Apple restricting employee vacations as first 2011 products loom

Comments

• Reply 21 of 85
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    I wonder if Apple will preview iOS 5 like they did iOS 4 back in February last year..
  • Reply 22 of 85
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a1ang View Post

There is very little or no pent up demand for the notebooks refresh. Certainly not enough to lock out your retail staff from vacations. The Verizon iPhone would seem to have the most pent up demand and enough to take an action with vacation staffing. If you overlay a surge from iPad2 then you I could really justify taking a pretty significant step like shutting down vacations.

I'm not sure if the supply chain could handle a high-volume launch like the iPad 2 in late January. A CDMA iPhone? Maybe. The biggest issue is that Chinese manufacturing lines are going to shut down for two weeks in early February for the lunar new year.

I do think a smaller launch like notebooks would be able to weather the two-week shutdown.
  • Reply 23 of 85
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechManMike View Post

I would agree with you initially but....Does Apple ever launch products simultaneously in the US and let's say europe??? The iPad was only available in the US for months before it was available in any other country. I especially know because I was working at the apple store during the ipad launch and there would be tons upon tons of people from europe and asia in the store buying iPads.

The iPad was a completely new product. They roll those out slowly. The iPhone 4 launched simultaneously in the US, UK, France and some other countries. I think it's likely the iPad 2 would do the same.
  • Reply 24 of 85
    halhikerhalhiker Posts: 111member
    They are probably going to FINALLY be updating the Airport Express! Awesome. I love that thing.
  • Reply 25 of 85
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackpond View Post

I have a hard time understanding why so many people think a new iPhone refresh would be on time in January and an iPad 2 refresh would be 'too soon'. The first iPad was released months before iPhone 4...

Too soon for iPad2 but not for Verizon iPhone DOES make sense if you subscribe to the theory that it will in effect be a iPhone4 version for Verizon.

People who just got iPhones (like my father-in-law would not care in the least because it would not make his phone "obsolete."

My co-workers who just got iPads, however, would be outdone if a "new and improved" iPad came out this soon...
  • Reply 26 of 85
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    I don't think anything short of the iPhone 5, in terms of iPhones, would warrant this - not CDMA, not white, not even both. It sounds like iPad 2. That's just a guess like, but to me, it feels like iPad 2. It could well be CDMA iPhone AND iPad 2, which would DEFINITELY warrant such action.
  • Reply 27 of 85
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Well, we can guarantee its not going to be the ATV.

or...
  • Reply 28 of 85
    rtdunhamrtdunham Posts: 428member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cronked View Post

...the Verizon iPhone. Leaks are coming out left and right of the new hardware (referred to as iPhone 5)....

I think you'll find a CDMA version of the new phone is different than iPhone 5, which would be the anticipated next yearly update to the ATT iPhone. Unless apple intro's iPhone 5 in ATT & Verizon flavors simultaneously. That's not a given.
  • Reply 29 of 85
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halhiker View Post

They are probably going to FINALLY be updating the Airport Express! Awesome. I love that thing.

To what?
  • Reply 30 of 85
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    its Big BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG

Can you hear me now?
  • Reply 31 of 85
    If I was among the maddening crowd who bought an iPad as a holiday gift, I'd be pretty upset to see the new one debut so soon thereafter. The iPhone I can understand, but I think iPad 2 needs to come out later to avoid angering the fans who knew a new one would come...albeit later in 2011, not right away.

They should call it 'iPhone V,' a double play on roman numeral 5 and V for Verizon.
  • Reply 32 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChrisNH View Post

If I was among the maddening crowd who bought an iPad as a holiday gift, I'd be pretty upset to see the new one debut so soon thereafter. The iPhone I can understand, but I think iPad 2 needs to come out later to avoid angering the fans who knew a new one would come...albeit later in 2011, not right away.

They should call it 'iPhone V,' a double play on roman numeral 5 and V for Verizon.

You think they should base the name of a product that will form an entire pillar of their business on a pointless play on words which only applies in one territory?
  • Reply 33 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

You think they should base the name of a product that will form an entire pillar of their business on a pointless play on words which only applies in one territory?

Yes.

• Reply 34 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yes.

Okey dokey.
  • Reply 35 of 85
    pik80pik80 Posts: 148member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

I think using the tying the V in would make a good tag line. It would certainly make way more sense then using an X for 10. It only applies to one territory but it is a big one for a lot of people so it makes sense to play up.
  • Reply 36 of 85
    I'm really trying not to get too excited because I've been down this road too many times, but I've gotta say...I'm pretty damn excited right now!
  • Reply 37 of 85
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    I think Apple might call the event something in the theme of Wireless connectivity, announcing the new MobileMe, iWork.com, iTunes cloud and new routers like airport extreme. In the end the "one more thing" is gonna be the iPhone for Verizon.

iPad might come at the end of March.

Just some speculations.
  • Reply 38 of 85
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    It must be the long-awaited G5 PowerBook.
  • Reply 39 of 85
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

To what?

The Spaceport Express.
  • Reply 40 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

It must be the long-awaited G5 PowerBook.

Haha!

That joke just made my day