Motorola hypes its tablet by calling Apple's iPad a 'giant iPhone'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 133
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Oh, and the iPad isn't a phone.

Neither is the iPhone 4, but that didn't stop anyone. Ba-zing!
  • Reply 22 of 133
    I'm sorry but that was a really, really bad commercial. As a consumer I was not impressed. And the bee completely lost me. It makes no sense at all to the average consumer. I was thinking, "Where'd THAT come from?"
  • Reply 23 of 133
    Quote:

That prototype device was running Android 3.0 "Honeycomb," and had a dual-core 3D processor, Nvidia graphics, and video chat functionality.

Apple needs to step up their processor game too. A dual core iPad shipping with a new version of iOS that has Grand Central Dispatch would be a wonderful thing.
  • Reply 24 of 133
    If you think about the fact that the iPhone 4 is the fastest selling smartphone in the world, and that the iPad OS was redesigned from the ground up as a tablet OS, that makes what Motorola is saying a compliment to the iPad without meaning to. The iPhone 4 has outsold the Droid by leaps and bounds and the iPhone 4 has the highest customer satisfaction rating. Motorola is left to pointing fingers at their competitors in their commercials just like they did with the Droid. Not very classy and it turned a lot of people off the last time. They need to do what Apple does in their commercials and show off what it can actually do. But then not everyone can be Apple.
  • Reply 25 of 133
    Of all the commercials Motorola has put together this is perhaps the best one I have seen.

Having said that even if the tablet that Motorola comes out with is great it will not be enough.

With 10M tablets and hundreds of apps already in play, Apple has the first mover advantage. Apple's share may fall because of Android tablets but it will be too little to matter.

The only thing that will make a difference is price - if Google can subsidize the tablet to be under $100 they maybe able to sell enough of them to make a difference.

All in all the future of Moto's tablet is bleak at the best.
  • Reply 26 of 133
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Motorola's logo looks like it belongs on a Batmoblie.
  • Reply 27 of 133
    I want a Harley Davidson...but it's just a giant BMX...

The iPhone has but two significant, non-software limitations...the power of its hardware compared to a desktop/laptop (I grew up happy with my Sinclair Spectrum 48k and Amiga 500+, I certainly don't take the iPhone for granted!) and the inherent size of it's screen...something that will never change unless our pockets get a lot bigger at some point...the iPad takes away the second limitation and time will erase the first.

Touch screen, on your lap computing works. Calling the iPad a giant iPhone as if that's a BAD thing is just absurd. They're designed to do the same things, just one more pleasantly than the other with added benefits inherent to a larger screen. Why make them different? How would you make them different?

The Galaxy Tab is just a large Galaxy S...the Motorolla Alsoran is just a large Motorolla Droid...

...my MacBook Pro is just a small iMac...nobody calls it pointless!!! I don't see the IPad as a large iPhone, I see the iPhone as a small iPad and if the iPad had come first, I don't think anyone would be saying that like it was a criticism.

Personally, I think the Playbook has the best shot at taking on iPad. The only chance the rest of the pack have is if Google do an unexpectedly good job with Honeycomb...yeah, I'm thinking what you're thinking...but you never know!! That said, I think this is just Apple's halcyon day, I can't see anyone touching them on any front for a little while and it's entirely their own, unimaginative, uninspired, 'safe' fault.
  • Reply 28 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VictoriousSecret View Post

Apple needs to step up their processor game too. A dual core iPad shipping with a new version of iOS that has Grand Central Dispatch would be a wonderful thing.

'Dual-core' sounds nice, but does a tablet really need it yet? As long as the iPad2 is faster and competes with the competition (there's a bad sentence right there!), I don't think it matters how it achieves it.
  • Reply 29 of 133
    "The bees know!"
  • Reply 30 of 133
    No, HERE is a "giant iPhone"
  • Reply 31 of 133
    Better a giant iPhone than a giant turd! Besides, what's wrong with a giant iPhone? Sounds kinda cool!
  • Reply 31 of 133
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    I thought it was a very creative Ad. Whether their tablet will be as good waits to be seen. In any case they don't look as stupid as msft and their iphone funeral.
  • Reply 33 of 133
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member
    The funny thing is that Apple is often accused of being just 'marketing', but if you really look at the situation, it is often the other way around. Motorola put in very heavy advertising for the original Droid. Microsoft spends enormous amounts on advertising WP7 it seems, etc. Here locally, Samsung heavily advertises Galaxy phones and Blackberry is advertised a lot. But not Apple.

I am curious if we are going to see a 2010-repeat. A lot of pre-emptive noise at CES (remember the Win 7 tablets last year with Ballmer on stage?) and then a few weeks later Apple with iPad2 and my personal suggestion: videoconferencing on your TV via ATV2 and AirPlay from your iPhone.

And, however well made, the ad did remind me of that movie of Microsoft employees "burying the competition of WP7" last year. There is a Dutch saying that translated says: You should not sell the hide before you have shot the bear. This kind of advertising without there being an actual product works less and less. It only points out that there is no product (yet).
  • Reply 34 of 133
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Calling something a giant iPhone... not really an insult.

The left out a word:- "...a giant, SUCCESSFUL iPhone."
  • Reply 35 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gctwnl View Post

And, however well made, the ad did remind me of that movie of Microsoft employees "burying the competition of WP7" last year. There is a Dutch saying that translated says: You should not sell the hide before you have shot the bear. This kind of advertising without there being an actual product works less and less. It only points out that there is no product (yet).

Good points but hype/anticipation-building ads are a staple of the industry. Don't forget the Apple 1984 ad, widely held up as one of the best there's ever been (rightly or wrongly). It was an ad for an unreleased product.
  • Reply 36 of 133
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Motorola bought BeOS?
  • Reply 37 of 133
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Well...

The FACT is all current Apple iDevices (iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch) do run identical version of iOS, the same processors, etc., so there are certainly more similarities than many care to admit.

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/6...ipadosproo.jpg
  • Reply 37 of 133
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

This could be a very real problem as Apple does have a history here of stagnating at just the wrong time. Besides I don't see real competition coming from Android as the platform is a mess.

Windows was like that at one point, 3.1, 3.11 for workgroups, NT3, and then the OEMs custom oddities on the top...but then they got their game together, with win95/winnt4 and that changed everything. There will, in the next year or two be a moment of awakening like that for android, mark my words.
  • Reply 39 of 133
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Motorola bought BeOS?

• Reply 40 of 133
    It's funny how the iPad has a picture of the iPhone up on the wall. Very subtle.