Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    edit: Pipped by bobringer.
  • Reply 22 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

It makes no sense to me either.

There is no reason for Apple to preannounce the iPad 2. They will announce and will need enough inventory for immediate shipment (or within a week) to select markets, with a staggered rollout to the rest of the world over months.

That's probably a two-month production ramp and it's unlikely that a new iPad has already been in production for a month for a January launch. Most likely, Apple's manufacturing partners will ramp iPad 2 production starting January for a mid-March launch; they will lose about two weeks of production in early February because the factories will be shut down for the Chinese lunar new year.

There's certainly reason to preannounce. An announcement 2 days before Motorola announces their Android based tablet would certainly take all the wind out of Motrola's sales. Or... how about make the announcement on the day the Playbook is released?

Apple has a habit of taking a big fat dump on competitors announcements in this way. Last year was a whole lot of fun watching them punt to Balmer... let Balmer commit to his crap product on stage, and then a week later say "ok, they had their fun... but here's the right way to do things."
  • Reply 23 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

edit: Pipped by bobringer.

Yes, but your post was dead on and had links to back it up ;-)
  • Reply 24 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

Why do people think the new iPad will be announced in January? Apple quit Macworld so they could STOP announcing new products right after Christmas.

Apple can announce the iPad 2 anytime after Jan 28, and not be faced with any massive XMAS returns.

Apple may not need to announce in January -- but they could, to keep ahead of competition.

Then, there is the fine art of balancing channel inventory and production to meet projected customer demand -- all the while complicated by EOLing the current line and introducing a follow-on.

AIR, Apple likes to keep 2-3 weeks of inventory in the channel.

So, assuming the channel is in balance, ramping down in December suggests an announcement/availability in late January - early February.

A further complication may be what Apple decides to offer as an entry model -- based on the iPhone, it will be a low-end (or mid) iPad 1 -- which one? WiFi only? WiFi + 3G? Both?

In another thread I discussed the possibility that the iPad could be repurposed for specialty uses/markets. If this is true, the iPad manufacturing could be ramping down, while ramping up for for new iPads and new iDevices with similar size displays -- the rumored 65 million displays on order for 2011.
  • Reply 25 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

Hey, I think Amazon has created a product that fits the marketplace. It's a good deal cheaper than an iPad, so it can be treated more casually. (Like, uh, reading in the tub. Or even taking it on a NYC subway - I might be nervous with an iPad there.)

On the other hand, it won't do everything an iPad can do. It's not color, just for basics, and you wouldn't surf the web with it. It's not a substitute PC.

Each product has its strengths, each has its place. No one's the loser here.

Good points, but I for one am trying to pare down my digital equipment....too many cables and chargers. All I want is my iPhone 4 which is my camera, GPS (TomTom) Video camera, iPod, Nike GPS, etc., etc., all in one unit. A second gen wifi only iPad (I have my iPhone 4 for 3G) and maybe an 11" MBA, my wireless Brother MFCW795 printer, an ATV/NetFlix plus a 60" flat screen TV and I'm done.

I'm really tired of all these one trick ponies and their cables, pwr bricks, etc. Anyway, when I leave the house on my day off or for a run...I take my iPhone 4. When I leave the house on a business day I may take my iPad/MBA and my iPhone and I'm ready to conquer the world or at least least get thru the day!
  • Reply 26 of 54
    I can't believe so many of you have gotten suckered into the so-called Kindle against the ipad war.

This is misleading, twisted reporting at its best.
  • Reply 27 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobringer View Post

There's certainly reason to preannounce. An announcement 2 days before Motorola announces their Android based tablet would certainly take all the wind out of Motrola's sales. Or... how about make the announcement on the day the Playbook is released?

Apple has a habit of taking a big fat dump on competitors announcements in this way. Last year was a whole lot of fun watching them punt to Balmer... let Balmer commit to his crap product on stage, and then a week later say "ok, they had their fun... but here's the right way to do things."

Ultimately, it's the product quality and customer satisfaction that wins sales, not the timing of the announcement.

Apple has no idea what Ballmer (or anyone else) is gonna say if they've booked Yerba Buena Center for a media event within a week. And it's not like they can change their product design in a few days. All these companies believe that what they are bringing to the customers is great. The customers will vote with their dollars.

I just don't seeing Apple announce two days before Motorola (or after) for a product that won't ship for a couple of months. The initial iPhone and iPad were one-off deals. Everything else has been, "here is it, come and get it" (or "place your order, it'll ship next week").

Preannouncing iPad 2 by a couple of months would depress sales of the current model. That's far more important than a game of one-upsmanship with the competition.
  • Reply 28 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Good points, but I for one am trying to pare down my digital equipment....too many cables and chargers.

I'm with you. It's not just the excessive amounts of hardware. It's also the amount of time I spend fiddling with this crap.

I fire up iTunes and update my iOS apps while I'm working out then I sync my iPod touch and iPad. Really easy, almost zero work. I don't have to download twenty different files from fifteen websites with different login credentials.

I'm looking for the Mac App Store to do the same for me.
  • Reply 29 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Ultimately, it's the product quality and customer satisfaction that wins sales, not the timing of the announcement.

[?]

Preannouncing iPad 2 by a couple of months would depress sales of the current model. That's far more important than a game of one-upsmanship with the competition.

Sure, that win sales, but proper timing can maximize sales. That?s the difference.

Apple is in a unique position, especially with the iPad, that they allows them to not have to rush to market their products. While the HW was finalized, there are still plenty of ways Apple can focus a special event. You can be certain they will monitor what comes out of CES and defend or attack as best suits their needs. This is business, which is the same as saying war.

As for pre-announcing products, do you realize Apple is has done this as long as I can remember, but that it?s also a viable strategy for companies and products that have mind share. The worst case scenarios are vapourware to detract customers from your competitors, but Apple demos a physical product live on stage. The worst offense from the new Apple seems to be withdrawing a feature from Mac OS X.
  • Reply 30 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Good news: We've sold a lot of e-readers and currently keeping up with iPad sales.

Bad news: We've had to drastically cut prices on our product to do so.

They really fit two different ereader niches. I don't see why the Kindle would suffer significantly. The kindle is the best for fiction. The iPad is the best for references, text books, and magazines. The only place where the Kindle suffers is that it can't do more then ebooks like the iPad. Some people may only buy the iPad because they want one device and are okay with the limitations of a universal tool over a dedicated one.
  • Reply 31 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Apple can announce the iPad 2 anytime after Jan 28, and not be faced with any massive XMAS returns.

There is a 14 day return policy on HW (30 days for the iPhone). So even last minute December 24th shoppers would have only until January 7th to return their iPad.

Even if the iPad 2: Electric USBoogaloo was announced and released on January 6th, the first day of CES it would still only be users who bought the iPad no earlier than the day before Xmas and who are willing to pay a 10% restocking fee who could return it.

I don’t see many people doing that as most people don’t seem to require the latest and greatest tech like we do. Despite some who think that sales would be fatally hurt if Apple announced a product and didn’t ship it that day, there are plenty of examples to that fact, evidence that even old stock thrives even after the new products are released (sometimes with a higher than retail price point), and a potential causation to suggest the time between announcement and release may grow as Apple has an exponentially increased hardship trying to keep leaks to a minimize as their mindshare and unit sales increase.

PS: Is XMAS an acronym for eXtensible Marketing to Acquire Sales?
  • Reply 32 of 54
    Quote:

Sure, that win sales, but proper timing can maximize sales. That’s the difference.

Apple is in a unique position, especially with the iPad, that they allows them to not have to rush to market their products. While the HW was finalized, there are still plenty of ways Apple can focus a special event. You can be certain they will monitor what comes out of CES and defend or attack as best suits their needs. This is business, which is the same as saying war.

As for pre-announcing products, do you realize Apple is has done this as long as I can remember, but that it’s also a viable strategy for companies and products that have mind share. The worst case scenarios are vapourware to detract customers from your competitors, but Apple demos a physical product live on stage. The worst offense from the new Apple seems to be withdrawing a feature from Mac OS X.

Well, as an AAPL shareholder, I trust that Apple will decide what they think is best.

I certainly don't think they're perfect, but if I'm going to have an issue with someone, I would start with the other 1999 companies in the Russell 2000.

Why don't those guys deliver like Apple? And why are we paying those CEOs so much? Jobs gets $1 a year.
  • Reply 33 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archos View Post

No doubt the TRUTH is that Apple is drastically scaling back orders because nobody is buying the iPad, and everyone is flocking to the Kindle instead. Thanks for the "inference," troll.

1 - The iPad was introduced as a substitute for NetBooks, not Kindles.

2 - Apple has sold 21 million iPads since April 13, 2010 and the forecast per DigiTimes today is for 65 million in 2011 in an article posted yesterday.

3 - Netbook sales in 2009 were 32.2 million and in 2010 are estimated at 33.4 million per USA Today in an article also posted yesterday.

4 - According the "The Daily Feed" on Dec 22, Amazon will sell about 5 million Kindles in 2010

There is no way to really compare Kindles and iPads and there is also no way that the iPad is anything but an incredible, game changing success. I dont think Apple ever thought the iPad would replace the Kindle. Personally the iPad is all I need and i read a lot of books on my iPad (the majority downloaded from the iPad Kindle App) and newspapers and magazines on my iPad and there are others who like the Kindle better but that doesnt make the iPad or the Kindle failures. They are both game changers and both have their attractive features, price points, etc.
  • Reply 34 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Good points, but I for one am trying to pare down my digital equipment....too many cables and chargers.

Wife and I. 27" iMac, wifi iPad, 2 iPhones.

My wife does her freelance graphic design work on the iMac. It is also our tv when she has down time (dropped cable so we just watch Netflix, iTunes, and other web content). I do my heavy duty stuff (finances, web work, etc) on the iMac. Handles updates for iDevices as well.

While she is using the imac, I can use the iPad to surf, email, set up appointments and dates, etc. Watch Netflix, listen to pandora and slacker, read my favorite source of news, rumors etc. Writing this post on the iPad now. Plus some mild work using numbers and other apps. On a trip, we take it with us and find a wifi hot spot to use it for news reading extensive email writing, etc. Show photos to friends and family on the device or on web when connected.

iPhones. One for each of us. Use these as expected while on the go. Access to web, phone, email, skype for international calls, etc. Plus camera, video and much much more.

MobileMe to keep everything synced with no fuss, no muss. Plus back up crucial files to iDisk ad host wife's website.

That's it. It works with a minimum or fuss. It's money making, entertainment, social, productivity, you name it. Uncle Steve, you rock. You're getting everything right for us non-geeks so ignore the haters and keep on keeping on.
  • Reply 35 of 54
    Quote:

There is a 14 day return policy on HW (30 days for the iPhone). So even last minute December 24th shoppers would have only until January 7th to return their iPad.

Even if the iPad 2: Electric USBoogaloo was announced and released on January 6th, the first day of CES it would still only be users who bought the iPad no earlier than the day before Xmas and who are willing to pay a 10% restocking fee who could return it.

I don?t see many people doing that as most people don?t seem to require the latest and greatest tech like we do. Despite some who think that sales would be fatally hurt if Apple announced a product and didn?t ship it that day, there are plenty of examples to that fact, evidence that even old stock thrives even after the new products are released (sometimes with a higher than retail price point), and a potential causation to suggest the time between announcement and release may grow as Apple has an exponentially increased hardship trying to keep leaks to a minimize as their mindshare and unit sales increase.

PS: Is XMAS an acronym for eXtensible Marketing to Acquire Sales?

LOL at that last.

I believe some iPad resellers offer more liberal return policies than Apple.

But, you are correct, that most iPad buyers won't necessarily know that a new iPad is expected, and will have little buyers remorse.

We were going to get my granddaughter an iPad for XMAS (the X represents a cross), but she was fooling around smashed my daughters iPhone 3GS. As a lesson, we made her pay for a replacement. We all gave her some money for XMAS, in hopes that she would pay off her debt first. She did!

The good news is that her birthday is Jan 27 (she'll be 15). She told me she still wants an iPad! I 'splained to her that it might be best to wait -- as a newer version might be announced/available (at the same price) about the time of her bday...

She thinks that's an excellent idea!

So, I have a responsible granddaughter who is also a savvy buyer!
  • Reply 36 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AllanF View Post

1 - The iPad was introduced as a substitute for NetBooks, not Kindles.

2 - Apple has sold 21 million iPads since April 13, 2010 and the forecast per DigiTimes today is for 65 million in 2011 in an article posted yesterday.

3 - Netbook sales in 2009 were 32.2 million and in 2010 are estimated at 33.4 million per USA Today in an article also posted yesterday.

4 - According the "The Daily Feed" on Dec 22, Amazon will sell about 5 million Kindles in 2010

There is no way to really compare Kindles and iPads and there is also no way that the iPad is anything but an incredible, game changing success. I dont think Apple ever thought the iPad would replace the Kindle. Personally the iPad is all I need and i read a lot of books on my iPad (the majority downloaded from the iPad Kindle App) and newspapers and magazines on my iPad and there are others who like the Kindle better but that doesnt make the iPad or the Kindle failures. They are both game changers and both have their attractive features, price points, etc.

The last iPad numbers I read were about 7.5 million units sold through September 2010. Are you saying that Apple sold 13.5 million iPads in the last quarter?

Do you have a citation?

Most estimates I've read suggest total 2010 iPad sales of 11-14 million units.
  • Reply 37 of 54
    Dick's right. The number I've seen recently batted around for 2010 iPad sales is 16 million.

Where is this 21 million figure coming from?
  • Reply 38 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archos View Post

No doubt the TRUTH is that Apple is drastically scaling back orders because nobody is buying the iPad, and everyone is flocking to the Kindle instead. Thanks for the "inference," troll.

iFan panties in a know alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"It's not clear if this number includes the iPad"

Nope because according the AI the iPad is a computer and should not be compared/classified as an e-reader.

Quick question though, how do I delete photos off of my iPad with our hooking it up to a computer....or umm I mean another computer since the iPad is a computer and not a e-reader?????
  • Reply 39 of 54
    So The Kindle is selling well. Good for Amazon. It's a really good ebook reader.

Apple shouldn't really care though... right? I mean who would not buy an iPad because they have a Kindle?

I can see not buying an iPad for other reasons, but just because you already wanted a Kindle doesn't seem like a good reason. They don't really compete against each other.
  • Reply 40 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntercr View Post

So The Kindle is selling well. Good for Amazon. It's a really good ebook reader.

Apple shouldn't really care though... right? I mean who would not buy an iPad because they have a Kindle?

I can see not buying an iPad for other reasons, but just because you already wanted a Kindle doesn't seem like a good reason. They don't really compete against each other.

I dunno. I was interested in the original Kindle but not enough to seriously consider buying. The Kindle2 was better, but I still waited, thinking that I might well get on board if the next version upped the bar more. Then the iPad came out, and killed my personal interest in the Kindle hardware. I haven't bought an iPad and I'm not perfectly sure that I will, but certainly it made it so I won't be satisfied for anything as narrow as a Kindle.

I get the argument that they're not direct competitors, but neither are they orthogonal to each other.