Apple admits New Year's alarm bug

24567

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 136
    But Blackberry was ready for Enterprise when it lost everybody's data?



    Methinks thou doth troll too much.
  • Reply 22 of 136
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post


    Not that Apple is not responsible, what weird bug in the code is there that is suddenly causing 1.1.2011 errors?



    Hmm. 1.1.11 error, maybe? Nah. It would have to be 01.01.11 to the device clock.
  • Reply 23 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post


    I've always set double alarms for any event that would be catastrophic to miss. My phone plus my vintage 1983 Panasonic clock radio.



    I wake up with only the clock radio for routine workdays (if I'm late one day it's not exactly catastrophe) but ALWAYS two alarms if I have something like a flight. It's only common sense!



    Wow, someone with a clue on AI.



    Let us celebrate! This is a momentous occasion!
  • Reply 24 of 136
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post


    But Blackberry was ready for Enterprise when it lost everybody's data?



    Methinks thou doth troll too much.



    As much as I am pissed about this ironically Apple stuff is still one of the most reliable. Windows and gaming on Windows is still a mess. BlackBerry may be enterprise oriented but not bulletproof, it's too archaic and ugly for many anyways.



    Free yourself from the burden of perfection. That's the message. But in Apple's case, they are doing well but they are not perfect, I wonder if they are too reliant on Steve calling all the shots all the time. But I'm rambling and this is pure speculation.
  • Reply 25 of 136
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post


    Hmm. 1.1.11 error, maybe? Nah. It would have to be 01.01.11 to the device clock.



    What's a 1.1.11 error exactly? Is it a coding thing?
  • Reply 26 of 136
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post


    I wouldn't want to be an Apple engineer right now.



    Once I can see, bugs get past everyone. Twice? Not a good way to start the new year with Steve.



    I'd hate to be Scott Forstall et al because there just goes his and everyone under him's new year celebrations. But that's why they still get the big bucks in this economy. All the best to them for iPhone in 2011... It's going to be demanding!!! (Not just because of the Clock app)
  • Reply 27 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post


    I've always set double alarms for any event that would be catastrophic to miss. My phone plus my vintage 1983 Panasonic clock radio.

    .



    I do the same thing. Learned the hard way. This is still BS though because you can't always do dual alarm, like when traveling, nor should you be expected to do so at all. I hope they fix it properly, seems like such a basic app.

    \
  • Reply 28 of 136
    peteropetero Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post


    What's a 1.1.11 error exactly? Is it a coding thing?



    Dare I say, Grasshopper, your eyes are open but you no see.





    Here's a twister: tomorrow, it's 2.1.11 in the UK, while it's 1.2.11 in the US.





    -- hey, don't wax too hard. I take comfort in this Fun Fact from the Mayo Clinic: there's a higher incidence of cranial vapour-lock come eggnog season.





    EDIT: Sorry nvidia2008, maybe it's me that's had too much eggnog...
  • Reply 29 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mimsyswallows View Post


    Is this the third time, or am I mis-remembering? What is so hard about doing the alarm app right?



    Ask Steve.
  • Reply 30 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post


    Apple: not ready for the enterprise.



    You aren't serious. Are you?
  • Reply 31 of 136
    dlcmhdlcmh Posts: 43member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post


    ... Windows and gaming on Windows is still a mess. ...



    Curious, but why do you think gaming on Windows is a mess?
  • Reply 32 of 136
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dlcmh View Post


    Curious, but why do you think gaming on Windows is a mess?



    Edit: On my iPhone now. Will type when I use my iPad in a few hours time. Boy do I have something to say about gaming on Windows.
  • Reply 33 of 136
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PeterO View Post


    Dare I say, Grasshopper, your eyes are open but you no see.





    Here's a twister: tomorrow, it's 2.1.11 in the UK, while it's 1.2.11 in the US.





    -- hey, don't wax too hard. I take comfort in this Fun Fact from the Mayo Clinic: there's a higher incidence of cranial vapour-lock come eggnog season.





    EDIT: Sorry nvidia2008, maybe it's me that's had too much eggnog...



    LOL maybe when you sober up you can clarify. There is an internal clock that has the unix day and time etc. No reason I can see why on a particular date, which so happens to be January 1 2011, that alarms suddenly stop working or that it suddenly forgets whether it is using US or UK time. Someone at Apple Forums mentioned this error occurs on Jan 1 2012 and some other years as well.
  • Reply 34 of 136
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dlcmh View Post


    Curious, but why do you think gaming on Windows is a mess?



    Gaming on Windows presents several challenges.



    You need to constantly update your drivers for various peripherals and especially the GPU. Updating a few times a month, and sometimes rolling back drivers are common "fixes".



    So many games nowadays are console ports and some are poorly done. NFS Hot Pursuit for example: I get some bad lags every few minutes. Turns out, once I disable the WiFi card (a latest PCI card) the lags are much less reduced.



    COD Black Ops is another recent offender. Takes several patches for the PC version to not have weird lags and stuttering, even then it isn't fixed for some people.



    Some titles are not optimised on PC so you have no antialiasing in certain games, it has to be forced through the driver, even then it doesn't work sometimes.



    DRM has reached the stage where many games require a permanent network connection even for single player games and it checks the server frequently. Complaints have been raised eg. for Ubisoft games where this network authentication is worse than Steam, which also ain't convenient some of the time.
  • Reply 35 of 136
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    I'm not surprised if somebody is preparing class action lawsuit already. Seems like they got sued for everything these days.

    It's just frustrating. My wife got up late today because of this and she had to take my mom to the hospital. Missed the appointment. (her old alarm clock just broke a couple of week ago)



    Btw, Happy New Year everyone.
  • Reply 36 of 136
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Luckily I am on holiday and nothing major or urgent. Also, I have had Nightstand HD for a while, but will use the alarm feature for the first time for tomorrow.



    Tomorrow is Jan 3rd, so I've set the normal alarm (non-repeating) and the Nightstand HD alarm.
  • Reply 37 of 136
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Bugs happen. It's impossible to catch every single one before a product hits the market. I think Apple generally does a very good at releasing quality software.



    However, what Apple are missing is a mechanism to deliver small but critical patches to consumers outside of the usual release cycle. I find it staggering that Apple knew about the last bug, had a fix but didn't release the fix until after the problem was affecting people.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post


    Gaming on Windows presents several challenges.



    <snip>



    To go waaaayy off topic, virtually everything you complain about is solved by installing Steam. Steam now supports automatic updating of drivers and most games publishers are happy to use Valve's user-friendly DRM.



    There's also a fantastic selection of indie games on Steam that are far more fun that trashy big budget releases like Need For Speed and Call of Duty: Black Ops.
  • Reply 38 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post


    Gaming on Windows presents several challenges.



    You need to constantly update your drivers for various peripherals and especially the GPU. Updating a few times a month, and sometimes rolling back drivers are common "fixes".



    So many games nowadays are console ports and some are poorly done. NFS Hot Pursuit for example: I get some bad lags every few minutes. Turns out, once I disable the WiFi card (a latest PCI card) the lags are much less reduced.



    COD Black Ops is another recent offender. Takes several patches for the PC version to not have weird lags and stuttering, even then it isn't fixed for some people.



    Some titles are not optimised on PC so you have no antialiasing in certain games, it has to be forced through the driver, even then it doesn't work sometimes.



    DRM has reached the stage where many games require a permanent network connection even for single player games and it checks the server frequently. Complaints have been raised eg. for Ubisoft games where this network authentication is worse than Steam, which also ain't convenient some of the time.



    All of your complaints basically apply to the the video game industry as such, not to Windows specifically. Or do you think it's fair to hold Windows/Microsoft responsible for the fact that gaming is migrating - and has been for years - to consoles? Because THAT'S the reason for most of the problems you listed, not Windows. Treyarch really screwed up with Black Ops, yeah, but that's because I'd guess 90% of Black Ops-copies are sold for consoles, so they probably didn't even bother with QC for the PC version.
  • Reply 39 of 136
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    It's hardly the end of the world, get over it.
  • Reply 40 of 136
    guch20guch20 Posts: 173member
    Don't set it that way.
Sign In or Register to comment.