RIM PlayBook unlikely to match Apple iPad without larger battery - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Maybe it?s just me but your username seems like you don?t expect to use it for for very long.

Probably just you.
  • Reply 22 of 55
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I was gonna point out these two things, but I guess this analyst actually knows what he is talking about. I am actually surprised that Galaxy Tab has such a good battery life on, though I guess Samsung does manufacture a lot of Apple's parts and may know a thing or two about making power efficient chips.

RIM has a distinct advantage over Samsung. Like Apple, RIM controls the hardware and software so i suspect that the device will be capable of over 6 hours of battery life unless its running at full tilt constantly.

RIM has a great track record with their phone devices (granted they run the old BBOS with a lot of upper tier capabilities missing) but it is designed around their hardware. Even though QNX is new to RIM im sure they know there is a benchmark they need to reach to be successful.
  • Reply 23 of 55
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    This is the issue with opening your mouth before you have something to show: Regardless of what you say is or isn't the truth, any negative press--true or not--will have a deleterious effect.

For an analyst to say, "The battery won't last," and for your response to be, "Yes it will"--well, that simply does not look good.

It's a lot better to STFU, release your product, then let it speak for itself, after which people will judge it on the actual product, on not on analysts' prognostications, which usually focus on the negatives (that is, what will lose their customers money).
  • Reply 24 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"At the end of the day, we are glad RIM is working hard on improving battery life as it will be good for both customers and shareholders."

Best quote from an analyst I've read in years. Good competition between vendors means we all win.
  • Reply 25 of 55
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

RIM has a distinct advantage over Samsung. Like Apple, RIM controls the hardware and software so i suspect that the device will be capable of over 6 hours of battery life unless its running at full tilt constantly.

Samsung has control over the HW and SW, too. Android is completely open vendors to meddle anyway they wish and this isn?t Samsung?s first mobile device using Android, yet it is RiM?s first foray into both QNX and Adobe AIR as a UI, which in itself seems troublesome. Frankly, I have more faith in Samsung than RiM when it comes to making a modern mobile device.
  • Reply 26 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

This is to be expected as it's the first product to use RIM's new operating system. Let's not forget that the first iOS device (the 1st gen iPhone) had to cut vital features like 3G and GPS in order to have an acceptable battery life. As iOS matured, so did its power conservation. I'd expect the same from QNX.

I'm not an expert by any means, but my understanding is that QNX is to RIM's new OS as Darwin is to OS-X. In other words the QNX part is the kernel(s) and the services and the rest of the OS is Adobe Air graphics and Javascript programs running on top.

So ... QNX (which has been around for years), is already optimised, but primarily as an embedded systems OS, so the power requirements may not have been something anyone looked at previous to RIM's using it for the Playbook. Additionally, the Adobe Air/Javascript parts are probably not optimised either since they are third party code originally intended for the desktop.

All in all it's quite a mess of stuff they are trying to cobble together for the Playbook OS. It seems like a much harder job than simply stripping down something like OS-X and putting a new graphical front end on it as Apple has done.
  • Reply 27 of 55
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    It isn't to be expected when the CEO says its product is vastly superior to other comparable product out there.

Further, Apple likely didn't offer 3G initially because it wasn't widely available on AT&T at the time of the first iPhone. AT&T invested heavily in that after the fact. It likely had little to do with battery consumption. The lack of GPS had more to do with Apple's reliance on Google for the mapping software.

Quote:

This is to be expected as it's the first product to use RIM's new operating system.

Let's not forget that the first iOS device (the 1st gen iPhone) had to cut vital features like 3G and GPS in order to have an acceptable battery life.

As iOS matured, so did its power conservation. I'd expect the same from QNX.

• Reply 28 of 55
    Quote:

This is to be expected as it's the first product to use RIM's new operating system.

Let's not forget that the first iOS device (the 1st gen iPhone) had to cut vital features like 3G and GPS in order to have an acceptable battery life.

As iOS matured, so did its power conservation. I'd expect the same from QNX.

the difference is, Apple never blew smoke up people's rear-ends about how great and superior their product is before they had a final product to ship. Then, most importantly, they were RIGHT about how great it was, despite the GPS/3G flaws. I don't see RIM shipping a product proportionately superior relative to the "smack" they're talking.

Also, the Pre analogy made earlier is quite apt. Rubenstein laughed at the prospect of selling the Pre for less than the iPhone - I believe his quote was (paraphrasing) "Why would we sell a superior product for less money?" We all know how that worked out for him.
  • Reply 29 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You know, AI pays a lot of attention to RIM. It's a dying company. Let it die in peace. Go to the light!

Light being?
  • Reply 30 of 55
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member
    True, but that's one of the reasons why Apple left those features off in the beginning. Battery life is pretty darn important. It would be nice to have all of the bells and whistles, but if it sucks your battery dry in record time, what good is multi-tasking, if it kills your battery?

As time goes on, I expect that the Playbook is a ways off yet. RIM shouldn't have done so much talking and boasting until the device was ready to be mass produced. That has really turned up the pressure on them. It's clearly unfinished. They need to ship and soon. That said, I hope that they don't do what they did with the Storm. Ship it when it's ready. REALLY ready.
  • Reply 31 of 55
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post

I guess someone should start a RIM deathknell counter. I think Apple's reached into the 1000s before success finally stifled the myopic visionaries.

Actually, I think there still people out there predicting Apple's demise at some point, you hear all the time if apple does not do this or that they will fail.

I just like how so many people hate success and they are just waiting for a failure.

I think RIM will be around for a long time, just like MS they will just be less relevant in the future. They have a strong foot hold in to corporate America and these guys are slow to change direction. Just like MS who makes billions on licensing and maintenance agreements with large corporate account, RIM does the same thing.

With that said the tide is starting to turn, many companies are moving to google mail verses outlook and also google apps, so MS is loosing ground in their primary market as companies look for ways to reduce their dependency on MS and cutting their cost and right now RIM is expensive to companies. see the chart below is showing the downward trend on RIM in favor or Google and Apple

• Reply 32 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You know, AI pays a lot of attention to RIM. It's a dying company. Let it die in peace. Go to the light!

Funny...RIM needs to hire Jobs. After all, Stevo is only getting paid a dollar a year!
  • Reply 33 of 55
    My CEO father used to say, "In business, if you're not growing, you're dying!"

This has to be even more apropos in the fast moving tech industry...

RIP RIM!
  • Reply 34 of 55
    Poor RIM. It's like "coming in second" in a duel at twenty paces!

Best
  • Reply 35 of 55
    I think Apple is leading the way in Battery-life innovation....
  • Reply 36 of 55
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    ?We?ve learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone,? he said. ?PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They?re not going to just walk in.?

Some things are turning around all of a sudden.

After the Palm guy made those comments, you can be sure all the mobile phone guys were nodding in agreement.

They all felt that Apple would not be able to pull it through and be able to make something work.

Well guess what. The old mobile phone has all of sudden become a new miniature computer.

And everything in Tablet size is nothing but a glorified bigger phone (excuse me Computer).

I wonder what those phone guys are saying and thinking now.

All I can say is those "phone guys are not going to just figure this out. It will be real hard for them to just walk in".
  • Reply 37 of 55
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Re: "QNX wasn't originally designed for low-powered mobile environments"

Uh oh. That means RIM will be thrashing to get QNX ready for release ASAP. And that means they will be making mistakes. You simply can't hurry software development. If you shorten the schedule, you cut down testing time, which means bugs will be released.

That, plus the fact that the PlayBook will use off-the-shelf CPUs and batteries, and you have a perfect storm of hurt. Not a bag of hurt. A perfect storm of hurt.
  • Reply 38 of 55
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Samsung has control over the HW and SW, too. Android is completely open vendors to meddle anyway they wish and this isn?t Samsung?s first mobile device using Android, yet it is RiM?s first foray into both QNX and Adobe AIR as a UI, which in itself seems troublesome. Frankly, I have more faith in Samsung than RiM when it comes to making a modern mobile device.

Samsung, while having control does not take battery life into main consideration. I own a Vibrant and while its a great elite device, its battery life is fairly miserable stock with less than 12 hours a day if you use it only moderately. Hell even my old Evo i used to own had better battery life. If it werent for the custom ROM/Kernel im running idk if i'd still even be using my Vibrant to be honest, its funny that my Vibrant can actually go the full day now that its not running the stock garbage Samsung puts onto it.

Contrast that to say Motorola who can pull out iPhone 4 besting battery life in their devices while still offering great performance, it affirms my decision that Samsung is not a benchmark in the slightest. I guarantee Motorola's upcoming tablet will soundly trump the Tab, even with its faster dual core processor with better performance and battery life.

So RIM has QNX, which is not a new OS at all, with an Adobe AIR layer for the UI. RIM can pull it off, they've got the hardware which has been the main shortcoming for RIM, and the software to back it up hopefully, which so far looks extremely promising.
  • Reply 39 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Actually, I think there still people out there predicting Apple's demise at some point, you hear all the time if apple does not do this or that they will fail.

I just like how so many people hate success and they are just waiting for a failure.

I think RIM will be around for a long time, just like MS they will just be less relevant in the future. They have a strong foot hold in to corporate America and these guys are slow to change direction. Just like MS who makes billions on licensing and maintenance agreements with large corporate account, RIM does the same thing.

With that said the tide is starting to turn, many companies are moving to google mail verses outlook and also google apps, so MS is loosing ground in their primary market as companies look for ways to reduce their dependency on MS and cutting their cost and right now RIM is expensive to companies. see the chart below is showing the downward trend on RIM in favor or Google and Apple

I think that over the years similar things could have been said about Atari, Commodore 64 etc.

Market leaders that seemingly disappeared over night.

The problem when looking at Rim is that they are booking decent revenue but are these sales from growth or replacement sales and bargain hunters? It is possible, that even with the revenue they have, that their sales are about to fall off a cliff. Using Bogo (buy one get one free) to drive sales can improve revenue but can also rapidly shrink your potential customer pool. My opinion is that if the tablet and it's new os are not a hit then Rim will find itself in the same boat as Palm after Webos and the Pre failed to win enough buyers. Even the back end server work that they do and the corporate management tools they sell are becoming irrelevant.
  • Reply 40 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

My CEO father used to say, "In business, if you're not growing, you're dying!"

This has to be even more apropos in the fast moving tech industry...

RIP RIM!

not meaning to sound morbid, but what happened to him? did he die?