Apple allows previously banned 'Camera +' back into iPhone App Store

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
More than four months after it was banned for allowing users to snap a picture with the iPhone's volume buttons, the application "Camera +" has been allowed back into the App Store by Apple.

The application from developer TapTapTap is once again available in the App Store at an introductory price of 99 cents. Dubbed "Camera + 2," the application was announced on Wednesday with more than 50 new features.

The post on the company's official blog by TapTapTap head John Casasanta makes no mention of developer's previous dispute with Apple, which led to the iPhone maker removing Camera + from the App Store. Those who owned the previous version of the application will receive the update for free.

"We've been pretty busy for the past several months working on the latest and greatest version of our flagship app, Camera+," the blog post reads.

New features include sliders for adjusting effects on photos, the ability to export geolocation and metadata when saving pictures to the camera roll, and a faster startup time. Not likely among them is an "Easter egg" or physical shutter button option.

The popular application was pulled from the App Store by Apple in August after it was discovered that the software violated Apple's developer agreement terms. The previous version of the software had an "Easter egg" feature that allowed users to make an iPhone volume control button act as a shutter button to take pictures.

The developer had previously attempted to include the feature, called "VolumeSnap," in a more direct way, but Apple rejected it. The company, which approves every application made for sale on the App Store, said that the volume shutter button could result in "user confusion."

Instead, TapTapTap included the feature in Camera +, but hid it. It revealed via its official Twitter account that entering a URL into the Mobile Safari browser on the iPhone could activate the feature.

Before it was pulled from the App Store, the popular application grossed nearly a half million dollars in its first two months of availability. As of Wednesday morning, it is the ninth most popular paid iPhone application on the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    So does the new app, camera +2, have the so called "volumesnap" feature or not?
  • Reply 2 of 34
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The company [Apple], which approves every application made for sale on the App Store, said that the volume shutter button could result in "user confusion."

we are a stupid bunch, aren't we? i love it when corporate america protects me from myself.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

we are a stupid bunch, aren't we? i love it when corporate america protects me from myself.

It?s a company protecting its self interests. Nothing wrong with that.

It could be argued that Apple is too cautious and caters too much to the lowest common denominator, but I?ll take that any day over the opposite.

Even with these checks and balances there are plenty of things people just don?t realize with their Apple products. For example, people still think the Fast App Switcher is a list of all the apps that are currently run/using up RAM.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    And in other news, still sucks for anyone who is concerned about an efficient workflow. It finally launches into the photo mode, but the lightbox is still a useless pain in the ass.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RepreeThis View Post

I thought it went without saying that it doesn't.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    Quote:

Nah, you're only stupid if you don't like the product and yet you still go ahead and buy it. And then complain that it's not what you wanted and is a waste of money.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    I wish I'd realized the "VolumeSnap" feature was removed before I upgraded this. I hope I still have the older .ipa in Time Machine...

Another case of the App Store "standards" process run amok.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    How can I love a company's products so much and loath their policies at the same time?

This is how they encourage and justify jailbreaking.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    Quote:

1) yes, the average user is actually pretty stupid and products *do* have to be designed around that fact to be successful.

2) "Corporate America" rarely if ever protects anyone from anything, so your comment implying "they" are doing this again, makes no sense at all.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    Quote:

Probably not, if they want to add physical button support they should partner with someone like owle.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

1) yes, the average user is actually pretty stupid and products *do* have to be designed around that fact to be successful.

2) "Corporate America" rarely if ever protects anyone from anything, so your comment implying "they" are doing this again, makes no sense at all.

1: The problem is stupidity has no limits and with the way things are going, they'll keep designing products that aim lower and lower.

2: He was being sarcastic
  • Reply 11 of 34
    No volume snap. If you update, it takes away that feature.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It?s a company protecting its self interests. Nothing wrong with that.

It could be argued that Apple is too cautious and caters too much to the lowest common denominator, but I?ll take that any day over the opposite.

Even with these checks and balances there are plenty of things people just don?t realize with their Apple products. For example, people still think the Fast App Switcher is a list of all the apps that are currently run/using up RAM.

Wow. Justifying this promotes you to "ultimate apple fanboy". How in the world is this protecting it's self interests?

When a user has to purposely set the option to use map the physical button, that is in no way "confusing".

In my own experience, when I first had my 2g iPhone, I found myself clicking the home button to take the picture. It's even more natural to use a physical button than the silly virtual one. I've asked a couple of people around the office here that have iPhones and they generally agree.

This is a just a good idea that Apple is, unfortunately, missing the point. It's crap like this that is moving me farther away from Apple.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

1: The problem is stupidity has no limits and with the way things are going, they'll keep designing products that aim lower and lower.

It seems we may well be on the path to "idiocracy".
  • Reply 14 of 34
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crapple187 View Post

Wow. Justifying this promotes you to "ultimate apple fanboy". How in the world is this protecting it's self interests?

When a user has to purposely set the option to use map the physical button, that is in no way "confusing".

In my own experience, when I first had my 2g iPhone, I found myself clicking the home button to take the picture. It's even more natural to use a physical button than the silly virtual one. I've asked a couple of people around the office here that have iPhones and they generally agree.

This is a just a good idea that Apple is, unfortunately, missing the point. It's crap like this that is moving me farther away from Apple.

You know, with a user name like "Crapple187" I'm pretty sure Apple isn't going to mourn the loss of a not very bright 12 year old as a customer.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I still think that there were two excellent camera ideas floating around:

1.) Make the entire camera preview screen the shutter button. Of course now with zoom and focus it makes that a bit complicated.

2.) And in the mean time, hold the shutter button down and release it after you have composed your shot rather than trying to tap it once the shot has been composed.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

It seems we may well be on the path to "idiocracy".

The working definition of stupidity around here seems to be "anyone who doesn't think exactly like me."
  • Reply 17 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

The working definition of stupidity around here seems to be "anyone who doesn't think exactly like me."

This is quote-worthy.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I still think that there were two excellent camera ideas floating around:

1.) Make the entire camera preview screen the shutter button.

2.) And in the mean time, hold the shutter button down and release it after you have composed your shot rather than trying to tap it once the shot has been composed.

I like #1 even if they include a virtual button so people naturally know not to click the Home Button.

Isn?t #2 how it?s worked from the start? It doesn?t take the shot until you release the button, but not when you first engage it.

I?ve been wanting Apple to make Mute toggle switch into a button that also can be depressed. I think this would make for a more natural way to snap a pic, to mute a call, or to engage voice control. Two of these would make usage in the pocket pretty natural, IMO.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    Quote:

What would it take to say "... so in updated version there is/is not this feature available". I could not get it from the article at all.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

That is stupid.