Samsung to rival Apple's iPod touch with Android Galaxy Player

Comments

• Reply 21 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by striker_kk View Post

Where did you get the number?

Probably from their SEC filings. They're publicly traded companies, they need to report stuff like R&D in their cash flow statements.
  • Reply 22 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nooge View Post

That link only talks of TV and movie rentals, no mention of music, which is critical for a media player. Also, their market isn't even available on ATT or Verizon and that page has many complaints of it not working for users, so their marketplace is not a credible contender.

The thing is they don't need to have their own media store or App store. This is Android based, apps and games can be had from Google Market and media from Amazon, what's already going on the phone front.
  • Reply 23 of 99
    i'll buy that for a dollar! but not a penny more.
  • Reply 24 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Probably from their SEC filings. They're publicly traded companies, they need to report stuff like R&D in their cash flow statements.

Actually, in their 10-K filing (see http://www.apple.com/investor/), they spent $1.78 Billion in R&D last year...
  • Reply 25 of 99
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Their Galaxy S phones are nice so I'd imagine their iPod Touch challenger would be very good as well. Apple hasn't had to innovate much on the iPod line lately so it would be nice to see a fire lit under them. Apple may even have to play catch-up knowing how Samsumg will attempt to out do the Touch spec-wise. Good luck to Samsung.
  • Reply 26 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

Samsung sold a lot more of those "POS" tablets than I thought they would though.

It's the only real contender against the iPad and there are many people out there they wanted a tablet, but are just simply anti-Apple. This is the "only" real option those people have.

I'm just curious how many of those million Galaxy Tab's sold, have already been returned?
  • Reply 27 of 99
    Far from there being no other PMPs running Android, Archos has been using the Android OS on its top end PMPs for over a year. And these are vastly superior to anything else on the market today. Moreover, the devices can use Windows Media Player, iTunes, or any of a number of media organisers out there, making it far less restrictive than the iPod. To be unaware of these facts smacks of sloppy journalism...
  • Reply 28 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sciwiz View Post

The thing is they don't need to have their own media store or App store. This is Android based, apps and games can be had from Google Market and media from Amazon, what's already going on the phone front.

Actually, it appears like they do need to have their own store.

Amazon.com has not encroached on the iTunes Store's dominance of the digital music market, despite competitive pricing.

Same thing with the Google Market: multiplatform app developers frequently report 10x more downloads from Apple's App Store, despite the relative parity in iPhones and Android-based handsets in the U.S.

The non-iTunes storefronts are there, yet they are not attracting many customers.
  • Reply 29 of 99
    Quote:

Maybe you missed the part where it says this will Android based, that takes care of the ecosystem.

No, actually that was part of my point. Android just doesn't have the ecosystem. Less apps in general, fewer of them are any good, lesser games, no music or media store to speak of, etc. etc.

People pay a premium to use Apple products to get at the ecosystem. Android *has* an ecosystem, but it's just not attractive enough for anyone to pay through the nose for a media player. Thus my comment about how it should be a whole lot cheaper to survive at all, and that it should be viewed as a device to *grow* an ecosystem (a loss-leader), not as something that's desirable in and of itself at the moment.
  • Reply 30 of 99
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

"Samsung also lacks a music marketplace similar to iTunes"

That's the killer. iTunes is the reason for iPod's success, and it has helped iPhone and now iPad enormously. Without a software infrastructure like iTunes, Samsung is sending its users back to 2001, when people manually dragged-and-dropped files to their MP3 players.

The kind of people who seem to like Android because they can fiddle with the settings are the same kind of people who like to drag and drop their files and have complete control. The Apple way is to sync them, which has its pros and cons I suppose.
  • Reply 31 of 99
    Why the hell would I want to go backwards?!
  • Reply 32 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The kind of people who seem to like Android because they can fiddle with the settings are the same kind of people who like to drag and drop their files and have complete control. The Apple way is to sync them, which has its pros and cons I suppose.

DoubleTwist and Winamp both offer wireless syncing. If you are already not using Itunes, there is a better chance that Winamp is probably your media management program.
  • Reply 33 of 99
    There is just no way in the world I'd change to another media player/digital content store at this point. These guys are trying to take business away from a pretty solid system... there will always be detractors, but nothing come remotely close to the iPod touch/iPhone/iPad ecosystem.
  • Reply 34 of 99
    archosarchos Posts: 152member
    Quote:

Research before writing, Daniel.

Samsung Media Hub

"Coming Soon to AT&T and Verizon." That means it's not here yet.
  • Reply 35 of 99
    ... of all the blatant iPhone/iPod clones coming from other manufacturers? I mean, this device even looks like the first generation iPhone in its design.

It may look "nice" but that's because it's a copy of a pre-existing device. I refuse to support companies that do not innovate but instead, rides on the back of a company that does.

I wish there was a way for Apple to have completely patented the design, user interface, etc. of the iPhone. Maybe then, we would see something special from other mobile phone manufactures. Sorry Samsung. If you want to impress, come up with your own ideas.
  • Reply 36 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Venger View Post

Far from there being no other PMPs running Android, Archos has been using the Android OS on its top end PMPs for over a year. And these are vastly superior to anything else on the market today. Moreover, the devices can use Windows Media Player, iTunes, or any of a number of media organisers out there, making it far less restrictive than the iPod. To be unaware of these facts smacks of sloppy journalism...

I think the article says no successful media players. Archos is rather obscure and certainly isn't threatening Apple's iPod business.
  • Reply 37 of 99
    Quote:

That's quite different than

That's because you're taking one quote out of context from the article (about Google's Android Market, which offers no media downloads) and are comparing it to comments about Samsung's own "coming soon" media market, which was not addressed in the article.

Why would you do that unless you're a troll?
  • Reply 38 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archos View Post

"Coming Soon to AT&T and Verizon." That means it's not here yet.

Also says "Available with T-Mobile and Sprint." The software exists, so the the non availability on devices on ATT and Verizon networks is probably carrier shenanigans.

Since we are talking about devices without a phone radio, arguing over on what carriers it is available is silly.
  • Reply 39 of 99
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

DoubleTwist and Winamp both offer wireless syncing. If you are already not using Itunes, there is a better chance that Winamp is probably your media management program.

There is also a really good chance that you would be a Windows loving, Apple hating, Android fan boy.
  • Reply 40 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Add cheap navigation software and a car mount/charger and you can eliminate an expensive GPS device.

My Garmin will run rings around any phone based software. It simply kills the Navigon that I have installed on my iPhone. My Garmin is faster and more sensitive. Try running a SIRFstar III or iV in your phone and see how long your battery lasts.