RIM PlayBook unlikely to match Apple iPad without larger battery - report

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

RIM does have a loyal Blackberry following. With that in mind RIM reminds me of Apple in the 90s... resting on its laurels for too long and then doing its damnedest to try and stay current. The only difference to keep in mind is that RIM has always had a much larger following for their product than Apple had for Macs (percentages etc.).

That tells me that they are still a viable company... but they need a SJ to pull them out of the toilet.

Ah, aren't two heads better than one?
  • Reply 42 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You know, AI pays a lot of attention to RIM.

AI also seems to pay undue attention to Shaw Woozer. Or is that just for laughs?
  • Reply 43 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JBFromOZ View Post

not meaning to sound morbid, but what happened to him? did he die?

We all die, J! He was speaking, in business terms, metaphorically!

He passed away 2 years ago. The funniest, smartest man I every knew. A real empirical thinker! I miss him a lot!

Best!

Eg. When he was a manager trainee for Beechman's Group in the 1950's, he'd be in a meeting with 20 other trainees headed by a Director of "something or other" dept. and he would take the London Times want ads and circle in red a few job openings...he would then pass it to the guy sitting next to him. Who would immediately pass it to the next guy and so on...until the Director noticed it and asked to see what was being passed around...the "last" guy who had it was mortified because he'd be the one to reluctantly give it to the Director....I'm sure the Director would make a mental note of the "goof" that gave him a London Times Want Ad section with a few job openings circled in red...

Hope this conveys in written form....Best
  • Reply 44 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GmanMac View Post

As for RIM they are barley on the radar screen now

What you said except it ought to be malted. (ducks...)
  • Reply 45 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Poor RIM. It's like "coming in second" in a duel at twenty paces!

Great comment. It reminds me of something that occurred in the 60s when the US hosted the Soviet Union in a dual track meet at Stanford. The US won handily but Pravda had to put an optimistic spin on the news about the home team with these (true) headlines:
    USSR comes in 2nd in big international track meet
    USA comes in 2nd to last
  • Reply 46 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Great comment. It reminds me of something that occurred in the 60s when the US hosted the Soviet Union in a dual track meet at Stanford. The US won handily but Pravda had to put an optimistic spin on the news about the home team with these (true) headlines:
    USSR comes in 2nd in big international track meet
    USA comes in 2nd to last

Thanks E. I remember a lot of similar things like that coming Pravda the State owned newspaper from the former Soviet Union. They just didn't realize how defensive they sounded. Like they had a major chip on their shoulder!

I used to be a navigator in the US Navy in the Med. in the late '70's and when one of their vessels passed us they would dump their trash into the sea in our way...pretty childish for a supposed world power at the time. Oh well. Like Doris Day said, "Que So What, So What!"

Best
  • Reply 47 of 55
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

If not, Microsoft can always buy them out, like they did with Danger, Inc. Look how well that turned out! Oh wait...

Microsoft + Danger = Data loss
  • Reply 48 of 55
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

RIM does have a loyal Blackberry following

Really? Loyal? Based on what?

My blackberry goes bye-bye next week. Approval and support for the iPhone will be coming this year in my organization. By the end of this year if we have 20% of the blackberry's we have now it will be a miracle for RIM.
  • Reply 49 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mknopp View Post

+++

Woah - what a long day, I expected to see an "OK" after reading that line....
  • Reply 50 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Thanks E. I remember a lot of similar things like that coming Pravda the State owned newspaper from the former Soviet Union. They just didn't realize how defensive they sounded. Like they had a major chip on their shoulder!

I used to be a navigator in the US Navy in the Med. in the late '70's and when one of their vessels passed us they would dump their trash into the sea in our way...pretty childish for a supposed world power at the time. Oh well. Like Doris Day said, "Que So What, So What!"

Best

That's rich! At least they didn't try mooning you guys! That would have been WW III !
  • Reply 51 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Even though QNX is new to RIM im sure they know there is a benchmark they need to reach to be successful.

Knowing you have to meet said benchmark and meeting it in a time period that is relevant enough for you to retain customers let alone attract new ones are two different things entirely.

Just saying....
  • Reply 52 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HahaHaha321 View Post

Dying company? Funny.

I think Wall Street really wants to kill off this Canadian company. RIM was the darling of Wall Street for a number of years but ever since Android came into being with cheap, slick smartphones, WS doesn't think any company outside of Apple (and maybe not even Apple) can stop the Android domination. I feel certain that RIM has a decent company and does have some life, but I'll bet that every investor wants to short the stock down to nothing. Talk about love turning into hate. That's RIM.
  • Reply 53 of 55
    tnsftnsf Posts: 203member
    Executive: Hey IT, my Playbook only lasts half the day.

IT: Yeah, you have to charge it a couple times a day because its got amazing dual-core power and flash.

Executive: I want my iPad back.
  • Reply 54 of 55
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don?t think it was so much an iOS maturing that kept out 3G but 3G HW maturing.

No, that's another one of DED's baseless theories.

The first UMTS phones were released commercially on NTT DoCoMo in 2001. The 1st gen iPhone was released 6 years later, with the first 3G iPhone 12 months behind it. Technology rarely sees a sudden spurt of improvement 6-7 years into it's life-cycle.

Modem manufacturers always claim better battery life in their newer products but after about 2005 the improvements were minimal. Compare the average 3G talktime between phones from 2007 and 2008 and the difference is negligible.
  • Reply 55 of 55
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

No, that's another one of DED's baseless theories.

The first UMTS phones were released commercially on NTT DoCoMo in 2001. The 1st gen iPhone was released 6 years later, with the first 3G iPhone 12 months behind it. Technology rarely sees a sudden spurt of improvement 6-7 years into it's life-cycle.

Modem manufacturers always claim better battery life in their newer products but after about 2005 the improvements were minimal. Compare the average 3G talktime between phones from 2007 and 2008 and the difference is negligible.

1) Jobs said as much.

2) UMTS being available in 2001 doesn’t mean that there was an HSDPA chip that was small enough and power efficient enough to work with Apple’s needs for the first iPhone.

3) You appear to be comparing UMTS that came out in 2001 to the UMTS(HSDPA) that came out in the iPhone in 2008. You think a jump from 384Kbps to 3.6Mbps or 7.2Mbps in Release 5 a jump is minimal improvement or a negligible difference? These are very real and dramatic changes and each category being more complex.

4) Apple’s phones have increased in battery usage and they’ve done that with a faster processor and 4x as many pixels to push to the display, a much faster 3G speeds up and down. That makes it impossible to look at any one phone and say where the power and space savings are coming from. The bottom line is that 3GPP standard is progressing.