Apple admits New Year's alarm bug

13567

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post


    It's hardly the end of the world, get over it.



    Unless it's software controlling a nuclear power plant, or something of similar significance, no software bug is "the end of the world" but I don't believe that that is an appropriate response to any software bug you may experience. - Can't print your spreadsheet? Your WP is corrupting images in your documents? Your music program won't play anything on the left channel? Your adventure game crashes every time you reach 100 points?



    None of these are the end of the world, so "get over it". I don't think so...



    At work I was assigned to checking all our code for Y2K issues and I also worked on the software for scheduling the BBC's London's radio broadcasts for the World service which happened across many, many different countries and time zones. We HAD to get it right or else the 6 O'Clock news for Shanghai could have been going out at 7 O'Clock



    The coding is complicated, but it IS totally knowable in advance. There is software in place to determine leap years, time zone change times in all countries around the world and it is absolutely predictable. Many bugs require a bunch of events to coincide to make them happen some of which are not easily predictable. Alarm clock apps are however completely testable in advance - for example, you could, right now, set the date/time on your iPhone to 23:59:55 on 31st December 2011 and your alarm for 00:01 on the 1st of January 2012 and see whether it works as it should. Easy. Always testing at boundary conditions is the of the first thing any competent programmer learns to check; alarms on the last day of a month, the first day of a year, the first day of a leap year, the 29th of February in a non leap year and so on.



    We know it can be done right because we coded it correctly for the BBC! This is clearly a breakdown in Apple's quality control, is clearly their fault - twice now - and they should fix it pronto when it's so high profile because so many people, including me, use iOS as their alarm and expect an alarm to work. And as the great Oscar Wilde wrote "To lose one parent may be regarded as a misfortune... to lose both seems like carelessness." Get to it Apple.
  • Reply 42 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parkettpolitur View Post


    All of your complaints basically apply to the the video game industry as such, not to Windows specifically. Or do you think it's fair to hold Windows/Microsoft responsible for the fact that gaming is migrating - and has been for years - to consoles? Because THAT'S the reason for most of the problems you listed, not Windows. Treyarch really screwed up with Black Ops, yeah, but that's because I'd guess 90% of Black Ops-copies are sold for consoles, so they probably didn't even bother with QC for the PC version.



    Microsft is to blame that they encourage their platform to be the fragmented mess it is that makes it so hard for developers to optimize their games. And that they hardly pay attention to PC gaming to bother doing something about it.



    Should developers get serious about Mac games and Apple continue to climb the mountain of GPUs and update OS X to freaking OpenGL 4, you would see much better optimized games. Not to mention Apple's APIs such as the Core Stuff and Grand Central. Oh, and OpenCL would be awesome as well.
  • Reply 43 of 136
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post


    Unless it's software controlling a nuclear power plant, or something of similar significance, no software bug is "the end of the world" but I don't believe that that is an appropriate response to any software bug you may experience. - Can't print your spreadsheet? Your WP is corrupting images in your documents? Your music program won't play anything on the left channel? Your adventure game crashes every time you reach 100 points?



    None of these are the end of the world, so "get over it". I don't think so...



    At work I was assigned to checking all our code for Y2K issues and I also worked on the software for scheduling the BBC's London's radio broadcasts for the World service which happened across many, many different countries and time zones. We HAD to get it right or else the 6 O'Clock news for Shanghai could have been going out at 7 O'Clock



    The coding is complicated, but it IS totally knowable in advance. There is software in place to determine leap years, time zone change times in all countries around the world and it is absolutely predictable. Many bugs require a bunch of events to coincide to make them happen some of which are not easily predictable. Alarm clock apps are however completely testable in advance - for example, you could, right now, set the date/time on your iPhone to 23:59:55 on 31st December 2011 and your alarm for 00:01 on the 1st of January 2012 and see whether it works as it should. Easy. Always testing at boundary conditions is the of the first thing any competent programmer learns to check; alarms on the last day of a month, the first day of a year, the first day of a leap year, the 29th of February in a non leap year and so on.



    We know it can be done right because we coded it correctly for the BBC! This is clearly a breakdown in Apple's quality control, is clearly their fault - twice now - and they should fix it pronto when it's so high profile because so many people, including me, use iOS as their alarm and expect an alarm to work. And as the great Oscar Wilde wrote "To lose one parent may be regarded as a misfortune... to lose both seems like carelessness." Get to it Apple.



    Perhaps you should abide by the old English idiom, "People in glass houses should not throw stones."
    Quote:

    BBC blames computer glitch for DJ's lack of pay



    The BBC has blamed a "computer glitch" for the fact that its leading DJ - overweight loudmouth Chris Moyles - hasn't been paid for two months.



    Moyles launched an on-air attack on BBC bosses whom he branded "morons" during his Radio 1. "It's a huge F U to me," he whined.



    "I haven't been paid since July. Why should I bother hauling my ass out of bed? Why should I come in to work? It's a huge lack of respect to me," Moyles compianed to his listener.



    "I know the name of the moron in this building responsible. I don't do this for free, you know," he said.



    http://www.thinq.co.uk/2010/9/23/bbc...ter-glitch-dj/



    By the way, is it true that your mum still has to remind you every week to take the refuse out?



    Perhaps you should get over it mate.
  • Reply 44 of 136
    I don't know if it's shameful. Slightly embarrassing might be a better way to describe it. Either way, it's a bug which iOS is nearly free of these days.



    The Meizu m9 poses a more immediate issue at the moment.
  • Reply 45 of 136
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    apple confirms that your alarm clock won't work on new years... and they confirm it in the evening on new years day. thanks for the heads-up!
  • Reply 46 of 136
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marokero View Post


    So it was a bug... I woke 30 min late today, thought I was late to this wedding I'm working today. C'mon, fix these alarm clock bugs already!



    Ditto, thank god I had no early gigs this weekend. Glad to see stock is down at least 1% today, these life-interrupting bugs are unacceptable.
  • Reply 47 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post


    It's hardly the end of the world, get over it.



    Many associate 11:11 with a wake-up code/alarm as they see it on digit clocks and watches. It can also be seen as a key to unlock the subconscious mind, our genetic encoded memories, that we are spirits having a physical experience, not physical beings embarking on a spiritual experience.



    11:11 or derivatives of these numbers, 111 and 11, are digits that repeat in time thus a metaphor for reality as patterns that repeat in time for us to experience. This can refer to the rise and fall of civilizations, our personal experiences and lessons, loops in time. They are cycles of time that create and recreate following the blueprint.



    http://www.crystalinks.com/11.11.html
  • Reply 48 of 136
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post


    It's hardly the end of the world, get over it.





    Downplaying this issue at all is absurd.



    An alarm clock that you believe works and does not could have fatal consequences if the situation were dire enough.



    This is no where near such an extreme example but regardless...I set my alarm yesterday to wake myself and my child and his mother so they could feed. Not a serious situation at all, but he's still learning to breastfeed, so the schedule is, in my opinion, VERY IMPORTANT.



    So anyone who says it's just an iPhone bug get over it....don't say that to my face.
  • Reply 49 of 136
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post


    Apple: not ready for the enterprise.



    Wow, huge stretch.
  • Reply 50 of 136
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parkettpolitur View Post


    All of your complaints basically apply to the the video game industry as such, not to Windows specifically. Or do you think it's fair to hold Windows/Microsoft responsible for the fact that gaming is migrating - and has been for years - to consoles? Because THAT'S the reason for most of the problems you listed, not Windows. Treyarch really screwed up with Black Ops, yeah, but that's because I'd guess 90% of Black Ops-copies are sold for consoles, so they probably didn't even bother with QC for the PC version.



    Fair enough. Gaming on Windows is a mess because of the video game industry... Really disappointing from Treyarch. COD:MW2 (by Infinity Ward) was fine on PC.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post


    Microsft is to blame that they encourage their platform to be the fragmented mess it is that makes it so hard for developers to optimize their games. And that they hardly pay attention to PC gaming to bother doing something about it.



    Should developers get serious about Mac games and Apple continue to climb the mountain of GPUs and update OS X to freaking OpenGL 4, you would see much better optimized games. Not to mention Apple's APIs such as the Core Stuff and Grand Central. Oh, and OpenCL would be awesome as well.



    I'm not too sure. Microsoft cleaned up its act with Windows7. Sure the platform is fragmented but my Windows7 experience has been mostly okay. Some games have been fine - DeadSpace, MassEffect 2, Starcraft2, COD:MW2, Dirt2... Others have been horrible like NFS:Shift and COD:BlackOps.



    Of course it is starting to look, whoever one blames, like gaming on Windows is a slowly losing battle, I feel.
  • Reply 51 of 136
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post


    Downplaying this issue at all is absurd.



    An alarm clock that you believe works and does not could have fatal consequences if the situation were dire enough.



    This is no where near such an extreme example but regardless...I set my alarm yesterday to wake myself and my child and his mother so they could feed. Not a serious situation at all, but he's still learning to breastfeed, so the schedule is, in my opinion, VERY IMPORTANT.



    So anyone who says it's just an iPhone bug get over it....don't say that to my face.



    Personally, I have never heard feeding by the clock as such in over 40 years of medical research.



    But then, I am not a mother.



    http://www.justmommies.com/articles/...mistakes.shtml
  • Reply 52 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post


    This is like Y2K, but for real. Does anyone know where the issue is stemming from?



    They must have inadvertently hired one of the programmers who were responsible for the MS-DOS Y2K bug.
  • Reply 53 of 136
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post


    Unless it's software controlling a nuclear power plant, or something of similar significance, no software bug is "the end of the world" but I don't believe that that is an appropriate response to any software bug you may experience. - Can't print your spreadsheet? Your WP is corrupting images in your documents? Your music program won't play anything on the left channel? Your adventure game crashes every time you reach 100 points?



    None of these are the end of the world, so "get over it". I don't think so...



    At work I was assigned to checking all our code for Y2K issues and I also worked on the software for scheduling the BBC's London's radio broadcasts for the World service which happened across many, many different countries and time zones. We HAD to get it right or else the 6 O'Clock news for Shanghai could have been going out at 7 O'Clock



    The coding is complicated, but it IS totally knowable in advance. There is software in place to determine leap years, time zone change times in all countries around the world and it is absolutely predictable. Many bugs require a bunch of events to coincide to make them happen some of which are not easily predictable. Alarm clock apps are however completely testable in advance - for example, you could, right now, set the date/time on your iPhone to 23:59:55 on 31st December 2011 and your alarm for 00:01 on the 1st of January 2012 and see whether it works as it should. Easy. Always testing at boundary conditions is the of the first thing any competent programmer learns to check; alarms on the last day of a month, the first day of a year, the first day of a leap year, the 29th of February in a non leap year and so on.



    We know it can be done right because we coded it correctly for the BBC! This is clearly a breakdown in Apple's quality control, is clearly their fault - twice now - and they should fix it pronto when it's so high profile because so many people, including me, use iOS as their alarm and expect an alarm to work. And as the great Oscar Wilde wrote "To lose one parent may be regarded as a misfortune... to lose both seems like carelessness." Get to it Apple.



    I rest my case, a complete overreaction.

    Mr Perfect BBC, you never get anything wrong, if you say no, then you are a liar.

    I know from experience that the BBC are far from perfect.

    Pot and Kettle!
  • Reply 54 of 136
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post


    Many associate 11:11 with a wake-up code/alarm as they see it on digit clocks and watches. It can also be seen as a key to unlock the subconscious mind, our genetic encoded memories, that we are spirits having a physical experience, not physical beings embarking on a spiritual experience.



    11:11 or derivatives of these numbers, 111 and 11, are digits that repeat in time thus a metaphor for reality as patterns that repeat in time for us to experience. This can refer to the rise and fall of civilizations, our personal experiences and lessons, loops in time. They are cycles of time that create and recreate following the blueprint.



    http://www.crystalinks.com/11.11.html



    Cool... Check out my Twitter recording some thoughts that I had on 1.1.2011:

    http://twitter.com/nvidia2011

    (See the ones about we being "spiritual atoms")



    Your link above mentioned:

    "You will experience a sudden awakening after which reality is never the same. You are going to create clarity, healing and balance for yourself. Do not expect others in your life to be on this journey with you. It is yours alone as it is for most souls. You will have to seek new friends of like mind who are also being triggered by the digits. Once you open the Digital Door, there is no going back. Your soul will automatically and quickly move you from level to level of experience until you 'get it'. Your consciousness is expanding and therefore you will, manifest faster and with greater comprehension, becoming more aware of the meaning of synchronicities that will become more and more frequent. They are created by your soul creates to help you remember that you are a soul spark in a physical program that is about to end, evolve back to higher consciousness."



    I definitely felt this on the morning (both early morning at the New Year's party and when I woke up later in the morning) of 1.1.2011! Scary and weird but kinda cool.
  • Reply 55 of 136
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post


    Downplaying this issue at all is absurd.



    An alarm clock that you believe works and does not could have fatal consequences if the situation were dire enough.



    This is no where near such an extreme example but regardless...I set my alarm yesterday to wake myself and my child and his mother so they could feed. Not a serious situation at all, but he's still learning to breastfeed, so the schedule is, in my opinion, VERY IMPORTANT.



    So anyone who says it's just an iPhone bug get over it....don't say that to my face.



    If these things are so important then you would not be relying in one source for your ever so important alarm. What if the battery died?



    People who have critical applications for an alarm and only rely on one source are stupid.
  • Reply 56 of 136
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    OMFG And guess what time I have been setting my Alarm on my iPhone to wake up the past few months, and the alarm which did not go off on 1.1.2011



    Yes, 11AM.



    Those that don't know me will think I am being sarcastic but those that do know me know my New Age leanings.



    Wow. Pretty freakkkky





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post


    Cool... Check out my Twitter recording some thoughts that I had on 1.1.2011:

    http://twitter.com/nvidia2011

    (See the ones about we being "spiritual atoms")



    Your link above mentioned:

    "You will experience a sudden awakening after which reality is never the same. You are going to create clarity, healing and balance for yourself. Do not expect others in your life to be on this journey with you. It is yours alone as it is for most souls. You will have to seek new friends of like mind who are also being triggered by the digits. Once you open the Digital Door, there is no going back. Your soul will automatically and quickly move you from level to level of experience until you 'get it'. Your consciousness is expanding and therefore you will, manifest faster and with greater comprehension, becoming more aware of the meaning of synchronicities that will become more and more frequent. They are created by your soul creates to help you remember that you are a soul spark in a physical program that is about to end, evolve back to higher consciousness."



    I definitely felt this on the morning (both early morning at the New Year's party and when I woke up later in the morning) of 1.1.2011! Scary and weird but kinda cool.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post


    Many associate 11:11 with a wake-up code/alarm as they see it on digit clocks and watches. It can also be seen as a key to unlock the subconscious mind, our genetic encoded memories, that we are spirits having a physical experience, not physical beings embarking on a spiritual experience.



    11:11 or derivatives of these numbers, 111 and 11, are digits that repeat in time thus a metaphor for reality as patterns that repeat in time for us to experience. This can refer to the rise and fall of civilizations, our personal experiences and lessons, loops in time. They are cycles of time that create and recreate following the blueprint.



    http://www.crystalinks.com/11.11.html



  • Reply 57 of 136
    Lawsuits should be forthcoming soon (as long as they don't use the alarm function to remind them to file)...
  • Reply 58 of 136
    Not everyone is experiencing this one-off alarm bug. I've tried this multiple times today on both my iPhone and iPad, and my one-off alarms have worked perfectly. So, there's something a bit more complicated occurring here that will take a bit more testing to narrow down and fix.
  • Reply 59 of 136
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mimsyswallows View Post


    Is this the third time, or am I mis-remembering? What is so hard about doing the alarm app right?



    Yes and no. It is the third report but as I recall the bug was never confirmed as fixed so it may be the same bug.



    And like before, it is not hitting everyone, there are mentions of jail breaking having been done etc. So it is a bit of a messy thing to sort out. Even if they thought they had fixed it before they are not perfect (shocking I know) and perhaps didn't get everything the first time



    I haven't heard many reports of problems from iPad which I am assuming is because they don't update the time automatically. Something that has been complained about but this time could be a very good thing as the trouble may lie somewhere in the code and how the system pulls time updates.
  • Reply 60 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave Marsh View Post


    Not everyone is experiencing this one-off alarm bug. I've tried this multiple times today on both my iPhone and iPad, and my one-off alarms have worked perfectly. So, there's something a bit more complicated occurring here that will take a bit more testing to narrow down and fix.



    My system is 4.2.1 and the alarms don't set. My wife's system is 3.1.3 and her alarms set just fine.



    I might add that I just had major suegery and I'm on pain meds that are strictly monitored in delivery times. Needless to say, this screwed up my delivery times since it first happened at night. I'm OK, but it's taken some doing to get back "on the groove".



    And no, I'm not going to sue Apple over this. Software has bugs. that's its nature. But I must say that the 4.x update has had more than its share of flaws and bugs. That's very unlike Apple in my experience, and I've owned Apple products since 1984.
Sign In or Register to comment.