Purported next-gen iPad cases being taken down

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Cases purported to be for Apple's next-generation iPad that were posted to a Chinese trade site are being removed after the site received a "legitimate takedown request," possibly lending credence to their authenticity, according to a new report.



Earlier this week, international business-to-business trading site Alibaba.com received a request to remove the case listings, The Wall Street Journal reports.



?We do not know whether these products are what they say they are, but we have received a legitimate takedown request and are removing the listings,? Alibaba Group spokesman John Spelich told the Journal, though he declined to comment on the source of the request.



Early this month, cases allegedly for the second-generation iPad with space for a rear-facing camera and a mysterious cutout on the bottom near the speaker were spotted online.



After a Japanese Mac blog posted a report that the next-generation of Apple's successful tablet device would have a flat back and wide-range speaker, leaked cases advertised as for the "iPad 2" were discovered on Alibaba.com with illustrations of an enlarged speaker grille on the back of the device.







According to the Journal report, several listings for the case had been taken down by Friday, though at least two remained as of Friday afternoon in Beijing. Spelich said the company is working on removing all the listings.



A man who answered the phone for one of the case suppliers contacted by the Journal said that his company works with Apple manufacturer Hon Hai Precision Industry and possesses first hand material on the features of the new iPad, calling the case design "extremely accurate." The man declined to give his name, saying the matter was "very serious."



Hon Hai spokespeople denied connections between the company and the Alibaba.com case listings and called the case supplier's remarks "hostile."



Reports of the second-generation iPad have gained momentum as of late. Earlier this week, one industry insider suggested that the upcoming tablet will include a USB port. Another report suggested that Apple plans to build Wi-Fi, UMTS and CDMA models of the next iPad.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 32
    successsuccess Posts: 1,039member
    First bitches!





    Now why doesn't someone post the pics.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Perhaps this is a bit nerdy, but every time I read about some company/site removing some purported info on an unreleased product I think of Ender?s Game when they discovered the Formics were on Eros by the asteroid disappearing as the Formics hid themselves from view. IOW, this is a confirmation that those case designs are for the next iPad.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post


    First bitches!



    That?s one way to kick off 2011.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    It's almost time for someone to accidentally leave an "iPad" in a bar...
  • Reply 4 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post


    It's almost time for someone to accidentally leave an "iPad" in a bar...



    That tactic has already been done. No sense repeating it.



    BTW, why are all you guys browsing AI on New Years Eve? Isn't it party time?



    Goodnight folks.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Perhaps this is a bit nerdy, but every time I read about some company/site removing some purported info on an unreleased product I think of Ender?s Game when they discovered the Formics were on Eros by the asteroid disappearing as the Formics hid themselves from view. IOW, this is a confirmation that those case designs are for the next iPad.



    A "bit" nerdy?
  • Reply 6 of 32
    Of course it is nerdy! Don't be afraid to embrace your inner geek! Blizzard did it, and look at what they are now!



    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...-offices.ars/1



    On topic...gimme wireless syncing, a gigabyte of RAM, dual-core processor and AAA games and I'll trade in my macbook pro for it! (Yeah, not going to happen, at least not in this generation..)



    But without a mouse, how would I play World of Warcraft? hummm..



    In all seriousness, Blizzard should make a mouse accessory for the iPad that is open, so AAA games will flood the iPad and help it rule the world
  • Reply 7 of 32
    History repeating.. iPhone 4 cases taking down... remember ?
  • Reply 8 of 32
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,174member
    My question in all this is why Apple wasn't called out by name . I mean it has to have been Apple right. They are the only ones that would want the photos out of circulation. But the articles are all very vague and make it sound like it could have been the case company who got leaked and wanted it stopped. however that doesn,t make a lot of sense when you consider that the case company is the most likely source of the photos



    The whole thing just really makes me doubt the story. Not the cases, they could be correct even if the interpretation is not. But the claim of some kind of cease and desist demand could be made up. If Apple sites etc are good about anything it is getting their ire up over rejections, 'censorship' etc. So claiming you were hand slapped is a great way to get everyone to talk about you and make them folk to see your next leak before it too is forced down.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    gary54gary54 Posts: 169member
    Rumors have it that the new iPad with have a teletransporter! Who needs video conferencing when you can instantly transport yourself and talk to the person .. in person! Making telephones obsolete overnight!
  • Reply 10 of 32
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,457member
    Yay! Rear camera! World's first largest most FaceTimey digital big-screen view camera! (Before anyone complains about how 'awkward' a rear camera will be on an iPad.)
  • Reply 11 of 32
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Perhaps this is a bit nerdy, but every time I read about some company/site removing some purported info on an unreleased product I think of Ender?s Game when they discovered the Formics were on Eros by the asteroid disappearing as the Formics hid themselves from view. IOW, this is a confirmation that those case designs are for the next iPad.







    That?s one way to kick off 2011.



    I need to read that book again; it's been a few years. I probably read it twenty times between the ages of 13 and 20.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    Considering the official announcement regarding the next iPad is mere days away (not official yet but no doubt it will come this month), these reports are much ado about nothing.



    Not sure which report claimed there would be a USB port but the one I read (forget where) also claimed the next iPad would be a 7" model with a Retina display.



    Considering Jobs only recently made a point of publicly ridiculing the 7" form factor (something about filing the ends of your fingers) clearly a 7" iPad is a no-go. And as for a 7" Retina Display, you've got to be kidding. That much density in such a large screen would involve a screen that in itself would cost far more than the retail price of a current iPad.



    The new iPad will likely be so thin that a USB port simply won't fit.



    Faster processor, lighter design, maybe 3G standard, better battery life, some sort of camera, certainly for Facetime, maybe for filming. These are all probable. No need for inside information to know that's coming just as you don't need inside info to know it's not going to have a 7" screen etc.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post


    Considering the official announcement regarding the next iPad is mere days away (not official yet but no doubt it will come this month), these reports are much ado about nothing.



    Why? Do you have ANY reason to think this? The last iPad came out in April. The announcement and simultaneous release of the 2nd gen iPad is therefore incredibly likely to be ALSO in April.



    iDevices get one update a year, every year, on the year.



    Quote:

    Not sure which report claimed there would be a USB port but the one I read (forget where) also claimed the next iPad would be a 7" model with a Retina display.



    FaceTime camera? Sure. 7"? So not happening. And Retina 7? Ha! You're absolutely right.



    Quote:

    The new iPad will likely be so thin that a USB port simply won't fit.



    I don't get what's wrong with all these people. IT ALREADY HAS A USB PORT.



    Quote:

    Faster processor, lighter design, maybe 3G standard, better battery life, some sort of camera, certainly for Facetime, maybe for filming. These are all probable. No need for inside information to know that's coming just as you don't need inside info to know it's not going to have a 7" screen etc.



    Bingo.



    And I hate that emoticon. Drop whatever he's puffing and keep the glasses.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Why? Do you have ANY reason to think this? The last iPad came out in April. The announcement and simultaneous release of the 2nd gen iPad is therefore incredibly likely to be ALSO in April.



    iDevices get one update a year, every year, on the year..



    The iDevices running iOS haven?t been getting simultaneous announcements and releases. So fasr we have little precedent with the iPad expect that it was announced in January and released in April. It?s not exactly a pattern, but it is something. The iPhone gets a good lead time, too, but it also comes with the new version of iOS where devs need to ready themselves. The iPod Touch is irrelevant as it?s been following the iPhone after several months with the same basic HW and OS as that year?s iPhone.



    Quote:

    I don't get what's wrong with all these people. IT ALREADY HAS A USB PORT.



    It has USB protocol for data but it has no USB ?port?. This is an important distinction.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    USB port- YES! Much more versatile- the original iPad is beginning to look more and more like a dinosaur.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    The iDevices running iOS haven?t been getting simultaneous announcements and releases.



    Sure they have. iPods are announced in September and released the same day. The iPhone is announced at WWDC and released less than a month later (okay, not simultaneous, but at the same time every year). The iPad will be announced and released in April. It was only announced in advance because Apple doesn't make anything else like it. Same with the first iPhone; six month early announcement.



    Quote:

    It has USB protocol for data but it has no USB ?port?. This is an important distinction.



    30-pin USB is USB. They won't do it because they don't WANT people having extra storage, et. al.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post


    USB port- YES! Much more versatile- the original iPad is beginning to look more and more like a dinosaur.



    Has a USB port already.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Sure they have. iPods are announced in September and released the same day. The iPhone is announced at WWDC and released less than a month later (okay, not simultaneous, but at the same time every year). The iPad will be announced and released in April. It was only announced in advance because Apple doesn't make anything else like it. Same with the first iPhone; six month early announcement.



    1) I already stated why the iPod Touch is exempt when the major HW in the iPod Touch have already been out in the iPhone for months.



    2) You’ve proved my point with your acknowledgment of both the iPhone and iPad not being announced/demoed and released to market the same day.



    3) It’s one thing to say “I think Apple will announced/demo and release to market the next iPad on the same day” but you clearly stated this is how it’s been happening already when that is patently false.



    4) If Apple announces and releases the G2 iPad on the same day in April I’ll buy you one.



    Quote:

    30-pin USB is USB.



    That is not a "30-pin USB" port, that is Apple’s proprietary and licensable port interface.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    ... That is not a "30-pin USB" port, that is Apple?s proprietary and licensable port interface.



    I'm just assuming here, but I think the original poster's point was merely that the functionality already exists, despite the semantics of port description. Some subset of the pins of Apple's dock connector basically comprise a USB port. You can also buy an Apple branded dongle that allows for a USB port on the bottom of the device.



    The issue is the software and whether Apple allows you to use that USB port for this that or the other thing, which would still be the case regardless of whether a physical, recognisable USB port exists on the device.



    So ergo and ipso facto, people asking for a USB port on the iPad are indeed "asking for something that's already there" (in a sense) and should instead be asking for Apple to relax the restrictions in the software, not asking for a USB port to be added to the device per se.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    2) You?ve proved my point with your acknowledgment of both the iPhone and iPad not being announced/demoed and released to market the same day.



    The first iPhone was announced months before availability because there was nothing to cannibalize. All subsequent iPhones have been announced with the previous model either unavailable or for pre-order alongside the previous model, discounted. It stands to reason that the iPad will operate similarly.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    rp2011rp2011 Posts: 159member
    USB, camera, hopefully faster CPU, slightly smaller form factor.

    Yep I held off on the first gen, but will pre-order this thing when it becomes available.

    I currently own two smart phone which I will drop down to regular feature phones and take a 3g ipad2

    This second version will sell like hot cakes!
Sign In or Register to comment.