an "ATT demand" to maximize sales, it makes no sense.

You?re making a lot of assumptions here. I doubt ?right after Christmas? literally means right after Christmas. Apple?s January events have been falling in the 2nd half of the month. Besides that, how many people bought new iPhones, say, the day before Christmas v. the day after Thanksgiving? Then you have to figure on when the contract was signed if they bought it in store, or when they bought it online from Apple.com. On top of that, the 30 day return policy is year round. Finally, you have to consider how many people will drop their device within the previous 30 days, lose the activation and other fees just to move to Verizon? Were they on Verizon before and then moved but didn?t want to wait at all? How exactly is this gift being presented that would cause all these new or re-upped AT&T users to jump to Verizon?

IOW, I think it?s a safe bet than iPhone on a 2nd carrier in the US trumps any short term consumer interest in switching carriers.
  • Reply 68 of 94
    Honestly. Verizon iPhone is the new Duke Nukem Forever.
  • Reply 69 of 94
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    What a load of rubbish - an LTE iPhone isn't happening any time soon. The networks aren't mature and I highly doubt the chipsets are mature in either size or battery weight.

I would love to be proved wrong, but it just doesn't make sense. It's far too soon.
  • Reply 70 of 94
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,508member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Maybe you meant calls and puts. Also, if you only buy options and never sell them short, you are limiting the strategies you can pursue, which could partially explain your lack of success.

Oops! Sorry, yes, calls. Holds are something else.

Actually, I've been more successful than most anyone else. What investment did you make since mid 2004 that's gone up as much as Apple?

Quote:

Speak for yourself, kemosabe.

You should have stopped when someone might have still believed you know something about it.

If you are seriously concerned about a short term 5% move in a stock you own, then I would have to question if your confidence is real.

Always end with a platitude.

Wow! you sure are an odd one. I'm confident that you do think you know a lot, and that you've done well. Good for you.
  • Reply 71 of 94
    hokhok Posts: 10member
    This phone will be Verizon only ? Or with a GSM chip and will replace the iPhone 4 at Christmas ?
  • Reply 72 of 94
    This Christmas the iPhone’s cellular radios grew 3 sizes."It’s a Christmas miracle”, said all the people of WTFville.
  • Reply 73 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

We are talking computers here they are never feature complete.

Don't be dense early adopters buy whatever Apple throws on the shelf.

Obviously you have never attempted to bring a brand new product to market. The hardware for the first rev of the iPad likely was in the labs for a long time before it went on sale. IPhone on the other hand is a mature device with quick development cycles.

Move outside of Americas slums and you will find that AT&T is just as good as Verizon.

Again you don't understand business. For one thing being an exclusive launch partner for new tech is huge for Apple in fact if this is true it is like winning the lottery. It is something that any company would want.

I don't know if the rumor is true, but I do know you don't understand business in general nor Apple specifically. Going CDMA only would be a big blunder.

Flameboy,

-- I think you know what I mean by "feature complete"... we're talking the fanboy wish list we always debate for weeks before MacWorld. And please don't comment on my mass/volume ratio. It makes me cry.

Ad hominem attacks aside,

-- I've been outside the "American Slums" and I agree, ATT and GSM is predominant and stronger internationally. Clearly this can be counted as one advantage of the "GSM First" strategy. I wish our mobile infrastructure were more like, say, Western Europe. Tell me then, why did Apple approach Verizon first? I think it's common knowledge that they did. And the device did debut in the good ol' mobile backwater of these here Yoonited States FIRST, no?

-- Please read other comments about the expense and power consumption issues involved in being first-to-market for LTE or just about any electronic hardware.

-- iPhone was a mature product in 2010 whereas the iPad was new. This is obviously true (though no apple products are unrefined the way competitors' can be). Still, I don't think a whopping 512 of RAM was exactly UNTHINKABLE when they were developing the iPad, do you? I mean, clearly it was going to have to run the same software as the 512 meg iPhone that came out only a few weeks later? While you are schooling me on bringing products to market, isn't it common knowledge that hardware is designed while anticipating falling costs and quickening chips? It is frequently cited in -- GASP -- business school that long-planned hardware like video game consoles platforms are designed for chips that barely exist yet, so that Moore's Law can bankably deliver them (and at lower cost) around the time the hardware is ready for market.

-- Interestingly, your disagreement with my point about the iPad ("mature" vs "new") also undermines your claim about an LTE which CLEARLY isn't "mature" yet, but you expect Apple to go there first anyway?

-- I agree with you that the "we did LTE first" claim could be marketing catnip to those hardware-as-commodity shoppers who expect the spec sheet to sell the device, but technically it could be egg on Apple's face, technically (think "death grip" or "dropped calls"). All Steve has to say is one memorable line like Blu-Ray being a "bag of hurt" or insult OLED screens (in favor of "retina") and the next day people will be thanking their stars Apple didn't rush into LTE.

-- The point you didn't attempt to refute is the main point, which is that it would still be very "un-apple" to launch the device checking off every box on the fanboy wishlist. They don't cannibalize future sales to VZW loyalists. They have a long record of not doing everything. The original iPhone wasn't 3G, though they probably could have done that, too.

--BTW I have been hitting this site daily since Steve's liver was under legal drinking age in Tennessee and I was in the room, holding the free T-Shirt when the Mac was introduced in 84, even got to play with one in 83 (I was ten), so I've been watching for a while.

We shall see...
  • Reply 74 of 94
    Wouldn't an iPhone with a different cell radio require FCC approval with a leadtime similar to the original iPhone?

Apple announced the original 6 months early to mitigate FCC leaks.
  • Reply 75 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Wouldn't an iPhone with a different cell radio require FCC approval with a leadtime similar to the original iPhone?

Apple announced the original 6 months early to mitigate FCC leaks.

1) Yes, but the FCC the other companies that do the testing have been great about keeping the data secret. After the FCC releases the info (usually the same day Apple officially announces and demos a new iPhone) we see exactly what Apple requested to be kept secret for a short or permanent duration.

2) Jobs said they needed the lead time for the FCC, but that was only a partial truth. I think the reason for the full 6 months was to help maximize the number of potential customers for the iPhone since the US market is heavily on subsidized phones and therefore customers under contract, the 6 month time helped to make sure less people renewed their contracts with new handsets or lower contract rates within that time frame. Plus, looking at some of the changes, like YouTube being added, it may have been to finalize quite a few apps and possibly iOS itself.
  • Reply 76 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hok View Post

This phone will be Verizon only ? Or with a GSM chip and will replace the iPhone 4 at Christmas ?

No.

This phone doesn't exist. It's just a figment of someone's imagination.
  • Reply 77 of 94
    I believe it when I see Steve Jobs on stage in front of a Verizon logo or when I'm holding one in my hand, whichever comes first.

It's people pushing up stock prices otherwise.
  • Reply 78 of 94
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

Everybody in the US that doesn't get service comparable to Verizon, which is to say most of the country.

I call BS on this. I think this verizon "advantage" is way overhyped. I've traveled to enough places and had good 3G service to know from personal experience this verizon "advantage" is way overplayed.

But hey, let all the whiny data sucking malcontents run off to verizon if they are so cockshure it's dramatically better. More power to them and more capacity to me.

Just enjoy your uninstallable vcast store
  • Reply 79 of 94
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Oops! Sorry, yes, calls. Holds are something else.

Actually, I've been more successful than most anyone else. What investment did you make since mid 2004 that's gone up as much as Apple?

I won't be baited into boasting. I will say that with very little stress and effort you could be making a few percent in cash on your AAPL shares, while keeping almost all of the upside appreciation potential and protecting yourself from a catastrophic loss in the event the stock crashes for any reason, if you knew only a little more about options. Look into it. You will be able to stop worrying about a drop in AAPL if there is no Verizon iPhone (or if something happens to Steve).

Quote:

Wow! you sure are an odd one.

Yes, but in a cute way.

Quote:

I'm confident that you do think you know a lot

A lot is a relative concept, but I think I know the difference between what I know and what I don't know.(hint,hint)

Quote:

and that you've done well. Good for you.

graceful exit.
  • Reply 80 of 94
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benny-boy View Post

This would be very un-apple to do this, ie make a first generation product totally feature-complete. I mean, what are they going to sell the early adopters next year? There is a reason why, for instance, the iPad has less RAM than the iPhone 4 released only weeks later, and why it has no cameras. They will get it on the next go-around and make more money in the process.

The Verizon iPhonefinally makes good on a disappointment from the original 2007 launch: the network. Personally, it's the reason I don't have an iPhone and CDMA is already a dream for most of us. Why drive up the manufacturing costs, risk wading into unprecedented technology on the world stage, etc and cannibalize future sales in the process? CDMA is the profit-maximizing first step, and 4G will come later. If not January 2012, then perhaps this spring.

You have absolutely no clue about what it takes to design and manufacture a product.