Verizon reportedly sees iPhone as "essential to future success"

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Verizon is "still excited" about launching Apple's iPhone early next year "to combat slowing Android momentum in the US," according to analyst Shaw Wu of Kaufman Bros.



The confirmation of Verizon's interest in launching the iPhone, "despite it already carrying a full roster of competing operating systems including Android, BlackBerry, Symbian, Windows, and webOS," provides additional support for data reported earlier showing a sharp decline in Verizon's growth from Android following the launch of iPhone 4.



The Kaufman Bros. note emphasizes Verizon's concerns about Android and its market share losses to AT&T, stating, "our sources indicate that VZ views iPhone as essential to its future success."



The firm also noted that it appears that AT&T's exclusive on RIM's BlackBerry Torch is set to expire at the end of this year, allowing Verizon to sell it or a similar model on its network as well.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 35
    Well Duh....
  • Reply 2 of 35
    I can't wait to see the iPhone on Verizon just to see how popular it becomes over there and also how Apple handles having multiple versions of the device.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    I'm still waiting for the Verizon tv Christmas ads of the Land of Misfit Toys?!



    Kiss the Apple Ring oh Verizon, Kiss the Apple Ring... Jobs commands you!
  • Reply 4 of 35
    Our long national nightmare is almost over.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    This is going to get tricky for Apple. Let's say the Verizon iPhone comes out in January and it has all the specs of the current iPhone 4 (except having the different chip for Verizon's network) and then Apple releases the iPhone 5 for AT&T in June/July with the new updated specs. Are they going to release the iPhone 5 at that time for Verizon as well? If so, the early adopters at Verizon are going to feel flim flammed. It would have been nice for everyone if this could have been coordinated to happen all at once. Ideally, it would be good to have the new Verizon iphone come out as an iPhone 5 in June/July. But obviously no one wants to wait that long, including Apple and Verizon. A lot of phones can be sold in 6 months! This too shall pass but I bet we are going to hear grumblings about it from users. This is going to be similar to when the iPad came out and then a few months later we have the iPhone 4 with better specs. The iPad already seemed outdated in some ways.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cronked View Post


    This is going to get tricky for Apple. Let's say the Verizon iPhone comes out in January and it has all the specs of the current iPhone 4 (except having the different chip for Verizon's network) and then Apple releases the iPhone 5 for AT&T in June/July with the new updated specs. Are they going to release the iPhone 5 at that time for Verizon as well? If so, the early adopters at Verizon are going to feel flim flammed. It would have been nice for everyone if this could have been coordinated to happen all at once. Ideally, it would be good to have the new Verizon iphone come out as an iPhone 5 in June/July. But obviously no one wants to wait that long, including Apple and Verizon. A lot of phones can be sold in 6 months! This too shall pass but I bet we are going to hear grumblings about it from users. This is going to be similar to when the iPad came out and then a few months later we have the iPhone 4 with better specs. The iPad already seemed outdated in some ways.



    Yeah, they need to lock in as much market share as they can, as soon as possible. I'm hoping they just move up to a 6-month refresh cycle to combat the frequent Android releases. Sure, the upgrades would be less substantial, but it would keep their hardware on the cutting edge, which is where they want and need to be.

    Not like they don't have the necessary R&D budget.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    I don't mean to be the fly on the Apple here, but is anyone really certain that the iPhone is coming to Verizon?
  • Reply 8 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hamiltonrrwatch View Post


    I don't mean to be the fly on the Apple here, but is anyone really certain that the iPhone is coming to Verizon?



    Yes, absolutely. I have been certain for about 3 years now.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hamiltonrrwatch View Post


    I don't mean to be the fly on the Apple here, but is anyone really certain that the iPhone is coming to Verizon?



    I?d bet money it?s finally coming. Too much anecdotal evidence from to many disparate sources for me not think it?s finally getting announced in 2011.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cronked View Post


    Yes, absolutely. I have been certain for about 3 years now.



    L O L
  • Reply 11 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post


    Yeah, they need to lock in as much market share as they can, as soon as possible. I'm hoping they just move up to a 6-month refresh cycle to combat the frequent Android releases. Sure, the upgrades would be less substantial, but it would keep their hardware on the cutting edge, which is where they want and need to be.

    Not like they don't have the necessary R&D budget.



    not worth it to apple, and not really ideal for the consumer. too many versions out there, too much trouble to support all of them, etc. i don't need a new phone every 6 months. once a year is plenty, especially with 2-year contracts in place. besides, name one apple product that is on a 6-mo update cycle...



    i wouldn't be at all surprised to see an announcement early 2011, delivery mid-year with iphone 5. the anouncement will be enough to stunt the growth of android further. people will wait 6-months with an expired contract for an iphone... and the majority of people won't have their contracts expire within that 6-mo period anyway.
  • Reply 12 of 35
    Maybe we won't have to wait till nearly summer for iPhone5. Just maybe there would be a compromise on dates and push out Verizons' launch, and push up the ATT&T launch sooner?

    Just a thought.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cronked View Post


    Yes, absolutely. I have been certain for about 3 years now.



    haha



    Yep, I'm not convinced that Verizon will get the Jesus Phone in jan. My bets this rumour is the continuation of the stalling tactic, and that they will be onboard with the iPhone 5. If that allows me to stock up on AAPL for 5% cheaper in jan thats fine by me. Let the spin masters do their thang.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hamiltonrrwatch View Post


    I don't mean to be the fly on the Apple here, but is anyone really certain that the iPhone is coming to Verizon?



    2007 Verizon will sell the iPhone

    2008 Verizon will sell the iPhone

    2009 Verizon will sell the iPhone

    2010 Verizon will sell the iPhone

    2011 Verizon will sell the iPhone



    Eventually, a broken clock is 'correct' twice a day.



    I feel sorry for all those who continue to wait based on these rumors. You missed out on a great experience over the last few years.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,511member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cronked View Post


    Are they going to release the iPhone 5 at that time for Verizon as well?



    Most likely, yes.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cronked View Post


    If so, the early adopters at Verizon are going to feel flim flammed.



    Tough luck. There are plenty of examples of Apple doing what it needs to do without worrying overly much about whether customers have tech envy.



    Thompson
  • Reply 16 of 35
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cronked View Post


    This is going to get tricky for Apple. Let's say the Verizon iPhone comes out in January and it has all the specs of the current iPhone 4 (except having the different chip for Verizon's network) and then Apple releases the iPhone 5 for AT&T in June/July with the new updated specs. Are they going to release the iPhone 5 at that time for Verizon as well? If so, the early adopters at Verizon are going to feel flim flammed. It would have been nice for everyone if this could have been coordinated to happen all at once. Ideally, it would be good to have the new Verizon iphone come out as an iPhone 5 in June/July. But obviously no one wants to wait that long, including Apple and Verizon. A lot of phones can be sold in 6 months! This too shall pass but I bet we are going to hear grumblings about it from users. This is going to be similar to when the iPad came out and then a few months later we have the iPhone 4 with better specs. The iPad already seemed outdated in some ways.



    Unlike when you buy the latest and greatest Android phone only to see it eclipsed by the next latest and greatest Android phone 15 minutes later?



    Why would anyone feel "film flamed" just because Apple brings out a new phone 6 months after you bought one? That's actually relatively slow for the phone industry, and almost anyone is going to spend at least a year of their two year contact with last year's phone. I think most consumers are pretty aware of how that works.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post


    Tough luck. There are plenty of examples of Apple doing what it needs to do without worrying overly much about whether customers have tech envy.



    And we’re talking a blip on the radar. The original iPhone did well for Apple and paved the way for the future iPhones without Apple having to wait for the appropriate ‘3G’ radios to be production ready.



    If people really want an iPhone that isn’t on AT&T they will buy it even if they know a new one is coming along shortly. After all, there are people that buy the iPhone up to and even after a new model is released so there is certainly a market for it.



    My questions are:
    • Has Apple made Verizon incorporate this rumoured jiggering of EV-DO Rev. A to make it capable of simultaneous voice and data?

    • Will it maintain the same physical design so that cases and other accessories work out of the box?

    • If announced in January, will it be released alongside the typical iPhone release or be released months ahead of time to give Verizon some attention and give Apple time to ramp up production (though there is a new Foxconn iPhone factory apparently coming online in early 2011)?

    • Will Apple also continue to partner with AT&T and will there be other carriers deals?

  • Reply 18 of 35
    I paid Verizon $210 to get out of my contract in 2007. I made the decision to jump to Att after my agency's IT group opened up the iPhone to the corporate network. I saw the iPhone as an investment in myself. To this day it remains one of the most important tools I employ for managing & growing my business and thus my career.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post


    2007 Verizon will sell the iPhone

    2008 Verizon will sell the iPhone

    2009 Verizon will sell the iPhone

    2010 Verizon will sell the iPhone

    2011 Verizon will sell the iPhone



    Eventually, a broken clock is 'correct' twice a day.



    I feel sorry for all those who continue to wait based on these rumors. You missed out on a great experience over the last few years.



    Don't you think those who waited (or bought Droids) would have switched if they could have? If you can't use the iPhone as a phone, its kinda pointless isn't it?
  • Reply 20 of 35
    This is lame. Come on Daniel, you are taking an analyst's word about Verizon and the iphone?



    I mean, come on, you derided people for saying that here:



    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2009/0...ng-to-verizon/



    Prepare however, of course, for me to bring that link back up to your attention if the CDMA iphone comes out. Because, as you said:



    Quote:

    There is no chance of an iPhone for Verizon.



Sign In or Register to comment.