Samsung to rival Apple's iPod touch with Android Galaxy Player

Comments

• Reply 41 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

There is also a really good chance that you would be a Windows loving, Apple hating, Android fan boy.

Damn it, you got me!
  • Reply 42 of 99
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I’m glad to see Android finally pushing into the PMP market. Hopefully what Samsung does to make their device a viable PMP will carry over to Android OS as a whole.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

My Garmin will run rings around any phone based software. It simply kills the Navigon that I have installed on my iPhone. My Garmin is faster and more sensitive. Try running a SIRFstar III or iV in your phone and see how long your battery lasts.

Have you tried TomTom for iPhone. I quite like it over the standalone Garmin and TomTom GPS systems. I can’t imagine ever buying a standalone GPS again.
  • Reply 43 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I?m glad to see Android finally pushing into the PMP market. Hopefully what Samsung does to make their device a viable PMP will carry over to Android OS as a whole.

Have you tried TomTom for iPhone. I quite like it over the standalone Garmin and TomTom GPS systems. I can?t imagine ever buying a standalone GPS again.

Thanks for the tip. I will go give a look see.
  • Reply 44 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

There is just no way in the world I'd change to another media player/digital content store at this point. These guys are trying to take business away from a pretty solid system... there will always be detractors, but nothing come remotely close to the iPod touch/iPhone/iPad ecosystem.

You're missing a very important point. I doubt Samsung is figuring on getting you to switch your PMP or abandon the Apple ecosystem. There are new teenagers entering the market every day and Samsung is in a position to siphon off a share for themselves. It's credible and good for the Apple ecosystem consumers. The competition that Samsung can bring will benefit the Apple customer not by getting them to switch, but by the new market choices that will either make Apple give more or lower prices.
  • Reply 45 of 99
    Quote:

I’m glad to see Android finally pushing into the PMP market. Hopefully what Samsung does to make their device a viable PMP will carry over to Android OS as a whole.

Have you tried TomTom for iPhone. I quite like it over the standalone Garmin and TomTom GPS systems. I can’t imagine ever buying a standalone GPS again. ][/indent][/INDENT]

I just bought it myself Solipsism! It's the most expensive App I've bought. And low and behold, it's the best!

I was looking for a "stand alone" to just leave in the car...but after looking at their clunky touch screens and the wires and ugly mounts...I decided to stay with my original plan and try and keep everything in the iPhone 4.

I've recommended it a few times here....It's $39 US right now! I would grab it while you can guys and gals! (no affiliation, just think it's one of the best apps on the iPhone) tried Mapquests Free App and was really disappointed!

Best

PS. Looks really cool at night...and it auto changes for night! Pretty cool...read one of the reviews and it said did not use the exit numbers on the freeway...They must have updated it b/c now it does!

PSS. The iPhone 4's Retina Display make the graphics and especially the text for the street names so much more clearer than on the stand alones, I saw in Target, Best Buy or Walmart!
  • Reply 46 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by canucklehead View Post

... of all the blatant iPhone/iPod clones coming from other manufacturers? I mean, this device even looks like the first generation iPhone in its design.

It may look "nice" but that's because it's a copy of a pre-existing device. I refuse to support companies that do not innovate but instead, rides on the back of a company that does.

I wish there was a way for Apple to have completely patented the design, user interface, etc. of the iPhone. Maybe then, we would see something special from other mobile phone manufactures. Sorry Samsung. If you want to impress, come up with your own ideas.

My first thought, too, canucklehead. I'm so glad Apple made the iPod Touch, iPhone and iPad so lesser companies (Dell, Rim, HP, MS, etc.) have something to "copy!"

Makes it so much easier than coming up with an original design! Lot easier to reverse engineer, too.

But they still don't get the Apple ecosystem.

Best
  • Reply 47 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

There is just no way in the world I'd change to another media player/digital content store at this point. These guys are trying to take business away from a pretty solid system... there will always be detractors, but nothing come remotely close to the iPod touch/iPhone/iPad ecosystem.

Exactly, Spam! Well said!

Best
  • Reply 48 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I just bought myself Solipsism!

You can't afford me

Quote:

I was looking for a "stand alone" to just leave in the car...but after looking at their clunky touch screens...

I can see the desirablility of a stand-alone GPS unit but the displays are so poor in resolution and brightness. Add to that the processing speed, the speed of A-GPS, access to your contacts, updated routes, realtime traffic (option), and the ability to search via Google to find a POI not in the TomTom app makes it a winner for me.

Of course, much of these features were largely negated before iOS 4.0 allowed the app to access GPS data in the background, which was a make-it-or-break feature for my needs.

PS: I hope Apple allows some sort of timed usage of apps for the next major update because even at $40 that's going to turn away great many customers before they even seriously consider it.
  • Reply 49 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by striker_kk View Post

Where did you get the number?

I don't know about the number Striker, but I do remember Jobs saying something like, Apple spends a lot of money hiring and training the right people.

So in a down economy, Apple does not layoff people they redouble their efforts in R&D and then when the economy turns around Apple is poised to take full advantage and be well ahead of its competitors. Smart.

Other companies should do this instead of firing people willy nilly. Don't they realize they are not just laying off their workers but also customers?

In Germany, the government won't allow businesses just to lay people off for the government (taxpayers) to support. The gov. insists they reduce them to 3/4 time, 1/2 time, etc., and again when the economy turns around they just go back to full-time.

Germany is back to the employment right now that they had before the recession. Not America though, we fire people, then have to go through the prolonged process of hiring and training new workers. Stupid!

Best
  • Reply 50 of 99
    Quote:

You can't afford me

It's amazing how one missing little word can change the whole meaning of a sentence!

I meant to say, "I just bought 'it' myself, Solipsism..." But, at least you sound, "flattered!"

Cheap but not free!

Best
  • Reply 51 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Venger View Post

Far from there being no other PMPs running Android, Archos has been using the Android OS on its top end PMPs for over a year. And these are vastly superior to anything else on the market today. Moreover, the devices can use Windows Media Player, iTunes, or any of a number of media organisers out there, making it far less restrictive than the iPod. To be unaware of these facts smacks of sloppy journalism...

You mean this POS that looks like it was designed in 1986?

Also, if these things use Android, it isn't actually mentioned on the (seven!) pages on the Archos website dealing with their latest products. So maybe they are running Android, but even if they are, the author of this article could be excused for not knowing it (since Archos themselves hardly touts it as a feature), and Archos themselves are complete idiots for not promoting that fact.

So yes, if you want an ugly POS *possibly* running Android that's big as a VCR and looks like something someone wearing parachute pants would own, then Archos is the way to go.
  • Reply 52 of 99
    Ah, people around here are showing their bias, AGAIN.

Who would have thought that Samsung could sell 9.3 million Galaxy S smartphones in such a short period of time, when the absolutely PERFECT ultra-desirable iPhone is available to all?

Who would have thought that Samsung could sell over a million Galaxy Tab's when it has a smaller screen and, with data plan, is more expensive than the iPad? Yet it did.

If Samsung needs an ecosystem, call Microsoft. Their Zune Desktop software would be a great near-out-of-the-box competitor to iTunes. Samsung could license it. Itunes is a more mature software, but with a little tweaking, it could compete nicely. Samsung could use it to gather the more desirable Android apps, and have music and video for purchase.

At this point, I would not underestimate Samsung. They have a large user base of their products now, they just need a well designed and price competitive product to compete against the ipod touch.
  • Reply 53 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Also, if these things use Android, it isn't actually mentioned on the (seven!) pages on the Archos website dealing with their latest products. So maybe they are running Android, but even if they are, the author of this article could be excused for not knowing it (since Archos themselves hardly touts it as a feature), and Archos themselves are complete idiots for not promoting that fact.

So yes, if you want an ugly POS *possibly* running Android that's big as a VCR and looks like something someone wearing parachute pants would own, then Archos is the way to go.

Too funny, Prof.! I still can't believe the creaky, plasticky crap (with lousy interfaces) Electronic manufacturers are putting out from TV's to cameras, laptops, phones, GPS', and on and on.

I agree, Prof., can't they get with the program? I'm talking about Dell, HP, Sony, Samsung, etc., etc. It's like they are striving to be....wait for it.....mediocre at best!

Chris
  • Reply 54 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by easy288 View Post

Ah, people around here are showing their bias, AGAIN.

Who would have thought that Samsung could sell 9.3 million Galaxy S smartphones in such a short period of time, when the absolutely PERFECT ultra-desirable iPhone is available to all?

Who would have thought that Samsung could sell over a million Galaxy Tab's when it has a smaller screen and, with data plan, is more expensive than the iPad? Yet it did.

If Samsung needs an ecosystem, call Microsoft. Their Zune Desktop software would be a great near-out-of-the-box competitor to iTunes. Samsung could license it. Itunes is a more mature software, but with a little tweaking, it could compete nicely. Samsung could use it to gather the more desirable Android apps, and have music and video for purchase.

At this point, I would not underestimate Samsung. They have a large user base of their products now, they just need a well designed and price competitive product to compete against the ipod touch.

Good points...but with all due respect, all those millions you're talking about will end up in a dusty box next to their Zunes and netbooks with their corresponding dusty cables and dusty brick power chords.

Crap is crap...whether it be substandard hardware or substandard software, or most likely, both!

Best
  • Reply 55 of 99
    Quote:

Actually, Archos has several modern looking PMP/Pocketable Tablets and they do mention Android on their home page several times. They also seem to updating them with the latest Android OS in a pretty good time frame.
    So what strikes me as odd about Archos is the lack of marketing to promote a product that not only has many years of tablet experience with mobile OSes under their belt, but also have access to the Android Market. Two things that should interest buyers over Samsung, RiM and others.

I doubt they feel they can beat the iPad, but they could certainly get ahead of Samsung Galaxy Tab and RiM PlayBook. If they lose too many high-end sales to these non-iPad tablets they might as well throw in the towel because they missed their grande opportunity. This is where good marketing can build your mindshare.

Here is their $99 model running Android: http://store.archos.com/archos-inter...et-p-5002.html
  • Reply 56 of 99
    Expensive. A lot of sub $100 GPS's this Christmas. I would like GPS chips in iPod and iPad. Out of interest does 3G iPad have GPS?
  • Reply 57 of 99
    Quote:

I pity your google-fu if that is what you found searching for Archos devices.

http://www.archos.com/
  • Reply 58 of 99
    With Samsung going head-to-head with so many Apple products, I wonder if we will see Apple choose a different design/foundry partner for their ARM chips (maybe TI). The loss of Apple's business would not be any real blow to Samsung but, if I were Apple, I would not want to be relying on a primary competitor for components that can be sourced elsewhere.
  • Reply 59 of 99
    not having to use iTunes would be an advantage for Samsung
  • Reply 60 of 99
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Samsung also lacks a music marketplace similar to iTunes; it relies upon Google's mostly ad supported Android Market for all its third party software, which doesn't come close to the selection and quality of Apple's iOS App Store and doesn't even attempt to offer music, movies, and other popular media content.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sciwiz View Post

Research before writing, Daniel.

Samsung Media Hub

Excuse me but YOU should do some research before writing. Samsung's Media Hub only has movies and TV shows, NO MUSIC just as DED said. So before you start posting, get yourself and education!