Apple sued over privacy rights in iPhone ads case

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Radjin View Post


    The can, using all the information from the phone and from other sources they can learn everything about you. Where you are at any given time of the day, what you bought and for whom if it was a gift, if you are in proximity to another device and who that person is, are you cheating on your partner, are you married man and having an interlude with a man? All this can be gleaned with the information that is out there about us. With the mobile phone, there is one piece of information that makes it all possible, the ID code. It cannot be change or hidden. Are you sure you want advertisers to know when you are in the bedroom?



    OK name me a marketing company that allows my company access to that information...

    Certainly none of the marketing companies I have used.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Radjin View Post


    The can, using all the information from the phone and from other sources they can learn everything about you. Where you are at any given time of the day, what you bought and for whom if it was a gift, if you are in proximity to another device and who that person is, are you cheating on your partner, are you married man and having an interlude with a man? All this can be gleaned with the information that is out there about us. With the mobile phone, there is one piece of information that makes it all possible, the ID code. It cannot be change or hidden. Are you sure you want advertisers to know when you are in the bedroom?



    "are you cheating on your partner, are you married man and having an interlude with a man?"



    You are crazy. You think you phone knows all that? Do you hide your phone from your wife too?
  • Reply 23 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post




    It's about time you Americans started awarding costs to the losing party in court cases, having the risk of paying Apple's legal expenses would stop a lot of these frivolous suits.



    Tort reform is sorely needed in the U.S., but of course most bar associations will fight that tooth and nail.



    Job security for attorneys...







    Shoot 'em all and let God sort 'em out....
  • Reply 24 of 47
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peter02l View Post


    "are you cheating on your partner, are you married man and having an interlude with a man?"



    You are crazy. You think you phone knows all that? Do you hide your phone from your wife too?



    And my kids too. Otherwise the family runs down the battery playing Angry Birds.



    P.S. Paranoid People are Funny and Sad all at the same time.
  • Reply 25 of 47
    "location, age, gender, income, ethnicity, sexual orientation and political views"



    How can your phone know this unless you agree to the services terms of service and privacy policy. Its not Apples fault its yours for entering this information. For example, Pandora gets that information when you sign up. I entered that info on my COMPUTER has nothing to do with the iPhone.
  • Reply 26 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by habi View Post


    What about Android?!?!



    This legal firm is interested in money, not privacy. If they were interested in privacy, they would have raised the issue in a public way before suing.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post


    Well.. the UDID is not a users data, it is a device ID and has nothing to do with the user. Apple in their documentations instruct developers not to permanently associate the UDID with the user.



    The fear is that one good hacker or a greedy Apple employee could reveal the names behind the IDs



    Quote:

    Furthermore, Apple provided the user with the necessary controls to block any app from using location services. It is not their responsibility if the user voluntarily agreed to the developers terms and agreed to provide such information to them.



    the catch is that folks don't understand who is getting the info. Especially when it is outside of iAds. My proposal is this. All ad supported apps should be required to have a splash screen that comes up the first time the app is installed that clearly states the source of the ads, what information is gathered and requires you to 'approve' the ads to continue. If you don't agree, you remove the app and nothing from that session has been gathered. I would also love if all ad supported apps were required to have a buyout so users can pay one time and no ads but I don't see them doing that



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vedavis View Post


    A full-page iAd came up this morning advertising the Windows 7 Phone OS. Can't say AAPL isn't fair and balanced to advertisers, just not to your personal data.



    I doubt that was an iAD given that Apple won't let mags devoted to other mobile OSes in the stores. I'm sure they vet th ads thru will be serving the same way
  • Reply 28 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post


    The fear is that one good hacker or a greedy Apple employee could reveal the names behind the IDs



    Do we know if this information even exists in a DB to hack? This ID is not your IMEI number. Apple may not even store it, could be just a unique ID generated during the manufacturing process. I have not looked into it, but I am currently unaware of any evidence that suggests Apple actually stores the ID.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    95% of lawyers give the rest a bad name!
  • Reply 30 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Radjin View Post


    It's not about the anonymous details like age and gender, it's about tying it to a unique piece of information that you cannot block or change and that can actually tell the advertiser your exact address, buying habits sexual orientation, where you travel and when. It's not just the information that the phone sends, it is connected with your credit card purchases, contests you enter, flights you take. With the phone they can now actually see your location and they make the assumption that where your located most is your home address and could drive right to your house. I don't care if they track my likes and send me ads based on that, but I do not want them to know how to drive to my house, or when I am in the bathroom.



    Yeah, except they CAN'T get all that information. ZERO personally identifiable information is transmitted. They can't do anything with the information they're collecting except target you for a specific ad. That's it.



    I know you don't know me, but trust me on this. I'm a marketing expert and know all about this stuff.
  • Reply 31 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stourque View Post


    95% of lawyers give the rest a bad name!



    Maybe God will be satisfied with only 95%....
  • Reply 32 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


    Downloading an App involves a conscious decision to do so, there are terms and conditions to be agreed to, it's written there when you install iTunes and is readily available under "View my Account" under "Store" in iTunes.



    It is a voluntary action.



    It's about time you Americans started awarding costs to the losing party in court cases, having the risk of paying Apple's legal expenses would stop a lot of these frivolous suits.



    Since when did we become victims for not reading or using our brains?! My nephew was playing a Wii game the other day, he kept getting frustrated because he didn't know what to do. I asked him, "did you read what it told you to do?" "No", he says. So I tell him what it said & told him next time he needs to read what it says. It tells him again and sure enough he just clicks through it really fast not even reading, he then spent the next half hour running in circles cause he had no clue what he was supposed to do. The kid is 12, I know he can read, but he doesn't want to have to do anything that requires a bit of thinking. These days I'm just dumbfounded at the stupidity of our culture, we're really in trouble.
  • Reply 33 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    An iPhone user has sued Apple over advertisements appearing in mobile apps, following a report that outlined how mobile ads work.



    New Business Model:



    1. Identify any "hot phrase" that can be used as a publicity-attracting element.

    2. Mate the hot phrase with any practice that is common to any deep-pocketed corporation.

    3. Sue the corporation loudly and publicly for being associated with the hot phrase.

    4. Most important: Raise money to "help sue that big, bad corporation."

    5. Start the lawsuit.

    6. Continue to berate the corporation loudly and publicly.

    7. Wait until the suit bogs down. Your treasure chest should be 300% of expenditures.

    8. Drop the suit.

    9. Pocket the 300%.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Radjin View Post


    The can, using all the information from the phone and from other sources they can learn everything about you. Where you are at any given time of the day, what you bought and for whom if it was a gift, if you are in proximity to another device and who that person is, are you cheating on your partner, are you married man and having an interlude with a man? All this can be gleaned with the information that is out there about us. With the mobile phone, there is one piece of information that makes it all possible, the ID code. It cannot be change or hidden. Are you sure you want advertisers to know when you are in the bedroom?





    OMG..... you're right!! They might find out that I sleep for 7 hours each and every night!! Siht, I better throw my phone in the trash as soon as I can... LOL.





    Regardless, I don't see anyone throwing a fit about credit cards, or grocery store key tags.. What about Onstar, or Factory navigation units. Stop light cameras, building security cameras, facial recognition cameras at malls etc.



    You're worried about your phone ??? You better stay in your house for the rest of your life if you're worried about people tracking you.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 2,452member
    The world would have survived just fine without Paper Toss.

    Sock it to 'em, KKK.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuzzMega View Post


    New Business Model:



    1. Identify any "hot phrase" that can be used as a publicity-attracting element.

    2. Mate the hot phrase with any practice that is common to any deep-pocketed corporation.

    3. Sue the corporation loudly and publicly for being associated with the hot phrase.

    4. Most important: Raise money to "help sue that big, bad corporation."

    5. Start the lawsuit.

    6. Continue to berate the corporation loudly and publicly.

    7. Wait until the suit bogs down. Your treasure chest should be 300% of expenditures.

    8. Drop the suit.

    9. Pocket the 300%.



    That seems to have an air of truth to it.

    I know other posters above have mentioned it, but I can't understand how Google hasn't been hit by these sort of cases since day one. It is probably more well known and has huge pockets, and it exists to suck private information out of each and every one of us.



    Apple really does have a big bulls eye in the middle of their logo.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    This legal firm is interested in money, not privacy. If they were interested in privacy, they would have raised the issue in a public way before suing.



    The Wall Street Journal raised the issue publicly, and there has been no response from Apple, the app developers, or the advertising companies. The only way to really find out what they are doing is to take them to court.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,153member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post


    The fear is that one good hacker or a greedy Apple employee could reveal the names behind the IDs



    This the whole point of UDIDs. Apple uses serial numbers, which are not accessible by the developers, to associate the device with the buyer. UDID is only used to identify the uniqueness of each device for developers use. There shouldn't be any personal information associated with UDIDs on Apple servers.



    Quote:

    the catch is that folks don't understand who is getting the info. Especially when it is outside of iAds. My proposal is this. All ad supported apps should be required to have a splash screen that comes up the first time the app is installed that clearly states the source of the ads, what information is gathered and requires you to 'approve' the ads to continue. If you don't agree, you remove the app and nothing from that session has been gathered. I would also love if all ad supported apps were required to have a buyout so users can pay one time and no ads but I don't see them doing that



    This already exist. Pandora does have license agreement that said exactly that but don't mention the source of the ads. I don't thing it really matters from where the ads come. Beside, if the user gave his personal information without reading the terms and understanding how his personal information will be used then it is his mistake for being an idiot.
  • Reply 39 of 47
    magicjmagicj Posts: 406member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post


    Well.. the UDID is not a users data, it is a device ID and has nothing to do with the user. Apple in their documentations instruct developers not to permanently associate the UDID with the user.



    The UUID is absolutely the user's data. The user owns the device, not Apple.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    I think this is more about trying to get $$$ than anything else... Apple does more for privacy than anyone else.



    For a breakdown, read the response they gave to Rep. Markey on the privacy changes last June.



    http://bit.ly/gSA5Gy (Adobe PDF file)
Sign In or Register to comment.