Motorola hypes its tablet by calling Apple's iPad a 'giant iPhone'

Comments

• Reply 81 of 133
    So those are supposed to be ancient tablets in a museum or something, right? Why are the Ten Commandments in English? FAIL!
  • Reply 82 of 133
    It's amazing that all these also-rans have the time and energy to spend on ads and posturing, but when it comes to backing it up they've got nothing. Droid tablet? Lmao what else is new.
  • Reply 83 of 133
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Well...

The FACT is all current Apple iDevices (iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch) do run identical version of iOS, the same processors, etc., so there are certainly more similarities than many care to admit.

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/6...ipadosproo.jpg

You say a 9.7” 4:3 tablets complete OS is IDENTICAL to devices with a 3.5” 3:2 display despite the glaring differences in the UI and app functionality. That sounds pretty fraking magical to me.
  • Reply 84 of 133
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You say a 9.7? 4:3 tablets? completeOS is IDENTICAL to devices with a 3.5? 3:2 display despite the glaring differences in the UI and app functionality. That sounds pretty fraking magical to me.

A month ago he would have been banging on about fragmentation in the iOS platform...
  • Reply 85 of 133
    radjinradjin Posts: 165member
    An then there was iPad 2...
  • Reply 86 of 133
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

A month ago he would have been banging on about fragmentation in the iOS platform...

LOL That will be his next argument, won?t it.

:sigh: I?ve had a rough day. I can?t deal with any more irrational, hateful people today. Good night everyone.
  • Reply 87 of 133
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Well it just caught up to the iPhone 3 weeks ago by finally being able to multitask- before that it was simply a big 2nd generation iPod Touch.
  • Reply 88 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

Also, they broke the number one rule in advertising: never show your competition's products. They didn't even show their own product. This was just an ad for the iPad and Tab

Apple has the last laugh.....? They don't need to spend much A$ to advertise for their product as the stupid competitor comes along and does it for them unknowingly anyway! They done their own funeral at the end of the show.
  • Reply 89 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by QwertyJuan View Post

If ANYONE would have released a tablet besides Apple with as many limitations as the iPad does it would have NEVER sold as many. I bet you'd be hard pressed to sell 25% as many. Why have they sold so many?? Because some people will buy ANYTHING that Steve Jobs introduces to the public. Not saying that the iPad is not a nice device(it is), but not one other company that I can think of has as many mindless followers, sitting ready to buy the next "iToy" that Steve has for them. For instance thousands(maybe even millions??) bought the Apple "Mighty Mouse". Are you serious?? I could have taken a rock, installed a sensor on it and it would have been better. Why not buy a decent mouse made by Logitech instead?? Oh yeah, it wasn't made by Apple so we can't use it!!

People that only buy one companies products get my goat. P.S. HAPPY iPod touch owner and soon to be iPad owner.

Perhaps. While there are many people who buy it for the cool factor, the iPad still wouldn't have been this successful without another reason.

For reference, the buttonless shuffle was pretty flipping cool. But it was limited and ultimately was nothing more than a proof of concept product. (which apple can get away with making. See: MacBook air)

I think the reason the iPad can be successful in spite of its limitations is that it's part of an ecosystem. It's an extension of my MacBook and of my iPhone. No tablet like the idea you mention (made by another company) would survive because there's nothing to support and make up for its limitations.

The tablet is not ready to be a replacement for a laptop. Therefore, any successful tablet needs to have some kind of support system
  • Reply 90 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FrankenSigns.biz View Post

I'm sorry but that was a really, really bad commercial. As a consumer I was not impressed. And the bee completely lost me. It makes no sense at all to the average consumer. I was thinking, "Where'd THAT come from?"

As far as I can tell, it's not really a commercial and it's not targeted for the average consumer. It's a teaser for CES which means it's targeted for tech heads who understand the bee image. And I'm fairly confident it will never air on television
  • Reply 91 of 133
    Moto can call it whatever they want but fact remains it's the best to date!
  • Reply 92 of 133
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

HONEYCOMB HONEYCOMB ME WANT HONEYCOMB! </cheesy 1980s kids tv ad referance>

I am excited to see such competition, this is what drives innovation and forces leaders like apple to innovate because they want to stay ahead....lest they repeat the mistakes opf the mac 1985-1999, letting it fall from the gold standard to a laughing stock when OS 8 was compared to NT4

you are SO right! if it wasn't for apple's competition?forcing apple to innovate, they (apple) wouldn't be where they are now.

astonishing!
  • Reply 93 of 133
    The bee signifies someone is going to get stung?
  • Reply 94 of 133
    Giant iphone eh? Well knowing how awesome the iPhone is, then it must be awesome as well since it's a "Giant iPhone" no?
  • Reply 95 of 133
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Nice ad. 100 times better than Lawrence of Arabia Microsoft WP7 teaser.

But they just couldn't find fault with iPad, could they? Calling it a "giant iPhone" doesn't sound like convincing insult, unlike calling a Tab "phone OS" LOL. (You bought a tablet but you got phone OS, aeeewwwwww)

But people's missing the point. The point is Google, for all its money, for all its resource, for all its supposedly innovation (which they have zero to claim) is a year late to the party. Why? Because as usual, they want to see what iPad actually is then they proceeded to copy it, put additional features in and call it the next big thing. Pretty sad that this all this giant company can do really.
  • Reply 96 of 133
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    I took a peek at Android Forums to read the comments of Galaxy Tab owners about Motorola's teaser video. Their reactions revealed their insecurity about the Tab, which uses the same Android OS as phones. Good for them that they have their forum as a support group to reinforce their choices...
  • Reply 97 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

I took a peek at Android Forums to read the comments of Galaxy Tab owners about Motorola's teaser video. Their reactions revealed their insecurity about the Tab, which uses the same Android OS as phones. Good for them that they have their forum as a support group to reinforce their choices...

Can I have some of what you are smoking?

I see only 1 reply in the thread you linked and it says

Quote:

Saw this.

Great video.

I have a tab and am very happy with it but this is a very cool promo video. 2011 will certainly be the year of the tablet.

So, I'm wondering on what basis are you going off on a psychoanalytical exercise about insecurity and support groups etc... Seems, that this thread is more suited to your narrative.
  • Reply 98 of 133
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sciwiz View Post

Can I have some of what you are smoking?

So, I'm wondering on what basis are you going off on a psychoanalytical exercise about insecurity and support groups etc... Seems, that this thread is more suited to your narrative.

Geez, I didn't expect the kind of Spanish Inquisition!
  • Reply 99 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Geez, I didn't expect the kind of Spanish Inquisition!

Of course, nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
  • Reply 100 of 133
    Should be interesting to see the first legitimate iPad competitors. Here's hoping they can force down Apple's iPad price a bit more.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kdjohn3 View Post

So those are supposed to be ancient tablets in a museum or something, right? Why are the Ten Commandments in English? FAIL!

I would assume since the Ten Commandments are imaginary they can pretend they were in whatever language they want!