Apple to open Mac App Store Jan. 6 in 90 countries

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

Hypocritrical post considering all the stupid, "cute" names Apple uses for many of its industry-standard technologies.

It would be hypocritical, from your PoV, if Apple said this about MS' naming, but since I’m not the one making names for Apple’s products I can’t really be acting hypocritical... unless you have some evidence that of me supporting every naming convention Apple uses. Even then, what you might not find cute or marketable others might so hypocrisy can’t really enter into it… unless you have some proof of me saying that MS’ naming conventions are “kinectically zunerific” at some point in time. \
  • Reply 42 of 50
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It would be hypocritical, from your PoV, if Apple said this about MS' naming, but since I?m not the one making names for Apple?s products I can?t really be acting hypocritical... unless you have some evidence that of me supporting every naming convention Apple uses. Even then, what you might not find cute or marketable others might so hypocrisy can?t really enter into it? unless you have some proof of me saying that MS? naming conventions are ?kinectically zunerific? at some point in time. \

Yeah, I didn't mean you yourself was being hypocritical, I meant it's hypocritical to think that Microsoft uses various "cute" names for its products when Apple does, too.
  • Reply 43 of 50
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Yeah, I didn't mean you yourself was being hypocritical, I meant it's hypocritical to think that Microsoft uses various "cute" names for its products when Apple does, too.

Sorry, I have a debate tonight so I?m in pounce mode.
  • Reply 44 of 50
    Quote:

I guess it's more the way MS uses cool ideas and presents them in a way that is uncool.

Microsoft Bob, anyone? Windows ME?

Or how about that wonderful ad proclaiming the death of competitor smartphones? That sure was brilliant in promoting their platform. Millions of dollars down the drain for something incredibly cheesy.
  • Reply 45 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

THESE minus about about 15.

I love how at the top of the page are continents/large land masses with rows of countries and at the bottom is "The US and Canada" with the countries listed being The US... and Canada.

Also, with the whole DVD debate, it is possible that they would remove optical disk drives now that they have the Mac App Store, especially if they continue the trend we already know they started - let people who want to buy programs off of shelves buy flash drives. Or even SD cards.
  • Reply 46 of 50
    Quote:

Except for the fact that Linux distro package managers do the same thing as the App Store, except better and have been around much longer.

Define 'better'. Obviously better in the way Betamax was better - not better in the sense of single-handedly creating a mass-market for what has until now been a reclusive hobbyists domain. Not better in the sense of the number of users, number of apps downloaded, number of commercially successful products transferred. However congratulation for being one of the Elite (and few) who have actually heard of the distro package manager!
  • Reply 47 of 50
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post

They do have a little experience in doing such a thing. It's called iTunes Store.

whatever.

I say they're taking the roll-out up a notch in the scale of how many countries they're bringing on one day. I don't remember another. just another sign of how our little apple tree is gettin' all growed up and branching out.

and I've been watching since the pre-Apple I days. so impressed (and slightly unnerved) to see the plucky underdog become a global big dog. a big global big dog becoming bigger. a story they'll still be teaching in biz schools in 2110.

they used to say, "as goes General Motors, so goes the nation," and now it's getting all "as goes Apple, so goes digital tech world." we even have a "Big Three" (like GM, Ford and Chrysler): Apple, Google and MS.

course I've noticed this forum isn't always exactly focused on the big picture, historical implications, how all this effects society and our lives, etc. and so forth. too bad. nice view. always interesting.

good night internets.
  • Reply 48 of 50
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I hope MS Word is on there. Still Store should also give Mac game developers an alternative to Steam.
  • Reply 49 of 50
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:

Except for the fact that Linux distro package managers do the same thing as the App Store, except better and have been around much longer.

Better?

As in useable by mere mortals?

As in no cryptic error messages about inter-package dependancies?

While they have been around longer, I certainly wouldn't call Linux distro package managers simpler than the app store on iOS and no doubt what Apple has in mind for Mac OSX.

Granted, the apps that Apple will be distributing will be simpler, but then again that's kind of the point...
  • Reply 50 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Better?

As in useable by mere mortals?

As in no cryptic error messages about inter-package dependancies?

While they have been around longer, I certainly wouldn't call Linux distro package managers simpler than the app store on iOS and no doubt what Apple has in mind for Mac OSX.

Granted, the apps that Apple will be distributing will be simpler, but then again that's kind of the point...

Anyone bringing up Linux at this stage in the game when discussing the Mac is... <I am really not sure how to describe it>