Report: Apple slows iPad production, Kindle matches shipments

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobringer View Post

I hear Microsoft is ramping up production of the Kinect to 1.6 Million units per month, while the New Jersey Cranberry Association is CUTTING production to 1.6 Million pounds of cranberries.

So true , so true.

And this should squash those on here who insist Kindles are DOOMED!
  • Reply 42 of 54
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Maybe it quit Macworld for a variety of reasons, including it cost Apple tens of millions of dollars to host the show and marketing return for the dollar was no longer there considering it now has hundreds of retail stores giving it greater return.

By the way, Apple still announces product in January. I think the original iPad was announced in January after Apple withdrew from Macworld. Apple now doesn't have pressure to release products on a time schedule.

Further, I think sites like this one ruined Macworld because towards the last few Macworlds there were no more surprises and that defeated the whole purpose of the show. The rumors would become so crazy if Apple failed to deliver on a rumor its stock would take a hit and people would be disappointed Apple didn't deliver on what rumor sites said it would.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

Why do people think the new iPad will be announced in January? Apple quit Macworld so they could STOP announcing new products right after Christmas.

• Reply 43 of 54
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AllanF View Post

1 - The iPad was introduced as a substitute for NetBooks, not Kindles.

2 - Apple has sold 21 million iPads since April 13, 2010 and the forecast per DigiTimes today is for 65 million in 2011 in an article posted yesterday.

3 - Netbook sales in 2009 were 32.2 million and in 2010 are estimated at 33.4 million per USA Today in an article also posted yesterday.

4 - According the "The Daily Feed" on Dec 22, Amazon will sell about 5 million Kindles in 2010

There is no way to really compare Kindles and iPads and there is also no way that the iPad is anything but an incredible, game changing success. I dont think Apple ever thought the iPad would replace the Kindle. Personally the iPad is all I need and i read a lot of books on my iPad (the majority downloaded from the iPad Kindle App) and newspapers and magazines on my iPad and there are others who like the Kindle better but that doesnt make the iPad or the Kindle failures. They are both game changers and both have their attractive features, price points, etc.

The big story here is Kindle App versus iBooks. The iPad made Amazon the e-book winner all-around.
  • Reply 44 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

The last iPad numbers I read were about 7.5 million units sold through September 2010. Are you saying that Apple sold 13.5 million iPads in the last quarter?

Do you have a citation?

Most estimates I've read suggest total 2010 iPad sales of 11-14 million units.

I saw that somewhere today but I just reread the DigiTimes article and they are saying that vendors shipped about 16.8 million iPad touch panels so maybe 16 million is right. BTW it sure is interesting to do a search for # of iPads shipped in 2010 and read the forecasts back in April - most of them around 5-7 million for 2010 and some lower. I seem to recall forecasts as low as 3 million at the time. I dont think Amazon officially reports Kindle unit sales so that figure is also a guess by someone.
  • Reply 45 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobringer View Post

I hear Microsoft is ramping up production of the Kinect to 1.6 Million units per month, while the New Jersey Cranberry Association is CUTTING production to 1.6 Million pounds of cranberries.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I suppose that depends upon the size of your girl friend. Some girls would have problems getting stuffed into a Mini!!!! We are talking tall girls here guys, your can quiet your dirty minds right now...

No worries, not-that-tall heavy girls need loving too. Nothing "dirty" about that.
  • Reply 46 of 54
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The other missing part of this rather slim article (slim by Dilger's standards, anyway) is why anyone should believe Mingchi Kuo (which is the correct spelling according to Google).

What's his track record? Why is he more credible? All I saw was an estimate by Kuo in a Forbes article:

http://www.forbes.com/2010/12/23/ipa...ts-misses.html

The other thing... this guy was head analyst at DigiTimes. Why does AI have such a you-know-what for DigiTimes? Do you guys have some kind of revenue sharing agreement, or affiliate program that pays AI for clicks? To be blunt, I add a huge discount to every story that comes down the tubes from AI these days. The click-baiting is really getting old.

EVERYBODY quotes Digitimes. They're one of the few publications based in Asia that does this kind of thing. They're right about half the time. Whether that's random or not, I don't know, though it seems ok.

Unless iPad sales are through the roof, it's likely that the end of December is a likely time to ramp down, as the March quarter is the slowest one, and if Apple kept up with sales, they may have enough in the pipeline to cut production and still not fall short.

I think we also have to remember that when the iPad first was announced, Apple had to move sales back about a month because of unexpectedly high Pre ordering, which overwhelmed their forecasts. Because of that, it's possible that Apple will introduce the new tablet earlier than expected, now that they have an understanding of demand. It could be that the original intention was to start sales of the tablet in February. If so, then that's possible for the new one. We hear so many different readings of what Apple has been ordering, how much, and when the ordering and production began, that it's difficult to know what's true, and some of it undoubtedly is.

I understand that Apple would announce a new product two or even three months before it arrives; the iPhone was announced six months early. But, once they have product selling, they wouldn't announce new product so far in advance, because, as we know, it would kill sales of current product. While those of us who follow Apple know what to expect in new product introductions, most people don't. So they keep buying until the day of the new product's arrival. But if Apple makes an announcement, then everyone will know, and it won't just be people like us that will wait.

This makes me think that if it's true that Apple is cutting down, it could be true that the new model will be out in February.

That's the logical deduction based on information that may or may not be correct, and that's how much it's worth. But if the info we've been getting over the past two months or so are correct, so will be my estimate.
  • Reply 47 of 54
    Quote:

I suppose that depends upon the size of your girl friend. Some girls would have problems getting stuffed into a Mini!!!! We are talking tall girls here guys, your can quiet your dirty minds right now.

As a side note I can't justify having two vehicles. I can however see a reason to have both a Kindle and an iPad.

I use my iPad to read books a good deal of the time. I wouldn't buy a Kindle because other than when I'm home, reading in bed, I usually want the iPad for reading and it's other functions. That would mean I'd have to take both with me wherever I go, and that's worse than taking either. Therefor, it's the iPad.

Since I bought the iPad beginning of May I've bought five or six dozen books, and about the same number of free ones. A fair number of them can't be used on the Kindle, such as the scanned PDF's that Google has done. There's about a million of those out there, and I've found books I can't get otherwise.

So for folks who can't afford the iPad, or mostly want a tablet for reading regular books, I'd recommend the Kindle. But otherwise, no. While the IPad is heavier, it's really not that bad. But the many advantages overwhelm the Kindle, even for just reading books.
  • Reply 48 of 54
    [QUOTE=Dick Applebaum;1775100]Apple can announce the iPad 2 anytime after Jan 28, and not be faced with any massive XMAS returns.(/quote)

As you likely know, that's a reason given as to why Verizon and Apple won't be announcing, and providing the iPhone earlier. It's feared that people would be returning their Android and BB's if the 30 day return period wasn't over. I doubt if Apple would have the same problem.
  • Reply 49 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

I can't believe so many of you have gotten suckered into the so-called Kindle against the ipad war.

This is misleading, twisted reporting at its best.

It's really not. While some people will buy both, many people will buy one or the other. The iPad IS a bookreader as is the Kindle. It just does a lot more. Faced with the costs of purchase of both, many people will be forced into buying one of them. Which one will they buy?

No one can say that their markets don't cross. Of course they do. Looking at the stats about this, we see that a year ago, the Kindle had 68% of share in the book reader market, but now it's down to 47%. As a bookreader, more people in the last survey said they were going to buy an iPad instead of a Kindle. The comparison is very apt. I wish people would stop pretending that it isn't. I would have bought a Kindle at some point if there was no iPad, and I know others who have told me the same thing. I'm sure we're not unique.

Ok. just found the book mark for the info I mentioned.

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/11/30...ader-category/

Of course, we have no idea how many Kindles Amazon has sold, or how they work their own stats, so I take some of their statements with some salt.
  • Reply 50 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AllanF View Post

1 - The iPad was introduced as a substitute for NetBooks, not Kindles.

2 - Apple has sold 21 million iPads since April 13, 2010 and the forecast per DigiTimes today is for 65 million in 2011 in an article posted yesterday.

3 - Netbook sales in 2009 were 32.2 million and in 2010 are estimated at 33.4 million per USA Today in an article also posted yesterday.

4 - According the "The Daily Feed" on Dec 22, Amazon will sell about 5 million Kindles in 2010

There is no way to really compare Kindles and iPads and there is also no way that the iPad is anything but an incredible, game changing success. I dont think Apple ever thought the iPad would replace the Kindle. Personally the iPad is all I need and i read a lot of books on my iPad (the majority downloaded from the iPad Kindle App) and newspapers and magazines on my iPad and there are others who like the Kindle better but that doesnt make the iPad or the Kindle failures. They are both game changers and both have their attractive features, price points, etc.

Apple's sales of the iPad are more like 14 million. It's not likely they will sell close to 65 million next year, hopefully 30 - 35 million. If they sell more, I'll rejoice.

They ARE selling it as a bookreader. Jobs even said that when comparing it to the Kindle.
  • Reply 51 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Maybe it quit Macworld for a variety of reasons, including it cost Apple tens of millions of dollars to host the show and marketing return for the dollar was no longer there considering it now has hundreds of retail stores giving it greater return.

FWIW, Apple never hosted MacWorld. It was and still is run by IDS. Apple's participation was in the form of an exhibit, and of course the Stevenote. I doubt those cost the company tens of millions. What it did do is force Apple to have something notable to roll out every January. Sometimes they didn't have a blockbuster on offer, and the natives got restless. I attended a couple of keynotes like that, and it wasn't a pretty sight. We also heard rumblings that Steve was angry with getting a less than warm reception from the audience in those cases.

Also, Apple's relationship with IDS wasn't great. The first big dispute we know about was over the location of the East Coast event, back when they still ran one. Apple wanted New York and IDS wanted Boston. It all kind of went downhill from there.
  • Reply 52 of 54
    When I read the article the first thought that came to my mind was that sales would reduce after Xmas, so production should reduce as well.
  • Reply 53 of 54
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

Quick question though, how do I delete photos off of my iPad with our hooking it up to a computer....or umm I mean another computer since the iPad is a computer and not a e-reader?????

If the picture originated from the iPad such as saved from an email, camera card, or web page then it can be deleted. On the other hand if the picture originated from a sync with your computer, it can only be removed by means of another sync with that computer.
  • Reply 54 of 54
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

It is sort of like comparing Pickup truck sales to Mini sales.

By inference, iPad = Pickup. FAIL.

1. Too heavy: OK there have been some complaints.

2. Poor mileage: Incorrect

3. Lousy to drive: Incorrect

4. Poor resale value: Incorrect

I prefer to compare the iPad to the BMW M3. Now bring on the GTS!!!

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/11/04/bmw-m3-gts-unveiled/