Survey finds 17% of homes with Apple's iPad have 2 or more tablets

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I am always shocked at the amount of money parents are willing to spend on tech for their kids. Kids everywhere with iPads, iPhones and iPod touch devices... Mind-blowing amounts of money! And to think, I grew up on books, little plastic humans and mostly my own imagination...

You remind me of when they had to shock an old man on Futurama:

Leela: Try shocking him.

Bender: Your social security check's bounced. Stuff cost more than it used to. Young people use curse words.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    foobarfoobar Posts: 107member
    Only 17%?

Well, I'm also waiting for iPad 2 for #2.

The one I have always seems to disappear in my girl-friend's hands. Damn you, Harbor Master...
  • Reply 23 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I am always shocked at the amount of money parents are willing to spend on tech for their kids. Kids everywhere with iPads, iPhones and iPod touch devices... Mind-blowing amounts of money! And to think, I grew up on books, little plastic humans and mostly my own imagination...

You forgot to mention the little die cast metal cars with the lead based paint that chipped off and retarded our brain development

Kids need to be exposed to the technology that's around them. When I was a little kid there was no such thing as a personal computer. Once there was such a thing my parents bought one and we learned to use it. It was a family device and we learned to share.

When I had kids of my own I tired to follow the same path, but I use the computer so much that sharing wasn't really an option.

So the G5 became the "grown ups" computer and we bought a used G4 for the kids. In 2009 we purchased two refurbished Mac minis to bring the family into the Intel era. Eventually the kids will each inherit an identical mini, but for now I can't justify buying a new computer for myself and the kids really don't need their own computers.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Multiple tablet households is where in-app purchases can burn consumers. Tablets seem more likely to be shared by household members than iPhones are. A household starts with one tablet, makes in-app purchases, and then the decision is made to buy another tablet. It might not be a problem if the in-app purchases were all made for one person's use, but if some were purchased for one user and some for another, then purchases will need to be made again for the second tablet, even though there's no increase in the number of users.

I'm waiting for iPad 2 for #1. iPad 1 was rushed to market.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

I'm waiting for iPad 2 for #1. iPad 1 was rushed to market.

Haha, that's pretty funny. You know, just because Apple is at least a year ahead of the competition doesn't mean they're too early. It means the competition really is that inferior.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    Purchased 6 for delivery on first day of issue for my wife & i and our 4 adult kids. Since then another for my sister. And now for Christmas my grandkids are getting them from their parents.

Also plan on upgrading with next release. Just as I do the iPhone.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by urbanleopard View Post

Sharing worked in this household for about a month.

Then it was either a second iPad or divorce, which would have been slightly more expensive.

Ya know why divorces are so expensive?

They're worth it.

• Reply 28 of 33
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

Haha, that's pretty funny. You know, just because Apple is at least a year ahead of the competition doesn't mean they're too early. It means the competition really is that inferior.

You're right. The iPad team probably had no idea FaceTime was going to be available 2 months later and the iPhone 4 with 2 cameras and twice the RAM (512 MB).
  • Reply 29 of 33
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    This is what Apple wanted all along. Multiple iPads per household. And it will happen because internet-based communication and information retrieval is inherently an individual activity. And unless you're willing to pass around a single iPad, you're going to need more than one.

The individual nature of internet usage is also why Google TV will get thrown down the same staircase that WebTV got thrown down. In a typical family, once the novelty of surfing on your big-screen HDTV wears off (about 10 minutes give or take), the fight for control will start. Who gets to surf for what they want to surf for? Who gets to plop the giant keyboard-remote into their lap and start typing and mousing?

Big-screen TV viewing is a communal, shared event in most households. Web surfing, emailing, and texting are individual, private events for most people. This a far deeper and more significant difference than the simple "lean forward" vs. "lean back" concepts that marketing people like to use. Nobody will be allowed to interrupt the family showing of Avatar to check their Facebook page.

So how do we solve this problem of communal TV viewing vs. individual internet usage? By creating a portable internet device for each family member. iPad, iPhone, iPod touch. Bingo. Now you can surf IMDb's listing for Wall-E while you and your whole family is watching Wall-E.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

iPad 1 was rushed to market.

Hahahahahahahaha!

Thanks for the laugh...
  • Reply 31 of 33
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

My wife bought a Netbook last year - and then ran into trouble trying to install apps from CDs since it has no optical drive

Hope you have better luck trying to install apps from CDs on your new iPad
  • Reply 32 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

You forgot to mention the little die cast metal cars with the lead based paint that chipped off and retarded our brain development

Kids need to be exposed to the technology that's around them. When I was a little kid there was no such thing as a personal computer. Once there was such a thing my parents bought one and we learned to use it. It was a family device and we learned to share.

When I had kids of my own I tired to follow the same path, but I use the computer so much that sharing wasn't really an option.

So the G5 became the "grown ups" computer and we bought a used G4 for the kids. In 2009 we purchased two refurbished Mac minis to bring the family into the Intel era. Eventually the kids will each inherit an identical mini, but for now I can't justify buying a new computer for myself and the kids really don't need their own computers.

I have mixed feelings about kids being exposed to too much TV and web surfing. My honest impression is that kids are going in two different directions these days... many of them are becoming more stupid than ever before, just as some of them are displaying greater intelligence than before. I think the difference is exposure to the real world versus the narrow view than one gets from self-centered choices made from the enormous array of media and diversions that are available to kids. It's like half of them are ADD and the other half are brats... kinda like the Eloi and the Morlocks in H.G. Wells' "The Time Machine".
  • Reply 33 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deuxlavabo View Post

two thoughts:

1. it's kind of silly to compare the ipad to any of the available tablets. suffice it to say there are no real competitors yet. they'll be here next year. start the comparrisons then.

2. what's with the "don't know" category? really? this group always shocks me in surveys...

For the answer to your second thought, I advise you to refer to your first thought... simple.