Apple's next-gen iPad to get iPod touch-like back, wide-range speaker - rumor

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

Except the iPod Touch does not have a flat back, it's curved!!

Finally. Thank you.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    And.... 6,000 posts. You're welcome. I'll be here all next year.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    MUah aha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha hAAAA
  • Reply 24 of 48
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    Being an electronics engineer, I never understood why Apple (or anyone) hasn't yet put just a single high quality camera in a phone or iPad and use it for both front & back viewing.

One good camera, pointing UP and buried internally near the upper edge. A movable mirror that can pivot 90 degrees and a glass aperture on either side of the mirror, one for the front and one for the rear. The camera points to the mirror and when in one position it gets a view out the front, and when the mirror is in the other position the camera gets its view out the back. Another big benefit is that it would make auto-focus and zoom much easier to do and more powerful since the front-to-back dimensions of the camera could be much greater, needed for high zoom and wide ranging focus.

... just early morning rambling... carry on.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    foobarfoobar Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

I'll have to disagree here. There is a really amazing storyboard composer for the iPhone/iPod Touch and if it were available on the iPad, it would be a godsend to not have the extra step of having to download pictures already taken from a different camera onto the device. Take the pictures and make the storyboard on the spot!

Apple doesn't put something in for 0.003% of users...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by n.k View Post

another reason is that all the competitors have them so not having it makes it look like the iPad is missing something major. we might know its impractical but newbies dont and might see it as a major omission thus costing sales.

Apple doesn't put something in just because everyone else does it. (If anything it makes it less likely...)

I still think they'll add it. Because they like symmetry in their products. (That also makes app developer's lives easier.)
  • Reply 26 of 48
    I don't care if it's gonna be 3mm thinner, have better speakers, faster processor, hell, even a camera etc. I just want the damn mute switch turned back into the bloody orientation lock. Grrr.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    Quote:

Thanks. I was kind of curious about that. Mine is a couple of years old. I wasn't sure if they had done a design refresh with a flat back or what. Maybe he meant iPhone 4?
  • Reply 28 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foobar View Post

Apple doesn't put something in for 0.003% of users...

Unless their names are Steve and Jony, that is
  • Reply 29 of 48
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Does this also mean the new case won't be aluminum? I'd hate to see the same back as iPod touch. I have bought one of those for my son, and that thing is fingerprint magnet, to the point you have to keep it wrapped up in soft cloth all the time or else it develops nasty stains that almost look like welding stains. I think putting something shiny polished like that on a device that is mostly kept in hands is a huge mistake.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveyJJ View Post

I don't care if it's gonna be 3mm thinner, have better speakers, faster processor, hell, even a camera etc. I just want the damn mute switch turned back into the bloody orientation lock. Grrr.

I kind of agree.....\
  • Reply 31 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveyJJ View Post

For frick's sake. Jailbreak and do it; Apple never will.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    Still no stereo speakers? Apple put such a great screen on the iPad so it's a shame that watching tv/movies with the current lone speaker is a bit like being deaf in one ear.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TuckerJJ View Post

Still no stereo speakers? Apple put such a great screen on the iPad so it's a shame that watching tv/movies with the current lone speaker is a bit like being deaf in one ear.

The speaker is ALREADY stereo. They're both in the same place, likely stemming the "wide-range" phrase in the rumor.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    According to the report, the Ambient Light Sensor has been moved to the "upper center of the rear panel"

So ridiculous it casts serious doubt on the validity of the whole "report".

I mean... really.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    It's just a rumour and will remain a rumour until Gizmodo steals an iPad 2 from a bar.

• Reply 36 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Just look at the Pontiac Zune, I mean the Pontiac Aztek - it's to blame for the current hard edges.

Somehow, I doubt anyone is taking design cues from the Aztek.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Niko03 View Post

An ambient light sensor on the back of the iPad doesn't make much sense.

If I have the unit resting on something the sensor isnt going to have the right reading.

What matters is the ambient light on the screen.

It makes sense if they really are going to put a still camera on the back. That sensor would provide the required input for auto flash. Of course, you still need the one on the front for the purpose you're describing.

Thompson
  • Reply 38 of 48
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I really think Apple hates having their "perfect" devices put into any type of case so they make minor changes every year to screw over the case makers and confuse customers looking to buy a case.

That would be a really great conspiracy theory, if not for the fact that Apple makes a case for the iPad. (And they sell a boatload of them, too, at a great profit.)

Thompson
  • Reply 39 of 48
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:

No, it's flat, with curved edges, as in 'rounded bevel.' It will sit on a table without rocking. The iPad won't, for a reason: It is meant for the hands, and it feels like it is meant for the hands even when it's in a case, if that case follows the shape.

To miss this is to miss the point of the iPad. It is TACTILE!

Edit: Today's story about leaked case pictures also claims the back will be flattened. If so, Ive & Jobs may figure that they've made their point about 'the internet in your hands' with generation one, and it's time to use space more efficiently It may have something to do with room for cameras. Also, having a flat back wiil make it easier to devise a tripod mount for serious video.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Somehow, I doubt anyone is taking design cues from the Aztek.

Somehow, I doubt he was being serious in his assertion.