Apple set to open Mac App Store at noon Eastern on Thursday - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnwhite1000 View Post

I thought this feature was to be included as part of the 10.6.6 update?

I can't remember when it wasn't included.
  • Reply 22 of 61
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I remember back when the MB Air was released. People complained about it not having an optical drive because of installing apps. At the time I argued that very few apps are being sold through CD anymore. Only the largest apps. At this point just about all 3rd party apps can be downloaded from the web.

Mac App Store Awakens Tomorrow Morning, Phase 3 Of Operation: Compact Disc Dirt Nap
  • Reply 23 of 61
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Anyone else wish to predict the number of apps available on the Mac App Store on day one?

Mine: 2,842

Same numbers. Arranged differently: 8,224
  • Reply 24 of 61
    rraburrabu Posts: 264member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

The screen shot shows it as a standalone App Store app (although the Dock indicates that nothing is running and doesn't show an App Store icon). Presumably tomorrow you go to Apple.com, there will be a big front page ad, directing you to a place to download the new app and get started.

I'll be very interested to see how this works. One of the awesome things about the iOS App Store is that apps aren't tied to a particular device. I buy an app for $5 or whatever and I can use it on my iPhone and my wife and kid can use it on their iPod touches (same iTunes account). I doubt that will be the case for the Mac OS App Store, but is sure would be nice. Actually, that's how Steam works so maybe it's not so unreasonable, Steam includes checks to make sure you aren't running the same app on multiple devices at the same time.

Update: it's amazing what 8 seconds of "research" can learn ya: "Buy and download. And even redownload. You can install Mac apps on every Mac you use and even download them again. This is especially convenient when you buy a new Mac and want to load it with apps you already own."

http://www.apple.com/mac/app-store/

Sweet

Looks like a new application called "App Store". The link you posted has a big picture of it running on an older Macbook Air (maybe this image is new). It shows the application name in the menubar and the icon of it running in the Dock. The icon is repeated below the image beside the text "Great apps for your Mac. Right on your Mac."
  • Reply 25 of 61
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member

The Mac App Store is itself an app.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

How is the store accessed? iTunes? Safari?

• Reply 26 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

SL was a very cheap upgrade though so why not install it if your Mac is up to the level that can? If my old iBook G4 can so just about anything can but sadly not your Apple /// of course

Your iBook G4 can run Leopard, but not Snow Leopard. Snow Leopard is the first Intel only release.
  • Reply 27 of 61
    At first when the App Store was announced I felt indifferent. Now that the idea has had time to sink in, I think it will change Mac Software going forward, for the better. I'm really looking forward to launch tomorrow. Companies like RealMac Software are even lowering some of their prices for the Mac App Store with anticipation of reaching more customers. Every Mac owner can now have access to a huge selection of Apps right from their computer. Lowering prices for software because of a greater reach should benefit all in the end. Looking forward to the future of the Mac and now with the App Store, this should be great!
  • Reply 28 of 61
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,815member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

So it's an 'app app'
  • Reply 29 of 61
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,815member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darwiniandude View Post

Your iBook G4 can run Leopard, but not Snow Leopard. Snow Leopard is the first Intel only release.

Oh yes, that's right ... my bad. How time flies, I had the same conversation it seems days ago about why upgrade to Leo and got mixed up,
  • Reply 30 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

So it's an 'app app'

I hope we don't need an App Store Downloader App...
  • Reply 31 of 61
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple/// View Post

Too bad the Mac App Store is not available for Leopard. I understand that Apple wants to entice more users to upgrade to Snow Leopard. I wonder how many Snow Leopard units have sold to date.

At least early on, so I suspect for its lifetime on the market, Snow Leopard vastly outsold Leopard. I don't have the numbers handy, but Snow Leopard is far ahead. I do know that in its first two weeks on the market, SL sold twice as many copes as Leopard did in its first two weeks, and the combined total for Leopard and Tiger's first two weeks was also outsold by Leopard.

Besides, it's not surprising the Mac App Store isn't available for Leopard, Apple doesn't want the store to have to contain Universal Binaries or Apps that need Rosetta (Which are explicitly banned). Nice, clean and Intel-only.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HahaHaha321 View Post

I hope we don't need an App Store Downloader App...

We do, but it's called Software Update, so we already have it
  • Reply 32 of 61
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I like the idea of being able to buy only those iLife and Oslo apps that you need. For example, I don't use iWeb at all, and if I can save a few bucks not buying it it's a good thing, even if combined they cost the same as the cd version. I am exited to see new smaller developers offering reasonable priced apps at the store and will definitely check it out. My only concern is apple making this a mandatory way of installing things on the Mac. That would be terrible.
  • Reply 33 of 61
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,433moderator
    What would be nice round about Thursday is new Sandy Bridge Macbook Pros without optical drives to go with this new App Store.
  • Reply 34 of 61
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Ahhhh, I see now: very cool!
  • Reply 35 of 61
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I like the idea of being able to buy only those iLife and Oslo apps that you need. For example, I don't use iWeb at all, and if I can save a few bucks not buying it it's a good thing, even if combined they cost the same as the cd version. I am exited to see new smaller developers offering reasonable priced apps at the store and will definitely check it out. My only concern is apple making this a mandatory way of installing things on the Mac. That would be terrible.

You have read, heard or seen something that Apple wrote, said or showed that implied, indicated or declared they would?
  • Reply 36 of 61
    xsamplexxsamplex Posts: 214member
    Much anticipated by who? What a crock lede.
  • Reply 37 of 61
    I guess my biggest concern now is isolated libraries of iOS and MacOS apps which aren't compatible on the other's hardware.

I've started to amass quite a few iPad apps. Some of them I'd love to run on MacOS. I've also been realizing that I really did need a MacOS portable with touchscreen functionality. While I love the iPad, it *is* a big iPod and it *does* have limitations.

I will be interested to see how these technologies converge in the coming years. Lion seems to already be a step in that direction.
  • Reply 38 of 61
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnwhite1000 View Post

I thought this feature was to be included as part of the 10.6.6 update?

Not from anything Apple has said.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

I can't remember when it wasn't included.

Given that it hasn't ever been stated to be included, I can't remember when it was.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macapptraining View Post

Every Mac owner can now have access to a huge selection of Apps right from their computer

As opposed to all the boxes of Mac applications in stores. We've had to use the Internet to find apps for the past decade, so it's no different.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Much anticipated by who? What a crock lede.

Not sure what a lede is, but it's anticipated.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

I guess my biggest concern now is isolated libraries of iOS and MacOS apps which aren't compatible on the other's hardware.

So you're concerned about the situation remaining exactly the same.
  • Reply 39 of 61
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 40 of 61
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted