Survey finds 17% of homes with Apple's iPad have 2 or more tablets

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A newly released survey has found that 17 percent, or nearly one-fifth, of iPad owners have two or more tablet-style devices in their household.



The study, released Tuesday by research company YouGov, polled 1,667 tablet owners about their devices. In total, 782 of the sample size owned an iPad.



Of those, 145 -- or 17 percent -- said they own "two or more" tablets in their home. That edged out the Amazon Kindle and Sony's line of e-readers for multiple devices.



Most who own more than one iPad -- 37 percent -- said they bought a second tablet because their partner uses the iPad "all the time," while 17 percent said it was used by family members, and 14 percent said their children were using the iPad frequently. That means a total of 68 percent of respondents said they bought a second tablet because the iPad gets constant use.



The survey did not indicate whether those who bought a second tablet chose an additional iPad, or another device like the Amazon Kindle. But the survey also polled tablet owners who are planning to buy a second device, and found that 69 percent of them would choose an iPad, well more than the 24 percent that would opt for a Kindle.







Apple sold 4.19 million iPads in the last quarter, as the device is already outselling Apple's line of Mac computers. This week's survey suggests the potential untapped tablet market is even larger, if users view them as personal devices rather than shared ones.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 33
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,141member
    I know a few households that got one ... intending to share. Good luck with that LOL.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    Sharing worked in this household for about a month.



    Then it was either a second iPad or divorce, which would have been slightly more expensive.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,594member
    As I predicted when the iPad first arrived and as has been pointed out many times in various articles. The iPad is great for sharing but in most households that share I imagine a common general complaint is "What have you done to my iPad?", or some version thereof, relating to app management, email, bookmarks, high scores, half played games etc etc. But I imagine the biggest problem is accessibility. "Where's the iPad?", or "[insert name here] has had it for AGES! It's my turn now!" etc etc. So while the iPad is great for sharing, its really impossible to share an iPad... if you get my drift.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    Unsurprising. Early iPad adopters had a self-reported income of over $100,000. I've seen tons of anecdotes about how the iPad would vanish the moment the bearer would return home.



    Good for them, good for Apple shareholders.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    two thoughts:



    1. it's kind of silly to compare the ipad to any of the available tablets. suffice it to say there are no real competitors yet. they'll be here next year. start the comparrisons then.



    2. what's with the "don't know" category? really? this group always shocks me in surveys...
  • Reply 6 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deuxlavabo View Post


    2. what's with the "don't know" category? really? this group always shocks me in surveys...



    Those are people who haven't fully committed to plunking down the dollars for another tablet. They might be saying, "Gee, another iPad sounds great, however, I think the minivan needs new tires" or "braces for the little one."



    Stuff like that.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    it has been suggested that the iPad has 80% or more of the tablet market, yet only 47% of the sample pool are ipad owners? Considering certain conclusions in this article were drawn from even smaller subsets within the sample pool, I'd say there are some definite questions about the conclusiveness of the data. It doesn't take a genius to think there is a halo effect within consumers' households - but this survey doesn't do much to support it.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    Guilty! My wife loves mine but the kids are the one's that tipped the balance to get a second one. $499 later and an Otterbox Defender case and the kids have their own. Since one of my kids is special needs, it's a big boost to him.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post


    Those are people who haven't fully committed to plunking down the dollars for another tablet. They might be saying, "Gee, another iPad sounds great, however, I think the minivan needs new tires" or "braces for the little one."



    Stuff like that.



    nono, the "don't know" in the "what tablet do you own" question.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post


    it has been suggested that the iPad has 80% or more of the tablet market, yet only 47% of the sample pool are ipad owners? Considering certain conclusions in this article were drawn from even smaller subsets within the sample pool, I'd say there are some definite questions about the conclusiveness of the data. It doesn't take a genius to think there is a halo effect within consumers' households - but this survey doesn't do much to support it.



    I think that comes down to what different surveys are willing to call tablets. This article says that this survey considers Kindle and the Sony e-readers to be tablets, but I'm reasonably sure I wouldn't put them in that category.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    I couldn't see how one iPad coild be enough for an entire family. My family is two and if Apple can make iPad more magical next year, namely "much lighter" then i'll deffo buy one each.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    At first the 782 out of 1,667 tablet owners number through me off - less than 50% market share for the iPad is way below most reports of 85%, but then I realized that the survey counted e-readers as tablets. I'm sorry but a Kindle is not a tablet. Form factor does not a product make - functionality does!
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post


    Guilty! My wife loves mine but the kids are the one's that tipped the balance to get a second one. $499 later and an Otterbox Defender case and the kids have their own. Since one of my kids is special needs, it's a big boost to him.



    I am always shocked at the amount of money parents are willing to spend on tech for their kids. Kids everywhere with iPads, iPhones and iPod touch devices... Mind-blowing amounts of money! And to think, I grew up on books, little plastic humans and mostly my own imagination...
  • Reply 14 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    polled 1,667 tablet owners about their devices. In total, 782 of the sample size owned an iPad....



    Of those, 145 -- or 17 percent -- said they own "two or more" tablets ...



    ...



    That means a total of 68 percent of respondents said they bought a second tablet because the iPad gets constant use.



    .







    Ummmm........no. 68 percent of respondents said no such thing.





    The data started with 1,167 respondents and demonstrated that less than 47% of respondents even have an iPad. 17% of of this minority certainly does not equal 68%.



    I call bullshit.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    The survey seems more of an effort for "tablet" makers to justify the existence of their wares and give salespeople a mythical marketshare number to toss out to potential customers during their sales pitches.



    Yeah, I can hear it now...

    "Well, the iPad only has 47% tablet marketshare, while ours has 23% and growing."

    blah blah blah

    Yes, and Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy and various Deities are real, too! But, only in your dreams.



    How does one compare the Kindle and Sony Readers to an iPad?

    Yes, there are physical similarities, but that's about it. They couldn't be more different function-wise. eBook readers are transitional devices and I would assume will mostly disappear within the next few years.



    I have six different eReader apps on my iPad and several hundred other apps that do myriad things. That's WAY beyond merely reading text.



    Of the half-dozen or so "true" tablets that have been released, the only one still for sale (as far as I know) is the Samsung Galaxy. HP and Viewsonic both pulled theirs. The JooJoo was barely out of vapor, before it dematerialized. I believe there are a couple more that qualify as punchlines and little more.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post


    it has been suggested that the iPad has 80% or more of the tablet market, yet only 47% of the sample pool are ipad owners? Considering certain conclusions in this article were drawn from even smaller subsets within the sample pool, I'd say there are some definite questions about the conclusiveness of the data. It doesn't take a genius to think there is a halo effect within consumers' households - but this survey doesn't do much to support it.



    I think you're not looking at the numbers correctly and failed to see how these statistics are accounted. Your viewpoint that this data is not conclusive is flawed. Apple has more than 90% of the tablet market. Not everyone owns a tablet. So out of those who have purchased a tablet, 90% or more have an iPad. Again, not everyone has purchased a tablet so half of the respondents not having an iPad doesn't effect market share.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkichline View Post


    Again, not everyone has purchased a tablet so half of the respondents not having an iPad doesn't effect market share.



    "The study, released Tuesday by research company YouGov, polled 1,667 tablet owners about their devices."



    Good day, sir.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    I am always shocked at the amount of money parents are willing to spend on tech for their kids. Kids everywhere with iPads, iPhones and iPod touch devices... Mind-blowing amounts of money! And to think, I grew up on books, little plastic humans and mostly my own imagination...



    You sound like somebody's Dad
  • Reply 19 of 33
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    My wife bought a Netbook last year - and then ran into trouble trying to install apps from CDs since it has no optical drive - and some apps would not run because the screen res was too low.



    I have just been informed that I am receiving an iPad as a gift.



    So we will have one iPad and one Netbook in the household - along with 3 iPhones - one MacBook Pro - one iMac - one Mac Mini - and one Lenovo T510 - along with an assortment of various technological flotsam and jetsam.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post


    My wife bought a Netbook last year - and then ran into trouble trying to install apps from CDs since it has no optical drive - and some apps would not run because the screen res was too low.



    I have just been informed that I am receiving an iPad as a gift.



    So we will have one iPad and one Netbook in the household - along with 3 iPhones - one MacBook Pro - one iMac - one Mac Mini - and one Lenovo T510 - along with an assortment of various technological flotsam and jetsam.



    sounds like you should have known better than to let your wife buy a netbook.
Sign In or Register to comment.